• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiered Rankings / Gym Leader / Player Recognition Ideas

Jackio

Smash Cadet
Implement Bob$'s idea, but please, please, try and maintain an air of professionalism and separate the concept from Pokemon. It comes off as nerd masturbation, fulfilling a childish fantasy and using Melee as the vehicle. I know, there's a nerd label inherent to competitive Melee, but do we really have to throw ourselves head-****ing-first into the role? We should be doing all we can to combat the stereotype, not support it.
omg thisss

although I really like the thing with

"if your in top 5 you can't have a regional badge" just to keep **** liquid

Armada

Smash Lord
from a couple pages back, but i'd love to see this + character battles between any of you, mango, armada (and peepee if he has enough good chars lol).

make it happen at apex? i'm sure we could get significant sidebets on this
I would love to have a char battle with M2k or Mango =)

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Yeah, I don't think we are actually going for a pokemon style system here. It'll likely be something more integrated with the player tiers and how we decide on the fight card lineup for higher level players at tournaments. It's just funny to speculate about pokemon ****.

Engo

Smash Ace
People though that the plan was to actually give regions pokemon names and call the players "gym leaders"? It's an analogy to explain an idea which could be very interesting applied to smash. Obviously the titles would be changed and everything don't dismiss the idea just because it's related to pokemon.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
lol at people thinking a ladder system for acknowledgement and rankings using pokemon as an analogy is somehow childish and weird

how would we go about implementing this system anyway?

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Remember, this is the same community that sang the Pokemon theme song during grand finals.

I'M JUST SAYING.

Aber

Smash Journeyman
Remember, this is the same community that sang the Pokemon theme song during grand finals.

I'M JUST SAYING.
Pound 5? I was honored to be part of that legendary moment

Landry

Smash Ace
The whole idea of badges and RPing as Gym Leaders is so ****ing moronic I don't even know where to start. Not to be that guy, but is this what we really want to broadcast about our community? It's possibly the most childish thing we could do.

I like the idea of regional ranking and all of that. I think it's great motivation for players to improve, blah blah blah. But a ****ing Pokemon roleplay system is exactly what we don't need to motivate people.

I know its kinda funny to speculate about who would be what, yaddah yaddah etc, but it's still a horrible idea. If you want to make analogies from Pokemon to Smash please just do it in your head. You can be the very best and all that, just keep it to yourself.

There's no reason that we need to roleplay a Pokemon competition if Melee is still giving us legitimate competition. Mango, Armada, PP, HBox and M2K are not going to carry around a bunch of badges to hand out... It's just not practical or remotely necessary.

Can we please keep the nerd circle-jerking to a minimum. Let's remember that we're playing an 11 year old game and the best way to improve our community is by becoming more professional, not less. The stereotype that this Pokemon Gym idea puts forth is a huge part of the reason we're not taken as seriously as we'd like to be.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
if you cant shake the concept of pokemon away from the analogy being made i cant really help you there. so far the general consensus seems like it's going towards a modified power ranking with tiers, with different risk/reward levels for each tier on the list so that those on it are also invested in the list (as on the miom stream they said once players make power rankings they were less interested in them, there wasnt much to gain or lose so it felt like w/e)

the system won't affect much people coming in considering they wont even know the system is in operation until they're into smash, esp since the whole thing is just a modified power ranking. and if they're honestly interested in smash after playing with their region for a bit, something as small as this wouldn't really deter them from playing more

wasnt trying to condescend, just thought it was funny how you thought pokemon was too childish for a game that literally features pokemon
I play Pokemon, but the childish part is trying to live it out through melee. Just stick with power rankings, everything else is really lame and unnecessary.

And don't say its a different system thqt gives players incentive to get better or whatever, it's just you wanting to add an rpg element to smash tourneys.

:phone:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
What is so childish about having an extra position for your hardwork? The real kids are the ones that aren't open to new ideas that work. We play a game that has Pokemons in it and you say it's childish? The **** man. lol.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Nothing wrong with embracing the child within us, jiv. I think we just want a reward other than money. I really think the community needs this. 'Oh stick to pr' Did you listen to Scar? Once he made the pr, he didn't even think about it. For that reason, we shouldn't stick to pr.

Plus this can give hype too. Maybe some will like the rpg aspect too. What is wrong with that.

If you disagree, why don't you stick to pr. We on the otherhand, can go ahead and play around with this.

Landry

Smash Ace
Look guys, I think we can all agree that Pokemon is cool. Red/Blue is still like my favorite game ever. Still, this is a bad idea. If we can't get "motivated" or whatever people think this will do without RPing as Pokemon trainers then our community is already lost and we might as well move on. We can't accept that. We can design a better PR system to reward players for trying hard and winning against challenging competitors. Still, this Pokemon thing is toxic. It's bound to do way more harm than good.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Look guys, I think we can all agree that Pokemon is cool. Red/Blue is still like my favorite game ever. Still, this is a bad idea. If we can't get "motivated" or whatever people think this will do without RPing as Pokemon trainers then our community is already lost and we might as well move on. We can't accept that. We can design a better PR system to reward players for trying hard and winning against challenging competitors. Still, this Pokemon thing is toxic. It's bound to do way more harm than good.
That's what they think they're doing lol

Kage had in his sig on gamefaqs "YEAH THE SLAYER OF MANGO" or something to that effect. I guess he wants a physical object and a position in the ssb world to comemmerate things like that too.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Landry, it would help our community to be more professional, but I feel focusing on our image will make us fake. I don't think that is the best approach. We shouldn't care about what people think of us. We should just be us. Badge system can do that. And we shouldn't be afraid to try.

That would make us careful, boring, and whimpy. Us becoming that, is wack.

weon - X

Smash Ace
I want to know why this would damage our community so much. If there's something I'm missing please enlighten me

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Ranmaru, you are so jaded about your community it's kinda sad. Just bc youre a certain kind of person who enjoys certain things doesn't mean everybody else is comfortable with it. There's nothing "fake" about becoming more professional and growing.

And weon x, refer to the post above you haha

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
It is fake of us to try to be something we are not. Better we be ourselves, enjoy the game, and grow that way. (Basically, who cares what others think if we take on the badge system)

Landry

Smash Ace
I want to know why this would damage our community so much. If there's something I'm missing please enlighten me
1. This would pretty much destroy what little standing we have left within the mainstream FGC. Making our game seem more childish is absolutely the last thing we need.

2. It would make our game more inaccessible for newcomers. One of the best parts of our community is that any player can come in and succeed as long as they play well. This would make it a lot more complicated and would really turn off a lot of newcomers as well as some casual players who are already slightly interested in Melee.

3. A good portion of our community would ignore this whole thing anyway. Do you really think everyone will buy in to this Pokemon RP? I doubt it. I hate to say it, but top players (PP, Mango, Armada, HBox, M2K, etc) don't need more motivation to play. If you think they're gonna carry around a bunch of ****ty badges then you're ****ing crazy.

4. We don't need this. It would make us look bad just because its a really bad, nerdy version of a real PR system. If we bring back emphasis to regional, national and international power rankings then this whole thing is unnecessary anyway.

5. It makes winning about material gain. I don't know how you guys feel, but for the most part I think that players should be trying to win matchups just to be the best. You don't want to beat M2K to get a stupid badge, you want to beat him to say you've beat M2K and improve your renown. It's about winning, nothing else.

6. idk, probably forgot some more stuff

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Power rankings aren't a good enough impetus. Money isn't a good enough impetus (hi splitting). Pride is the only impetus that time and time again proves to be infallible. I think the badge system is just a placeholder, because physical objects (look at the Genesis Trophies) definitely count for more. SF majors, first place gets money, they get arcade sticks (which they usually sell), trophies, etc. etc.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
^which is why let's have a low amount of badges and when you accept a challenge you put that **** on the line. I think the rules are getting out of hand...the **** is up with gatekeepers and 6 character battles and 2 stock leads and point systems. It's just PRs all over again.

No one is going to make 20 badges to hand out in order to stroke egos. 1 badge, you lose you give it up. I mean these really have no purpose other than to keep you on guard and want to hold that badge. If I were a "gym leader" I honestly would not care about making sure some people can't have a useless badge, but if someone were going to take that badge away from me, the one I took from another great player...god damn they're not touching my badge.

5. It makes winning about material gain. I don't know how you guys feel, but for the most part I think that players should be trying to win matchups just to be the best. You don't want to beat M2K to get a stupid badge, you want to beat him to say you've beat M2K and improve your renown. It's about winning, nothing else.
I agree with what your saying because the idea has gotten pretty convuluted...but it's original purpose was to make it so you can have a serious match with someone like M2K who will be held accountable for losing instead of saying he wasn't trying or it was just friendlies. Right now the only other option is MMs and no one really gives a **** about 1$ MMs, on the other hand no one accepts 20$ MMs. Scar was going to have a PR title fight where if you lose, you lose your placing to make sure you try and make a hype set but Cactuar( or Sheridan) said then it's no longer a ranking based on skill if you can just bet on it. The badge idea was to circumvent that.

I love the badge idea and regions can have as many badge carriers as they want (let's stop calling them gym leaders.) but if your just having them so people can start a badge collection...and get points to travel and challenge other leaders...after they become a gatekeeper in their own region..so that they can become a leader if they get enough badges...I'm ****ing lost. At this point I'd rather just have regional champions belt, but belts are big and hard to carry around, should be something small...like a pin...or a...badge:awesome:

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I think pride is the primary motivator for splitting / sandbagging actually, but thats a discussion for another thread.

You guys should let this idea be fully fleshed out before shooting it down. Contributing is much more valuable than criticizing, at this point.

V-K

Smash Ace
I like the idea of ranking tournament players into B, A, A+ and S categories. It would be much easier to evaluate someone's skill, if he beats for example an A+ player then he obviously automatically becomes an A+ player as well.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
1. This would pretty much destroy what little standing we have left within the mainstream FGC. Making our game seem more childish is absolutely the last thing we need.

2. It would make our game more inaccessible for newcomers. One of the best parts of our community is that any player can come in and succeed as long as they play well. This would make it a lot more complicated and would really turn off a lot of newcomers as well as some casual players who are already slightly interested in Melee.

4. We don't need this. It would make us look bad just because its a really bad, nerdy version of a real PR system. If we bring back emphasis to regional, national and international power rankings then this whole thing is unnecessary anyway.

1) You mean that community that thinks our game is a huge joke and on a majority already has 0-little respect for us? Yeah we should care about them and not just do our own thing.

2) How does a PR you think would be better in place of this not already create this problem?

4) It sounds like you already think we have this problem. I'm sorry you're not feeling manly and hip enough in your real life by playing Super Smash Brothers Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube. If you don't find it fun then don't care or participate in this. Literally nothing would change for you except that you'd be angry a bunch of smashers liked pokemon and had a nifty idea. Unless you're given a badge then you don't need to challenge anyone.

5) These are symbols of pride. So is a PR. The point of this is to get away from material gain.

6) Stop posting now thanks

(I also agree with TCB about pride)

Landry

Smash Ace
1) You mean that community that thinks our game is a huge joke and on a majority already has 0-little respect for us? Yeah we should care about them and not just do our own thing.

2) How does a PR you think would be better in place of this not already create this problem?

4) It sounds like you already think we have this problem. I'm sorry you're not feeling manly and hip enough in your real life by playing Super Smash Brothers Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube. If you don't find it fun then don't care or participate in this. Literally nothing would change for you except that you'd be angry a bunch of smashers liked pokemon and had a nifty idea. Unless you're given a badge then you don't need to challenge anyone.

5) These are symbols of pride. So is a PR. The point of this is to get away from material gain.

6) Stop posting now thanks

(I also agree with TCB about pride)
I just want to clarify that I wouldn't really be upset if this idea went through. I've always wished I was ****ing Pokemon trainer. I thinking having badges is a cool idea, but it actually goes against what we're trying to accomplish (making everyone try hard/be better). I could be wrong, but I think the badge idea is counterproductive. Trophies and stuff, that might be one thing.

The thing about a badge is that in most systems I can think of all the badges that go to one large tournament would go the tourney winner. Eventually everyone would lose to some who would eventually lose to whoever gets #1. It could be done in different ways, but I think no matter what it would be flawed. People would try to hoard badges and **** like that which would sort of ruin the idea anyway.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
We're playing a party game that has a target audience younger than the game itself.

If you're worried about people taking you seriously this is probably the wrong game to play

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Guys, let's not embarrass ourselves by comparing ourselves to Pokemon trainers. We need professionalism and to not be seen as weird kids in a small community.

But you can't see my Princess Peach tho. I'll beat your Pikachu for free.

V-K

Smash Ace
You think if you walk into a bar and say you beat M2K anyone is gonna believe you? They will laugh at you.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Why don't we do an incentives program for future APEX events or something with this

I think literal badges are goofy, but what about awarding certain things for how many different regional tournaments you've won?

Have regional leaders be determined by placement at nationals + their PR and then award points to OOR players who beat them and outplace them at the tournament

You beat say 4-5 regional leaders in tournament and outplace them (different ones)

You get a bye into R3 pools

You beat say 6+ regional leaders in tournament and outplace them (different ones, once again)

You get a bye into bracket

etc, etc

Top Bottom