• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TKI: UK's First Brawl Tourney. May 24th. Sunderland. Confirmed.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Grabs can't be buffered so you can't just keep tapping Z all the time.

I don't think it should be banned because of ease of use, that's not a real reason to ban anything. It has almost the same effect as wobbling but with pros and cons in comparison; you don't need 2 Marths to be synched but the cg ends at the edge of a stage or platform unlike the wobble.

We'll see how things go with the tourney anyway before anything is banned.

After all, a tournament is supposed to be a test of skill
*Plugs in the GC*

If this chaingrab is fair game, then why not let DDD go wild on Shadow Moses?
Shadow moses is just like Hyrule except the other way round. Horizontal hits will just be teched unless you want to gain decay attacking those walls.

Oh yeah, the "child abuse" infinite is different from DK's cargo. You couldn't inflict damage while grabbing in 64.

craiigg

Smash Lord
You also missed the entire point of me bringing Shadow Moses up.
If DDD's infinite on Shadow Moses is so unfair that it needs the stage removed, why is the Marth infinite on Ness/Lucas (which is even easier to do) fair game?
If the Marth infinite is banned, then why not DDD's wall infinite? Because it's preventable.
Whether or not either is easier to perform, based on your opinion of button input the same effect is going to happen. We can do what we can to prevent this, whether it be stage bans or otherwise it is still preventable by your own actions.
Like i've said, if this happens in one match, and you carry on playing Ness or Lucas it is a risk you take for allowing that particular match-up.

Opinion and sensationalism.
Camping is not some evil word.
There's plenty of reasons people hate Hyrule, but stages don't get banned because people piss and moan about them. The only justified reason Hyrule got banned was because Fox was unbeatable by everyone except Fox himself, Falcon and Pichu. Well ****, that'd be an awesome competitive scene.
Hyrule has no bearing in this argument, you're just using it to try and justify your (bias) opinion.
How can you claim that camping isn't so bad, then complain about it 2 sentences down in the same paragraph.
Using two extremeties of the same technique, saying one is acceptable and the other is not is not a viable argument.
Camping is tournament legal, and yes it will piss people off. But it can again be prevented/dealt with.
By your reasoning, why shouldn't FD be banned for Fox because he can just runaround shooting and evading.

That's because no one played SSB64, so no one gave a ****.
Bashing the game that paved the way for melee and brawl is simple selfishness and ignorance on your part.

64 is like melee is to brawl, people prefer certain features over others.
Your opinion is nothing.

Also, to reply to Frost: DK's lift onto his back did 7-8% each aswell as the fact that you can walk around (i.e down to Hyrules green hut to finish with an upsmash)

Softbanning is a common occurence in fighting game scenes, such as 'Old' Sagat in ST. It's not an 'official' ruling, or something that needs 'named'. The majority just doesn't do whatever it is because it diminishes the game. Whether you want to be the wiener that chooses to demonstrate your skill by mashing Z one handed with your eyes shut is entirely your call, hence a 'soft' ban and not an actual, official ban.
Which was entirely my point, that you obviously overlooked.
Why moan about whether this technique will be 'softbanned' or 'frowned upon' in a better sense of wording, when you know that people aren't going to accept it as a skillful technique.
Naming an occurence that is an obvious happening sounds like a feasable attempt at gratifying your knowledge of this game, and your superiority/know-it-all mindset that you think you have so stop moaning.

You are entirely free to your own opinion, however don't come in here bashing people like Frost's reasonings and intelligent opinions on game specifics.
Especially when you've had no say in the UK smash metagame in a couple of years (if at all)

Let's get this back on topic, if you have another problem with it with viable reasoning rather than opinionated banter, do so in another thread.

Aiko

Smash Champion
We'll just have to wait and see if any marth players do it on ness/lucas players. I don't know how many there are but i'm sure they won't stop playing ness/lucas just because of marth. As for any Dedede/IC playeres, I play both. IC's are still decent characters without the chaingrabs and imo, the IC chaingrab is pretty easy, with a little practice. Dedede's standing grab is pretty easy too (easier than IC's), and again, Dedede is an excellent character even without his infinite grab and chain grab.

Shadow moses is without a doubt banned as its not only Dedede's grab infinite on that, but any multi hitting moves will infinite. Hyrule should be banned for camping reasons. Camping is acceptable to a point, and hyrule is past that, because we shouldn't make it TOO easy to fire some lasers and run for 6 mins. On medium sized stages, its a little harder and acceptable.

Grabs CANNOT be buffered. Even if you hit right at the last frame of the grab, the character will be released after the hit.

Btw, Decadent one, are you coming to this? At least your debating skills are better than this:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158480&page=14

Kone

Smash Master
To all - it wont be banned. Not till proven to be **** in a tournameny situation. Nuff said already.

actually to craig - it is pretty **** to say just change character...if lucas is my main im going to be rather ****ed off if from now on I get counter picked by marths and have to change repeatedly. Makes playing lucas rather dislikeable.

Other than that - Edwin/Frost are you guys coming? would like to know ^_^

ed

Grimpeh

Smash Apprentice
Really though you've got to be a bit of a gimp to exploit these lame broken parts of the game, i wouldn't do it anyway, i'd want to think (and for everyone else to think) that i deserved to win a game, not just won it through chain grabing.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
He seemed to misunderstand the entire situation, thinking that it would end at the stage end. All I did was correct him.
It moves Marth forward against Ness and even further with DI, so it ends at the edge of the stage. He needs to dash grab Lucas so it ends even quicker on him.

Edit: Marth and Squirtle step forward every time a grab is broken. This is what actually allows them to regrab so easily, but they are still moving closer to an edge.

The "round" stages, aside from the camping aspect were also banned because it was impossible to KO anyone without them teching and living to a potential 999% (Skyworld, Spear pillar, whatever. I just used Hyrule as an example). That's another reason to ban Shadow moses which is a box stage with walls in tact, and a walk off stage with them broken. Walk off stages are banned for obvious reasons.

COEY

Smash Lord
Ed- Craig did have a point with his change character approach tho. If say lucas is your main and he is completely destroyed by marths then how is that any different to say picking up melee for the first time and thinking "you know what? i really love this mewtwo character." Brawl will have some sort of tier or ranking system at one point or another, and counter picking is there for a reason.

As for all this chaingrab bish.... for now just listen to Ed as its not getting banned one way or another. Also any talk of wall infinites is abit dumb as most stages available dont have walls, and the few that do have them for a very limited time. Just stay away from them lol.

Lets have a tourney with stuff that could possibly warrant a ban, unbanned. Then if any of it is game changing then we know for the future. Like in 2 years who the hell is gonna care much if you won TKI?

Edit: <3

Kone

Smash Master
Will: u dont get my point. This tech is pretty much lucas/ness specific, takes little skill and completely negates their ability to do well in tournies. Name something similar in melee? yes tiers existed and yes it was hard for mewtwo to do well v marth. But it wasnt due to one very lame technique. It wont be hard for any good player to pick up and play a half decent marth (which is hard btw in brawl) and learn the timing for this tech. When they see a lucas or ness then their likelyhood of winning is v.good. This basically means said lucas or ness player loses a match per set. Hardly v.cool and isnt the same as counter picking chars in melee. You get me?

I agree with you that it isnt the end of either char and we are yet to know how it'll actually impact them in the tournament setup. It does however sidetrack ness/lucas chars into having to consider learning another char alongside them :/

meh :)

edit: i just think its poor that ive already got to think about counter picking chars and the midngames involved in avoiding that marth or w/e char this early on lol :(

Kone

Smash Master
Stages:
Neutral - Battlefield, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium 1.

Counter - Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege, Battleship Halberd, Frigate Orpheon, Distant Planet, Luigi Mansion, Corneria, Onett, Brinstar, Rainbow Ride

Attendees (potential)-

Kone
Jam5
DSD9
Sos (+ 2?)
Gladam (+2)
Craiggg
The Mole
SLVR
GAwes
Jo3 (unlikely)
Coey (+friend?)
Pm!
PMKev
Jako
Deca (+2?)
Yenrith
Skalor
Starchaser
Edds
Raymo (+others?)
Grimpeh (+2)
Fuzzyness
Aion (?)
Frostbyte (?)
Tears of Seph (?)
Aiko
Bullet Bill
AMCD (?)
Box
BB (?)
Cpt Smashie (?)
Tails Chao (+others)
Other
Sieg

I did this off the top of my head. Most likely missed people :)

Ed

Yeniths

East Midlands!
If we get this type of turnout, this is going to be one crazy tourney :D. The counterpick list looks all good with me. Now just to kill 13 days until this.

craiigg

Smash Lord
D1 - I really can't be ***** to argue with you anymore, from what i've seen and from i've heard there really is no point because you seem to take 1 line and turn it into 20 & i doubt Ed really wants mass posts from everyone clouding his thread. It seems you're just here to argue and I got bored of that after the last post.

Ed - I didn't mean it so bluntly, as to just deal with the situation.
I mean that somewhere at sometime you're going to have to deal with the re-grab as a Lucas main :/
Just means you might have to train up a counterpick incase some ****** does come and do it

Don't get me wrong I don't think it shouldn't be banned at all, just think it shouldn't be decided until we've held atleast one tourny.

On a different topic, Jamz where are you ? Wanna book a coach up soon ^__^

COEY

Smash Lord
Ed- Ok yea i see where your coming from now but still i wasn't meaning that the grab isn't gay or really easy to do. I meant in general things similar to this are gonna happen with character match ups. And though there isn't something that similar in melee marth still does have a huge amounts of stuff he can do off grabs with little technical skill required. Basically what im getting at is that in brawl i think all characters have strong and weak match ups and like even in melee the top players are going to need strong secondary characters too. And i mean though marths grab is quite gay to ness and lucas, i feel grabs themselves are harder to get in brawl unless your dumb enough to get shield grabbed alot. And marth has alot less off his grabs especially when you get into higher percentages.

You are right though its a little gay we have to think this way already. But i guess thats what comes from looking into melee indepth for all those years. :)

Oh and Distant Planet....? Your mad dude haha ;)

Edit: For attendees my mate is still 50/50 atm for coming along, and with Joe if he does come he wont be taking part, same goes for Phil as far as i could gather from the last time we spoke.

COEY

Smash Lord
LOOOL at people taken time out of there day to play this game
I spend most of my time playing wow now anyways so brawl isn't really much of a step down really is it? ;)

Lol i know your only messing anyways dude, but i mean you can kinda lol at someone taking time outta their day to make a post regarding people who take time out of their day to play brawl.....yea!! :p

Yeniths

East Midlands!
I'm in the same boat with Lylat Cruise, i personally hate it as a neutral stage, but i guess most others disagree, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see how big of a part stages play.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Kone, I'd like to say this to everyone.

At XTC4 I competed in the brawl singles and doubles, It was actually fun (more doubles than singles because of so much randomness IKE F SMASH BOWSER TEAM) so don't get put off by the game being different. If it gets a thumbs up from me tourney wise GO ****IT!

Skalor

Smash Apprentice
Kone, I'd like to say this to everyone.

At XTC4 I competed in the brawl singles and doubles, It was actually fun (more doubles than singles because of so much randomness IKE F SMASH BOWSER TEAM) so don't get put off by the game being different. If it gets a thumbs up from me tourney wise GO ****IT!
Im looking forward to Doubles. Just becaus im expecting lots of random things to happen that will be hilarious.

lol :p

Skalor

Smash Apprentice
yeah i lost doubles matches cause of a random footstool jump ko on my last stock rofl
Im expecting lots of things like that haha :p

I'm in the same boat with Lylat Cruise, i personally hate it as a neutral stage, but i guess most others disagree, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see how big of a part stages play.
You don't like it because you know ROB owns on it, and Falco sucks :p

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
LOL P Pro had to pretend he was at his friends for a couple of days to go to ALT, I doubt their going to allow him to go further north to play smash.

That said, he doesn't even like brawl if I recall right.

COEY

Smash Lord
Ok guys i've had an idea, seen as how like i've said in previous posts this is the first proper Brawl tourney in the UK and as such winning it may get you remembered but in a couple of years will mean absolutely nothing. This in mind i want to know if i started a UK videos thread if anybody would be willing to upload and add to this. I know alot of poeples first reaction will be no, this partly due to not wanting to let anybody learn their playstyle or where they are at in terms of the current brawl meta game. But not only consider what i mentioned above but also think into the future. Imo having even just a few vids up would encourage watchers who may not be as good to improve and hopefully raise the bar for TKI and future tourneys. I'm just suggesting as our community is alot busier than it was at melees release, this gives us the chance to make sure we show the rest of the world what the UK can do. You know unless you guys are happy coming last in internationals like at every european melee event. :(

Well this is just a suggestion and if i get enough feedback i will make a gesture of good faith and upload some matches in the next couple of days.

Aiko

Smash Champion
im sure you know but others wont, theres a variety of brawl vids on my youtube profile. Unfortunately, these are sorely outdated but its a nice starter for those unaware of the standard.

Actually now that I think about it, there is a UK brawl vid thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=149193
its pretty old, no ones posted on it but nows a good a time as any.

COEY

Smash Lord
oh cool didnt realise that lol. but i hope your wrong about no one posting vids. :(
tki is obv already going to someone from the NW of england so it doesnt matter might as well upload.

Top Bottom