• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TMNT: Smash Up. A fighter by Brawl developers

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Suppose it wouldn't hurt to let everyone here in on the secret (if you haven't figured it out already)...

Best Buy's leaked the game a week early. Check their website to see if it's in stock, it's still making the rounds. There's a thread over at Turtledojo that has some impressions - everyone's trying to figure out a way to unlock all the characters now.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I still wonder why they put Smash Up on a system that is suppose to be dead. Oh well, I guess we'll see if it's good idea or not, but I'll mostly say not.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Eh, it's better to happen this way than like Brawl, where we knew absolutely everything before anyone in the states picked it up.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
all those effin whiners in that forum.... sheesh just play the **** game and enjoy things that are not brawl

though not one has given clear details about the mechanics?
There's a post on the Strategies and Tactics forum that might help. I made a 'changes to expect' thread as well, but it might be a little outdated now that the game is out.

I don't see many complaints yet about it NOT being Brawl. All of what most people are saying is that it's simply something different, and they'll have to give it time.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Yeah, any help to break down the characters would be great. It'd be especially nice to get a rundown of each characters moveset. I'll probably also work on that once I find a character that suits me.

Though like Brawl and Melee before it, it'll be difficult to judge at first what's good and what's bad, what's useful and what's not. That'll all take time to know. The best hope at an early jump on it would be the strategy guide, which no one's been able to find yet.

nevershootme

Smash Master
i posted on the forum on some of the mechanics i understood...

and so far i feel disappointed in the game, i'd careless about character selection... but the mechanics is what drove me down on the expectations, unless i'm wrong and there are hidden things to break past the simple 3 hit combo....

Tony_

Smash Ace

and so far i feel disappointed in the game, i'd careless about character selection... but the mechanics is what drove me down on the expectations, unless i'm wrong and there are hidden things to break past the simple 3 hit combo....
There are. CPUs are usually stupid. Someone posted a while ago that certain moves do link with each other.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace

There's so much flexibility with continuing off stun attacks it's not even funny. You can extend your combos by a HUGE amount. 3 hits is nothing.

I spent a couple hours just in practice mode today trying to figure things out. Not all stun attacks work out so well, but when you find one that's quick enough its golden.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Important news: Online is not nearly as laggy as Brawl is.

I played with two people on the East coast (I'm on the West) in a 3 person match, and it was a little bit less laggy than a Brawl 1vs1. You'll still notice that you're playing online since there is a slight button lag, and sometimes an occasional hitch or two.

This could all change once the game hits the actual street date, hopefully it won't.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
In a few hours, a local Best Buy will be opening, and according to the site, they have this game. I'll be getting it if I can, and I'll be posting super detailed competitive impressions (general gameplay, characters, stages) after I unlock as much as I can and play extensively with it.

Tec0+9

Smash Apprentice
In a few hours, a local Best Buy will be opening, and according to the site, they have this game. I'll be getting it if I can, and I'll be posting super detailed competitive impressions (general gameplay, characters, stages) after I unlock as much as I can and play extensively with it.
But you play balance brawl, meaning your opinion don't matter.:lick:

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Got my hands on a copy of the game. Quick impressions:

- If you guys thought Brawl was floaty... WOAH! Wait until you play this. Unfortunately, this also makes the game a little slow.
- The characters feel way more like each other than in Smash games.
- Its really easy to unlock everyone
- Casey Jones = Ike lol
- Stage hazards are excessive. Getting insta-killed by them is annoying. If you hold a tourney for this, stick to the non-hazard stages entirely.
- Missions are pretty nifty
- Teams will be better than singles & tagteam mode looks fun.
- Fun, but not as good as I'd hoped.

EDIT (more impressions):
- Nightwatcher = Top Tier? Maybe so!
- you can't turn off tap-jump :( :(
- You can attack directly out of techs, but you can't break your tumble when you get hit for a LOOOONG time.
- The "point" mechanic is stupid.
- Counter-throws and face offs are hard to do now, but I imagine that people will get really good at them and make throwing really dangerous to try and clanking really obnoxious.
- There are only 16 confirmed characters, but 4 spots left on their official website. We are currently trying to find out how to unlock more characters. I'm guessing that Leatherhead and Baxter Stockman are definitely in, with two more surprises to come.
- There are definitely "sweet spots" to certain attacks, ala Marth's tipper in Melee.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
But you play balance brawl, meaning your opinion don't matter.:lick:
BBrawl is amazing so...

Anyway, the store doesn't appear to have it despite the website claiming it does (which is dumb). I guess I'm waiting until the real release date, and I'm not buying it from Best Buy that's for sure.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Got my hands on a copy of the game. Quick impressions:

- If you guys thought Brawl was floaty... WOAH! Wait until you play this. Unfortunately, this also makes the game a little slow.
- The characters feel way more like each other than in Smash games.
- Its really easy to unlock everyone
- Casey Jones = Ike lol
- Stage hazards are excessive. Getting insta-killed by them is annoying. If you hold a tourney for this, stick to the non-hazard stages entirely.
- Missions are pretty nifty
- Teams will be better than singles & tagteam mode looks fun.
- Fun, but not as good as I'd hoped.

EDIT (more impressions):
- Nightwatcher = Top Tier? Maybe so!
- you can't turn off tap-jump :( :(
- You can attack directly out of techs, but you can't break your tumble when you get hit for a LOOOONG time.
- The "point" mechanic is stupid.
- Counter-throws and face offs are hard to do now, but I imagine that people will get really good at them and make throwing really dangerous to try and clanking really obnoxious.
- There are only 16 confirmed characters, but 4 spots left on their official website. We are currently trying to find out how to unlock more characters. I'm guessing that Leatherhead and Baxter Stockman are definitely in, with two more surprises to come.
- There are definitely "sweet spots" to certain attacks, ala Marth's tipper in Melee.
A few disagreements and impressions of my own...

- I don't think the floatiness matters much, since you can downfall so fast now. You don't want to be in the air anyways most of the time - that's not how you'll be racking up many hits.

- The characters are all similar to each other on some basic generalities. In Brawl everyone had highly distinct special attacks, whereas most everyone in this game has some givens. AAB is always going to be a knockback combo for example. But once you start looking into which moves stun, which moves turnaround the opponent, which moves combo into one another, etc, there's a great deal of variation between each character. Enough so that you can't expect to learn one character and apply the same to the next and do decent.

You really need to go into practice mode with each individual character you want to learn, which is something I almost never did in the Smash games. There's a bit more 'dial-a-combo' moments relative to them as well.

- Tap jump isn't really a problem, since you can now do up-tilts with a forward-up tilt.

- Haven't played much with Casey, but he's a little faster than Ike IMO. Some people have compared him to Link in Brawl. Like most characters though, I still don't think there's really a Brawl equivalent.

Some characters actually feel like they have Soul-Calibur equivalents. That'd be a good way to describe the game actually - it's almost as if SC and SB had a baby. The result is a game that's definitely unique, and a lot of fun I think.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Saying that its like SC and Brawl having a baby is a good analogy. I can agree to that. Casey as Link instead of Ike is probably a better comparison, but he does a move that is just like Ike's up+b (aether) so it got me laughing. Also, you can get "Iked" in this game, where you get pushed off the side and can't recover cause the game buffered an attack that is suddenly an aerial.

Floatiness definitely matters. It slows the pace of the aerial game down by quite a bit. Just because you can fast fall doesn't mean that it doesn't take you too freakin' long to get up there. Plus, if you want to attack out of the air, you aren't going to do it very quickly. It's a big factor in how this game plays vs. Melee or Brawl.

The controls are a little clunky, even more so than Brawl. You get stuck on the ground a lot, which is another factor that slows the pace of the game down. There are a lot of forced animations or pauses that make the game feel unresponsive.

Still looking for more characters. I hear that you can unlock someone by beating all the bonus games, but the kunai game is kicking my butt. I'll report in if I manage to beat it and unlock someone.

Overall, the game is good, but it's no surprise that this is by the same developer as Brawl. It's not as satisfying as the fast-paced 2D fighters I'm used to. However, it does look like there will be some depth. I need to mess around and learn some more combos and figure out how to extend them properly with stuns and ninja weapons. I'm still pretty disappointed about the excessive hazards on so many of the stages, but its not like there aren't playable stages.

B-Run

Smash Journeyman
Leo
Raph
Don
Mikey
Splinter
April
Casey
Night Watcher
Shredder
Karai
Utrominator
Foot Soldier
Fugitoid
Splinter Rabbid
Raving Rabbid
Turtle Rabbid

That's the full roster, trust me, no other secret characters to discover. Only more costumes.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Leo
Raph
Don
Mikey
Splinter
April
Casey
Night Watcher
Shredder
Karai
Utrominator
Foot Soldier
Fugitoid
Splinter Rabbid
Raving Rabbid
Turtle Rabbid

That's the full roster, trust me, no other secret characters to discover. Only more costumes.
That's kinda a bad roster...

To, generic. No one special...

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Nightwatcher = Meta Knight CONFIRMED!

LOL They have the same victory quote. XD
Nightwatcher's kinda slow actually. He's got a good moveset, but all of his ranged moves have significant lag attached. His throw animations are absolutely awesome though. They go on for a second or two longer than everyone else's ... it's kind of humbling when it's happening to you, but it is pretty cool looking I must admit.

Karai's the fastest character according to the strategy guide. I wouldn't have guessed that on my own, but I chose to play as her before I knew. She's really good at stringing combos together, but she's relatively weak and not unstoppable.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace

Floatiness definitely matters. It slows the pace of the aerial game down by quite a bit. Just because you can fast fall doesn't mean that it doesn't take you too freakin' long to get up there. Plus, if you want to attack out of the air, you aren't going to do it very quickly. It's a big factor in how this game plays vs. Melee or Brawl.

The controls are a little clunky, even more so than Brawl. You get stuck on the ground a lot, which is another factor that slows the pace of the game down. There are a lot of forced animations or pauses that make the game feel unresponsive.
The floatiness is a difference definitely. But I think people need to understand more that you won't be juggling people with air attacks. That's just not how the game was built. The big combo strains are meant to chained together on the ground.

General movement does feel slightly less responsive (you can't quite turn on a dime, dash dance, etc). But I'm not sure I'd describe the feel of the game as clunky once you've gotten the hang of it. Especially not with a faster character. There is a learning curve to get used to some of the delays and such.

Grabbing is also pretty quick relative to most moves. The lag if you miss is sorta bad, but you seem to have a lot more range than in the Smash games. There's more good offensive opportunities to grab I find. The Soul Calibur comparison might be apt there as well. Timing the grab reversals and even the grab escapes, on the other had, is a *****. Even though the game might move a little slower than Brawl, you really have to be on your toes between those and the stun escapes. The speed of the game doesn't annoy me so much - perhaps it's because of that.

Alzi

Smash Master
This game could of been better if they removed that stupid glow around the character and made the roster more decent.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
My only huge problem with the roster is the Rabbids. The least they could've done is replace them for the obvious guest franchise AKA Ninja Gaiden. :bigthumbu

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Checked the game files. B-Run is correct about the final character list. We can confirmed 100% that there are no new unknown characters. Just new costumes. Boo @ Ubisoft. :(

Jonas

Smash Champion
Yeah, three different Rabbids (I don't know if the differences are purely cosmetic, but still) but NO BEBOP OR ROCKSTEADY?
Cause, you know, Rabbids are so much more important that Bebop and Rocksteady in a TMNT 25th anniversary game.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Eastman and Laird pretty much hate Rocksteady and Bebop. Remember Tokka and Razar from the second film? Those characters were a compromise, because the studio wanted Bebop and Rocksteady and the creators said no way. Don't ever expect to see them again in any TMNT product. Never happening. They won't be in a sequel, or a third game or a fourth unless some major money comes into play.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Crispy4001, it's funny to see how badly you want this game to rock.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Eastman and Laird pretty much hate Rocksteady and Bebop. Remember Tokka and Razar from the second film? Those characters were a compromise, because the studio wanted Bebop and Rocksteady and the creators said no way. Don't ever expect to see them again in any TMNT product. Never happening. They won't be in a sequel, or a third game or a fourth unless some major money comes into play.
^This

And besides, does anybody even REMEMBER anything about those two let alone the 80s cartoon they so desire so much. Especially considering that Krang played a bigger role in the show.

And for goodness sake, the 80s toon gets A STAGE. While all the other incarnations do not.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
i love the splinter cell rabbid lol

also isn't there a ninja rabbid in this game also?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
^This

And besides, does anybody even REMEMBER anything about those two let alone the 80s cartoon they so desire so much. Especially considering that Krang played a bigger role in the show.

And for goodness sake, the 80s toon gets A STAGE. While all the other incarnations do not.
It's what got my money in the 80's and 90's.

...It may have just been a stage but this game isn't getting my money without it.

BTW, they don't hate Bebop and Rocksteady.

Eastman and Laird didn't put Bebop and Rocksteady in the second film because they didn't like the direction the characters were going in the second season of TMNT 80's. The writers of the cartoon were making them progressively stupider with each episode. Eastman and Laird created them to be, in the least, competent if dimwitted...sorta like the purple dragon leader

Bebop and Rocksteady were created by Eastman and Laird

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
forgive me if this has been mentioned...

but can you still get that stage and bonus rabbid character without preordering at Amazon? i have a preorder at gamestop, because they said I could pick it up at midnight when I get my copy of ODST.

but i'll do a last minute switch on that the only way to get the full game is Amazon

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
just for future reference, i am maining nightwatcher and karai

so i can be inb4 "lol you only picked them cause theyre broken"

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Shredder kinda feels like Ganon.

Top Bottom