• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I may need to rewatch the Direct. I don't remember seeing this.

What a waste. Not even his own stage.

It's over guys. Best we got is Peach and Daisy's grapple. Rubbish.
Unfortunately he wasn’t even shown in the direct. People had to find him through the Smash website’s stage section.

No dignity for the good captain.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Where was Captain Toad shown in New Donk City?

We need to see proof.

Also, even if Captain Toad is in the background, he can still be in. Look at Toon Link and the Spirit Tracks stage. Granted I am not optimistic at all, but its still a possibility.

Three characters who had huge obstacles against them made it in today. Both K. Rool and Dark Samus made their last appearance in their own series 11 years ago, and Chrom is now three games behind in a series that tends to only rep the freshest face for its newcomers.

The Toad Brigade are down for sure, but not out.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Where was Captain Toad shown in New Donk City?

We need to see proof
Valkyrie and I attached screenshots of the Smash website where Captain Toad is shown. I’m afraid it’s true.

You may not think you’re very optimistic, but I think you’re more optimistic than a lot of us right now!

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
I may need to rewatch the Direct. I don't remember seeing this.

What a waste. Not even his own stage.

It's over guys. Best we got is Peach and Daisy's grapple. Rubbish.
It’s actually worse then being an assist trophy. Characters like Shovel Knight, Waluigi and others have bigger roles then Captain Toad.

It’s honestly pathetic in my opinion, a background character and probably a trophy to go with it. Such a shame as Captain Toad would bring so much more content to the game imo. A stage with Wingo being a stage hazard, Toadette being an echo, soundtracks from Treasure Tracker. It’s such a wasted opportunity.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
If he doesn't get the Alfonzo treatment in the base game.
we can always hope for DLC right?
at least if he isn't an assist trophy like Waluigi, Ashley or Shovel Knight, he could get added as a fighter later easier than they could.
I know I'm basically in the bargaining phase of my grief right now.
I don't want to give up hope.
but things really do look bad for the captain right now.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Three characters who had huge obstacles against them made it in today. Both K. Rool and Dark Samus made their last appearance in their own series 11 years ago, and Chrom is now three games behind in a series that tends to only rep the freshest face for its newcomers.

I guess so, but there's really nothing for us to go off anymore to even discuss the guy now, since he's apparently still doing his background character-rumba since Melee.

Sakurai personally doesn't seem to have any goodwill on this guy, now just ignoring him like he did to Starfy in last game. :dizzy:

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
If he doesn't get the Alfonzo treatment in the base game.
we can always hope for DLC right?
at least if he isn't an assist trophy like Waluigi, Ashley or Shovel Knight, he could get added as a fighter later easier than they could.
I know I'm basically in the bargaining phase of my grief right now.
I don't want to give up hope.
but things really do look bad for the captain right now.
We need to hope his re-release on Switch is a big hit if we ever want a glimmer of hope for Captain Toad to be in as DLC. Captain Toad needs to be in the million sellers list in the next financial report or else we may as well give it cuts and wait for the next Smash (if there is going to be another one).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Valkyrie and I attached screenshots of the Smash website where Captain Toad is shown. I’m afraid it’s true.

You may not think you’re very optimistic, but I think you’re more optimistic than a lot of us right now!
Ah. I did not see it. If his only role is in the background, he still technically could happen, but I would not hold my breath. I would just see him as de-confirmed at this point. It is a crying shame. He might be the only Nintendo All-Star left to add in after Ultimate's release. It really is a shame. Becoming Peach's special in Melee was an eternal curse for the character, not a brilliant compromise.

Today on the whole was very good though. Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom, and K. Rool. All of those characters made it in.

We can still keep this thread open to discuss Toad. However, at this point, we should basically see him as de-confirmed. If he is confirmed, it will be perhaps the greatest turnabout in the history of Smash Bros. (heck, Dark Samus's own confirmation happening in it of itself was incredible).

If Dixie Kong, Isabelle, and Bandanna Dee all make it in, it will be pretty strange not to have Toad in some form as well. Toad might very well be the single unluckiest character ever. Dark Samus and Chrom both got second chances. Why cannot Toad?

Overall, Sakurai continues to exceed expectations with Ultimate.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I just got around to watching the direct.

And then I came here afterwards and read the crushing news.
I have officially given up my hope on getting Toad in. I'm packing up and heading out. I'll see you all again when the next Smash is announced. (If I visited threads other than Toad's support thread, I'd stick around. But the Toad speculation is the only reason I stick around here!)

Perhaps a miracle will happen. But I'm not counting on it!
Keep on adventuring Toad Brigade!

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet

I have officially given up my hope on getting Toad in. I'm packing up and heading out. I'll see you all again when the next Smash is announced. (If I visited threads other than Toad's support thread, I'd stick around. But the Toad speculation is the only reason I stick around here!)

All the best!

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm not disappointed by Captain Toad being on NDC, as I've explained before on this thread I've considered him deconfirmed since E3.

But it's irritating to me that they're making so few new stages. I get the "Everyone is Here" approach for characters, but it's boring and annoying when applied to stages. We get four new stages in the entire game, BUT HEY MUSHROOM KINGDOM II, MUTE CITY 3DS, AND GREAT CAVE OFFENSIVE ARE BACK!

Captain Toad could've had a good stage. More importantly, Bowser's Castle should have been a stage 3 games ago. We could have gotten a good Paper Mario stage, or a Mario Party stage, or a 3d World Stage. And that's just Mario. But no.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Let's face it. Until Sakurai retires, Toad probably isn't ever getting in Smash as a playable role.

I don't know if Sakurai came home one day and found Toad in bed with his wife, wearing his slippers, smoking his pipe and eating all his favourite chocolates, but god damn does he not want to give one of the last true Nintendo All Stars a playable role. It's a crying shame, and this is probably the last Smash game I'll ever get to play before settling down for good.

I'm genuinely not invested in who we get now. Even if we get Dee, Dixie and Impa, the other three I want, I'm still not going to be able to call this game 'Ultimate' sadly.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I will always support Toad and his chances for Smash; however, this does look very bleak for Captain Toad's chances atm. Sure, they could pull an Alfonzo or DLC...however, I personally don't feel too optimistic this time around. This stings - the Captain was barely shown off too as a stage element as well.

I hope that someday Toad will finally get in to complete the heroes cast of the Mario series. He keeps passed up for other Mario characters over the years, and at this rate there's a certain purple silhouette looming and growing stronger as well around the web. While I'll certainly stick around for Smash updates, I'll probably be a spectator at this point as the Toad support thread was the main reason for me coming here as well.

Let's hope Treasure Tracker can get a sequel as well as the Captain getting more appearances in the Mario series as a whole. Keep on tracking treasure and smashing my friends. This game may not be an Ultimate to me either without a certain mushroom headed lad; however, it's staggering to see how much work was put into the game as well at this rate.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
It would appear he's not on the stage all the time actually:

Where he go?
While I'd like to take this as a hint that he has a chance, I think it's much more likely that he just flies in somehow. After all, Pauline and the Super Mario Players aren't always on the stage either; they swoop in on hovering platforms.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
While I'd like to take this as a hint that he has a chance, I think it's much more likely that he just flies in somehow. After all, Pauline and the Super Mario Players aren't always on the stage either; they swoop in on hovering platforms.
Well, he certainly isn't going to jump on screen. :V

(I mean he has jumped but okay)

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
It would appear he's not on the stage all the time actually:

Where he go?
Getting his gold investment set up for Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker 2. He's a busy toad I tell you, surely he can't just hang around the stage all day to watch some large reptilians duke it out. :p

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Exactly! Regardless of relevancy or a window of opportunity closing, there's always a next time for the Captain to make it in, even if he'll remain in New Donk.

Personally, I'm sadder about seeing that Pauline is pretty much impossible to take out of New Donk without affecting its main gimmick.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Getting his gold investment set up for Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker 2. He's a busy toad I tell you, surely he can't just hang around the stage all day to watch some large reptilians duke it out. :p
Yoshi's only put on a little weight recently!

I think the most disappointing thing is that this wasn't even in the Direct though. It's just a strange way to go out. Guess I'll have to settle for making Peach a pure grapple based character for the time being.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'll throw a bit of positivity in the ring.

I don't think this affects his DLC chances in any appreciable way. If they want to make him a DLC character, they aren't going to let a cameo get in their way.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the fact that deconfimation was so unceremonious was a bit of salt in the wound especially all the fuss they made over other cameos

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Don’t give up.

In fact, don’t shut up about Toad.

Did the Ridley fans and the K. Rool fans shut up when they weren’t in Smash 4? No! They continued talking about them. Now they are in.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Don’t give up.

Did the Ridley fans and the K. Rool fans shut up when they weren’t in Smash 4? No! They continued talking about them. Now they are in.
THIS!!!!
Besides guys, many people thought Toon Link was dead when Spirit Train was revealed in SSB4.
Imagine if the Duck Hunt stage leaked before Duck Hunt the fighter.
Additionally, King Dedede's cameo in Dream Land 64 was kept in SSB4 (surely though, it is omitted when he's in battle
Furthermore, Zero Suit Samus's Final Smash in Ultimate is... Power Suit Samus. Does that deconfirm her as well?
I also wouldn't be surprised if Chrom still was part of Robin's Final Smash (even though he could easily be replaced by other Awakening character as well)

Captain Toad still has lots of chances! I'll only take him as deconfirmed if he's shown as a major stage hazard, assist trophy, or being revealed as a trophy prior to release (and then in this last case he'd still have a shot as DLC)

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Hopefully he gets in via DLC. Maybe Sakurai didn't know Captain Toad would get ported to Switch.

He's still the next most likely Mario rep. He has his own game, Sakurai would choose him before Waluigi or Pauline.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Don’t give up.

i will never shut up about toad not until he gets the smash spot he deserves i may have had a dagger plunged into my heart (again) but i will never shut up and expect to see you all in the next toad support thread next time around

now everyone to the toadette thread and lets find some straws to grasp at

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Geez.
I heard he got (basically) disconfirmed and was waiting for the moment in the Direct, only to never see it. I had to rummage through this thread just to find evidence. Captain Toad is a great character with his own game... and not only is he disconfirmed, but done so with literally no acknowledgment? I had considered him one of the more likely newcomers before E3, so I can honestly say him going out so quietly came at quite a surprise. I shouldn't be speculating too much about things I don't know, but it just leaves the impression that he was never even seriously considered. Ouch.
Well, disappointing as it is, I'll still be supporting the Captain in the future. He was a Top 5 choice for me, and with K. Rool in, he's moved up even more. Who knows what the future holds?

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I'm still not going to be able to call this game 'Ultimate' sadly.
Saaame.
After all these years I still don't know what it feels like to have a character I really want in Smash. I have found myself wishing "man. I wish I was a Ridley/King K. Rool fan."
I didn't start joining the Toad speculation until Brawl. I really wasn't present for Melee or 64 hype/speculation. Melee was when I realized I wanted Toad. So when Brawl was announced I started shouting my support for Toad.
During Brawl the only character I wanted was Toad.
That, of course, didn't happen.
When Smash 4 was announced I still had Toad as a most wanted but also added Ghirahim as 2nd most wanted.
Obviously didn't happen.
This was announced. This time I have 3 characters I have wanted (well 4... But Ghirahim was disconfirmed very quickly)
Toad as number one. Urbosa at number 2. Decidueye at number 3.

And even still if Urbosa and Decidueye made it in this game still couldn't be Ultimate with out having my number one most wanted character!

Gah. I just wish one day I could watch a new character trailer and actually be excited for the character that is announced.
Perhaps it sounds immature but none of the characters announced today got me even close to excited.
I have no idea who Simon is. I don't play Fire Emblem or Metroid so Chrom and Dark Samus were "meh". And I have only played Donkey Kong Country 2 and didn't even complete it... So K. Rool did nothing for me as well.

I may be old and gray, living in a nursing home when Toad is finally announced for Smash Bros. And then I will die of a heart attack from being so excited.

This will probably be my last post on this thread for quite sometime!

I bid you all the best! May your next most wanted character after Toad make it in!

(Also. I see your posts about not being quiet about Toad. Don't worry I will not be silent on my Toad support... I just won't be on Smash Boards. I don't use this site other than for Toad support and speculation!)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
i will never shut up about toad not until he gets the smash spot he deserves i may have had a dagger plunged into my heart (again) but i will never shut up and expect to see you all in the next toad support thread next time around

now everyone to the toadette thread and lets find some straws to grasp at
Good! And I won't shut up about Meowth either!

aww heck! I had no idea he was dis confirmed until i got this thread. sucks that he got disconfirmed so unceremoniously.

I do wonder what the captain will do on the New Donk stage
Probably nothing.

The video showed that Pauline and her band have a purpose on the stage.

I think that it won't make a difference whether Captain Toad is there or not... probably like it didn't matter if Toon Link was on the train or not in the Spirit Train stage.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Geez.
I heard he got (basically) disconfirmed and was waiting for the moment in the Direct, only to never see it. I had to rummage through this thread just to find evidence. Captain Toad is a great character with his own game... and not only is he disconfirmed, but done so with literally no acknowledgment? I had considered him one of the more likely newcomers before E3, so I can honestly say him going out so quietly came at quite a surprise. I shouldn't be speculating too much about things I don't know, but it just leaves the impression that he was never even seriously considered. Ouch.
Well, disappointing as it is, I'll still be supporting the Captain in the future. He was a Top 5 choice for me, and with K. Rool in, he's moved up even more. Who knows what the future holds?
This IMO has me feel Toad's just not in the same league of "Maybe I could think him over like I did with Ridley or K.Rool"-respect in Sakurai's eyes - he just has plain set dead on his ways to see him as a cutesy NPC, nothing more.

Though I guess it'll sting even moreso in case Isabelle's confirmed later. By that point I'm sure everyone believes he personally hates the guy, much like he hates Starfy for some reason.

Sheesh. Being a Toad-fan in Smash-games truly is suffering.

Didn't help that in Official Thread someone kept spatting on about "CAN'T JUMP 100%/EGO 100%"-crap to my posts showing Captain's deconfirmation.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I thought this guy was the most likely newcomer (perhaps even more than Inkling) in a potential Smash 5; I don't know what happened - sure he isn't super interesting as his generic self, but as Captain Toad he could be one of the most unique and interesting characters out there: I don't even know all the possibilities, but here you have an explorer character that can't jump and has a heavy backpack, and Captain Toadette could be an easy alternate skin/Echo.

Smash Ultimate is clearly prioritizing getting all the characters who should've been playable since Brawl in there, but I feel like if Captain Toad existed ten years ago he would've been in the series by now, back when Sakurai was looking for more unique and interesting characters than fan requests.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
This is sad, but I’m not quitting yet.

C’mon guys, Captain Toad may not have been treated that poorly. He looks like an easily removable background detail, which may be the point. Remember when everyone said Toon Link won’t make it for Smash 4 due to a stage detail. Well, that was proven BS and he made it in anyway. Toad can easily be replaced with a Toad brigade memeber, or some Odessey creature, or just be left out entirely if he was playable. Maybe Sakurai did this to throw us off.

Look I get it, you guys are sad that Toad has been sidelined in Smash for years, especially during Smash 4. Well I’ll admit, I was also sad during Smash 4, as my boi Bandana Waddle Dee was left out with no acknowledgement at all. Really Toad and Bandana Dee are in the same situation, but it’s up to us to drag them out. I’m not giving up on Captain Toad or Bandana Dee as I think this is the Smash were they’ll both be able to shake hands as partners on the battle field. That is what will make Smash Ultimate to me, not Ridley, not K Rool, but having these simple characters who were excluded from their huge franchises make their way into the game.

Keep pushing guys, as Lucina says; “Hope Will Never Die”.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Just a little thing, I don't know about you guys, but can you even see Captain Toad on the website or does the image stops scrolling before he appears? Like I only can see him if I inspect the page, get the url and access it from there. It's almost like Captain Toad was put there as some weird easter egg

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Just a little thing, I don't know about you guys, but can you even see Captain Toad on the website or does the image stops scrolling before he appears? Like I only can see him if I inspect the page, get the url and access it from there. It's almost like Captain Toad was put there as some weird easter egg
I do see him while it's scrolling, but I have to admit it cuts off pretty quickly. I don't think I've even seen a full-body picture of him in that screen before it cuts to Great Plateau Tower.

Also, fantastic to hear all these optimistic comments in the face of despair. Perhaps it's silly to hold onto hope this late into the game and after all we've learned, but a little hope goes a long way, huh? Keep on tracking, Toad Brigade; one day we'll see our Captain's (or just good old Toad's) reveal and it'll be glorious!

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I just wanted to drop by over here again to say that im sorry for you guys. While I supported Captain Toad, I didn't really care if he got in or not. Seeing how disappointed you all seem though, I really wish he had gotten in. I can relate to what happened (Ashley), so I agree. You guys need to show your support for Toad and never give up. It's what the Ashley thread is doing, and it makes it a little easier to cope when there's still the chance of DLC.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
C’mon guys, Captain Toad may not have been treated that poorly. He looks like an easily removable background detail, which may be the point. Remember when everyone said Toon Link won’t make it for Smash 4 due to a stage detail. Well, that was proven BS and he made it in anyway. Toad can easily be replaced with a Toad brigade memeber, or some Odessey creature, or just be left out entirely if he was playable. Maybe Sakurai did this to throw us off.
I sure hope you're right - because right now this is making us look like the very Waluigi-fans on denial over his confirmed Assist Trophy-status back in E3. :100:

I personally will be leaving indefinitely as right now there's nothing substantial for us to really discuss or go by from anything else than just grasping on the Alfonso-clause about, especially when that ultimately concerned a veteran's status.

We can probably still hope for the guy, but right it's laughably slim at the moment. Maybe we could hope/push for DLC or something...

Last edited:

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
I am not giving up, he is not deconfirmed- yet. He might just not appear on the stage if he is in battle. Plus, there's always DLC.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
come to think of it i cant find that screen shot of him on the stage on any version of the website, which version was it found on?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
come to think of it i cant find that screen shot of him on the stage on any version of the website, which version was it found on?
Top page image that changes. Wait until New Donk turns up with the second image, it'll scroll down. Right click and inspect image.

He's there.

I found him on the UK one.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Top page image that changes. Wait until New Donk turns up with the second image, it'll scroll down. Right click and inspect image.

He's there.
i watch that all the time and it keeps switching to the great plateau tower when its gets to where he is

Top Bottom