• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

vidjogamer

Smash Master
LOL Diddy is really good. Top 10 material probably.

Squirtle is not bottom 6 lol. Hes probably high tier. Not broken, but a solid character.

I still think ROB is bottom 6.

How does everyone feel about snake?

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Snake is gud, good to frustrate people who rush and dont tech properly

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Squirtle doesn't do enough damage per exchange and doesn't move quickly enough outside of a wavedash to be a significant threat at high-level play, I feel. It comes primarily from his run speed being so awful; slinging yourself around via shellshift or positioning yourself for an ideal wavedash distance doesn't mean a lot when the opponent has the entire initial dash animation AND the movement option of choice to react to. High shorthop height isn't doing him any favors, either.

Maybe I'm missing something, but, why do you guys think Squirtle is a good character?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
how does snake fare against fox and falco
He does pretty good, he can gimp them both super hard at early % with C4 sticks (literally B-Throw, C4 detonation, and then jump out and Fair, works from like 0%-50% because they are in ridiculous stun and forced to Up B) and he can CG them on MULTIPLE stages because the height of the CG isn't that high either.

Plus with his Up B, they can't play there usual pressure game.

It's a MU you have to be experienced in to do good though, because the rush down traits of both character is hard to deal with in the beginning.

Snake is gud, good to frustrate people who rush and dont tech properly
??? Snake is still good regardless if people tech lol...I wouldn't say he flourishes in punishing people not teching.
I got some videos recorded yesterday which I should definitely be uploading today so people will get a further idea of Snake's potential.
I'll post them in the 'Top Players Character' thread since they wanted vids attached to the names.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Snake benefits from poor opponent DI like 10x more than poor teching, because he doesn't hunt down people in ridiculous tech chases. If your body is far away from Snake and you are floored from missing a tech, what's his option? Dash attack at you before you roll away? Maybe you get to keep Utilting in place if they flub it over and over LOL.

Squirtle varies heavily on whether he seems useful or not. In one MU, you hate your opponent for being Marth/Sheik, the next you're randomly doing pretty solid vs Falcon and DK because you're a weird little character to hit. Squirtle honestly feels playable after the 2.6 changes... I think what's helping him stay semi relevant is that his neutral game is relatively safe when it's not aggressive approaching. It's hard to blatantly overwhelm him.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Im not that of a good player, just sayin what I do (1st hit of f-tilt consecutively, then sticky and boom) its not that good, just do it for fun and annoying people basically

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Don't worry bro, have you heard about how I play Link? My flowchart is really simple and effective:

1. They are already offstage and I have started Upb

Actually that's not a flowchart, just how to win every bracket ever.

D

Deleted member

How does everyone feel about snake?

i still think he's mid-high ish. "good snake" can really throw you off until you have more experience with the match, but then as experience and fluidity builds it becomes much more reasonable to finesse around his play again. great char design though.

hi jesse.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I was just gonna post this in the Top players by character thread.
But since it actually has some relation to this thread and people's perception of the character, whether it be worse or better I decided to post them in here.

Me (Snake) vs Alpha Dash (Wario) - Project M 2.6 Bo7 Friendlies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-iZGrRLMl0

Me (Snake) vs The Lust (Charizard) - Project M 2.6 Friendlies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBrKYDXQ4fk

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
I feel that snake and diddy are both relatively unexplored but have great potential. I'm not gonna say OMG TOP 5 but I think there is more to those two matchup wise that hasn't been explored enough due to the lack of tournaments/players using them.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I feel that snake and diddy are both relatively unexplored but have great potential. I'm not gonna say OMG TOP 5 but I think there is more to those two matchup wise that hasn't been explored enough due to the lack of tournaments/players using them.
They're relatively unexplored to the general public, but I've personally been playing Snake since 2.1 and in multiple MU's so to me, the UK and people who follow Snake's progress he's pretty much explored as much as any of the other Project M characters imo

I think Snake has been a bit more explored than Diddy overall, since Diddy has barely had much representation.

This is the only thing imo that makes me question if Snake is top tier
:awesome: http://youtu.be/RBrKYDXQ4fk?t=19m14s :awesome:

CORY

wut
BRoomer

vidjogamer

Smash Master
I think Squirtles Up B should have the hitbox from 2.5. Every other change they made was reasonable. I also think he should be able to wall cling after his forward b.

I could see a shorter short hop on him. Honestly, the water gun just isnt that good of a projectile. Maybe if it cancelled upon landing or something.

Hes not as bad as you guys say. Hes at LEAST mid tier. What he needs are options against floaties. He doesnt have many kill options against them. Maybe buff the kb strength of his jump thing yout of the forward B?

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Squirtle doesn't do enough damage per exchange and doesn't move quickly enough outside of a wavedash to be a significant threat at high-level play, I feel. It comes primarily from his run speed being so awful; slinging yourself around via shellshift or positioning yourself for an ideal wavedash distance doesn't mean a lot when the opponent has the entire initial dash animation AND the movement option of choice to react to. High shorthop height isn't doing him any favors, either.

Maybe I'm missing something, but, why do you guys think Squirtle is a good character?
He doesn't really strike me as a good character, so much as a unique design that's hindered by that same unique design. His overall damage is low, but his speed doesn't quite make up for this. I think the somewhat lower speed is a product of being slippery and having quite a low traction. While being a good deal faster than Luigi in the air, ground speed is kind of sluggish outside wavedash, like you said.

With a little more power behind his hits, possibly a faster dash startup, and maybe a better water gun, I think Squirtle would see more play outside of the few who do stick with him, maybe even be considered higher than bottom 5 for once.

I think Squirtles Up B should have the hitbox from 2.5. Every other change they made was reasonable. I also think he should be able to wall cling after his forward b.

I could see a shorter short hop on him. Honestly, the water gun just isnt that good of a projectile. Maybe if it cancelled upon landing or something.

Hes not as bad as you guys say. Hes at LEAST mid tier. What he needs are options against floaties. He doesnt have many kill options against them. Maybe buff the kb strength of his jump thing yout of the forward B?
When you say he should be able to wall cling after forward b, do you mean after you cancel it mid-air or during the shell animation? I'd be for giving some more power to Aqua Jet, maybe even a little more armor to it. For an attack that puts a burst forward from his shell, you'd think it wouldn't be so easy to tap him out of it or beat his attack flat out.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I could see a shorter short hop on him.
. High shorthop height isn't doing him any favors, either.
You guys are playing Squirtle wrong, gotta do them SH Double aerials and ACs. He just needs Bair's IASA/End one frame sooner. You guys SHDFing, SHFairUpair, SH Bair Waveland? How about you do a SH Bair Waveland twice in a row, I bet you can't. 20 Leelue pesos you can't.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That aerial isn't exactly blazing fast. It become painfully obvious what you're going for.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer

At the current amount of exposure, Squirtle is like a gimmicky character (for lack of a better word). I think he works best against people who don't know the match up. He fights drastically differently then any other character due to his different properties that can be at first hard to adapt to (armor on side-b and nair, small target, weird recovery, erratic movement due to wavedashing, bubble, fast aerials, and certain shell-shifting techniques), and it can be very overwhelming when you don't know how to deal with him. Once his strategy is exposed though, he becomes very predictable, which in many cases decide the rest of the match. He can be an absolute monster if your opponents don't know how to deal with them, so I think some people believe he's good because a few of them here have pocketed a few wins through opponents who have lack of experience or who are johning because they lost due to a lack of experience. Still think he's about mid-tier regardless though.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Who do you guys think Squirtle is seriously better than?
I'd say Dedede, but he's got a lot of things to really screw Squirtle if the Squirtle isn't fast enough to avoid it. For all they've improved him though, I'd say that it's still somewhat close with Dedede and Squirtle at bottom level. The water turtle might edge ahead of Dedede, but it's still pretty close regardless in my opinion.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'd say Dedede, but he's got a lot of things to really screw Squirtle if the Squirtle isn't fast enough to avoid it. For all they've improved him though, I'd say that it's still somewhat close with Dedede and Squirtle at bottom level. The water turtle might edge ahead of Dedede, but it's still pretty close regardless in my opinion.
I didn't ask who you think he wins against in the 1-on-1. I mean who is he better than in the grand scheme vs the cast.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I didn't ask who you think he wins against in the 1-on-1. I mean who is he better than in the grand scheme vs the cast.
Hmm, I'd still say he's better than Dedede in the grand scheme, though not that much better than him.

T. Link comes to mind. Other than that, I think he's a little better or worse than Ness, Luigi, Ganondorf, Zelda and maybe Diddy Kong.
Diddy, Ness, and Ganondorf? Really? I figured that they were much more capable than Squirtle was.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Diddy, Ness, and Ganondorf? Really? I figured that they were much more capable than Squirtle was.
Diddy is still being explored, but I think overall he's still pretty mid-tier. He doesn't have many MUs where he wins by an overwhelming margin; I don't think he has many significantly bad ones, but most of them tend to be negative imo. He's sort of like Squirtle in being sort of gimmicky.
Ness I definitely believe is better than Squirtle in the long run, but not by a huge margin. I think match up wise they're similar, though I think Ness is slightly more balanced in his MU spread. Its also important to note that Ness has been explored much more than Squirtle.
Ganondorf is slowly dropping down the tier list. While he's decent at playing defensively versus rush down characters like Fox and Mario, he doesn't fare very well against other defensive characters like Ivysaur, Zelda, and Link, especially because he has no good answer versus projectile users. His recovery his pretty awful and almost the whole cast can edgeguard it with ease. His attacks are powerful but slow, so Ganon has to rely a lot on reading the opponent, which is much more difficult for Ganon in PM due to the many new changes being brought, including the ones that he can't deal with well. Many people know Ganon's game compared to the newer characters like Squirtle, so I don't think I'm being too farfetched when I say that Squirtle is slightly more balanced than Ganon.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Diddy is still being explored, but I think overall he's still pretty mid-tier. He doesn't have many MUs where he wins by an overwhelming margin; I don't think he has many significantly bad ones, but most of them tend to be negative imo. He's sort of like Squirtle in being sort of gimmicky.
Ness I definitely believe is better than Squirtle in the long run, but not by a huge margin. I think match up wise they're similar, though I think Ness is slightly more balanced in his MU spread. Its also important to note that Ness has been explored much more than Squirtle.
Ganondorf is slowly dropping down the tier list. While he's decent at playing defensively versus rush down characters like Fox and Mario, he doesn't fare very well against other defensive characters like Ivysaur, Zelda, and Link, especially because he has no good answer versus projectile users. His recovery his pretty awful and almost the whole cast can edgeguard it with ease. His attacks are powerful but slow, so Ganon has to rely a lot on reading the opponent, which is much more difficult for Ganon in PM due to the many new changes being brought, including the ones that he can't deal with well. Many people know Ganon's game compared to the newer characters like Squirtle, so I don't think I'm being too farfetched when I say that Squirtle is slightly more balanced than Ganon.
When you say it like that it makes sense. I'd figured they were all considered to be somewhere in the middle and with Squirtle so consistently considered to be bottom 5, I didn't think getting ahead of Ganondorf would happen. Why do you think that Squirtle comes out ahead of T.Link though? I figured with as low as he consistently is, he had something at least to keep him above the pretty linear water pokemon.

vidjogamer

Smash Master
When you say he should be able to wall cling after forward b, do you mean after you cancel it mid-air or during the shell animation? I'd be for giving some more power to Aqua Jet, maybe even a little more armor to it. For an attack that puts a burst forward from his shell, you'd think it wouldn't be so easy to tap him out of it or beat his attack flat out.
I was suggesting after the Aqua Jet. As for buffing the knock back, I think its a great idea. I play a LOT of squirtle. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I feel like I am probably one of the better squirtles around, and I can honestly admit that I have never killed anyone with aqua jet. Not for lack of trying, its simply not as good of a move as his other kill moves or the normal hit of his withdraw for that matter. The normal withdraw can follow up into other, even better kill moves. Aqua jet wouldnt hurt to be buffed. I dont even think it needs armor. I'd rather just have it kill haha. I'm not an armor kind of guy. Though I wouldnt complain ^_^

I still dont know why they changed his up B. I like that it has better recovery, but they made the attack SO bad.

Who do you guys think Squirtle is seriously better than?
ROB, DDD, Ness, Toon Link, Ganondorf, Zelda, Pikachu, JPuff, Marth, G&W

I dont have a strong grasp on all the cast so its hard to give accurate opinions on some. I cant tell if snake is good or not. I've never seen anyone play him. Same goes for Lucario and Pit.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
When you say it like that it makes sense. I'd figured they were all considered to be somewhere in the middle and with Squirtle so consistently considered to be bottom 5, I didn't think getting ahead of Ganondorf would happen. Why do you think that Squirtle comes out ahead of T.Link though? I figured with as low as he consistently is, he had something at least to keep him above the pretty linear water pokemon.
Toon Link is not very good. He's like a slightly better Young Link, who was around mid-tier in Melee (which would make him low tier in PM). I mean he has good options and has answers for some things, but overall he's just outshined by a majority of the cast. I can't think of one match up where he has the advantage.

Squirtle on the other hand has a lot of things going for him (though he's still mediocre). He has a lot of gimmicks he can abuse which in some cases can be the difference between a win or a loss. I think its a lot easier to adapt to a T. Link than to a Squirtle since T. Link's style is reflective of some other characters that people are more used to while Squirtle has a lot of surprising attributes that people are not used to.

I cant tell if snake is good or not. I've never seen anyone play him.
Cue Professor Pro in 3... 2... 1...

Rat

Smash Lord
uh the sweet spot on Aqua jet is crazy strong. It's squirtle strongest kill move. Seems weird to buff it...

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
So, I haven't seen a list in a couple pages, so I decided to make one. I excluded Meta Knight because he has barely been introduced and has no developed metagame.

A. Should place high at big events. No particular order.
Fox
Shiek
Falco
Peach
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Mario
Wario
Snake
Pit
Bowser

B. Can place well in moderately sized tournaments/place well in big events with a very skilled player. No particular order.

DK
Charizard
Lucario
Diddy Kong
Lucas
Wolf
Zamus
Luigi
Ike
R.O.B
Marth
Ivysaur
Sonic
Link

C. Something is holding them back from real tournament viability. Often to gimmicky. No particular order.

Game and Watch
Squirtle
Ganon
D3
Ness
Pikachu
Toon Link
Zelda

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
uh the sweet spot on Aqua jet is crazy strong. It's squirtle strongest kill move. Seems weird to buff it...
Is it? I've hit people with Aqua Jet so many times and it typically is only a minor annoyance without much risk towards those I hit. Where exactly is the sweet spot on it, I must be missing the perfect hit.

Top Bottom