• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I have gotten people killed with both dair and uair they drop like rocks but Its become apparent I don't know exactly what they are.
After being meteor smashed, you have to wait 16 frames before you attempt to jump, or you lose the opportunity to do so and just fall straight down to your doom.

Of course, if you've already used your second jump, then the only thing you can do to recover at that point is Up B. You can feel free to mash that one, there's no penalty for doing so.

Saproling

Smash Journeyman
After being meteor smashed, you have to wait 16 frames before you attempt to jump, or you lose the opportunity to do so and just fall straight down to your doom.

Of course, if you've already used your second jump, then the only thing you can do to recover at that point is Up B. You can feel free to mash that one, there's no penalty for doing so.
Im aware of how meteors work for the most but thanks.I just play with a lot of friend's who have a lot to learn.
I have a lot to learn as well.

Last edited:

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman

8 frames, not 16

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
Yo guys the real problem is that spacies are obv. The worst in the game.

How about hitbox stays on shine and it has 10 frames invincibility?

B.W.

Smash Champion
I don't know anything about Olimar and I'd be a little surprised if anyone else does to be honest
He's my solo main, and I take on a fair share of good people at this game. Don't always win, but it's really not Olimar's fault I don't.

You can ask Oro, Rat, Scythe, (insert other Chicago player you care about here). Olimar's pretty good.

HaZarD2kv

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaZarD2kv
Guys, guys. You gotta see my Tink in action, it's good stuff. I play good players all the time with him and he is too good.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
16. This is PM, not Melee.
I've always hated this change. If you're good at meteor cancelling in Melee, "good" meaning fast enough to cancel between frames 9 and 15, you're punished for it in PM. That's why I and everyone else that plays Melee dies to Awestin's Ness dairs (and every other meteor, this was just the easiest example) 90% of the time. And the only solution is to slow your reaction speed down, which seems horribly counter-intuitive.

8 frames in Melee was fine, meteors are still good in that game for offstage positioning and edgeguarding, I never understood why PMBR felt this change was necessary.

/rant

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I've always hated this change. If you're good at meteor cancelling in Melee, "good" meaning fast enough to cancel between frames 9 and 15, you're punished for it in PM. That's why I and everyone else that plays Melee dies to Awestin's Ness dairs (and every other meteor, this was just the easiest example) 90% of the time. And the only solution is to slow your reaction speed down, which seems horribly counter-intuitive.

8 frames in Melee was fine, meteors are still good in that game for offstage positioning and edgeguarding, I never understood why PMBR felt this change was necessary.

/rant
I think it was intended to make meteors actually feel impactful. I can't count how many times I've been being combod by a mewtwo, and then I DI a Fair wrong and he does for a dair off stage, so i just eat it and Jump>shine then ledge hog and take the free stock.

Making the cancel window 16 frames instead of 8 frames buff meteors without having to increase their actual damage and knockback values.

Droß

Smash Apprentice

/rant
It sounds like they want the character to travel farther before being able to recover. A buff to meteors? Prevents free-gibs? I don't play melee so I don't know how it all maths out at high levels, but I doubt they changed it solely to piss melee vets off.

metroid1117

Smash Master

/rant
This change was implemented because in Melee, these is a fail-window in which if you input a jump or up+B within the 8 frames after getting meteor smashed, the input will not register and you will not meteor cancel. In PM, there is a fail window for jumping too early but not for up+B'ing too early, meaning that to meteor cancel, you can get away with mashing up+B repeatedly. In order to keep meteors potent in light of this, the window for meteor canceling was pushed back from 8 frames to 16 frames.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace

/rant
Watching a Ganon have to land like 3 dairs in a row to get the kill just seems silly to me. I think 16 frames is fine. It lets you meteor cancel a lot of stuff at low percents while allowing people to actually get kills off of meteor smashes at higher percents.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

/rant
This is amusing because many people argue that recoveries are too good in PM. The meteor canceling window being different is one of the few situations where edgeguarding is objectively more powerful than Melee.
Anyway, the main reason for it is that we are at this time unable to implement Melee's "fail window" so meteor canceling as a player that plays the game frequently is significantly easier than in Melee. We had to make Meteor Canceling less effective to compensate.

D

Deleted member

Wasn't it also that brawls meteor cancel window was 24 and 16 is right between 8 and 24?
If I'm wrong I'm sorry this is why I'm not pmbr :c

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I was going to post an updated version of my list soon, but it's basically just moving more people to mid.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Updated based on more experience and vids. As before, this is somewhat ordered within tiers, though I can't decide on a lot of the finer points of ordering:

High Tier:

:fox: :ivysaur::kirby2: :link2: :diddy::wolf: :mewtwopm::lucas::mario2:

Upper Mid Tier:

:sheik::metaknight: :peach: :sonic: :toonlink: :falco: :pit: :marth: :snake: :zelda: :squirtle: :rob:

Lower Mid Tier:

:zerosuitsamus: :ike: :wario: :yoshi2: :pikachu2::charizard: :lucario: :luigi2: :olimar::ness2::dk2:

Low Tier:

:samus2: :falcon: :dedede: :gw: :bowser2: :ganondorf: :roypm: :popo: :jigglypuff:

Thoughts on each tier:

High tier is the most difficult to order. I believe Fox and Ivy are clearly 1 and 2 - Fox is super fast and mobile and also packs huge power, and Ivy is to range what Fox is to speed with amazing recovery to boot. The rest of high tier could be in almost any order. In fact, that's how I choose the high tier cutoff, I originally had Shiek and MK there as well, but I feel they are clearly below those other characters, which probably means there's a tier separating them. All of the characters in the top tier perform very well in pretty much every matchup and have few to no significant weaknesses or bad matchups outside of their own tier.

The main thing separating upper mid tier from high tier is that matchups are more of a factor here. I have no doubt that the presence of Marth, Falco and MK in this tier will ruffle more than a few feathers, but all of them have issues with some of the new characters. In general, in Melee, if you did well against fast fallers, you were high tier, but in PM there's like 3 times more viable characters, so you need a lot more versatility to perform well against everyone, and Falco, Marth, and MK are not as versatile as Fox, Link and Kirby. Nothing else here should be a huge surprise, except maybe ROB, but I think he's very slept on. I also admit that I heavily underestimated Toon Link before, he's solid.

Lower mid consists of characters who generally have a couple holes in their game. Fox example, ZSS has huge range but huge startup on a lot of her moves, particularly her nearly useless grab. Wario is nicely mobile and has a good grab range, but he lacks disjoints and doesn't seem to get a lot of reward off his grabs. Charizard has big range on a few of his moves but isn't nearly as fast as Mewtwo and is massive combo bait. And so on. This tier is viable but you might need a secondary character for bad matchups. Incidentally, I moved Ness up to this tier, he's definitely not quite as bad as previously thought with his double jump cancels and solid throws, but he has issues with characters who are significantly fast or ranged (ie, most good characters).

Low tier generally consists of characters who are too one-dimensional to do well in a PM environment or have some other big issue. Probably the most controversial choice here is Samus, though I feel that she's kind of like a Ness but with inferior damage. Her keep-away is pretty slow and not all that powerful, and her close-range attacks don't seem to have quite enough oomph. I did move G&W up a bit, he's more versatile than a lot of these characters, he's just kind of janky in a bad way and most of his options feel a little weak. The Ice Climbers are really freaking bad now, they used to be characters who weren't great at neutral but hurt you so ludicrously bad if they ever got in that it didn't matter, but now their damage output has been completely butchered so they're just bad. They might even be worse than Puff, though Puff is really awful.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
You are underestimating Samus as well, she is a super solid character. She did decent against space animals in melee, and her tools aren't exclusive to fast fallers. She is a way better character in this game. Stop sleepin on Samus

Last edited:

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I would like to know why Kirby is so high, and Diddy is very close. I agree with a lot of the general positions, and would only make a few changes. Very cool to see.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
samus is terrible now that you can't isai drop with her.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I thought about making two lists, one actual tier list (I.e reflecting how the current meta is, which characters would have the least trouble winning a tournament) but I got bored after making my personal speculative one and decided not to make another. The results-based one would be pretty standard other than having a different bottom 5 or so from most other lists.

This is how I think the game would evolve if this current build was the final one. I normally do a **** load of work and make a huge write up but not feeling it tonight. If anyone wants my reasoning on particular positioning feel free to question me. Be warned that my answers will probably become more vague/general as you get toward mid tier, and then get stronger again as you go lower ( or higher).

Quick tidbit: I rated mobility and the ability to punish the opponent for shielding higher than pretty much everything else because I feel thats something that wasn't even present in other smash games (64 EXCLUDED) outsides of space animals and is in my opinion gamebreaking. The fact that characters with good shield pressure or stupid footstool set ups (Diddy, DJC characters, divekick/bootyslam characters) have another option to deal with shielding besides a grab is monstrous.

I just made this 5 min ago and I already think I put M2 slightly too low lmao. I want him in the same tier as yoshi/gnw/squirtle/wario, possibly even switching spots with squirtle.
My stances on this game change so fast >.>

Saproling

Smash Journeyman
I think Samus needs her nair and bair hit boxes to be bigger. Beam switch needs a lot of work its too janky and just doesn't really work well at all.And while charging her shot it would be cool if it did damage like Mewtwos or shined.Another idea my friend thought of is making her fully charged shot stun people like ZSS can if they are under 30%,But thats really debatable.

Some of these suggestions are really silly looking back at it,im a dumby.

Last edited:

HaZarD2kv

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaZarD2kv
Wait, I didn't know that, that is kind of sad Ripple. Was it put in that way on purpose or is it a flaw they have yet to figure out? I feel a tier list is too early but I guess this is why we are discussing the one CT made.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
its "on purpose" in that crawl has priority over dropping through platforms

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You are underestimating Samus as well, she is a super solid character. She did decent against space animals in melee, and her tools aren't exclusive to fast fallers. She is a way better character in this game. Stop sleepin on Samus
My main problem with Samus is that she's kind of one-dimensional. She's got good keep away, but that's about it, she can't shift between keep away and offense nearly as well as someone like Link or Toon Link, largely owing to her extreme floatiness, limited combo game, and lack of kill power on everything except charge shot. She also has problems with short characters, who can duck under some of her best moves and get in on her more easily.

I feel like Ice Beam is a great idea in terms of improving her, but it's not all that great at the moment, UpSmash is the only real standout move. I'd like to see Ice Fair turned into a meteor or spike if sweetspotted, I think it'd help a fair bit.

Everyone should just keep sleeping on everyone
I think you're sleeping on a lot of people in your list, particularly Link, Zelda, Sheik, Kirby, and Mewtwo.

I would like to know why Kirby is so high, and Diddy is very close. I agree with a lot of the general positions, and would only make a few changes. Very cool to see.
Kirby is just incredibly versatile and strong in almost every respect. He's got extremely solid pressure thanks to his Nair, Up B dash, and Dash Attack, he's the best character at performing the wall of pain, he has great edgeguarding ability while being nearly impossible to edgeguard himself, and he has surprisingly solid combos and kill power. Virtually every weakness he ever had in Melee is totally gone, and some things he has are even better than what he had in 64.

Diddy is a master of stage control, mobility, and pressure who has great combos and kills you at shockingly low percents thanks to crazy angles on some of his attacks. He's great at edgeguarding, and his own recovery is one of the safest in the game, because even if you hit him during his recovery the barrels will hit you, preventing most attempts at combo punishes.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I think you're sleeping on a lot of people in your list, particularly Link, Zelda, Sheik, Kirby, and Mewtwo.

"post"
Yeah I'll definitely address why I didn't put those 5 higher. First off I don't think that putting a character in mid-tier makes them bad. Link, kirby, Mewtwo and sheik are definitely characters that I think are solid and good characters. That being said, I didn't put them higher because I think the characters above them either do their "jobs" better or just have better/less polarizing matchups.

Link:
I put link as a solid mid tier because he is incredibly polarizing in his matchup spread. He utterly destroys characters that are larger, slower, or don't have the means or mobility to either combat his projectile wall or abuse openings and open him up. That said, he really falls apart against characters that have a pressure game, as he is slow himself and his best OoS option is still nair, which is a great move OoS in its own right, but is forced to deal with link's 6 frame jumpsquat. He also is a really good combo weight for most of the cast. While he wrecks some characters, he has trouble with smart play from characters with the potential to open him up. I personally value mobility and pressure options more, so I placed him around mid tier instead of a lot higher, as I feel the characters that do give link trouble also have a better game against the rest of the cast.

Mewtwo:
I think mewtwo is amazing, and his metagame will start skyrocketing once people start to optimize his punish game, his teleport game, and how stupid being able to Footstool > DJC nair people out of their shields is. He destroys fast fallers with his combo game. Why I didn't place him higher is because he still has the same struggles he did in melee. His punish game on non-fast fallers is very subpar, and aside from getting nice shadow claws off of a read or a set up (Footstool DJC fair works people) he doesn't have kill options on floaties. Like, he can kill with Fair, up-throw at higher percents, and smashes off of reads. He is a good character but still struggles from issues that have always plagued him.

Kirby:
I think you're overrating kirby. He doesn't have a pressure game persay, not like you're describing it. side-b isn't safe on shield and is very easy to react to and punish if kirby is throwing it out. Dash attack can't be shield grabbed, but that doesn't mean its not punishable by Wavedash OoS options or other OoS options. And Kirby's air speed (other than off of the immediate dash>jump, he is exactly average in that sense) isn't great enough for Nairing and landing behind sheilds to be effective or very telegraphed. I also completely disagree with the statement that he has the greatest Wall of Pain in the game. He doesn't have the drifting capacity or max air speed of Puff or Wario, nor the hitboxes of DDD, for him to even be a contender for the title of the best. He has a decent one, but just like it was in Melee its more of a "fence of pain" because its not as great. His edge guarding game is indeed quite strong and so is his combo game and his ability to chase and carry people off of the stage. He also is no where near impossible to edge guard. If he gets hit out of his up-b (vertical or horizontal) before it ends he loses all of his jumps, so he is forced to Up-b early and make it back on jumps with aerials (to maintain momentum), air dodges, and coming down with down-b. If he is in a situation where he has to recover low or parallel to the stage, he is at great risk of a projectile or a disjoint eating all of his jumps. He also just doesn't have the hitboxes or speed on his recovery needed to make it impossible to edge guard. I understand that it was hyperbole but imo it is no where near the level of free-ness that you make it out to be.
I do think that kirby is a great character as has tons of unique traits that make him stand out in a multitude of matchups. Also, the onlything holding him back from having the best techchacing down-throw in the game is his run speed. I just don't think that he is better than the characters placed above him.

Sheik:

Umbreon will probably completely hate me for this part but I don't think sheik should be placed as high as she was in melee, mostly due to the changes of the other characters. He dash dance is very lacking, her WD is decent, she doesn't have a good short hop height, and all of her approach options (other than grabs) are easily CC able. That said Sheik isn't a character that approaches. From what I understand of high level Sheik play she relies mostly on needles to take the neutral game and halt it, wracking up chip damage until her punish options aren't CC able. She also benifits a lot on people having to approach her and getting punishes that way. She shines in controlling the neutral game from a distance so to speak, and in her punish game being optimized to a high level, incorporating her good juggling, grab, and tech chase game. In PM, I think there are a multitude of characters that do these roles better. Good projectiles aren't so scarce as they once where. Other characters have better throws and mobility for a better tech chase game now. Characters have punish games that are only scratching the surface of what they could really do, and a lot of them (Lucario, lucas, Diddy, GnW, wolf, mario, mewtwo, to name a few) already look more solid in that regard than what we have for Sheik (and most of them have great projectiles as well). I think that the grab changes were an overall buff for her though, and while she misses the chaingrabs (Which would be so free on most of the PM cast oh god) having a DI mixup that lead to a fair or an upsmash is great. It has been said (by some high level melee shiek player, I think is was Kirby Kaze, don't quote me on that) that Shiek is probably the least developed high tier in Melee. I know she has really strong things like needle cancel >grabs on shields that go underutilized or at least unnoticed/commented on. I don't know how much further she can go though, and I feel other characters are already shining more.

Zelda:
Okay, zelda. I don't want to open up a can of worms again about zelda but I place her low for the same reason you placed samus low. I think she is horribly one dimensional and relies too much on people making the same mistake multiple times. Din's fire is not a legitimate tool in most matchups as simply jabbing or tilting them clanks and removes them, while Zelda doesn't have the mobility to move in and punish this action unless the opponent is already too close for said action to be safe. (MK being an exeption as only his DA can clank, so he has to suffer through the mine field) Once people get past the Fires and stop DIing her really slow throws incorrectly, she is a Melee zelda (spacing kicks, using her fast dsmash) with a few new (very legitimate) tricks and combo options. I just feel that while her actual punishing game is decent, she has good juggles and kill options, and good defensive options (land canceled neutral-b, up-bing away out of pressure), she lacks any sort of actual control of the match because Din's ( in my eyes) aren't a legitimate zone control tool in most situations, and her mobility is so lackluster she can't make the most of possible punishes, or get to that situation in the first place. I think she is a decent character that can still win a lot, I just think she is bland and one dimensional, and suffers from a lack of mobility that prevents her game from being anything other than what it is at first glance.

spoilers because I ended up writing a lot more than I thought I would.

Last edited:

Bryonato

Green Hat
Latest iteration of my list:

A:
Fox
Falco
MK
Sheik
Wolf
Diddy
Mario