• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TMNT: Smash Up. A fighter by Brawl developers

RaphaelTMNT

Smash Apprentice
It seems though some of you don't like the game, in my opinion it is better than Brawl. I like the fact that I can combo my opponent without them getting out of everything like in Brawl. Smash bros melee is still the greatest, but this game is definately 2nd best!! My Knightwatcher and Raphael are getting really good:)

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
This game is more fun than brawl only because there's less gayness/camping.

TMNT Straight Up

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Though I'll agree this game was really overhyped, I really like this game. The main reason why I like this game is because the characters are more balanced than Smash Bros, but still some characters are better than others. I won't say it's better over all than Smash Bros, but I still like it.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I'm really excited to pick this game up, the more I read the more I'm interested.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
(mhhrmhmrmhgetitontheinternethmrmmhrm)

As soon as I got the game I started bashing it.

As soon as I started figuring out the mechanics and physics I was like" Alright..."

As soon as I started playing more I began to love it. No projectiles (aside from Sword Throw and Fugitoid's JEZORZ BEAMZ), good character balance, no rediculously stupid stages, good combos (underrated comboability), and the physics compensate for the slow ground metagame.

What people aren't seeing about this game is that IT IS NOT TO BE COMPARED TO BRAWL. Even if it might be better just to pick up Brawl and play (Though Brawl is MUCH more frustrating to play), Smash Up is a DIFFERENT GAME. Different physics, different metagame, different tactics, different everything. You don't 0-death combo someone in Smash Up. You either go for grabs, go for an aerial rush, or guard your way to your opponent, and try to generate as much damage as possible to take off a stock later. Wall attacks are another good option too.

You have much fewer options for rushing in Smash Up. As I said, rush in the air with an aerial, guard, or go for a fakeout grab. You can also try to use a longer range attack for people like Leonardo and Nightwatcher, but you can get punished for missing or getting guard-rushed. It's just like SFIV in this context:

Aerials > Grabs > Guard > Wall Attacks > Aerials

Or something like that. Except Smash Up is more free; you can change momentum in the air and you have a LOT of control over it. Usually Wall Attacks will force your opponent to the ground, and you can stop midway. Just Wall Attack towards the enemy, then downwards at the ground if you miss to cancel out any excess lag and go for grabs or guard for safety. Grabs are also more free; you can break out of grabs by wiggling your movement control, or alternately you can counter grab by guarding when the G appears above your head.

Another thing I should mention is the use of ground hitstun.

The stunned time on the ground is much larger if you are hit with a stronger or a stun move in Smash Up. If you are stunned, or dazed, as I should say, you will be unable to move for a short time, and you can shake out of it faster. Though, aside from that, hitstun on the ground is rather large. You'll be down for quite a bit if you get hit, but there are many invincible frames to compensate. As another compensation, getting up when knocked down is very hard. Rolling out to the left or right is risky as getup attacking is. This is why Teching is even more important here, just as important as it is in BlazBlue; it's very risky. Much more risky than not teching in Brawl.

I do want to play around with SU a lot more. Maybe if I can compile enough I can explain the more....competitive scene. Though I haven't yet much of "competition", I can see there is potential. But it's certainly not pulling me away from vBrawl-er, I mean, Brawl+. Actually I feel this is much better than vBrawl. xD Do keep the Brawl+ talk to a minimum in here, we don't want to end up bashing anything.

nessqk

Smash Journeyman
love this game nightwatcher all the way baby i really wanna pick up utrominator as well

Banks

Smash Hero
I played this for a while last night, everyone mostly did aaa combos at first obviously, and following up with one or two aerials depending on the character. my question is, what are some reliable ways to approach something standing around mashing buttons, you seem to get caught by something especially when you are jumping in at a snails pace.

one thing i found with raphael that may or may not actually work is doing aaa until he does the quick jabbing, then dashing forward and grabbing. it worked a bunch of times but none of us really knew too much about what we were doing.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
LOL... by the way kiddos. You can get grabbed mid-dodge or roll in this game. These devs keep getting worse and worse. First Brawl and now TMNT Smash Up... sigh

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Does that really matter? I haven't seen it being to effective grabs are REALLY slow, and you cant dash grab so yeah

I don't see it being a big deal. This game isn't as good as brawl for sure though. There's lag on everything the game play doesn't see to be smooth because of this breaking grabs and stuns are inconsistent and the character roster is a joke but I still enjoy it for now at least.

Jab combos are beast in this game.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I've read and watched several reviews.

I'm not sure if I even want to rent it anymore.

Game devs are truly disconnected from fans.

kr3wman

Smash Master
We played it last night and we realized everyone has Melee Marth grab range lol!

Tech chasing is completely broken.

Roll away? Walk toward and grab, putting him on the ground again.

Get up attack? Block and grab, putting him on the ground again.

Roll Behind? Turn around and grab, putting him on the ground again.

It's like every matchup is Sheik vs Falcon in Melee LOL.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with the outcome of this. I <3 the Ninja Turtles and I really wanted this game to be great, but I think they just rushed this game out to meet a deadline without really taking the time to get it right. Only 13 real characters from the ENTIRE turtle universe and incredibly shallow gameplay just doesn't cut it for me. Maybe this one will sell well enough on the brand alone that it will justify a sequel that will get better attention. We can hope, right?

§leepy God

Smash Master
I think the real reason was... they made this for PS2, if not for that the they would had put much more work into making this game better, that's my reason. >.>

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ So much for my hype for this game. When I saw the reviewers, that made me not want to game anymore. ); ♥

Tony_

Smash Ace
We played it last night and we realized everyone has Melee Marth grab range lol!

Tech chasing is completely broken.

Roll away? Walk toward and grab, putting him on the ground again.

Get up attack? Block and grab, putting him on the ground again.

Roll Behind? Turn around and grab, putting him on the ground again.

It's like every matchup is Sheik vs Falcon in Melee LOL.
Like what someone said; suck less. If your getting grabbed a lot, your terrible at this game.

Also, I like it when people make conclusions without having played the game for an extended period of time. ; )

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Also, I like it when people make conclusions without having played the game for an extended period of time. ; )
Yeah, that's what we all said when Brawl first came out. Now look at it.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
But Brawl was bad from the start, and caused a community that was already divided to fracture itself.
What are you basing this on? Do you know how many good players play Melee and Brawl? A lot.

Also, a game can't just "turn" bad. If a game is bad, it's bad... lmao

Stop defending the game, people have already formulated opinions, as you clearly have, and you just come in with no defense to this claim, while others present good arguments, so maybe you should think before you make claims that others don't know what they're talking about.

You've played it for the same amount of time they have, so you have no right to tell someone else that they're opinion is incorrect based on how long they've played the game.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
I've been playing the game since about as early as anyone else and I've been playing with live competition, not just online play. You do not suck if you get grabbed. Grabs have good range, high priority and you can't defend against them. You can't roll away. You can't spot dodge. You just get grabbed. All of the good gamers that I know that have played this have come to the same conclusions I have. Grabbing is stupid good. The controls are sticky and a little slow. The cast is too small and the gameplay too shallow.

It's worth a rent if you are a big turtles fan, but this game won't have legs. There isn't enough depth to keep people interested for a long time. Sad to say, but its true.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I understand the frustration of listening to someone rant about how bad a game is without having played it. However, it's not rocket science to look at the videos and see the extreme conditions at play here: ******** gravity, worthless dodges, slow combat, etc.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
the way i see it is, if you like playing it, then play it. If you don't then don't.

M.K

Level 55
the way i see it is, if you like playing it, then play it. If you don't then don't.
Great logic, your words have inspired me. I will now ACTIVELY seek out things I HATE and will try my best to have NOTHING to do with them.
Don't say stupid things for the sake of adding to the conversation, it just makes you sound even stupider. V_V

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
That's basically a vacuous truth.

We're discussing TMNT's competitive viability, not whether individuals like it.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing the game since about as early as anyone else and I've been playing with live competition, not just online play. You do not suck if you get grabbed. Grabs have good range, high priority and you can't defend against them. You can't roll away. You can't spot dodge. You just get grabbed. All of the good gamers that I know that have played this have come to the same conclusions I have. Grabbing is stupid good. The controls are sticky and a little slow. The cast is too small and the gameplay too shallow.
You know you can counter grabs right? When they throw you a "G" will appear above your character, press your grab button and you will counter it. This is pretty standard and basic for a lot of fighting games. There is also nothing necessary wrong with a small cast if we are talking strictly as its "competitive viability."

Stop defending the game, people have already formulated opinions, as you clearly have, and you just come in with no defense to this claim, while others present good arguments, so maybe you should think before you make claims that others don't know what they're talking about..
I don't believe many good arguments have been presented at all. The major one he replied to with "get better" is pretty much the truth. Grabs being broken is just silly, get good so you either won't get grab or practice countering them. If you can learn how to tech you can learn to counter grabs.

I am really dumbfounded at how people are actually taking reviews into consideration for not wanting to take the game seriously but also not wanting to even try the game. Seriously, what the hell people. This reviews are aimed towards people who play smash up, brawl and melee like the children's party games they are. With items, free for all and the reviewers probably think characters like Ike are among the best.

With that said, I prefer brawl to smash up but thats like preferring green feces over brown feces. The games does have flaws but I can see how people who want a more aggressive game could like it.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Brawl and Melee both received basically perfect scores across the board.

TMNT didn't come close.

vagabond

Smash Apprentice
What are you basing this on? Do you know how many good players play Melee and Brawl? A lot.
Perhaps, but 99.9% of them do it b/c there are more ppl. playing Brawl in tournies (i.e. ppl. who want an easy-mode game) and therefore more money to be made. Ask these good players which one they prefer, and almost all of them will say Melee.

On topic, game is fun with friends but probably isn't even as good as Brawl which is a shame cuz it shouldn't be hard to be, and of course can't even stand in the shadow of Melee.

nevershootme

Smash Master
quit comparing brawl and melee combined sheesh, lack of constructive criticism on reviewing games... that's like hey imma review modern warfare 2 and compare it to melee and brawl!

anyways, I saw that the game will have a short appeal when i tried it was due to it's design for the mechanics of the game, while it tried to make it deviate from Smash, it felt lilke a lack of polish was done to make it fluid.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Brawl and Melee both received basically perfect scores across the board.

TMNT didn't come close.
Brawl is not even close to the depth of melee as a competitive game, so I am still not seeing how game reviewers should matter or are relevant to giving the game a chance. In reality smash games wouldn't get as many high scores if it wasn't for all the nintendo characters in it.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is not even close to the depth of melee as a competitive game, so I am still not seeing how game reviewers should matter or are relevant to giving the game a chance. In reality smash games wouldn't get as many high scores if it wasn't for all the nintendo characters in it.
This post is by me not Joker, I forgot to log out of my bros account. ;)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
quit comparing brawl and melee combined sheesh, lack of constructive criticism on reviewing games... that's like hey imma review modern warfare 2 and compare it to melee and brawl!

anyways, I saw that the game will have a short appeal when i tried it was due to it's design for the mechanics of the game, while it tried to make it deviate from Smash, it felt lilke a lack of polish was done to make it fluid.
The TMNT game has "smash" in the title, was made by people who made Brawl, and operates under the same basic physics engine. Why wouldn't we compare it to Brawl/Melee? We are comparing TMNT to games that implemented these ideas correctly. TMNT clearly did not.

My point is that both Brawl and Melee at the very least produced deep experiences with enough polish to where even the non-competitive players and reviewers found them to be essentially "perfect" games. No, Brawl is not as competitive as Melee, but you are deluding yourself if you think the Nintendo characters are responsible for the high scores (but they do certainly add lots of appeal).

The bottom line is that I get into these games based on the community surrounding it. I don't play by myself or play online with faceless opponents. I want a game that I know will have depth and will have a solid competitive following. TMNT does not deliver that. Maybe I'll come back in a few years and check on it, but I am not going to be the one to pour dozens of hours into this game only to later be the one who says, "You know what? There is really no substance to this game."

nessqk

Smash Journeyman
ive been having really good competitive fights with this game i cant understand what everyones beef is about it

Top Bottom