• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
i watch that all the time and it keeps switching to the great plateau tower when its gets to where he is
For whatever reason the desktop version seems to cut off. He shows on mobile though.

But I'm not sure I'm done totally tbh. My video hit 10k likes. That's 10k that are at least intrigued by a playable Toad. He has his fans. Just how do we translate likes to vocal outcry?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
For whatever reason the desktop version seems to cut off. He shows on mobile though.

But I'm not sure I'm done totally tbh. My video hit 10k likes. That's 10k that are at least intrigued by a playable Toad. He has his fans. Just how do we translate likes to vocal outcry?
I think it's pretty clear that support for Toad in the ballot was big enough to have an impact. The mii fighter costume, his more active role in Peach's moveset. And with 4 popular newcomers confirmed thus far, Toad's competition gets narrower and narrower.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
its a little bizarre

I think it's pretty clear that support for Toad in the ballot was big enough to have an impact. The mii fighter costume, his more active role in Peach's moveset. And with 4 popular newcomers confirmed thus far, Toad's competition gets narrower and narrower.
we can only hope, but if geno gets in first ill be furious

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
its a little bizarre

we can only hope, but if geno gets in first ill be furious
Geno doesn’t deserve a spot over Toad, the dude was in one game, while Toad was in most Mario titles as he’s a reoccurring character. Even going off RPGs, Geno’s title would be over shadowed by Paper Mario.

Sparklealyst

Smash Rookie
Geno doesn’t deserve a spot over Toad, the dude was in one game, while Toad was in most Mario titles as he’s a reoccurring character. Even going off RPGs, Geno’s title would be over shadowed by Paper Mario.
Well at least Geno has a chance now

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah but inclusions are rarely about who deserves to be in

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly, I'm still holding out hope for Captain Toad, but I'm very curious about whether the Geno costume was taken from Ultimate assets, just like K. Rool's looks like it was.

That said, it doesn't guarantee a playable role for Geno. We also had a Zero costume that may have had assets taken from that new Zero assist trophy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mii costumes might be our last hope. Then again, it didn’t help Knuckles and Ashley.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Speaking of costumes, Toad hat is now available in Animal Crossing Pocket Camp for a limited time to promote Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. :eek::crazy:

Nintendo, if you really wanted to promote Captain Toad Treasure Tracker you really should have put Toad or Captain Toad in Smash as a new playable fighter. :rolleyes::facepalm:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of costumes, Toad hat is now available in Animal Crossing Pocket Camp for a limited time to promote Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. :eek::crazy:

Nintendo, if you really wanted to promote Captain Toad Treasure Tracker you really should have put Toad or Captain Toad in Smash as a new playable fighter. :rolleyes::facepalm:

i was about to bring that up myself with sentiment "at least the rest of nintendo is showing him love" what with this and the captain toad themed photo contest in odyssey

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'm still holding out hope for Captain Toad, but I'm very curious about whether the Geno costume was taken from Ultimate assets, just like K. Rool's looks like it was.

That said, it doesn't guarantee a playable role for Geno. We also had a Zero costume that may have had assets taken from that new Zero assist trophy.
I think many believe that Geno will be in because his Mii costume had a splash screen as if he was a new fighter, which no other costumes got, so that puts him ahead of everyone else.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think many believe that Geno will be in because his Mii costume had a splash screen as if he was a new fighter, which no other costumes got, so that puts him ahead of everyone else.
based on how so far weve got pretty much the same final fantasy stuff as last time i think sqaure enix is too up for it

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
At this point, I have accepted that Geno will definitely get in Smash Ultimate as a new playable character and that Toad or Captain Toad won't be playable in Smash Ultimate... and that Waluigi will be playable in Smash before Toad/Captain Toad.

We must keep on fighting for Toad/Captain Toad. We will not shut up about Toad/Captain Toad. We must make our voices heard and loud that Nintendo and Sakurai cannot ignore us any longer.

Edit: Showing my support for Toad in Animal Crossing Pocket Camp

1533920834975.jpeg

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
im never going to understand the obsession with geno
Same.

But we're both from the UK, so we don't have that deep seated nostalgia for a forgotten one time side character in a game that never came out here weirdly enough. To us it really is like Goombella suddenly being pushed for Smash and being put ahead of the reoccurring cast.
Actually Goombella at least is based on a reoccurring enemy. Geno's more like...Vivian I guess? Decently popular in their own game, will never appear again.

Having played it, I prefer Mallow's story anyway. Where's the push for Mallow? He's at least still able to appear as himself after the ending of the game.

Sadly we live in a reality where Sakurai has gone on record stating he wants to add Geno(because arm cannons apparently), whilst simultaneously putting Toad in the role of a ****ty counter for three games performing a move that Sakurai himself made up for him.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I think Geno's following mainly comes from those who really fell in love with the idea of a Squaresoft RPG dressed in Mario togs and that he's considered to be the superior of the two main characters to come from SMRPG (I've never heard anyone clamoring for Mallow...) He's also powerful, and SMRPG did impact the Mario franchise in more ways than we can count.

Even so, the Mario RPG universe has expanded so much that making Geno the face of those games is also bizarre to me. I know character popularity doesn't necessarily dictate who gets in (clearly), but one can't deny that even in terms of Mario RPGs Geno is a relatively obscure guy. I personally liked characters like Vivian and Dimentio much more than Geno in terms of both design and moveset anyway, but I'm not going to argue that any of them deserve to represent Mario RPGs more than Paper Mario himself does.

While I personally wouldn't mind Geno in Smash, I just fail to see what keeps him relevant compared to the competition. He hasn't been relevant to his series in a long time, and while one could argue the same for characters like Duck Hunt, ROB, and Mr. G&W, the difference is that SMRPG has been succeeded by both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi. Especially considering that his competition should be Toad (a Mario all-star), Captain Toad (who's been pretty prominent in the franchise for a decade now), Paper Mario, and a certain purple man meme, Geno just seems like a very odd choice.

Then again, Sakurai's explicitly stated that he wants Geno in. So there's that, I guess.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Same.

But we're both from the UK, so we don't have that deep seated nostalgia for a forgotten one time side character in a game that never came out here weirdly enough. To us it really is like Goombella suddenly being pushed for Smash and being put ahead of the reoccurring cast.
Actually Goombella at least is based on a reoccurring enemy. Geno's more like...Vivian I guess? Decently popular in their own game, will never appear again.

Having played it, I prefer Mallow's story anyway. Where's the push for Mallow? He's at least still able to appear as himself after the ending of the game.

Sadly we live in a reality where Sakurai has gone on record stating he wants to add Geno(because arm cannons apparently), whilst simultaneously putting Toad in the role of a ****ty counter for three games performing a move that Sakurai himself made up for him.
i agree with you there, even when we did get a chance to play the game on the wii wasnt gonna cause huge nostalgia factors for us, vivian is my favourite from that and mallow is more fun

still there not much we can do about one mans bias beyond trying to change his mind a spreading the word of toad

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Captain Toad truly deserves a spot in this game. Along with Dixie Kong, there's not many left true Nintendo all-stars left to be added.

Fingers crossed for something to happen.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Captain Toad truly deserves a spot in this game. Along with Dixie Kong, there's not many left true Nintendo all-stars left to be added.

Fingers crossed for something to happen.
Top 10 Nintendo All-Stars (in my opinion) not yet playable in Smash
  • Toad / Captain Toad / Toadette
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ganon (the pig demon from NES / SNES games)
  • Tingle
  • Skull Kid / Majora’s Mask
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Meowth / Team Rocket
  • Tom Nook
  • Isabelle
  • Lip

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Top 10 Nintendo All-Stars (in my opinion) not yet playable in Smash
  • Toad / Captain Toad / Toadette
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ganon (the pig demon from NES / SNES games)
  • Tingle
  • Skull Kid / Majora’s Mask
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Meowth / Team Rocket
  • Tom Nook
  • Isabelle
  • Lip
Looks like a solid list. I'd maybe throw either Excitebiker or Balloon Fighter in over Lip but I can't argue with a single other one. As much as I love her Impa is not on Tingle's level of fame and Meowth's Team Rocket status boosts him higher up than most other Pokemon. Eevee could also be considered as a big name thanks to even getting it's own version and being heavily marketed.

Back to Captain Toad, let's do something fun and discuss sequel ideas for Treasure Tracker 2;

I really like the idea of Captain Toad exploring other Nintendo worlds and gathering their treasures. For example, a level where Captain Toad has to traverse a Hyrule Dungeon with the coins replaced with Rupees, the Piranha sprouts replaced with Deku Scrubs and him using some of Link's tools to complete some puzzles would be a ton of fun.

A boss level with Wario would be a great callback to Wario's Woods. I'd have Wario and Captain Toad competing to obtain the most treasure. Captain Toad can block Wario's path using pullswitches, turnstiles and touchstones, allowing the Captain to reach the Star prior to Wario. Wario in turn would be able to jump over obstacles and take enemies out far easier than Toad causing a brains vs. brawn set up between the two.

Actually I'd probably have Wario team up with Captain Toad and Toadette near the end of the game to take out Wingo(should he return) and take his treasure. Post game is Nabbit stealing the treasure and the two of them chasing after him into the sunset whilst Toadette shrugs at the camera with an 'oh well' approach to the happenings.

What would you guys want to see?

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Back to Captain Toad, let's do something fun and discuss sequel ideas for Treasure Tracker 2;
Great idea!

Something I'd like to see is development of the boss fights. Draggadon and Wingo are great starts, but given all Captain Toad and Toadette do, we can go further! I was thinking about potential boss ideas and this is what I came up with:
-A boss level that's a path to a Turnip Cannon at the very end. Captain Toad/Toadette must make their way to the cannon, but the boss makes it increasingly difficult to get there (perhaps by hurling more projectiles or taking sections of the path away) each time it's hit.
-A boss revolving around the minecart levels: Captain Toad/Toadette can throw turnips at the boss to stun them and block projectiles, but to really attack the boss they must hit certain items (like POW Blocks) or stage elements (maybe loosening boulders from a mountain so that they'll roll and hit the boss?)
-A Boo-like boss that can only be defeated by shining Captain Toad's/Toadette's headlamp at it

In terms of levels, I'd like to see less levels revolving around speed like Drop Road Dash or Magma Road Marathon. They're fine, but they don't really fit well with the rest of the game in my opinion. Also, get Clear Pipe Puzzleplex out of here.

For supporting characters, what if we got to interact more with the Toad Brigade? Maybe they could reprise their roles from the Galaxy games (e.g. storing money, receiving letters), maybe they could do something new (further the story somehow? Have their own sidequest?) Or even bring back some more other Toads, like Toadsworth or even the Toad could come in for some Captain Toad-style platforming (whatever that'd look like)...if Nintendo would be so daring.

What about levels that, like the minecart levels, deviate from the typical puzzle level? I don't really have many ideas for these, but maybe they can focus on other gameplay styles since they went for shooters with the minecarts. Maybe stealth, since they already touch upon that with some Bonus Challenges in Treasure Tracker? Or even have a throwback to Wario's Woods with a Tetris-style puzzler.

I'd love to hear some of your guys' ideas!!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
really for a squeal id just want it to be longer TT did feel like it was all over too soon, perhaps the levels should be longer or maybe should have some extra objectives

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Hey guys just stopping by because I heard that C. Toad was de-confirmed because of a Cameo on NDC and I needed to find the source for it and low and behold, yeah he's de-confirmed, sad. Well, that's disappointing but there's always DLC. The fact that he's a cameo and not an assist also makes things easier so he can indeed appear as DLC. We'll probably get Geno before him since this game is obviously taking inspirations from the Ballot and there are a lot of people who want him in. The only thing we can do now is show our support and love for the little guy. It worked with Ridley, it worked with K. Rool, and it'll most likely work with Geno. This game will probably have a lot of DLC before it will lose support so we have to show them that we care and that we want him in! You also have to look at the fact that his game was probably released in the wrong time frame so the sales and how much people liked it weren't put in as a factor. With him now having a Switch port that's doing pretty well it got it's own accolades trailer, and a 3ds port Captain Toad has been more prominent than he's ever been. I'm not going to sit here and be in denial and say that he has a chance base game, but I won't ever stop supporting him and I hope none of you do too!

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure Captain Toad will get his chance another day. Even with that cameo, if demand is high I could absolutely see him being a DLC character along with other Switch focused characters like Spring Man and Rex and Pyra.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm sure Captain Toad will get his chance another day. Even with that cameo, if demand is high I could absolutely see him being a DLC character along with other Switch focused characters like Spring Man and Rex and Pyra.
Exactly. “If demand is high”

That’s why I’m not shutting up about Toad/Captain Toad and Meowth/Team Rocket on Twitter even if I’m all by myself. I’m still talking about them and letting Nintendo and Sakurai know.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Captain Toad has to be my most desired character for Smash Bros., knowing the big impact the Toads have done all throughout the Mario series it'd be logical for Toad to make a playable appearance. Toad has been there since the first game, even being part of the main heroes, having a blue and yellow Toad playable in New Mario Bros. Wii, and later changing to the blue Toad being the main Toad to join the heroes in their quests has seen in 3D World. However, Captain Toad appeared, rather, made a huge impact in 3D World, since he has been there since Mario Galaxy, making his first playable appearance as a fun little puzzle like minigame, leading to the creation of his own game: Captain Toad; Treasure Tracker. I thought this could be the perfect opportunity for a playable Toad to finally appear in a Smash Bros. game, and I had all my hopes on him for Ultimate, but I was rather wrong, since just yesterday I looked at the page being curious about the stages, and found Captain Toad as an element in the New Donk City stage. Right now I hope there aren't any more new Mario characters in Ultimate, having Captain Toad/Toad over any other Mario character like Geno or Waluigi (sorry Waluigi) would be irrational, Captain Toad deserves his own playable spot in Smash Bros.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It is a crying shame regarding the Captain honestly, to see Sakurai change the rules from Sm4sh entirely; Sm4sh had a focus on new properties and uniqueness in their newcomers, whilst Ultimate is focused on a few heavily requested( although not all; RIP Ashley, Waluigi and Toad) and echoes. Which unfortunately shoots Captain in his foot as he at best had middling popularity thanks to the strong competition in the Mario department, confusion over who Toad is and having been repped in Peach's moveset being enough for lesser fans of the character.

I'm curious as to whether or not we'll at the very bare minimum get the return of the Toad Mii Brawler outfit, which is (admittedly) a poor man's substitute for what we're after...

...actually I'm not sure which I prefer of the two options; Peach(but Grappler/counter focus) or Mii Brawler in Toad outfit?

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
...actually I'm not sure which I prefer of the two options; Peach(but Grappler/counter focus) or Mii Brawler in Toad outfit?
Even if we don't get a playable Toad/Captain Toad, I'm very happy that we get to see a more important role for Toad in Peach's moveset, really portrays how Toad is meant to be Peach's right hand in some games, and of course, that's Sakurai's perspective, and I don't think he'll change his perspective anytime soon, but some day he may just see how much of an important character Toad is in the Mario series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
While I am very happy with the overall roster so far, I am still unsatisfied about Toad and Meowth still not playable in Smash after all these years.

I love that the Mario series and Pokémon series have many popular characters playable but I still wish that Toad and Meowth could be playable along with these characters, you know?

I mean, yeah, Smash Ultimate is really the ultimate Nintendo All-Star crossover fighting game, but there's a difference between "ultimate" and "complete". I still feel that it's still incomplete without Toad and Meowth. It is not like they are obscure random throwaway characters.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
I mean, yeah, Smash Ultimate is really the ultimate Nintendo All-Star crossover fighting game, but there's a difference between "ultimate" and "complete". I still feel that it's still incomplete without Toad and Meowth. It is not like they are obscure random throwaway characters.
I COMPLETELY agree with you, I feel like Sakurai right now is going for a more fan-base kind of Smash than a complete Smash. I don't support the most Captain Toad, Tingle and Porky Minch just cause I like them, I support them, cause they fill the void that this game needs:
-An important character in the Mario series that appears every single game and spin-off, who even got his own games.
-A little creepy green guy who appears in one of the series' most famous games, getting his own spin-off series apart from being a recurrent character in the series.
-The big baddie of the series after the first game, having a huge impact in the story, being the reason for everything to happen in the last game.

These characters, which as mentioned, I support the most, should be in Smash right away, they had a huge impact in their respective series, they DESERVE to be in (One quick note about me wanting Tingle, I know Impa is more likely, although I haven't really played The Legend of Zelda series, but I completely know about Tingle, so I may be wrong with Tingle being in).

I like your idea on having Meowth in tho, I haven't really played Pokemon at all, but I've seen Meowth having some important roles, of course in the anime, which I watched casually when I was younger, and I even have a fan-made roster of 100 characters and he's included. I may research more about Meowth, he looks like a funny character, but I can't say he deserves to be in, or that he doesn't of course.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
You guys also have to remember about DLC. This game as big as it is will most definitely have DLC later down the line, and just like Splatoon, I expect it to be supported for a long time, at least a year. If we keep asking for him to be playable and Sakurai recognizes us, we can get him in. He's just a background element in NDC so if he were to add him, he could easily be replaced by someone else or just outright get rid of him appearing. It's been done before. So don't let this discourage you.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You guys also have to remember about DLC. This game as big as it is will most definitely have DLC later down the line, and just like Splatoon, I expect it to be supported for a long time, at least a year. If we keep asking for him to be playable and Sakurai recognizes us, we can get him in. He's just a background element in NDC so if he were to add him, he could easily be replaced by someone else or just outright get rid of him appearing. It's been done before. So don't let this discourage you.
there are so many things that are discouraging me its too late

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
He's just a background element in NDC so if he were to add him, he could easily be replaced by someone else or just outright get rid of him appearing. It's been done before. So don't let this discourage you.
It's not exactly like this but I remember Lucas being an assist trophy with his Brawl form, but then when Lucas was added his trophy was still his Brawl form, could it be possible that we could get 2 Captain Toads?

blazefan519

Smash Ace
there are so many things that are discouraging me its too late
But if you give up then he'll never get in. Ridley fans never gave up and neither did K. Rool fans. And while a certain few took things too far, Waluigi fans haven't given up despite the fact that he's just an assist, an arguably worse position to be in than a random background element like C. Toad. We have to show our support.
It's not exactly like this but I remember Lucas being an assist trophy with his Brawl form, but then when Lucas was added his trophy was still his Brawl form, could it be possible that we could get 2 Captain Toads?
I don't remember Lucas ever being an assist? I mean if we're talking trophies we could bring up how Mewtwo was a trophy in Smash 4 before he was added in as his own character in Smash 4, so we could use that as an example.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
I don't remember Lucas ever being an assist? I mean if we're talking trophies we could bring up how Mewtwo was a trophy in Smash 4 before he was added in as his own character in Smash 4, so we could use that as an example.
I simply meant a trophy, not an assist or anything.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I simply meant a trophy, not an assist or anything.
Oh I see what you mean. But yeah, further evidence that he can easily make it as DLC, just like Lucas did in 4. I cannot stress enough that we have to push ourselves and let Sakurai know how much we want him in. I feel like the Mario roster can't be perfect unless he's added.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
I feel like the Mario roster can't be perfect unless he's added.
I'll kill myself if Waluigi or Geno get before him, I rather have the Mario roster as it is right now and add them later when Captain Toad is playable.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I'll kill myself if Waluigi or Geno get before him, I rather have the Mario roster as it is right now and add them later when Captain Toad is playable.
While I wouldn't be too upset over Geno, I've kinda accepted him getting in since he does have fan demand and Sakurai wants him in. Waluigi I would legit be pretty peeved over. I'll still love the game and Sakurai but that would hurt in so many ways that a character who has never gotten in a main series game got in over Toad who has been in just about every main series game in some capacity and had his own series. I don't want to insult Waluigi fans or say that a character deserves to be in over another, but in this particular instance I firmly believe that Toad deserves to be in over him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But if you give up then he'll never get in. Ridley fans never gave up and neither did K. Rool fans. And while a certain few took things too far, Waluigi fans haven't given up despite the fact that he's just an assist, an arguably worse position to be in than a random background element like C. Toad. We have to show our support.
Exactly! I’m not giving up on Toad and Meowth!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
im not going to stop supporting him i just think sakurai hates toad and is moving the series away from nintendo and towards third party

Top Bottom