• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
If Melee purists are going to be mad, and invulnerability is changing. Either that means everyone can do an invincible ledgedash/its a lot easier to, or no one can. xP

Loli Bacon

Smash Rookie
I'm not saying that it's too good - I'm saying that it just shouldn't be a thing at all. I think that we can all agree, more or less, that regardless of the strength of the strategy, it's not something that's fun to watch or to play against.
Since when has the fun factor for the opponent ever meant anything?

- "Combos aren't fun to be in"
Combos are fun to do, however.

- "Kirbyciding isn't fun to play against"
It's fun to do, however. It's not good, so learn how to deal with it or stay bad. Who cares what spectators want to see, they aren't the ones competing.

Last edited:

Mikarugi

Smash Rookie

It's fun to do, however. It's not good, so learn how to deal with it or stay bad. Who cares what spectators want to see, they aren't the ones competing.
What the spectators want to see is actually very important if you want to competitive side of PM to grow, it's one of the main reasons Brawl's competitive scene isn't as large as Melee, Brawl is very boring to watch.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
But d3/wario/ganon ciding is okay? smh
Edit: this post makes more sense if you read previous pages

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ganonciding is awesome. Wuchu talking bout.

Kirbyciding is pretty stupid against those who don't know how to counter it. One time for lolz I switched to Kirby against someone I usually lose to, I Kirbycided all 4 of our stocks. xD

Loli Bacon

Smash Rookie
What the spectators want to see is actually very important if you want to competitive side of PM to grow, it's one of the main reasons Brawl's competitive scene isn't as large as Melee, Brawl is very boring to watch.
Actually, Brawl's competitive scene wasn't as large as melee because less people played it, and that's not because it's less fun to watch. It was less fun to play. Before people were actively streaming melee, people were still showing up to melee tournaments because they wanted to. People looked up and brought together their own competitive scene because it interested them. Nowadays people primarily get introduced via streams and tournaments but honestly the same premise applies; if a player truly wants to get into the game, they'll do it.

It's like someone saying "I want to learn the piano."; if you really wanted to, you would have started already.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Ganonciding is awesome. Wuchu talking bout.

Kirbyciding is pretty stupid against those who don't know how to counter it. One time for lolz I switched to Kirby against someone I usually lose to, I Kirbycided all 4 of our stocks. xD
I agree, all of the moves are fine im just surprised everyone only looks at Kirby cuz 1 guy can somehow pull that off consistently in tourmanemt. Thats why earlier i sorta compared it to Falcon Punch, if somehow someone could always pull that off in tourney im sure people would want that move nerfed too not knowing how bad and punishable the move actually is lol. Not saying its as bad as FP its an exaggerated example, but it falls into the same boat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Part of the problem with kirby inhale is that he has a large amount of mobility during it, he has some armor frames iirc, and the angle of which he spits people out is REALLY REALLY good. When DDD spits people out offstage for example they go straight out, but kirby throws them down at a really easy angle to nair them or w/e.

Ganon ciding... well ganon is ganon, and I haven't ever seen a wario even attempt to "wario-cide"

Loli Bacon

Smash Rookie
Part of the problem with kirby inhale is that he has a large amount of mobility during it, he has some armor frames iirc, and the angle of which he spits people out is REALLY REALLY good. When DDD spits people out offstage for example they go straight out, but kirby throws them down at a really easy angle to nair them or w/e.

Ganon ciding... well ganon is ganon, and I haven't ever seen a wario even attempt to "wario-cide"
It's a shame Kirby can't suicide with fthrow and bthrow anymore. Then we'd have some real complaints, wouldn't we? :v

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Kirby might have the best of the 4 but tbh its not that much better, and its normal grab armor like every other grab in the game not super armor or anything like that, getting rid of that im okay with tho, also having mashing out shoot you upwards from Kirby is also fine. Im just really talking to the people who think Inhale in general should totally be nerfed to ****

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I agree, all of the moves are fine im just surprised everyone only looks at Kirby cuz 1 guy can somehow pull that off consistently in tourmanemt. Thats why earlier i sorta compared it to Falcon Punch, if somehow someone could always pull that off in tourney im sure people would want that move nerfed too not knowing how bad and punishable the move actually is lol. Not saying its as bad as FP its an exaggerated example, but it falls into the same boat.
Falcon needs more combos that finish into Falcon Punch. Best finisher ever lol.

D

Deleted member

It's a LOT better than the rest of them. Kirbys inhale is so insane that it IS kirbys entire game. The only good kirby is chudat because he abuses it so well.

It reminds me of ness. Suuuuuuuuure ness has all of these fancy DJC things and tons of useful aggression options... but do you know why Awestin is good? PK fire over centralizes the character, it is so much better than all of his other things. Same thing with kirbys ledge inhale camping.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Its clear that kirby's inhale is better than all the suicide moves, it has very little endlag and kirby's recovery is good enough that he can come back from far away

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
They can get rid of Kirbyciding idc, people just need to know that not the only use for inhale, so nerfing that move completely would make it terribad. It only looks that much better because you've seen it more than the others. People just need to mash out when they're on stage, you come out of it pretty damn quickly and when offstage dont mash you trade stocks if your recovery doesnt suck. D3 and Ganon would force a stock trade, and possibly Wario if its not a character with good recovery in this game of Project Recovery. On top of that, being punishable as hell.

Its like, if people complained a lot about shine-spiking and said that the move should send them upwards like Falco or came out slower or something... im sure a lot of people would flip out knowing shine-spiking isnt the only use for his shine.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
What if Kirby just insta transformed when he sucks up an opponent?

Is that even possible?
Im sure it is but that would make inhale completely useless onstage... like without kirbyciding that everyone thinks is the only use for inhale. Im sure everyones mind is blown trying to comprehend that lmao.

Last edited:

Gust14

Smash Apprentice
Imo infinity combos (chain grabs, locks, grab releases etc...) as well as spammable moves are NOT fun to watch, or to receive and when you do them you feel as cheap as roxxanne putting on the red light...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
its a good thing we do have locks and chain grabs though, otherwise we would just have brawl type throws.

Gust14

Smash Apprentice
its a good thing we do have locks and chain grabs though, otherwise we would just have brawl type throws.
Yeah I dont mind those (in fact, i like them). Just the infinite ones i dont like, thats why i said inifinty combos

Last edited:

Mikarugi

Smash Rookie
Actually, Brawl's competitive scene wasn't as large as melee because less people played it, and that's not because it's less fun to watch. It was less fun to play. Before people were actively streaming melee, people were still showing up to melee tournaments because they wanted to. People looked up and brought together their own competitive scene because it interested them. Nowadays people primarily get introduced via streams and tournaments but honestly the same premise applies; if a player truly wants to get into the game, they'll do it.

It's like someone saying "I want to learn the piano."; if you really wanted to, you would have started already.
that's why I said ONE of the main reasons, not THE main reason. Trust me when I say that if brawl was more enjoyable to watch you'd see a lot more people playing it. This is because "fun to play" is subjective, not a fact. Many people prefer brawl and some may not even know they do because it's so BORING to watch. Even before streams, people most likely showed up to those tournaments not only to play the game they love but to watch the high level play from the others. A game being viewer friendly is pretty important to it's competitive scene. I'm not saying you're wrong, not at all, you are very much correct, but viewers are just more important than you may think.

didds

Smash Lord
Squirtle imo is nothing more then a gimmicky character.
Couple of gimmicks sure, but he can be played extremely solidly without them and do well. If he was only gimmicks then he would always get destroyed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't underestimate the neutral game, which is something that Squirtle has arguably the best of.

didds

Smash Lord
If they really were that strong, they'd be getting at least a few placings. Chances are they're all mid at best.
If cigarettes were really that bad, they'd be illegal. Chances are they're slightly harmful at best.

sorry dub post

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Snake isn't top tier. Having a losing MU spread of like 40% of the cast aren't the traits of a top tier character.

Many characters would be higher on a tier list then Snake despite them not having the tourney results to back it up. Which is mostly due to the players themselves who play them not being good enough imo
Yes sir Mr. Pro. But if Snake is bad, how are you beating Armada, reverse 3-0ing M2K, etc?

Not trying to say you're bad (you're a god in my book) but Snake's general character design definitely helped out. You were the first to beat Armada's Pit at that. People consider Pit to be OP. I think Snake is definitely top tier. Lose to low tiers fine. But no one uses low tiers in tourney because they get wrecked by other top and high tiers.

Last edited:

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see a nerf Mario buff Luigi patch. I don't see how its fair that Fox and Falco being clones top tier, yet Luigi and Mario being clones not in the same or even close tier

Yes sir Mr. Pro. But if Snake is bad, how are you beating Armada, reverse 3-0ing M2K, etc?

Not trying to say you're bad (you're a god in my book) but Snake's general character design definitely helped out. You were the first to beat Armada's Pit at that. People consider Pit to be OP. I think Snake is definitely top tier. Lose to low tiers fine. But no one uses low tiers in tourney because they get wrecked by other top and high tiers.
PM is all about knowing matchups, you can lose to the scrubbiest player because they pick a character you've never played against. I think Armada lost not because Snake is top tier, but because he didn't know all the ins and outs of the matchup (like ChuDat beating Armada).

Last edited:

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Everyone is underestimating luigi, you dont know how much I suffer.

Bleck

Smash Master

Smash is also the only fighting game where you have significant ability to disrupt combos. This is why it's better than other fighting games - because it's supposed to function in such a way where your opponent can do skillful things against you, but you're rarely (supposed) to be in a position where you're incapable of responding to anything that they can possibly do.

So you admit that it's not fun to play against, and that nobody likes watching it, and that it's not a good strategy anyway (thereby implying that Kirby players won't really miss it). This means that everybody is happy if it gets changed, but you still think it shouldn't be because... 'git gud, hur'?

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Basically, kirbyciding isnt that op or too good, you just have to learn how to counter it. And why do you think loli bacon is implying that? Didnt he just say that its fun to do? Ofcourse people will miss it.

The whole point of this conversation is that kirby's inhale is not op (even while still being significantly better than all suicide moves)

Vashimus

Smash Master
Smash isn't even the best fighting game of its era. If you find yourself rarely capable of dealing with the opponent's offensive options, you really should work on learning proper defense.

Bleck

Smash Master
Basically, kirbyciding isnt that op or too good
It has been noted several times that the complaint being made is that not that it's overpowered. The complaint has nothing to do with whether or not it's overpowered. The complaint has nothing to do with whether or not it's overpowered.

The complaint has nothing to do with whether or not it's overpowered.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I don't think Squirtle is gimmicky, only bad Squirtles are. He has much better options than SideB, which should only really be used for punishing. withdraw in neutral accomplishes nothing and is more likely to put Squirtle in a bad position.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
The problem with Kirbycide lies 100% in the fact that he has so much aerial manueverability after grabbing you. To Ganoncide or Dededecide, you have to go off stage for the scoop (and with Ganon, if you miss, you're dead). Kirby, however, can do it onstage as long as he's remotely near the edge for almost no risk, and if he lands it it's a free kill that he can usually even come back from. With that completely broken risk / reward balance of course Kirbies are going to spam that to no end.

He needs to go back to having virtually no aerial mobility after doing it, so he'd have to go offstage with it to grab you. That would be fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom