• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for Using Fox in Doubles

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
This hasnt really been explored soo

Anyone know any good team combos that involve Fox? some good strategies to use with him in a 2v1 situation? How to play as a teammate? How to play Fox in a doubles match?

I can post hundreds of questions but thats no fun, so any advice you guys can give would be great

My rl teammate is a GAW btw

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
Anyone know any good team combos that involve Fox? some good strategies to use with him in a 2v1 situation? How to play as a teammate? How to play Fox in a doubles match?

I can post hundreds of questions but thats no fun, so any advice you guys can give would be great

My rl teammate is a GAW btw
try to have ur partner grab the oppenet when double teaming and u do up smash, or u could give him gun to his bucket but that wont do much

Irsic

Smash Ace
Yeah, bucket is pretty weak but most players still act differently when approaching a full bucket GaW.

Grab release charged upsmash is probably the best kill situation for a 2v1.

I have quite a lot of problems with Fox in 2v2 as he can be quite the ragdoll.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
As much as I loathe posting on these boards...

Playing against a Fox and Marth is a lot like trying to run from an LA-7 and spitfire. There's no way you can outrun an LA-7, and there's no way you can out-turn a Spitfire.

Marth forces most characters to commit to all or nothing because of his tipper range, and when they commit it's easy to punish them with Fox after they've danced around Marth's sword.

In a doubles tourney I went to January 17th, we were able to literally brickwall opponents to the edges of stages and then either tipper them or punish with Fox. It was effective enough stage coverage that we landed 3 or 4 easy tippers every game.

Fox's bair and fair covers all the area above Marth well so that he can focus on what's in front of him better. If the opponent gets around Marth, then they either get hit by Fox or they miss Fox and then get hit by Marth who's since recovered from his last attack (and can be guarded by Fox who is above Marth and ready to drop).

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
As much as I loathe posting on these boards...

Playing against a Fox and Marth is a lot like trying to run from an LA-7 and spitfire. There's no way you can outrun an LA-7, and there's no way you can out-turn a Spitfire.

Marth forces most characters to commit to all or nothing because of his tipper range, and when they commit it's easy to punish them with Fox after they've danced around Marth's sword.

In a doubles tourney I went to January 17th, we were able to literally brickwall opponents to the edges of stages and then either tipper them or punish with Fox. It was effective enough stage coverage that we landed 3 or 4 easy tippers every game.

Fox's bair and fair covers all the area above Marth well so that he can focus on what's in front of him better. If the opponent gets around Marth, then they either get hit by Fox or they miss Fox and then get hit by Marth who's since recovered from his last attack (and can be guarded by Fox who is above Marth and ready to drop).
^ This sounds about right.

P.S. Where you been A6M?

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
interesting.

do you guys think its better to seperate the opponents and try and make it 1 on 1? or to both work together?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I say make them stumble together in 2v2. I use my speed make them hit each other and mess up, since they don't want to hit each other.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Fox and Ganon works great together.
With Ganon's extremely high attack power, and Fox's speed and throws, they can make a destructive combo, literally throwing the opposition everywhere.

A high % grab to warlock punch is always priceless. And they can even infinite someone when they're alone with flame choke to Fox's down air, repeat, although it has sensitive timing, its a great combo to do on someone who's all alone, and finish with a flame choke to up smash--which is deadly in any scenario.

This is a team that literally focuses on teamwork, like Fox's back throw to a Ganon spike, or shine sparta-ing (situational).

This is probably the most fun team for Fox, or it is in my opinion.

M@v

Subarashii!
^^ crappy advice is crap :ohwell:
Didnt feel the sarcasm eh?

Anyway:

In teams, foxs upsmash IS a major threat the the opposing team. I also believe fox does much better in teams, since he doesnt have to worry as much about all the gay locks and grabs. In teams I usually divide and conqueor with my team mate, and when we knock one guy far, we gang up on the other. In my experience, Marth and Olimar have been great partners to my fox, due to their ability to zone and space. Olimar's huge grab range is great for setting people up for fox's upsmash. Blaster isn't as useful due to friendly fire. How you play fox in teams really depends on who your partner is playing as.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
my partner plays GW
yeah, we know. We're discussing him in doubles, not telling you what you should do specifically. Don't be an idiot and take some of the discussion and apply it to yourself without us needing to edit it and spit it back out to you in "With Game and Watch" terms.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Get a teammate that is good at grabbing for holding up smashes. My friend's Diddy would glide toss bananas and grab their shields and I'd run across the board for the up smash.

Dxkid

Smash Apprentice
I have a teammate that uses Fox while I either use Falcon or Falco these two are great with
Fox in Teams like Falco Blaster and Chaingrabs can rack up damage then you can also Rack up damage with the Dair-->Utilt juggle combo

Falcon is good with helping Fox air game IMO for example Since Falcon Bthrow is pretty laggy you can easily Usmash your oppoent or you let falcon Uthrow while you use Fair

But those are from experice from teams i could be wrong if i am plz correct me

As for G&W cant really say only had one partner that use him if i come up with something ill edit

Those pretty much my thoughts on Fox and Teams i think its alittle useful

Clash_X

Smash Rookie
In teams my parnter grabs the opponent, pummels them while i shoot them with the blaster...Than charge upsmash!!!!!! Partner mains snake/rob

Joe we need to do moar dittos!

Clash_X

Smash Rookie
Hmm.. so your telling me when one member of the opposing team dies, the game ends?

EDIT:
Maybe I should of been more clear: When your in a 2 on 1 situation, have your opponent Grab->Pummel, than Fox shoots with Blaster, hell get relatively in death range... or just do the infinte grab release with your partner, that works too

Sukai

Smash Champion
Infinite Grab release has sensitive timing, but the grab hold to blaster?
Get out.
After a grab release, the opponent has free range, plus what if they're really maneuverable, sometimes that won't work, especially from 0%, which you're making it sound like.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
Hmm.. so your telling me when one member of the opposing team dies, the game ends?

EDIT:
Maybe I should of been more clear: When your in a 2 on 1 situation, have your opponent Grab->Pummel, than Fox shoots with Blaster, hell get relatively in death range... or just do the infinte grab release with your partner, that works too
The reason I stopped coming to the Fox boards was because of stupid people like you filling up threads with garbage. We don't need to be told that when our partner grabs somebody you should hit them. The point of this thread is to discuss doubles strategy specifically with Fox, and I tend to consider the majority of the actual match far more important than a 2 on 1 grab infinite.

At the very least you could of said something like a grab -> drill team infinite, at least it's FOX related. I don't understand this Grabbing + laser trash.

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
Why not D3?
His grabs are vicious, though you might wanna watch out for his smashes.

They also have a team infinite.
D3 d-throw -> Fox Shine, repeat!

Edit: G&W is actually fine enough, although can consider Marth, ROB, and D3.

Clash_X

Smash Rookie
The reason I stopped coming to the Fox boards was because of stupid people like you filling up threads with garbage. We don't need to be told that when our partner grabs somebody you should hit them. The point of this thread is to discuss doubles strategy specifically with Fox, and I tend to consider the majority of the actual match far more important than a 2 on 1 grab infinite.

At the very least you could of said something like a grab -> drill team infinite, at least it's FOX related. I don't understand this Grabbing + laser trash.
Hey it works for me in doubles so whatever...

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Fox is VERY good as a teammate to a good zoning character.

Marth has been mentioned, that is completely true.

The idea is that the zoning character creates a wall, and Fox is good at applying more pressure and capitalizing on the pressure created by the zoning char.

this leads to some interesting Teams matchups that Fox is good with.

One of which is Samus, even... probably my favorite partner.

Zeton

Smash Lord
NNID
ZetonX
I would have to say if you have fox in your team, be sure to have someone else with a good recovery, At the MWCC me and my friend that players Pit (KY_Des) placed 5th in doubles :3 I would handle the on stage fighting while he would cover the edges and off stage fighting. :3

We would of placed higher if my partner's controller didn't screw up on him. Oh well, the other teams won and not much we can do about it except go back into tournaments without any faulty controllers.

moogle

Smash Ace
I might be an unorthodox Fox. I'll listen if you disagree with any of my philosophies. Here's my take on Fox in teams:

1. You really shouldn't feel the need to approach, mainly because Fox isn't good at approaching. Fox is not a character you use to overpower someone. I'm not really saying you should camp... you just need to be opportunistic.

2. You need to be good at changing targets (between your two opponents), and you need to be aware of what both of your opponents are doing and what their percents are. I think your main purpose in teams as a Fox player is to get up smash kills. If you see that opposing Metaknight at 90%, stop trading hits with that Wario at 30% and go up smash the Metaknight... it takes a fraction of a second, and if the up smash connects, Metaknight's dead. Also, if you realize your opponent is in killing range of your up smash before he himself realizes it, then that's perfect for you.

3. I should probably build up cred on the Fox boards before throwing out an analogy like this, but here it goes. ;) If it helps to think of it this way, you can think of Fox as a rogue class in an RPG. You don't want to be noticed by your opponents, and you kinda don't want to be in close combat with them, but you do want to backstab (up smash) your opponents when they aren't aware of you.

4. That's about it. My suggestions aren't things like... mix shine->nair into your approach to throw off your opponent. They're just broad 2v2 concepts.

p.s.
running upsmash says hi. That is all.
^^ crappy advice is crap :ohwell:
Toronto Joe, this reply makes me sad. :(

SnowballBob33

Smash Ace
in dubs, dair and fair a lot cuz it racks up dmg quick and ppl arent focused 100% on you so it works. also if it gets to 2 on 1. u can dair a lot without havin to worry about gettin punished cuz ur teamate can punish their shield grab.

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
Teams mean nothing if both chars have clashing qualities.

Fox is about zoning and a punish-style metagame. The partner needs to be able to fill in the missing qualities.
I say Fox needs a partner with great approach, and some chars with good approach are ROB, G&W, Marth, and MK.

I say that your partner sticks with either their main or secondary. If your partner plays G&W well, then keep em.

The reason why Marth is often suggested is because they were the best team in Melee, and that Marth's great offensive/defensive metagame along with his reach makes him a good candidate for most any team.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
after getting some offline practice with my teammate ive come to this conclusion, feel free to add to what i got so far

Fox needs to move around the stage to be successful(well mine anyways) and since in 2v2 its hard to maneuver around, to make up for this i always make sure that im never sealed up in one area and i have the room to make the match go wherever i feel like.

Fox is a character best suited to complement his teammate, wait for the right situation then go in an attack. Set-up yourself up to be there when your opponent finishes his attack

Fox has a predictable approach, make up for this by switching who your attacking and where you attack them

Usmash is a reliable and effective way to get a fast k,o without worrying about getting punished

Fox can cover both the air and ground portion in teams, focus on either or and let your opponent worry about the other

You cant be your typical aggressive Fox in teams, we cannot stress patience!

Things that apply to Fox/GAW

GAW can use his uair to give you a push in the air, making it much easier to survive after being knocked back far

Some GAW/Fox Combos

Turtle --> every aerial
GAW dtilt ----> usmash
Either chars jab ---> usmash
Fishbowl ---> Bair
Key ---> Dair (THIS TAKES VERY GOOD TIMING BUT IT CAN BE LINKED CONTINUOSLY)

Theres so many combos to list so im going to stop with that said

Discuss, agrue, insult!

Chezzles

Smash Journeyman
One thing I'd add is not to be afraid to laser your own teammate to refresh your stale moves. Obviously don't do this to excess (you honestly shouldn't have to do this often if you're playing effectively), but trading some damage on your teammate in exchange for a fresh upsmash can be extremely convenient.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Why not D3?
His grabs are vicious, though you might wanna watch out for his smashes.

They also have a team infinite.
D3 d-throw -> Fox Shine, repeat!

^This.

My friend and I are working on a Wolf/Fox team. Wolf's down throw functions the same way except the timing is A LOT harder.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
i'm disappointed at the lack of Fox & Olimar mentioned in here. srsly, me and M@v **** with that team.

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
i'm disappointed at the lack of Fox & Olimar mentioned in here. srsly, me and M@v **** with that team.
Oli is a pain in teams. His attacks often get your partner involved, and since only a few ppl actually play to the order of their pkmn it can hurt Fox alot if you throw the wrong pkmn at the wrong time.
Also, Oli often loses pkmn at a faster rate, and in teams you don't have much time to pluck.
He's good, but he has twice as much work to do.
1.)Pay attention to pkmn order
2.)Make sure you don't ACCIDENTALLY hit your partner
3.)Pluck 1 by 1 to ensure his safety
4.)Not get knocked off the ledge

Top Bottom