• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
"but it's not fully representative!" yeah even in-game it still sticks out way past the width of the shadow claw effects, go look at emu vs. armada

also, the actual opinion of the person who won SKTAR might hold some importance:

Mewtwo has no bad matchups, only hard matchups.

His weakness is reaching the blastzone, since he can recover from almost any location on any stage and can freely sweet spot the ledge with an angled down up-B.

So his hard matchups are versus characters that hit hard, especially characters that have hard hitting moves which send mewtwo vertically. In the end though, Mewtwo has the tools to avoid getting hit, gimp, and deal damage especially to fast fallers.

So while roy, fox, pikachu, ganon, falcon, snake all have the potential to kill mewtwo relatively early, in the end you just have to work to not get hit. But they aren't bad matchups.

Last edited:

Cassio

Smash Master
I see where hes coming from, but I find it funny that pika is supposed to be a 'hard MU'.
"I'm glad something is possibly lame and toxic. I want it to stay so I can be cheesy! I HATE THIS GAME LET ME PROVE HOW BAD IT IS BY WINNING WITH M2!" - Cassio 20XX
Boy u crazy. I like winning and pika is bad.

Last edited:

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Can M2 be invincible forever from teleport stalling? Kinda like Sheik's stall except impossible to ramen noodle?

I'm asking about nerfs. Just trying to avoid having brawl ledge rules in pm.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Can M2 be invincible forever from teleport stalling? Kinda like Sheik's stall except impossible to ramen noodle?

It sure looked liked it.

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace

I play with a Mewtwo player and he's told me that it's fully invincible.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

It was fully invincible even in Melee, when it was way slower; of course it's fully invincible in PM.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Just give him the Ike/tether system where his upB fails to grab the ledge after x regrabs without landing.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
ike has a qd/walljump limit, which is what i think he was talking about?

edit: in after gunblaze's clarification. now i know : o

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
It can't be faster in P:M.
In Melee M2 had to drop off and jump using ledge invincibility to sweetspot the ledge. In PM he can doing it right from the ledge. Melee's is like WOOP, WOOP. PM goes WOOPWOOPWOOP

I'm pretty sure the ledge grab is still ramen noodles-able. You just gave to grab it as m2 has no hitboxes as he does it. EMU killer did the WOOP ramen noodles game 3 to M2k and stole ledge out of the stall.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I'm surprised M2K wasn't the one using the edge-stalling. That's his thunder after all.

A few characters can just chill at the edge and be at advantage, but being invincible is another thing. Also worth noting that if you grab edge off of MEwtwo you just go on stage so it isn't like a free stock or anything.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It doesn't lead to his survivability much. Mewtwo's floatiness and general recovering abilities are what let him get back safely. The combination of those 2 things is what gives his airspeed any impact basically

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Mewtwo is top tier at the moment, and honestly I think he needs to get nerfed hard. With his float and ridiculous tail pressure, I think he has an unfair advantage over the rest of the cast.

TheDuckChris

Smash Cadet
Roy is a solid mid tier similar to Ganondorf. Their dedicated players can easily contend with them and they have a lot of good options against most of the cast, with like one limiting feature that gives them flavour. Wario might fit here as well, and probably Sonic. Other mid tiers could be Ike, ROB, Ness, DK, maybe Tink as well.

I find it quite interesting to think about mid tiers and how they stack up rather than fuss over top/high tier placements. There's also some issues with underrepresentation: we have no idea of the potential of certain characters because no one solo mains them (ICs, Olimar, Pikachu, Peach, Luigi to some extent).

I also think the idea of "top tier" as we know it from melee almost doesn't exist in PM. In melee, fox/falco have so many extremely favourable matchups and the ones that are slightly unfavourable are entirely possible and are won by the spacies in tournament all the time. Whereas M2K can pick up Mewtwo and combo fast fallers to death without even knowing that much about the character, as we have seen. Granted it is M2K, but I think there really aren't as many characters that deserve top tier status as some people are suggesting.

I think with the variety of characters that PM brings, the most important factor in a player's game is consistency.
This is why we see players like K9 drop out of losers bracket to a random falco, and on the other hand its one of the reasons Mario is so popular. Mario has a lot of semi-safe options and a solid game plan including decent power, decent movement, decent stage control, and decent -> good recovery depending on the stage. This all adds up to make him one of the most consistent picks for a tournament. Similarly I think this is one reason that big characters like Zard don't get that much love: they're inconsistent because they have to adjust so much in different matchups (ZSS for example). Link is another really consistent character and he's gotten a lot of love for it too.

I'd like to see more discussion on Bowser (super armour) and DDD (crazy movement options).

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I know Ivy can only tether 3 times before getting back on stage to get more.
This applies to any character with a tether, even olimar's inconsistent, **** storm of disappointment, disguised as an recovery move.

Saproling

Smash Journeyman
This applies to any character with a tether, even olimar's inconsistent, **** storm of disappointment, disguised as an recovery move.
I figured but I wasn't completely sure so I didn't wanna say anything about other character's.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Other mid tiers could be ROB
Literally everyone

Also fox/falco don't have any unfavorable matchups in melee, unless you count each other, depending on who you ask, fox might beat Falco or vice-versa, or they might be perfectly even; either way at least one of them has no unfavorable matchups

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
How to beat spacies:

1. Pick Kirby
2. Camp ledge
3. Inhale them when they get close
4. Watch them be dumb and mash out and plummet do their death
5. Repeat
:troll::troll::troll:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think in addition to that, the fact that M2 weight is 97 also has something to do with it. :x For reference, I think his Melee weight was 85? @standardtoaster confirm?
It's true, Mewtwo weight got buffed. I thought he was 93 instead of 97, but he's basically def in the 90's now

Edit: I found this nugget on the wiki: "Mentioning Project M on any of Nintendo's Miiverse channels can trigger an automatic ban for discussing "criminal activity". This includes using the abbreviation "PM", which can result in erroneous bans when talking about other games or series with the same abbreviation (such as Paper Mario)."

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Any tier list after SKTAR is probably ****. Might as well name 90% of them "After-tourney flip flopping to look like you were correct before"

Real men stick with their guns and try to be right *before* the tourney

Last edited:

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Any tier list after SKTAR is probably ****. Might as well name 90% of them "After-tourney flip flopping to look like you were correct before"

Real men stick with their guns and try to be right *before* the tourney
So what do you think? lol For characters people might think will flip flop Im assuming will be samus and mewtwo. I think that mewtwo is fine where he is though and that Samus may need to move up a bit, but maybe just within that tier.
And if you didnt know my 'tier list' is in my signature.

Top Bottom