• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Felt the same way about many of the kingdoms when I first played it. I was glad to not have any of the game spoiled for me, because I really appreciated the references and characters in the Metro and Mushroom Kingdom especially!

Well, he is an adventurer. Most of the toads around Peach's Castle probably don't get the opportunities that he does, so they see it as a huge deal especially when they hear of all the kingdoms he's visited!
Likewise I SOMEHOW avoided spoilers for the whole thing even after this time, and ho boy am I glad I did.

The only things I knew about Odyssey was Pauline was in it, Captain Toad had a role and Yoshi can be played as at the end(which was randomly revealed to me by a friend). Honestly those three were enough, but I gotta say I absolutely adored the species designs for most the kingdoms. The Volbonans are weirdly my favourite of the new species(though the Toads still easily top them), there's something weirdly charming about those fork people and their world, even if the Luncheon Kingdom is the only one I haven't finished before moving on to the next.

Dressed Mario in the Captain's Hat and the explorer clothes for the most part. Channeling the Captain Toad vibes(although the doctors hat looks more similar to CT's headlamp, Mario does look very swag with the Captain's hat and explorer gear).

How the heck does Captain Toad get into most of those areas without jumping? Methinks he may be fibbing about his inability to jump after all. My favourite was the one in Bowser's Kingdom. He's just casually hanging about the rooftops of the biggest villain without a care in the world. Kind of badass honestly.

Once I finish Odyssey's Luncheon Kingdom I'll probably head back to Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and try out those new levels.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Likewise I SOMEHOW avoided spoilers for the whole thing even after this time, and ho boy am I glad I did.

The only things I knew about Odyssey was Pauline was in it, Captain Toad had a role and Yoshi can be played as at the end(which was randomly revealed to me by a friend). Honestly those three were enough, but I gotta say I absolutely adored the species designs for most the kingdoms. The Volbonans are weirdly my favourite of the new species(though the Toads still easily top them), there's something weirdly charming about those fork people and their world, even if the Luncheon Kingdom is the only one I haven't finished before moving on to the next.

Dressed Mario in the Captain's Hat and the explorer clothes for the most part. Channeling the Captain Toad vibes(although the doctors hat looks more similar to CT's headlamp, Mario does look very swag with the Captain's hat and explorer gear).

How the heck does Captain Toad get into most of those areas without jumping? Methinks he may be fibbing about his inability to jump after all. My favourite was the one in Bowser's Kingdom. He's just casually hanging about the rooftops of the biggest villain without a care in the world. Kind of badass honestly.

Once I finish Odyssey's Luncheon Kingdom I'll probably head back to Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and try out those new levels.
My favorites were definitely the Bonneters and Shiverians. The designers really made all those characters adorable to look at (not to mention all the realistic animals like the Shibe dog). I definitely couldn't say what my favorite costume was because there were so many that would look good in-game and more kept being introduced post-launch, I got a kick out of the Mario 64 set, though. Would be undisputed fav if you could BLJ and enter parallel universes with it though

Captain Toad has some serious guts, honestly. I know he's an adventurer... but why is he willing to go all the way out on that Metro Kingdom bridge that he could totally slip off of and die? There wouldn't be any more exploring and I don't think his girlfriend Captain Toadette would appreciate it too much.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Captain Toad's role in Odyssey was incredible and I wouldn't mind him appearing more like this in future games (or even with an expanded role, hehe). Only thing I'd add is that I wish the rest of the Toad Brigade were around him more so they felt like a real expedition team like in the Galaxy series, but considering they all had different stuff to do (Hint Toad, operating Crazy Cap, etc.), it's understandable.

As for how Captain Toad reaches some of these places...maybe he has a grappling hook and rope in that backpack? I mean, no one knows for sure, right?

girlfriend Captain Toadette
They're ADVENTURE PALS.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Captain Toad's role in Odyssey was incredible and I wouldn't mind him appearing more like this in future games (or even with an expanded role, hehe). Only thing I'd add is that I wish the rest of the Toad Brigade were around him more so they felt like a real expedition team like in the Galaxy series, but considering they all had different stuff to do (Hint Toad, operating Crazy Cap, etc.), it's understandable.

As for how Captain Toad reaches some of these places...maybe he has a grappling hook and rope in that backpack? I mean, no one knows for sure, right?
I respect the decision to keep Captain Toad separated from rest of the team. It continues to emphasize his individual importance. I only wish that his... *ahem*

ADVENTURE PAL
was there with him in those kingdoms. That's just what they tell the public.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I respect the decision to keep Captain Toad separated from rest of the team. It continues to emphasize his individual importance. I only wish that his... *ahem*

was there with him in those kingdoms. That's just what they tell the public.
nintendo confirmed they were just friends

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
nintendo confirmed they were just friends
Oh, I know. I'm mostly being tongue-in-cheek and I was hoping the way I was writing would make that obvious. I just think they would make a good pair if Nintendo decided to make subtle nods in future Treasure Tracker games. Then again, they seem to scoff at the idea of MarioxPeach if Odyssey is any indication.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Probably might want to get this out of my chest, but I'm not feeling very hopeful of Captain Toad as we've come to this point in our speculation period with him again.

This all feels exactly like what we had back in Smash 4 days, where we thought Toad being back to Peach's Special doesn't necessarily kill his chances since there's many Toads - except instead we might get Ashley as this period's Rosalina due her higher popularity in Japan and being noted by Sakurai through Mii Costume and like.

Furthermore, having Toadette not present in Daisy's moveset isn't really enough strong thing to hold that on to against how Toad's still Peach's Special, but now pro-active as to compensate for [Captain] Toad's grown popularity and presence in Mario-games.

A big case of "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me." here, but at the moment, things aren't looking very bright for Captain Toad compared to other characters supported currently out there - he could very well been in the chipping block all this time, but we didn't get the hint apparently at the E3.

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqk0vlKgu2c

Sorry if I haven’t looked at all 21 pages but I came across a YouTube video of a fantastic animated move set pitch. It actually convinced me that Captain Toad belongs. The only thing I question is, can Captain Toad work without jumping or would Sakurai have to compromise and let Toad jump for the player doesn’t struggle against other characters. Anyways the video is linked above my post. It’s worth checking out.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqk0vlKgu2c

Sorry if I haven’t looked at all 21 pages but I came across a YouTube video of a fantastic animated move set pitch. It actually convinced me that Captain Toad belongs. The only thing I question is, can Captain Toad work without jumping or would Sakurai have to compromise and let Toad jump for the player doesn’t struggle against other characters. Anyways the video is linked above my post. It’s worth checking out.
Thank you very much! Glad to have made that much of an impact on you. I'm the animator of that video!

I'm working on a follow up video on Captain Toad(as well as another newcomer ATM) as a lot of the comments have been around his jumping ability and I realised there's a few moveset options that may require tweaking(the up smash for example doesn't give much protection from above, going to change the Mudtroopers to Boos as it means they can protect above Captain too and not go wonky when he's atop his switch blocks)

Glad you enjoyed it though and welcome to the Brigade!

As for the jump...there are ways to encorporate a jump to Captain whilst keeping him a 'no jump' character; a Flaptor could appear out his bag and forcibly yank him up a ways, or a platform could appear below him to raise him up for a small jump.

Alternatively, the end of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on the Wii U(but not the Switch/3DS versions) does have Captain leap up briefly and shortly to grab a hold of the clear pipe to pull himself in. So a short hop is certainly doable.
Yes, Captain Toad has canonically jumped before on screen!

The last idea I have off the top of my head is to take a cue from regular Toad in Mario Tennis, and have him bounce off his spongy mushroom head to bounce skywards, essentially not jumping but achieving a similar effect. Since Captain Toad is seen a bit of a klutz, him falling over wouldn't be out of character to bounce on his head.

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Thank you very much! Glad to have made that much of an impact on you. I'm the animator of that video!

I'm working on a follow up video on Captain Toad(as well as another newcomer ATM) as a lot of the comments have been around his jumping ability and I realised there's a few moveset options that may require tweaking(the up smash for example doesn't give much protection from above, going to change the Mudtroopers to Boos as it means they can protect above Captain too and not go wonky when he's atop his switch blocks)

Glad you enjoyed it though and welcome to the Brigade!

As for the jump...there are ways to encorporate a jump to Captain whilst keeping him a 'no jump' character; a Flaptor could appear out his bag and forcibly yank him up a ways, or a platform could appear below him to raise him up for a small jump.

Alternatively, the end of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on the Wii U(but not the Switch/3DS versions) does have Captain leap up briefly and shortly to grab a hold of the clear pipe to pull himself in. So a short hop is certainly doable.

The last idea I have off the top of my head is to take a cue from regular Toad in Mario Tennis, and have him bounce off his spongy mushroom head to bounce skywards, essentially not jumping but achieving a similar effect. Since Captain Toad is seen a bit of a klutz, him falling over wouldn't be out of character to bounce on his head.

I do agree what you said about the mud troopers. Your idea of using boos would be awesome because since I know King Boo will never be a playable smash character. Boo’s being represented through Toad would put a smile on my face. His final smash was also amazing! If you made another video that includes Captain Toad jumping than I would very much like to see your take on what his jumping actually might look like on screen. One of my favorite parts is how good Toad’s air game would be for being a character who doesn’t really jump. Even his edge guard move was creative but might be OP. When it comes to edge guarding though, you can’t help but think Sakurai would just allow him to jump since he has jumped dating way back to Mario Bros. 2.

Anyways....Your work is amazing and I will be subscribing to your channel. Can’t wait to see what your other newcomer video is. It’s refreshing to watch videos like this and Smash Bros. The animated series. It’s much needed because my YouTube feed is flooded with LEAKS that aren’t real haha. It’s getting to be too much these days!

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Hiya, I'm new here and thought I'd join the thread of my most wanted character in Smash. Really hoping he gets in :)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Would Caption Toadette be in smash too, cuz I can't support just toad
Since Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker had both Captain Toad and Toadette in the playable role with the same skillset, a lot of us assume if the Captain somehow makes the...erm...jump to playable, Toadette would at worst be a female alt similar to Robin, Villager and Corrin.

Staarih

Smash Master
Not sure if THIS video has been posted here before, it's a joke and all silly but...

Captain Toad can jump :rolleyes:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Not sure if THIS video has been posted here before, it's a joke and all silly but...

Well, since it happens around the original ending in Wii U, you could say he probably accumulated some muscle strength from carrying that backpack all the time around. :laugh:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Spread this everywhere! Twitter, Facebook, everywhere. Show this to the detractors who say “Captain Toad sucks because he can’t jump”.

Of course they will then say “Captain Toad sucks because he doesn’t jump good”.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
how have we never notice this until now
But I did :'3

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I support Toad. Mainly the Captain though.

Toad is cool, but since Toads are a species it makes more since to choose an individual rather than a generic Toad. The same applies to Bandana Waddle Dee, Waddle Dees are important, but since they are a species having one that is more distinct makes more sense as a character choice.

As for the not being able to jump, someone already figured that out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I support Toad. Mainly the Captain though.

Toad is cool, but since Toads are a species it makes more since to choose an individual rather than a generic Toad. The same applies to Bandana Waddle Dee, Waddle Dees are important, but since they are a species having one that is more distinct makes more sense as a character choice.

As for the not being able to jump, someone already figured that out.
that very video was made by one of our own

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Hello my fellow Toad Brigadiers!

I recently created a song that I think you might appreciate! Its a huge medley of Toad-related themes - basically, its my tribute to my favourite Mario character and an anthem for his (hopeful) inclusion in Smash Ultimate! (Headphones recommended for best quality :grin:)
Its dedicated to all of you! Lets hope that we will finally see the Captain join the battle in Ultimate!

Also, I'm not sure if I've been added to the support list for this new thread, if not I'd like to be added as a supporter!

Captain Shades

Smash Ace

I recently created a song that I think you might appreciate! Its a huge medley of Toad-related themes - basically, its my tribute to my favourite Mario character and an anthem for his (hopeful) inclusion in Smash Ultimate! (Headphones recommended for best quality :grin:)
Its dedicated to all of you! Lets hope that we will finally see the Captain join the battle in Ultimate!

Also, I'm not sure if I've been added to the support list for this new thread, if not I'd like to be added as a supporter!
Love the theme PixelPasta

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

PixelPasta; would you mind if I use the track for my follow up Captain Toad tweaked moveset video? Not sure how long it'll be, but as it's a more relaxed theme it's very much perfect for explainations! Of course credit will be given.

(I really need to get back on it, it's been nearly two months since the original video, I just haven't had a solid weekend off since!)

cybersai

Smash Ace
The best thing about Captain Toad is he's literally the next most likely Mario rep. Waluigi is an Assist, Pauline is in the New Donk City stage, and Daisy is in as an echo.

Plus Captain Toad has his own game. If he was still just a minor recurring character in the Galaxy games it'd be a different story, but ever since he got his own game in 2014 that puts him in prime position to become playable. And since Sakurai loves female alts it's likely Toadette would be in it too. The timing is perfect too if Sakurai decided the roster in 2015. I don't think the Toad's in Peach/Daisy's moveset should interfere.

If we don't get Captain Toad in the base game, he's most likely going to get in by DLC. So I expect him in some way or another.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
The best thing about Captain Toad is he's literally the next most likely Mario rep. Waluigi is an Assist, Pauline is in the New Donk City stage, and Daisy is in as an echo.

Plus Captain Toad has his own game. If he was still just a minor recurring character in the Galaxy games it'd be a different story, but ever since he got his own game in 2014 that puts him in prime position to become playable. And since Sakurai loves female alts it's likely Toadette would be in it too. The timing is perfect too if Sakurai decided the roster in 2015. I don't think the Toad's in Peach/Daisy's moveset should interfere.

If we don't get Captain Toad in the base game, he's most likely going to get in by DLC. So I expect him in some way or another.
As much as I would like this to be the case, I believe Geno qualifies as a Mario character despite being 3rd party. I still think Captain Toad has a good chance though, but Geno's not out of the running either. I really hope we get them both.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i love all the way we celebrate toad, perhaps i should that yoshiandtoad's animated movest to the op

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Thank you for the kind words!

PixelPasta; would you mind if I use the track for my follow up Captain Toad tweaked moveset video? Not sure how long it'll be, but as it's a more relaxed theme it's very much perfect for explainations! Of course credit will be given.
I'd love that, go right ahead! I'd like to see it when you're finished!
I might be able to directly send you the song in whatever file type you'd prefer, if it would be helpful.

i love all the way we celebrate toad, perhaps i should that yoshiandtoad's animated movest to the op
I think a section for fanmade stuff is a great idea!

Last edited:

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
I think Toad is a better pick than the Captain, not because of the whole jump tobacle (Toads are known for having low jumps in general, so him having low jumps is not a problem.), but the fact that Toad can stretch his arms a bit more moveset-wise. With Captain Toad, you're relegated to purely Treasure Tracker-esque moves. Toad, however, can do that along with SMB2, spin-off and power-up related moves.

That being said, add me to the support list!

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice

I loved the medley!! You did a great job! My favorite part was near the end when the NES Wario's Woods theme played. I subscribed to your channel and I look forward to see what other songs you create next!

I am LOVING all this Toad fan content! You guys are all amazing!

Igglybuff4SmashU

Smash Cadet

As long as toadette is playable in some way

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So guys, do you think Ashley's gonna be shown tomorrow to coincide with Warioware Gold's release?

Right now tons are banking on her atm despite Captain getting no such reveal himself.
I guess being not shown as an Assist does more to you than being relegated to special move for umpteenth time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom