• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiered Rankings / Gym Leader / Player Recognition Ideas

Landry

Smash Ace
You think if you walk into a bar and say you beat M2K anyone is gonna believe you? They will laugh at you.
Right, cause people in a bar will definitely know what Im even talking about.

But Im sure showing them my badge will be really impressive.

:phone:

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
We're playing a party game that has a target audience younger than the game itself.

If you're worried about people taking you seriously this is probably the wrong game to play
I play this game because I ****ing like it, no other reason. I get that you like doing nerdy *** stuff and being a loser, but I find it infuriating that you would tell people to stay away from the community because you have this little stupid fantasy about making real life like a video game.

Just get yourself a sticker or something if you really need a representation of your winnings that badly.

Also, Prog is an idiot.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Why don't we do an incentives program for future APEX events or something with this

I think literal badges are goofy, but what about awarding certain things for how many different regional tournaments you've won?

Have regional leaders be determined by placement at nationals + their PR and then award points to OOR players who beat them and outplace them at the tournament

You beat say 4-5 regional leaders in tournament and outplace them (different ones)

You get a bye into R3 pools

You beat say 6+ regional leaders in tournament and outplace them (different ones, once again)

You get a bye into bracket

etc, etc
This is a great idea. See guys, this is something that would serve as an IMPETUS without being gay as ****.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Guys, let's not embarrass ourselves by comparing ourselves to Pokemon trainers. We need professionalism and to not be seen as weird kids in a small community.
We don't need professionalism. We need to focus on the quality of the experience.

Underlined, that is why I feel that's just fake. Why try to 'seem nice' for others? **** that.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
People want to "seem nice" because they want the community to grow. You might have fun doing what you're thinking of, but I'm willing to bet most others would rather have a more serious community with lots of players than a silly one with just a few.

Let me guess, you were (are?) one of those kids in high school with only a couple of friends who is really weird and nerdy that tells yourself "I don't need other people, I have fun!" if so, your posts make a lot of sense.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
can we not zero in on whether the pokemon aspect is appropriate or not? it's more important to flesh out the mechanics of the system like kk and bob$ have been trying to, whether or not it draws connections with pokemon

and jiv im glad youre trying your best to be constructive about your concern (and i understand it is a genuine concern) but you can do less with being an ******* about it

edit also
And don't say its a different system thqt gives players incentive to get better or whatever, it's just you wanting to add an rpg element to smash tourneys.
it's less about 'rpg element' and more about genuine reward for improving/being at the top. kk and bob$ kind of covered it already

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Haha I reread that last page and I was kinda goin in. My bad.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yeah I'm going to find some mods to do some work. I feel like we need an actual productive discussion section on the boards where being unhelpful is not allowed. As it is the boards are not a safe space for throwing around ideas.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Why is it unbeneficial to hear other sides on this? Yeah I was a bit enthusiastic about what I thought, but you don't have to get your feelings hurt bc not everybody likes the idea.

joY

Pot splitter
I get that you like doing nerdy *** stuff and being a loser.

Also, Prog is an idiot.
See guys, this is something that would serve as an IMPETUS without being gay as ****.
Let me guess, you were (are?) one of those kids in high school with only a couple of friends who is really weird and nerdy that tells yourself "I don't need other people, I have fun!" if so, your posts make a lot of sense.
I'm just going to guess this is what Scar is talking about. Just a guess.

Yeah I'm going to find some mods to do some work. I feel like we need an actual productive discussion section on the boards where being unhelpful is not allowed.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
i think it's not so much feelings getting hurt as it is the pointlessness of many of the posts

this includes some of the random pokemon hype posts, not just you Jiv ~_~

besides the discussion isn't about pokemon, its about fleshing out the mechanics of something akin to power rankings etc.

Sox

Smash Journeyman
I like the physical badges idea. I'm picturing a tennis challenge ladder match in order to get one. for example, if there were regional "gym leaders" i could post somewhere, probably the boards/maybe on Facebook if its agreed upon, and challange a regional leader; let's say Hax cuz im on the east coast. After I challenge him, he can either accept or decline. If he accepts he could say "let's play at TournyX" , or he could be like "monday at my place" or something, as long as its agreed upon. if I beat him, i get a badge. If i don't, I can challenge him again in like 2 weeks or something. designated tournaments could determine who holds these badges, and has the authority to give them out. I dunno, i like the idea and it could motivate people for sure.

JustBlind

Smash Rookie
as long as no one sings the entire pokemon theme song on stream during finals again, do w/e to get more people into the game

S l o X

Smash Champion
subscribed.

what ideas are actually running through your head about player recognition besides 'badges', scar/prog?

Bones0

Smash Legend
This is sort of unrelated, but it'd be cool to give out 25 tokens/badges/whatevers at Apex that have GPS tracking in them. You would give them to active players that got knocked out of round 1 pools, and then they go back home to their respective regions. If they lose to someone in tourney, they have to give up the badge to them, but a badge can only change hands once per tourney. After a few months, we could look at a map to see how far they might have traveled because of players traveling and winning/losing them. Ideally, the experiment would end with all the badges among players in the top 25 in the world. I know it's not really feasible since we don't have GPS trackers or anything, but I just thought it was a cool idea. lol

I do remember something similar to this, but I only ever read about it. I believe old school tournaments used to have the Burger King crowns, and someone could challenge you to a crown match and if they win, they get the crown. Then you just have a long chain of people challenging the crown holder in hopes of winning it. I remember M2K wearing it in that video where he talks about frame data. lol

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
a better idea would be to have badges on the smashboards accounts, so like under your avatar people can see all your accomplishments

V-K

Smash Ace
What are everyone's thoughts on ELO ratings?
I think such a complex rating system requires a lot of work of someone who constantly needs to adjust the rating for all players (unless you have some kind of computer program that analyses tournament results).

I still like the idea of a bit more simplified system like the 4-category-system of which the top category only consists of the top 5 or so player in the world and the bottom category has every tournament player that never won anything.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Gyms should have a separate division with gym trainers under a gym leader.
Like a gym of technical players with SilentFox or Mew2King as the gym leader.
Another of tech-chasers filled with Sheiks and Falcons.
A spacies gym.
A floaties gym.
Campers.
Gimpers.
Mindgames.
Adapters.
Bam! 8 gyms! Maybe have a Youngster Joey with a ratata(low-tier) in each. lolol
Mew2King, Mango, Dr. PP, and Hungrybox for Elite 4

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
V-K: ELO ratings is calculated via a formula with tournament brackets, each match increases/lowers the rating of the winner/loser based in the difference between their ratings.

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
I've been really wanting to get into smash, I watch matches and learn stuff about it all the time. And I've been thinking about driving to tourneys and stuff to get into the community.

This thread is my turning point. I really don't want to be a part of a group of people so childish and weird. Not that my opinion matters or that I'm an important person or anything, but take into consideration other people like me who are interested in the game that also may be turned away by this stupid, juvenile bull ****.

Yeah Guys.

IT'S REALLY CHILDISH TO INCORPORATE POKEMON INTO THIS. I MEAN COME ON, I'M TRYING REALLY HARD TO PLAY AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD GAME COMPETITIVELY, BUT THIS IS JUST THE NAIL IN THE COFFIN.

LOL.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Guys.

IT'S REALLY CHILDISH TO INCORPORATE POKEMON INTO THIS. I MEAN COME ON, I'M TRYING REALLY HARD TO PLAY AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD GAME COMPETITIVELY, BUT THIS IS JUST THE NAIL IN THE COFFIN.

LOL.
You seem to be upset.

You all have such hurt feelings over this lol. I'm just saying its dumb as hell that you guys can't enjoy the game without incorporating some stupid unnecessary stuff, that will make normal people not want to start up bc of the ridiculousness.

That fool wanted to put gps in the badges I mean wtf you can't tell me **** like that that won't scare people away

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You seem to be upset.

You all have such hurt feelings over this lol. I'm just saying its dumb as hell that you guys can't enjoy the game without incorporating some stupid unnecessary stuff, that will make normal people not want to start up bc of the ridiculousness.

That fool wanted to put gps in the badges I mean wtf you can't tell me **** like that that won't scare people away
What's so scary about wearing an accessory? It doesn't necessarily have to be badges but it can be something equivalent. I mean if you don't want pokemon things where we do play a game that has pokemons in it then.. we can just as well change the name "Badges" or "Gym Leaders" to other titles that mean exactly the same. It's an extra title where you can look forward to and added challenges to events to make them more exciting. We have been playing for a LONG time so at this point it's very important to mix things up to get new people to play. There's nothing weird or scary about this.. lol.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Could we please move on from all this gym leader stuff. We really wanted to focus on the Tiered Rankings to help define where players stand. The gymleader/badges/etc idea was just a spur of the moment, whatif line of thought, and not really a serious one at that. You guys need to relax. >.>

We'd really like to know what people think about instating the tiers as the new form of the PR. The intention isn't to necessarily rank every individual in every tier, but to give players a solid view of their current position and where they can move up to.

To recap: Our current view on the player tiers are:

S - This is basically World Class, top level players. Think Armada/Mango/PP/Hbox.

A+ - This is a tier for players who not only dominate their own regions, but are also legitimate threats to the S tier, where beating an S tier player wouldn't be an upset, but would still be relatively unexpected. Players who are vying for S class. M2K is probably the top of A+.

A - Players who are at the top of their regions, place in the top 16-32 at nationals. Beating an S player would be an upset, A+ would be unexpected.

B - Players who are contending for the placings just below the A+/A players consistently at locals/regionals.

Unranked - Everyone else.

Top Bottom