• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Haven't come here for a while, but been thinking of something - how do you think we could best create buzz and awareness for Captain Toad and his potential in order to really boost his chances for DLC?

I kind of feel like we have bit of headstart for such campaign now, and we really need to create some kind of effective campaign to really voice our support, and hope to each it to somewhere same levels of passionate tenacity and loudness as Ridley's or K.Rool's threads were.

What do you believe could be most best ways to do this?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That is true but the thing about about Alph and Olimar is that there wasn't enough to differentiate the two of them to warrant him becoming an Echo. He was originally going to be a clone of Olimar in Smash 4 and use Rock Pikmin, but Sakurai opted out for that. However with Toad and Toadette, their voices are completely different and so are their personalities. The whole entire reason why Dark Pit was made separate from Pit in Smash 4 because Sakurai didn't want Dark Pit to have the same taunts and winning animations as Pit because that doesn't fit his character at all. Perhaps the same could be done here?
well i think was more sakurai's bias that cost us alph

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Haven't come here for a while, but been thinking of something - how do you think we could best create buzz and awareness for Captain Toad and his potential in order to really boost his chances for DLC?

I kind of feel like we have bit of headstart for such campaign now, and we really need to create some kind of effective campaign to really voice our support, and hope to each it to somewhere same levels of passionate tenacity and loudness as Ridley's or K.Rool's threads were.

What do you believe could be most best ways to do this?
Just going off my video it seems a lot of people have no clue what Toad/Captain Toad could even do. Upon seeing, some have changed their minds.

There's not much Toad support amongst popular Youtubers either so Toad isn't discussed much by people.

We'll be fighting an uphill battle anyway currently as some people cannot get over Toad's voice; it's an insanely high percentage of why I see people hating on Toad which as reasons go seems petty.

"Too many Mario characters" is another cry I hear a lot of and there's always other Mario character fanbase out there to compete with.

With Daisy and Rosalina in, there's a chance to appeal to their fans now the princesses are in since many seem to actively dislike Waluigi in the Daisy fanbase and Toadette is universely liked by these fans from what I can tell, even if the boys are a more controversial choice.

A nice catchy slogan and just getting Toad's name out there would help tremendously too.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
"Too many Mario characters" is another cry I hear a lot of and there's always other Mario character fanbase out there to compete with.
Unbelievable. With Wario, Rosalina, Bowser Jr., and even Daisy (of all people) out of the way, the competition comes down to Waluigi, Geno, and Paper Mario.

I am positive Geno will be the unique Mario newcomer in Ultimate because Sakurai himself said he wanted Geno in Smash. And I am positive Waluigi will be the unique Mario newcomer in the next Smash game because of the backlash over him still an Assist Trophy.

And Sakurai's anti-Toad bias is preventing Toad or Captain Toad from becoming playable. I believe that this is the biggest obstacle. Not Geno, not Waluigi, not even Paper Mario.

Let's just hope that Nintendo doesn't make a new Mario character or revive an obscure Mario character in a future Mario game... I'd be miffed if Pauline gets in Smash and Toad didn't.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Unbelievable. With Wario, Rosalina, Bowser Jr., and even Daisy (of all people) out of the way, the competition comes down to Waluigi, Geno, and Paper Mario.

I am positive Geno will be the unique Mario newcomer in Ultimate because Sakurai himself said he wanted Geno in Smash. And I am positive Waluigi will be the unique Mario newcomer in the next Smash game because of the backlash over him still an Assist Trophy.

And Sakurai's anti-Toad bias is preventing Toad or Captain Toad from becoming playable. I believe that this is the biggest obstacle. Not Geno, not Waluigi, not even Paper Mario.

Let's just hope that Nintendo doesn't make a new Mario character or revive an obscure Mario character in a future Mario game... I'd be miffed if Pauline gets in Smash and Toad didn't.
I'm of a similar mindset, now that Cap is questionably deconfirmed, Geno seems like the most likely Mario newcomer for the base game roster. Sakurai wants him in, and he has a cult following.
and Waluigi is very likely for the next smash.
but at this point I feel that Captain Toad has a good shot at being DLC for ultimate, alongside Springman, Rex and other nintnedo characters who came into the spotlight over the last few years.
but yes, should Pauline show up in the next Mario game, she's basically a lock for next smash as Rosalina2.0

as the pool of potential Mario newcomers dwindles Toad is easily the most glaring ommision from the roster.
who do we even have left for potential mario newcomers in future games?
Toad/Captain Toad/Toadette, Geno, Waluigi, Pauline, Paper Mario, E.Gadd, King Boo, Wart and arguably Birdo, Tatanga and Fawful

actually, you know what. I'm calling it now.
Prince Dreambert for Mario Newcomer
Pink Gold Peach for another Peach echo wielding Toadette to kill the Toad potential further
Polterpup for DLC character as an echo of Duck Hunt

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
It's very good to see the optimism here, it's cheering me up as well. :) I'm also rooting for Captain Toad to be DLC, this would really satisfy me after the years of waiting for Toad to finally make it into the roster.

Despite being a playable character in several platformers, his species appearing in almost every Mario title since their debut, and of course the release (and ports) of Captain Toad's own titular game - Toad is honestly...often forgotten about even at this point of time when it comes to most Smash Bros. discussion threads. It's a very odd thing; heck, I'm sure characters like Waluigi would kill for even being playable in one of the platformer games that Toad was in (let alone getting his own full fledged game).

What are the flaws about Toad, and why is he is a controversial pick in the Smash community? There's no denying that the Toads are super iconic to not only the Mario series, but as well as Nintendo themselves. We have nothing like Toad so far in Smash; tbh, he literally is the walking embodiment of the Mario series as well - a talking and walking mushroom!

Over the years, we've seen countless detractors mention Toad being too generic for Smash. For folks that have played certain games like the Mario RPG titles, this can be true as the Toads often appear very generic with little distinction in appearance and personality. This might paint Toad as a rather bland character in the mouths of some folks, and well...we all know how Sticker Star and Colour Splash depicted our lovely Toads. :( Certain games even have the Toads present as helpless NPCs that have been kidnapped. These points overall have certain people see the Toads as just the general, useless villager characters in the games. Harsh as it is to accept, this could be a reason sometimes Toads are dismissed to being almost equivalent to Goombas/Koopas when it comes to Smash representation, as some just find them to be generic, common, or unimportant as mere side characters.

Now Captain Toad has made quite a name for himself in recent years; however, the biggest issue some have with him is his jumping capability. Can he jump? Should he not jump in respect to his own game? Can he even fight? Well for starters, we know that the last point is completely moot - Captain Toad chucks turnips ala Toad and co in SMB2 while wielding a deadly Super Pickax, throwing certain enemies like turnips, or even using an overpowered turnip launcher to completely wipe out an entire battlefield! Now as for jumping, this is simply a gimmick for his own game as Captain Toad not jumping suddenly makes a miniature platformer game suddenly change to something totally different. The producers of the game have mentioned that it's only due to his backpack that prevents him from jumping, so Captain Toad jumping a little in Smash is still a possibility. For those that want to see him being more respectful to his original title, then videos such as the one made by YoshiandToad YoshiandToad are great examples of creating a very fun moveset all while keeping the notion of having Captain Toad unable to jump!

So what should we do? We have to emphasize the games that Toad has been a star in. Games that have painted the species as being more than just helpless villager-esque characters. Being generic might be seen as unlikable to some; however, this has not stopped countless Pokemon, Yoshi, ROB, and more from joining the roster. If not, perhaps Captain Toad might be their cup of tea instead as he has potential to represent the species quite as well as regular Toad if Toad is to be kept as Peach's move. Now for Toad's strong points in Nintendo history:

*SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 - First game to properly introduce the Toad character, as well as making him a playable one. He was the fastest playable character as well as the strongest - being carried over from the Papa character from Doki Doki Panic. Despite his strength not often associated with Toad in later titles, him being super speedy has carried over akin to how Mario retains balanced stats, Luigi and his unusual scuttle jumps, as well as Peach's iconic floating ability. Toad's flaw; however, is his weak jumps.

*SUPER MARIO BROS. 3 - Toad Houses first made their debut in this game. Toad Houses are useful little stores where Toad and his species would provide helpful items to Mario via a minigame. These continue to make an appearance in the series. This is not a bad thing, this provides Toad a rather key supporting role where he and the other Toads follow Mario along the journey to assist the player with rewarded items. This is probably what most people view Toad as as a result, a sideline character.

*WARIO'S WOODS - Toad's first starring role! Also a puzzle game similar to another puzzle/platformer title released nearly 20 years later! Toad and Wario had a rivalry here, and despite the namesake, Toad was the hero and played similarly to SMB2 where he could pick up, toss, and now kick critters around to clear the level via coloured bombs. While this title has been forgotten over the years, Nintendo has continuously brought it back in titles like Animal Crossing as well as the Virtual Console/NES Remix, etc.

*MARIO KART- It's a spin-off yes; however, this series is notable for having Toad playable in every roster. He was one of the original racers, and has maintained the title as a speedy lightweight character. Toadette also makes her debut in Double Dash!!

*SUPER MARIO GALAXY 1 and 2 - Introduction of the Toad Brigade. Captain Toad debuts here, and act as comic relief/supporting characters that journey alongside Mario as he traverses the galaxies. Some stars are obtained from Captain Toad's own journeys (though sadly he is not playable here).

*NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. Wii - After almost two decades of not being a hero, the Toads return as playable characters in a Mario platformer. While it's not Toad himself, we get Blue Toad and Yellow Toad as playable characters in the multiplayer mode. They play identically to Mario sadly; however, they are capable of using every power-up including the then new Propeller and Penguin suits.

*NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U and NEW SUPER LUIGI U - Like the predecessor, the two Toads return as playable characters in the multiplayer mode. Use the new Super Acorn power-up as well. In NSLU, they can scuttle jump similar to Luigi and Nabbit.

*SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD - Toad returns after so long! He has blue spots; yet, is named Toad - seems like a reference to both SMB2 and the fact that a Blue Toad was playable in the NSMB games. Like in SMB2, Toad is very fast; however, falls fast due to his short jumps. Now can wear a fancy new Cat Suit! Captain Toad now returns from SMG as well completely redesigned, and has his own playable levels as well.

*CAPTAIN TOAD: TREASURE TRACKER - We finally get our wishes, and Captain Toad finally gets his own game with levels very similar to the concept done in SM3DW. Toadette also returns as the heroine while the rest of the Toad Brigade (rip Mailtoad) appear as well. Can this evolve into a series someday? While the Wii U sold poorly, it did fairly well for the system it was on; however, it was given a gracious second chance on both the Switch and 3DS. Only time will tell!

*SUPER MARIO MAKER - Lots of characters got referenced here; however, it wasn't just one Toad that was a playable skin in this game. Toad's sprite was an unlockable playable skin for Mario via the amiibo while both Captain Toad and Archivist Toadette are playable skins as well.

*SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY - Captain Toad returns and even makes references to his own adventures from his game! He is a hidden character that can found in almost every level, making a good nod to how Captain Toad has his own adventures apart from Mario. Some levels he made an appearance on, make reappearances in the ports of CT:TT. Toadette also appears in this mainline title (aside from a small cameo with Toad in SMG's opening). Captain Toad even had his own event/promotion going on during the release of his game's ports via a Pixel Captain Toad scavenger hunt replacing the Pixel Luigis.

*SUPER MARIO RUN - Not sure how canon this is; however, it's relatively well known as a game. Toad is also a playable character int his game as well - having the highest running speed of all playable characters. He is unlocked from simply linking a Nintendo Account to the game, so he is relatively easy to access. Toadette is also a playable character alongside Toad. Daisy's second platforming appearance, so may as well mention it for good ol' Toad as well.

I tried to exclude spin-offs; however, Mario Kart is one that I couldn't resist adding in considering how prominent Toad is within the series alongside Toadette's debut in one of the titles. This also excludes the many cameos Toad makes in other Nintendo games such as his "hat" appearing in Animal Crossing games, Nintendo Land minigame, and more.

We have to be proud of Toad's history whether it be the character, his species, Toadette, Captain Toad and etc. It's really sad that Sakurai has overlooked all this and kept Toad unplayable. Perhaps he is not the most detailed character; however, he's a charming mushroom that many of us have chosen as our playable character for years. Toad has made an impact on the series. Why is it that a character that has been playable in over 20 years of Mario platformers has not been playable in a Smash title? Toad clearly is capable of fighting regardless of his supporting roles. Others who picked Mario, Luigi, Peach all have their choices in Smash; however, what about the Toad players from SMB2 or NSMB Wii? SM3DW or Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker? Where is our playable Toad? He is very distinctive in appearance from the rest of the Mario cast, and I personally feel lost without having my favourite platforming star in Smash Bros.

Hell, Toad is my favourite Nintendo character and All-Star overall. When I wanted to play a new Mario game, platformer, spin-off, etc - I always have my eye out for that mushroom guy. He is promoted heavily alongside the main Mario cast, and even Toadette is rising in the ranks as a character. While Toad's role in Smash may possibly be relegated to Peach, Captain Toad exists as a possibility now. He is a distinct character from other Toads, had his own game and playable in a Mario platformer, and even appears relatively similar to Toad himself in design as a red-spotted Toad. Captain Toad would make an ideal rep for the Toads as he represents the essence of Toads quite well while maintaining a unique look for the Toads. Captain Toad can work as a goofy; yet, adoring playable character. Jumps have always been a weakpoint for the Toads - so perhaps a moveset akin to the video from YoshiandToad YoshiandToad would work or even some of the worst jumps in the game instead. Toadette in her explorer outfit could even work very well as an alt similar to Robin or Corrin to satisfy her fans as well with voicelines.

I just hope we get our shroomy explorer for DLC someday. It would make me and many other Toad fans super happy after all these years. :0 We have to paint a better image of who Toad is and his history to Nintendo. He's been a playable star several times throughout history, and to not have a Toad representing all these games seem absolutely terrible from my eyes. Kids from this generation are going to grow up with Nintendo games like Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - so we already have a headstart with a heroic Toad in lead. :)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Let's just hope that Nintendo doesn't make a new Mario character or revive an obscure Mario character in a future Mario game... I
so im not the only one who thinks like that

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I definitely agree that Toad has a pretty good headstart of being one of the first few DLC additions along with Springman/Ribbon Girl and Rex and Pyra. I suspect Geno will be the unique Mario Newcomer for the base game since Sakurai does like the character and he does have a pretty decently sized fanbase. I'd say the only other Mario character that has a chance as DLC later on would be Paper Mario but Paper Mario, if that list is anything to go by, isn't as popular as Captain Toad. I'm still under the impression that the only reason C. Toad wasn't added to this game, at least base roster, was because of circumstance. He wanted to focus on the more popular characters and because of the fact that his main priority was getting every character back, we wouldn't have as many unique newcomers because of it, so he went with heavy hitters like Ridley and DK. Let's remember that C. Toad is just a background element in NDC and not an assist trophy like some other popular picks (Shovel Knight, Crystal, Ashley, etc), which means that he has a very good chance at making it DLC because background elements are easy to get rid of.

To spread awareness, maybe tweet at Sakurai YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 's video on the possible moveset for C. Toad to show that he has a dedicated fanbase that went out of their way to make an animated video of a possible moveset for him (I urge that if you do this, do it nicely and calmly). Or maybe rally all of the Toad supporters together to thank Sakurai for the game and (once again), calmly ask if he could add C. Toad to the game as playable. He's obviously aware that Toad does have a fanbase, but I think we need more of a push if we hope to get even remotely close to the same level as Ridley or King K. Rool.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
as the pool of potential Mario newcomers dwindles Toad is easily the most glaring ommision from the roster.
who do we even have left for potential mario newcomers in future games?
Toad/Captain Toad/Toadette, Geno, Waluigi, Pauline, Paper Mario, E.Gadd, King Boo, Wart and arguably Birdo, Tatanga and Fawful
Wart and Tatanga have a snowball's chance in hell of making it in Smash, Fawful is in the same position Dark Samus was (dead major antagonist in a spin-off series that's still running regardless) but doesn't have the benefit of a template to use for an Echo, and I'm not sure E.Gadd and King Boo are even on most people's radar. This leaves Waluigi, Pauline, Geno, Birdo, P. Mario and the Toads, so depending on how things go the Captain may have a chance in the future.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Wart and Tatanga have a snowball's chance in hell of making it in Smash, Fawful is in the same position Dark Samus was (dead major antagonist in a spin-off series that's still running regardless) but doesn't have the benefit of a template to use for an Echo, and I'm not sure E.Gadd and King Boo are even on most people's radar. This leaves Waluigi, Pauline, Geno, Birdo, P. Mario and the Toads, so depending on how things go the Captain may have a chance in the future.
Agreed, I knew they were longshots. but I wanted to cover all bases so included any reoccurring characters and popular characters and any characters who were the main villain of a main series Mario game on that List.
but yeah Waluigi, Pauline, Geno, Birdo, Paper Mario, and Toad/Cap are the biggest names there

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet
It is upsetting to see such a major Mario character stuck in such a bad situation. Toad's status as Peach/Daisy's neutral B has really hurt his chances for being playable, but using Captain Toad as an alternative is a fine idea. I'm not so big on the idea of not having him jump, as aerial combat is a big part of Smash, but keeping it minimal like they did with Little Mac would be feasible. I've never played a Captain Toad game, I admit, but Toad's history with games like Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario 3D World prove that he's a force to be reckoned with.

Captain Toad's appearance in the New Donk City stage is unfortunate, but I don't know if it's a dealbreaker. He probably won't be in the base roster, but if they do do a fair amount of DLC he might make it into Ultimate. If not, there might be a chance for him for the next Smash if his series continues to grow, especially if the next Smash is some kind of reboot that reworks existing characters.

Anyway, I wish you Toad fans the best, and here's to hoping that the little guy proves us all wrong.

D

Deleted member

What I was happy to see: More of the New Donk City stage (Metro Kingdom was my favorite in SMO).
What I was sad to hear: Captain Toad was on the stage as a background element.
What I was upset to see: Him being in the background is confirmed.

It's a shame that Toad hasn't been given a playable role in Smash Bros. With how popular the little guy is and how prominent he is in most games, I'm shocked to see that not even Captain Toad was given a chance. There is a small possibility that this is a Toon Link situation and Toadette could replace Captain Toad on the stage.
While I am happy with the roster so far, I do think that Toad should've had his chance.

toonito

Smash Ace
i support toad or captain toad for smash usually when i think of the core mario characters the first that come to mind are mario, luigi, peach, yoshi, toad, and bowser so its actually surprising to me that he's still not in 5 games in.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i support toad or captain toad for smash usually when i think of the core mario characters the first that come to mind are mario, luigi, peach, yoshi, toad, and bowser so its actually surprising to me that he's still not in 5 games in.
with that kind of thinking youll get on with all of us

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Troll or not, I will be pissed if Koopa Troopa gets in and Toad didn’t.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
I support Captain Toad! He deserves more recognition in general and smash is perfect for that!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you guys hear? there are some rumors floating about of a nsmbu port for the switch a game with two toads playing a major role

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
you guys hear? there are some rumors floating about of a nsmbu port for the switch a game with two toads playing a major role
Well with Smash killing both Mario AND Luigi, I guess it's finally Toad time!

Excitingly for me, the port is rumoured to also include Luigi U, which I never got to play.

We just need 3D World to be ported and the Wii U Toad trifecta will be complete...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I will be disappointed if it's just New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U two-in-one compilation again. I have that two-in-one compilation for the Wii U. But it follows the trend of Switch games being ports of Wii U games.

It would be better if it was five-in-one compilation New Super Mario All-Stars.
  1. New Super Mario Bros.
  2. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  3. New Super Mario Bros. 2
  4. New Super Mario Bros. U
  5. New Super Luigi U
And playable Toads in NSMB and NSMB2 would be nice.

We just need 3D World to be ported and the Wii U Toad trifecta will be complete...
Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World ported together as a two-in-one compilation with playable Peach, Toad, and Rosalina in Super Mario 3D Land would be fantastic.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
if we are getting more games with toad staring like these ports its gonna fuel my theory that sakurai doesnt read memos from the rest of nintendo like "everybody loves toad" and "stop being mean to luigi"

blazefan519

Smash Ace
So what are your guys' thoughts on Toad being the host of Mario Party again with the arrival of Super Mario Party? I'm simultaneously happy since he has more roles now and could give him more prowess to be in Smash (if there wasn't enough already), but also bummed because I can't play as him and I play as him in every game he's playable in.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So what are your guys' thoughts on Toad being the host of Mario Party again with the arrival of Super Mario Party? I'm simultaneously happy since he has more roles now and could give him more prowess to be in Smash (if there wasn't enough already), but also bummed because I can't play as him and I play as him in every game he's playable in.
Honestly? Disappointed. Whilst it's no lie Toad hosts the best parties(Mario Party 2 is STILL my favourite) the fact we can play as a Boo, a Goomba, a Hammer Bro, a Koopa Troopa, a Shy Guy, a Dry Bones and a Monty Mole but NOT Toad or Toadette is disappointing. The disasterous knock on effect may cement Toad in the eyes of many yet further as a NPC type character only.

Heck, Nintendo; since you guys insist CAPTAIN TOAD is not THE TOAD why not start adding Captain into games such as this and Mario Tennis Aces and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? I'll take two playable Toads over four Marios in my Mario Kart any day of the week.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Honestly? Disappointed. Whilst it's no lie Toad hosts the best parties(Mario Party 2 is STILL my favourite) the fact we can play as a Boo, a Goomba, a Hammer Bro, a Koopa Troopa, a Shy Guy, a Dry Bones and a Monty Mole but NOT Toad or Toadette is disappointing. The disasterous knock on effect may cement Toad in the eyes of many yet further as a NPC type character only.

Heck, Nintendo; since you guys insist CAPTAIN TOAD is not THE TOAD why not start adding Captain into games such as this and Mario Tennis Aces and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? I'll take two playable Toads over four Marios in my Mario Kart any day of the week.
Yeah it's a bittersweet (mostly bitter) feeling. I just want the character to have more exposure so he gets more love.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yeah it's a bittersweet (mostly bitter) feeling. I just want the character to have more exposure so he gets more love.
Well, not to worry. It looks like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is STILL doing well!

Both the Switch and the 3DS games are currently in the top 15 best sellers from last week over in Japan!

The Switch version has also broken the 100k sales mark and looks like it may stay in the top sellers chart for a while.

According to THIS article, Captain Toad is currently sitting at the 5th best selling 3DS game, and 6th best selling Switch game of 2018 thus far.

Early days obviously but there's clearly a lot of people interested in playing Treasure Tracker, and in doing so, perhaps some fans for the good Captain.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Well, not to worry. It looks like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is STILL doing well!

Both the Switch and the 3DS games are currently in the top 15 best sellers from last week over in Japan!

The Switch version has also broken the 100k sales mark and looks like it may stay in the top sellers chart for a while.

According to THIS article, Captain Toad is currently sitting at the 5th best selling 3DS game, and 6th best selling Switch game of 2018 thus far.

Early days obviously but there's clearly a lot of people interested in playing Treasure Tracker, and in doing so, perhaps some fans for the good Captain.
That's amazing! I believe the developer had said that they would be fine with making a sequel if that is what the fans want when they were asked, yes? Hopefully that means that Captain Toad can get a sequel and thus increase his chances tenfold in Smash. I'm so happy to see the little guy finally getting some much needed love.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
As if Toad and Toadette having to host the party weren't bad enough, take a look at this:

Like, what? Are you telling me everyone gets brand new renders, but Toad, the host, has to settle for a rehash of his Mario Party 10 render with a simple bowtie slapped on? I can't begin to describe how lazy that is.
I hope Nintendo actually pays attention to how well Treasure Tracker is doing. If there really is no playable Toad this time around, that's going to be a real bummer.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
at least so far its only mario party, if he stops being playble in more games then ill be really worried

also hes rocking that bow tie

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That's amazing! I believe the developer had said that they would be fine with making a sequel if that is what the fans want when they were asked, yes? Hopefully that means that Captain Toad can get a sequel and thus increase his chances tenfold in Smash. I'm so happy to see the little guy finally getting some much needed love.
He certainly is having strong momentum going well as we speak - we could at least use this as a big indicator to keep the momentum going towards probable DLC.

Had me wonder though, do you think we could try spreading around Captain Toad's appeal and potential to gather more fans/support over time to bolster his presence to much stronger? We could at least do a head-start while we're ahead.

I also suggest we nudge that a tweet containing YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 's moveset to Sakurai's Twitter account. I personally bet he and devs won't take "look" at it, no matter how nicely it'd ask to, but I at least hope the fact we had done that and it'd lead for them maybe get a glance that there was this this type of a message sitting there, compared to just mere text posts requesting characters about, could leave in a presence of Captain Toad's passionate fans being out there in his mind - incase he suddenly might be approached about the guy again in near future.

In short, let's not stay silent, but make some action while iron's still going hot. ;)

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
Today I read that C. Toad is "basically deconfirmed". Why? Did I lose something?
Is it an assist trophy?

Spatman

Smash Ace
Ah.
Ok, thank you!
I don't believe C. Toad will be playable either, but also Toon Link is in the background of Spirit Track's stage but he's also playable (and there is also another semiclone playable like Young Link)

Spatman

Smash Ace
Ah.
Ok, thank you!
I don't believe C. Toad will be playable either, but also Toon Link is in the background of Spirit Track's stage but he's also playable (and there is also another semiclone playable like Young Link)
But I'm also thinking that Toon Link is necessary in that stage because the train needs a conducer (and he is also with a different outfit) ; instead C. Toad in new donk city is a marginal addition, if he was playable it's likely they wouldn't have put him as a background element

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But I'm also thinking that Toon Link is necessary in that stage because the train needs a conducer (and he is also with a different outfit) ; instead C. Toad in new donk city is a marginal addition, if he was playable it's likely they wouldn't have put him as a background element
to be fair the playable toon link and the one on the spirit train are different ones

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I really hope we get Captain Toad as a DLC fighter! (with toadette as an alt/echo) <3

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
to be fair the playable toon link and the one on the spirit train are different ones
EXactly. So why did Sakurai feel the need to remove Spirit Tracks Toon Link from the stage whenever Wind Waker Toon Link is playable on that stage?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Hey; I just wanna drop by and lend my opinion!

Even if Captain Toad misses DLC support; With how many fan favorites are being added/ might still be added to the roster; I think the vocalness for Toad will skyrocket! I would say if he misses the DLC train; he seems like a lock for Smash 6 (Along with Waluigi or Paper Mario) I mean; some character's got to take up the hole in speculation that Ridley, K Rool and potentially Geno will leave behind.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think he could jump using the wing item from SMM, giving him multiple jumps and his recovery would be one of the platforms that you tap on screen and it moves. It would appear under him and take him, any teammates or any items on it with him, an just like Pac's trampoline, any opponent who touches it will pass through and enter free-fall.

Top Bottom