• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To all the Smashers that have chosen not to wavedash, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
If you play Smash Bros right *insert crap here*
Get over yourself, please?

There is no particular way that Super Smash Bros. is supposed to be played. If you think anything other then that you have no idea what you're talking about

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
You noobs overrate the use of wavedashing >_>

I don't see why its such a big deal to you guys anyways. Do you want us to become worse so you will have a chance at winning a tourny? Is there sombody you know that beats u cause he uses wavedashing? I'm a Jigglypuff player and I hardly use wavedashing and I still manage to beat my opponents just fine. The only characters that really need wavedashing are IC and Luigi. I really don't care about wavedashing but I do use it when I play as other characters. And its not that bad w/o it cause I manage to play fine in SSB. You think Wavedashing is the only way we win. Its not, you overrate it far more than we even use it. Just, no johnz plz you shouldn't be saying "I shouldn't have lost because he wavedashed". Then there is your statment of exploiting glitches. Unlike most games that have glitches they hardly change anything. If you compare it to mario64 were you can beat the game with 1 star that was definatly not inteded. But in this game there is no glitch that automaticly makes u win. I don't even know if u should even call it a glitch. Although I don't give if its in the next game or not I just can't think how it won't be in it. You have airdodging, and you slide on the ground. I'd like to hear how they would change the physics that you couldn't wavedash. I mean like you dodge diagnally you will result in sliding. And I don't think that they will remove that or using the airdodge so early in your jump. I mean, why worry about us and what we do with the game, just mind your own buisness and have fun playing the game you want it to. Your not the President so you can't tell us what to do. If u don't want wavedashing to exsist go away from these boards, don't watch pro videos, don't go to tournys, just stay at your house and play the game with your friends. I'm still confused as of why you were brought here, I'm sorry if u said it already b4 I don't feel like looking so just respond. If you tell why we can reslove this problem. If you don't want to play against good players online try to play with friends only.

peachori

Smash Journeyman
i think for a casual gamer, advanced techs basically serve no purpose. in my case however, a couple of my friends used to get together and play melee a lot a few years back. things were really competitive, because thats just how we are, so naturally we looked for ways to win. this was how i arrived at advanced techs. the more we played, the more we competed, the more we sought for ways to speed up our play and to make ourselves more powerful.

i dont know how many people on these boards play sports, but its much the same thing. when you're in 4th grade playing soccer, its all fun and kicking a ball around and ****. but when you get older, if you play competitively, then you realize you have to grab shirts while the referee isnt looking, hold people inconspicuously, etc. at higher levels, thats just the way the game is played.

also, edgehogging was put in by the developers and has its own dedicated bonus. and if you go in the section of the game where it tells you all the bonuses, it will actually list exactly what to do to gain the extra style points. forget dirty, the devs thought it was stylish. hence, its own style point bonus. i understand that you may personally think its a dirty tactic, but to each their own.

But I don't mind those who have chosen to explore the game that...extensively, I just wanna know which way the opinion scale tips on this board.
the brawl boards will probably have a predominant percentage of people saying that adv techs are not needed, cheating, or unhonorable exploitation. asking the same question in the melee discussion will probably get you flamed by competitive players who say there's nothing wrong with these tactics and they are absolutely commonplace. then the thread will promptly be locked, or else die on its own very quickly.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I mean, I've seen 'em, I know what to expect. And whenever I imagine playing against one, I usually can't get a hit in...however, I've read some topics where advanced techniquers play against people who have only played the game for a bit and have lost (much to their frustration). I'm hoping, if I ever do play against a pro (or the like), that they would be too used to playing against other pros and my play-style would throw them off.

My friend, who plays in the same style as me, went to a convention and, while he lost most of the time, the matches were much closer than you'd think, and he was even complimented for how he used the basic (non-advanced) techniques to pull off some pretty sick ****.
Not true. I beat all the local tournies where they don't use it. The truth is. . . if he uses advance techs to a comptent degree with some mindgames. . . .you will lose.

You can play however you want, but I am telling you now. You will lose to people who go to respectable biweeklies. In fact, you can play me even though I am no pro and see how it goes. ;)

JohnPants

Smash Cadet
I don't know why ppl use the " the way developers intended" argument, it should be obvious that with all the customizable options that they intended for us to play the way that makes us the happiest. It should be noted that most competitive fighting games use some form of play that developers never foresaw. Whether or not they approve of the way we play doesn't matter because we are the one's playing the game, not them. I don't think that removing wavedashing is what worries everybody specifically, it's that developers might remove the depth of the game for the sake of simplicity. That's what us competitive smashers fear.
But see, I guess that's my point. The knowledge that some people have of these games, with knowing every hitbox and frame delay included, is just...insane! Again, I'm not criticizing here, I'm mainly defending my choice in how I play. I think the most advanced technique that should be using in Melee is airdodging (close to the ground is kosher ;) ). I know it sounds silly, but it has its own rewards.

Hmm maybe I should add " your not allowed to be me" to my honor code...

-Knight
I don't get it, but check this out:
:lick:

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Instead of arguing about if wavedashing is cheap or not why don't we just have fun and play the game? If you wavedash and have fun, that's wonderful, it's not "cheap" or anything just beacuse they found out something about the game not everyone else has. If you don't like wavedashing, tell your friends not to do it and just have fun that way. Remember, Melee (and possibly Brawl because I'm sure this will come up again when the game is released and if wavedashing's in it...) is just a game. So yeah...just have fun with it. If you don't like wavedashing, don't play with wavedashers : P

TheZeroFaReal

Smash Apprentice
Competitive Play - Do What You Have To Do To Win <Other Than IC Glitches>

Fun Play - YAY I JUMPED!

It really doesn't matter who likes what. If someone plays you and adds wavedashes and you 'dislike' wavedashing figure out someway for you to beat him without him. I'm a Luigi player and to bump Luigi up on the Tier List I need advanced Techniques. Luigi without Wavedashing is like God Without a Halo.

JohnPants

Smash Cadet
i think for a casual gamer, advanced techs basically serve no purpose. in my case however, a couple of my friends used to get together and play melee a lot a few years back. things were really competitive, because thats just how we are, so naturally we looked for ways to win.

i dont know how many people on these boards play sports, but its much the same thing. when you're in 4th grade playing soccer, its all fun and kicking a ball around and ****. but when you get older, if you play competitively, then you realize you have to grab shirts while the referee isnt looking, hold people inconspicuously, etc. at higher levels, thats just the way the game is played.
I dunno, I've been playing Melee since the day it came out, my friends play a few times a week...I'd say we're all very skilled at the game, definitely not "casual". I don't think it's right to assume that just because I, for example, choose not to use advanced techniques that that instantly implies that I'm not an advanced player.

Not true. I beat all the local tournies where they don't use it. The truth is. . . if he uses advance techs to a comptent degree with some mindgames. . . .you will lose.

You can play however you want, but I am telling you now. You will lose to people who go to respectable biweeklies. In fact, you can play me even though I am no pro and see how it goes. ;)
Haha, well, you may be right...I really have no way of knowing. But there is something to be said about mindgames, which I would say is one my favorite aspects of the game. I still think I could pull my weight around, but again, I have no way of knowing. I would definitely not cry if I lost, as I would expect to.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
So, do know the game rewards you for edgehogging? And that L-canceling was programmed into the game?

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
Instead of arguing about if wavedashing is cheap or not why don't we just have fun and play the game? If you wavedash and have fun, that's wonderful, it's not "cheap" or anything just beacuse they found out something about the game not everyone else has. If you don't like wavedashing, tell your friends not to do it and just have fun that way. Remember, Melee (and possibly Brawl because I'm sure this will come up again when the game is released and if wavedashing's in it...) is just a game. So yeah...just have fun with it. If you don't like wavedashing, don't play with wavedashers : P
i agree with you over 9000% =D

also when n00bs complain i think of this video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE

JohnPants

Smash Cadet
Competitive Play - Do What You Have To Do To Win <Other Than IC Glitches>

Fun Play - YAY I JUMPED!

It really doesn't matter who likes what. If someone plays you and adds wavedashes and you 'dislike' wavedashing figure out someway for you to beat him without him. I'm a Luigi player and to bump Luigi up on the Tier List I need advanced Techniques. Luigi without Wavedashing is like God Without a Halo.
See, I don't like that "do what you have to do to win" mentality. I've found myself in that mindset and I can honestly say it's not as fun as the alternative. If the other person wins and you're happy that they did (not scowling), I think that's a good track of mind to be in when playing games like this.

So, do know the game rewards you for edgehogging? And that L-canceling was programmed into the game?
I do. But you have to agree that edgehogging looks very...ugly and stupid. If my job was to show off this game to a newcomer I wouldn't want them to see that part of the game, regardless of how easily available it is within the game code.

Adi

Smash Lord
JohnPants, trust me even if they removed all the "advanced" techniques from Brawl a competitive player is still going to **** you anally.

It's simply a fact, if you go into a fight with the mentality of fighting for honor you ARE going to lose.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I wavedash every now and then when I feel it necessary (quick edge-hog). I can wavedash consistently, I just have never needed to use it in the fray too often. why use a wavedash when a roll/spot doge works just fine for the occasion?

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
I do. But you have to agree that edgehogging looks very...ugly and stupid. If my job was to show off this game to a newcomer I wouldn't want them to see that part of the game, regardless of how easily available it is within the game code.
well if they ever entered tourneys they would lose much quicker then some1 that doesnt edgehog >___>

yes it is

though its hard to set up >_>

edit: honestly i just see it as this

you play your way ill play mine

whoever wins does

i mean do u think im supposed to let you get back on the stage for another chance to kill me?

uh...no thanks >_>

if u think edge guarding and edge hogging is cheap go play soul caliber or some crap =O

plus the fact wave dashing is not a glitch,its just taking 2 parts of the game and making them into a useful move that wasnt intended for the game

and stuff like l-canceling..just deal with it,dont be a nub and complain like "ohhh you cheater thats not fair" or some crap lol

quoted for truth :chuckle:

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Oh well keep playing by your "honorable" rules. I just want to say that refusing to edgeguard someone is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Maybe Sakurai will have a "How to play: the benift's of edgeguarding" soon.

-Knight

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
I don' t agree that it's "ugly and stupid". I don't mind if you have more fun not using them, as you shouldn't play in away that you don't find fun. But it sounds like you don't have an actual good reason why they're bad things, aside from some made a morals.

And you can play well without adv techs, even against those who use them if there other skills aren't up to par. You realize your at a disadvantage, and you'd probably lose, so I don't see why people are picking at you using that.

bivunit94

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you're not good and can't do adv techs because you keep telling yourself that you cant? It isnt that hard, it just takes practice.
Nah. I'm seriously just not good. I've dedicated hours and hours to trying to learn techs and stuff, but I never really nailed it. But then again, the CPUs are just about the only competition I have (my friends aren't really good). So maybe if Brawl has online, playing advanced players will help me to improve.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
i live in the middle of nowhere

i play lvl 1's all the time

i live at least an hour from any good smasher,period

all i did was watch the how to play video over 9000 times and watch kens videos...

and now i can do any advanced tech,i can even wavedash with bowser now

so no johnz =P

JohnPants

Smash Cadet
JohnPants, trust me even if they removed all the "advanced" techniques from Brawl a competitive player is still going to **** you anally.

It's simply a fact, if you go into a fight with the mentality of fighting for honor you ARE going to lose.
If an advanced player can't use the advanced techniques that I don't, why would you assume that I would lose? I've been playing this game for six years, I think if we were both playing the same "game", if the playing field was level in your example, that we'd have a very good match.

well if they ever entered tourneys they would lose much quicker then some1 that doesnt edgehog >___>
This is true, and if money was at stake that may tip my opinion towards using everything I had...but I don't play for money, I don't see why I would ever want to edgehog.

Oh well keep playing by your "honorable" rules. I just want to say that refusing to edgeguard someone is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
I edgeguard.

I don' t agree that it's "ugly and stupid". I don't mind if you have more fun not using them, as you shouldn't play in away that you don't find fun. But it sounds like you don't have an actual good reason why they're bad things, aside from some made a morals.
I really try to avoid calling any technique used by anyone as a "bad thing". I don't, however, mind calling some of them ugly. A lot of them do look ugly, and some of them even look unfair (even though they aren't, as nobody "cheats"). I'm just trying to defend why I don't use the techniques, as well as frown upon those who will outright refuse to play Brawl if they aren't included.

And you can play well without adv techs, even against those who use them if there other skills aren't up to par. You realize your at a disadvantage, and you'd probably lose, so I don't see why people are picking at you using that.
Yeah, I'm all for admitting that I'll most likely lose against the majority of advanced techniquers, and I don't feel bad for it. But I would like to try and get used to that style of play and knock them around a bit too :)

peachori

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, I've been playing Melee since the day it came out, my friends play a few times a week...I'd say we're all very skilled at the game, definitely not "casual". I don't think it's right to assume that just because I, for example, choose not to use advanced techniques that that instantly implies that I'm not an advanced player.
many of us have been playing since the day it came out, that doesnt really mean much. my dad has been playing basketball for more years then kobe bryant has been alive, yada yada

you are definitely right, i should not instantly assume you are an advanced player. however, in my personal experience and in the collective experience of most of the competitive community, an overwhelming majority of players who do not use advanced techs are not competitive, even at the smallest regional levels. so while you're right that i shouldnt assume you're not an advanced player, you have to realize that statistically people who choose not to use advanced techs get completely destroyed a vast majority of the time by those who do.

See, I don't like that "do what you have to do to win" mentality. I've found myself in that mindset and I can honestly say it's not as fun as the alternative. If the other person wins and you're happy that they did (not scowling), I think that's a good track of mind to be in when playing games like this.
basically, you're not in as competitive of a mindset as many others playing this game. they WILL do anything to win, if that means wobbling 4 stocks. and at the end of the day, the point of the competition is to win, and if thats how they get it done then they get it done. the competitive community for the most part encourages this "do what must be done" mentality. also, much of the competitive community does not make any distinction between this, a video game, and pretty much any other competitive activity in terms of mindset. the most competitive among us are driven by a desire to win.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
But see, I guess that's my point. The knowledge that some people have of these games, with knowing every hitbox and frame delay included, is just...insane! Again, I'm not criticizing here, I'm mainly defending my choice in how I play. I think the most advanced technique that should be using in Melee is airdodging (close to the ground is kosher ). I know it sounds silly, but it has its own rewards.
So basically, you hope the entire technical aspect of the game is completely scrapped because you consider people who practice more than you "unhonorable"? Let me tell you something, no matter how simple a game seems at first, there are always going to be ways to apply the in-game techniques in such a way to give optimal advantages. No one cares if Nintendo 'intended' it to be that way, that's just what it means to be good at a game: you make optimal use of everything at your fingertips. If you seriously think that nintendo should dumb down the game SO MUCH that there is no real optimal way to apply anything, then being good at it will mean nothing because there will be no depth.

You're not defending your choice in how you play. You're attacking ours. The way you call it 'insane' that we're very good at the game is just hinting at the whole "being too good at video games = no life!" stereotype, which is baseless and false.

EDIT: wow i guess i took too long to type that

JohnPants

Smash Cadet
you are definitely right, i should not instantly assume you are an advanced player. however, in my personal experience and in the collective experience of most of the competitive community, an overwhelming majority of players who do not use advanced techs are not competitive, even at the smallest regional levels. so while you're right that i shouldnt assume you're not an advanced player, you have to realize that statistically people who choose not to use advanced techs get completely destroyed a vast majority of the time by those who do.
I'm not sure what you mean by "an overwhelming majority of players who do not use advanced techs are not competitive". Like, I don't play in tourneys, I don't play for money. But I am competitive in the sense that I want to be the best that I can be (excluding, for myself, advanced techs). When I play someone, I want to beat them, so I would say I'm competitive. And skilled as well, but again, you're right...if I had to bet money, I'd say I'd get "completely destroyed" by the advanced techniquers. But I really don't mind, I think the way I have chosen to play the game is very rewarding, especially when (in theory) I do beat someone who has hitbox and frame info printed out next to them.

basically, you're not in as competitive of a mindset as many others playing this game. they WILL do anything to win, if that means wobbling 4 stocks. and at the end of the day, the point of the competition is to win, and if thats how they get it done then they get it done.
I guess I would argue that the end result of winning in that mindset isn't as fun as the journey of playing in mine. If I have to play nasty, dirty games to "get it done", I don't think I'd feel very fun once it was done, regardless of who won. But this is just me.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
competitive means money.

also johnpants...aren't you supposed to be banned
He should've been banned a while ago. JohnPants, to be honest, you're not trying to be the best that you can be because you refuse to use tactics like edgehogging to help you win. What I'm trying to say is that you're a hypocrite.

JohnPants

Smash Cadet
So basically, you hope the entire technical aspect of the game is completely scrapped because you consider people who practice more than you "unhonorable"? Let me tell you something, no matter how simple a game seems at first, there are always going to be ways to apply the in-game techniques in such a way to give optimal advantages. No one cares if Nintendo 'intended' it to be that way, that's just what it means to be good at a game: you make optimal use of everything at your fingertips. If you seriously think that nintendo should dumb down the game SO MUCH that there is no real optimal way to apply anything, then being good at it will mean nothing because there will be no depth.

You're not defending your choice in how you play. You're attacking ours. The way you call it 'insane' that we're very good at the game is just hinting at the whole "being too good at video games = no life!" stereotype, which is baseless and false.
No no no, I never said I want that aspect of the game to disappear. And I'm not attacking those who use it. The point that I've been trying to make (and have been sidetracked many times) is that I don't think you should completely disregard Brawl if they choose to ignore the manner of movement that is required to wavedash and modify the game. That's silly. If they change the game movement for the better of the game, but it happens to not allow for wavedashing anymore, I think that's for the better. I don't think the developers of Brawl have responsibility to not change the aspects of the game that allow advanced techniques if they think that it'll improve the game, and those who will outright refuse to play the game because of that is, in my opinion, taking the game too far.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
I guess I would argue that the end result of winning in that mindset isn't as fun as the journey of playing in mine. If I have to play nasty, dirty games to "get it done", I don't think I'd feel very fun once it was done, regardless of who won. But this is just me.
IT'S JUST A GUILTY CONSCIENCE, STOP HANDICAPPING YOURSELF

Nintendo isn't going to hate you for using advanced techniques! Even if they did, who cares? You're the one playing the game, not them.

The whole point of competitive play is the nice feeling of needing to hold nothing back and fight with your all. IT'S LIBERATING, MAN.

.::Link::.

Smash Apprentice
I've played SSBM consistantly since its release date and once i learned about wavedashing i tried it a few times just to see what the hype was about.....but i never thought of actually using it in competitions.....I play with my brothers and cousins and my friends and they all use it in casual gameplay against me....But whenever we have what we call 'official tournys' we never thought of using something like wavedashing....we do what we think as fair and we leave it all to skill....i wish i could say that i dont frown upon those who use these ''advanced techniques'' but i do

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
No no no, I never said I want that aspect of the game to disappear. And I'm not attacking those who use it. The point that I've been trying to make (and have been sidetracked many times) is that I don't think you should completely disregard Brawl if they choose to ignore the manner of movement that is required to wavedash and modify the game. That's silly. If they change the game movement for the better of the game, but it happens to not allow for wavedashing anymore, I think that's for the better. I don't think the developers of Brawl have responsibility to not change the aspects of the game that allow advanced techniques if they think that it'll improve the game, and those who will outright refuse to play the game because of that is, in my opinion, taking the game too far.
Hm.. actually, back when Dylan was.. um.. how should i put this.. more radical, i tried to argue something sort of similar to that, my main point was:

Even if wavedashing is removed, chances are nintendo will still give the game enough depth and technical skills for it to be a good competitive game, so you shouldn't quit right off the bat when you see that some things are different.

So i guess i don't really have anything to say against that particular paragraph.

JohnPants

Smash Cadet
JohnPants, to be honest, you're not trying to be the best that you can be because you refuse to use tactics like edgehogging to help you win. What I'm trying to say is that you're a hypocrite.
You're right, I could be better if I used edgehogging or wavedashing or whatever. However, I wouldn't be having as much fun. I see Smash Bros as an elegant, improv-driven fighter with very graceful movements being central, but I think a lot of that gets muddled when you're constantly warping, sliding, and glitching around unnaturally. I don't care what you do, but I don't want to play the game that way and still feel I can be the "best I can be" with that "limitation" (I don't think it's fair to call it a limitation, though).

And even if you're right, I'm merely contradicting myself...nothing to do with hypocrisy.

red stone

Smash Ace
an advanced techs that you can never take out of the game...mindgames and being cheap. if you are not competitive, even on a level playing field you will still lose to these

JohnPants

Smash Cadet
Hm.. actually, back when Dylan was.. um.. how should i put this.. more radical, i tried to argue something sort of similar to that, my main point was:

Even if wavedashing is removed, chances are nintendo will still give the game enough depth and technical skills for it to be a good competitive game, so you shouldn't quit right off the bat when you see that some things are different.

So i guess i don't really have anything to say against that particular paragraph.
See, I see Smash Bros is an extremely deep game without the advance techniques. It's obviously a deeper game with them, but I don't think of Smash Bros as this simple, kiddy game until you unlock the knowledge of advanced competitive play.

And I'm honestly hoping that they choose to ignore (not try to stunt or remove, but ignore) the advance techniques while they're making this game and choose to add in more "legitimate" and "normal" depth (such as modifiable B-moves, air grabbing, and gliding, for example...stuff you'd find in the instruction book).

JohnPants

Smash Cadet
an advanced techs that you can never take out of the game...mindgames and being cheap. if you are not competitive, even on a level playing field you will still lose to these
I don't like being cheap, personally, but I'm all for mindgames. That's one of my favorite aspects of the original Smash, and more so in Melee.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Well, if it has to be "legitimate", then nintendo could just publicly endorse the advance techs. Then no one would feel like it's wrong to use them, right? This time around they'll just probably outline them in the instruction booklet so they don't seem like this big mysterious secret anymore.

EDIT: lol bold

TastelessRamen

Smash Apprentice
Isn't it interesting that the original poster here is the same guy who conducted that annoying demo hoax.

Understand, wave-dashing, L-cancelling(which WAS intended to be in the game btw), shffling, ect...

These are things that keep the game interesting for advanced players, and allow the level of technical skill possible to continue to challenge people who have mastered other aspects of the game.

They make the game better, I would've gotten bored long ago if it weren't for them. If you're not doing them, and you're not bored by now, than you probably haven't mastered other techniques like advanced smashers have.

ONce you learn how to do these techniques you will see how much depth and replay they add to the game. They make the game ; deeper, more engaging, more interesting, more tactical, more strategical, more skill based, in short... BETTER

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
Part of the reason only few people will agree with you is that you're following your made-up morals.

Unfortunately, everyone read Playing to Win. Meh, it just makes this topic kinda pointless.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
So.. if nintendo publicly endorsed advanced techs by putting them all in the instruction booklet that comes with brawl, would you use them?

If your answer is no, maybe the whole deal here is that you just don't enjoy fighting games that are very technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom