• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
By the way, i only saw 1 tier list so far, but are we sure bowser is still only D tier?
He's still slow, fat, easy to combo, easy to camp, easy to grab, tends to lose neutral, etc. He's better than he was, but a neat little tool like KK dthrow isn't going to pop him up that much. He's useable, at least, but still not a very good character.

jtm94

Smash Lord
It's slow but it threatens from here to Terry Bradshaw. He only needs to grab you at max distance once in order to initiate the chaingrab and from there it's just execution into auto kill.

There isn't that much risk for Link throwing out fair because it's safe on shield. You literately cannot grab it. His other aerials are landed out of throws or projectiles into them. They may not even be out of combo, but catching panic options because they linger forever.

I agree his upsmash should function and bair isn't worth discussing. It can be a stray combo extender in rare situations, but it connecting better doesn't really change any MU.

I think it's worth noting that Link's UpB is transcendent to my knowledge and all projectiles will hit him out of it.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
D3 is still one of the worst characters in the game. the dair rebuff from 3.6b didn't make him suddenly jump up tons of spots. you only see that he has solid MUs against high tiers but then you look at everything else and he gets bodied. he''s really only a CP character.

also, swallow wasn't nerfed and up-smash wasn't buffed.
You, me and the other d3 players disagree on this. I know several of the D3 players feel 3.5 D3 was mid tier or better, due to his gameplan being pretty consistent across the broad cast. Yes, he has a set of bad matchups, but he has versatility against a ton of the cast, whether they are heavies, fat, floaty, fast faller, etc. He has the tools to kill anyone in the game if he gets them off stage, and the reason he fell so hard from 3.5->3.6 was because of the dair change that was a fundamental tool for him in neutral. Now that he can win neutral again, I and D3 players like Apollo think fairly in line that he's back to his mid tier or better status.

As for the usmash and swallow nerf, I believe swallow still pulls in people less aggressively than it did in 3.5, and usmash has better startup data but is slightly laggier. You've argued this is inconsequential while nearly every other D3 player i've spoken to thinks this move is buffed quite a bit. The character has tools to deal with everyone, and I think that makes him swell.

People tend to say things like "characters can't be buffed to fox again or we'll end up with 3.02" but I have yet to see people talk about what power level they want characters to rise towards. For me, I think Lucas, Wario, and Diddy sit in the upper half of hte cast, are fairly close together. You could argue that they are in different tiers, but it would be hard to argue that they are far apart as characters. I wish every character in the game could be buffed to be in that range of power. Do you guys like the current balance? If not, what would be your design philosophy?

Last edited:

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
He's still slow, fat, easy to combo, easy to camp, easy to grab, tends to lose neutral, etc. He's better than he was, but a neat little tool like KK dthrow isn't going to pop him up that much. He's useable, at least, but still not a very good character.
^ This

The more I've played with 3.6 Bowser the less I use KK dthrow. It's still a good move but it's a tool for helping his punish game, not neutral. The angle changes to KK fthrow along with flame breath and dsmash buffs help him too, but again the only thing that really helps him in neutral is flame breath (and even then, you shouldn't be using it in neutral that much to begin with, should instead be dash dancing and armoring through unsafe shffl'd approaches imo). Bowser at the very best is mid-tier, and at worst he's usable and not bottom tier.

Cox Box

Smash Cadet
D3 is still one of the worst characters in the game. the dair rebuff from 3.6b didn't make him suddenly jump up tons of spots. you only see that he has solid MUs against high tiers but then you look at everything else and he gets bodied. he''s really only a CP character.

also, swallow wasn't nerfed and up-smash wasn't buffed.
What characters do you think DDD is worth counter picking for? If he has good match ups vs high tier characters doesn't that make him high tier by definition?

eideeiit

Smash Ace
What characters do you think DDD is worth counter picking for? If he has good match ups vs high tier characters doesn't that make him high tier by definition?
In a game like Melee it would where the low tiers are rare af and still bad.

In PM tho, even if your bad MUs are low tiers, you'll likely come across some of them in bracket if you have a lot. And DDD does afaik.

MrLul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrL300
DK, Jiggs, Ness are three characters that need to be addressed imo. There are still buffs 15-20 characters in this game could afford.
Are you putting Ness in the same tier as DK and Jiggs or am I misunderstanding? lmao
also when dair is a large lingering disjoint below you with a landing hitbox, it doesn't matter what your arbitrary definition "the better of the dairs in the game" because it's one of the best defensive tools in the game for avoiding staggered vertical juggles on a character who uses a frame 3 combo breaker to avoid almost all other juggles at the "cost" of putting him higher up. Hardly a cost, with that dair
what

Experiment 5

Smash Rookie
we don't really need to be addressing this again, just wait till someone loses to a gdubs in backet and comes back here

likewise, what needs to be addressed about ness? genuinely curious here, general consensus seems to be he's one of the best characters in the game atm

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I got bored. So time for a scrubby tier list from me.

upload_2015-8-20_14-8-34.png

CHARACTERS WITHIN ROWS ARE ORDERED ALPHABETICALLY. And yes I know I messed up on Peach in B tier as she is suppose to be behind Luigi and Olimar alphabetically. I goofed. I might have goofed else where with the alphabetical ordering as well and if I did oh well. But again. CHARACTERS IN ROWS ARE ORDERED ALPHABETICALLY.

I'm a lazy mofo as well and don't feel like explaining why character are where they are in this post. I'm also unsure on some of my placings as well but couldn't think of anything better at that moment. Though if any questions get asked I'll try to answer.

Boiko

:drshrug:
genuinely curious here, general consensus seems to be he's one of the best characters in the game atm
General consensus among who?

Almost everyone who made a tier list in this thread put him in one of their bottom tiers.

Edit: And mimgrim's list is in alphabetical order within tiers, that was explicit in the post.

Last edited:

frankxthexbunny

Smash Apprentice
luckilly you can combo into grab pretty easily, and your grab punishes are great. In fact all his punishes are pretty damn ridiculous. I disagree entirely with your statement about his projectiles, his bow for example is an amazing gimp and all of his projectiles make a fantastic disrupt in all possible recovery angles. His fair kills decently early, his combos are super long if you are good with your projectiles and zair, and his bair is more of a combo chain than an edgeguarder though it can work as both in some circumstances. And I'll have to repeat that he absolutely destroys 95 percent of floaty characters, does really good against big guys, and I'd argue even has a less than terrible matchup against fox. You can't be the bottom tier and practically hard counter a quarter of the cast.

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
I got bored. So time for a scrubby tier list from me.

View attachment 69296

CHARACTERS WITHIN ROWS ARE ORDERED ALPHABETICALLY. And yes I know I messed up on Peach in B tier as she is suppose to be behind Luigi and Olimar alphabetically. I goofed. I might have goofed else where with the alphabetical ordering as well and if I did oh well. But again. CHARACTERS IN ROWS ARE ORDERED ALPHABETICALLY.

I'm a lazy mofo as well and don't feel like explaining why character are where they are in this post. I'm also unsure on some of my placings as well but couldn't think of anything better at that moment. Though if any questions get asked I'll try to answer.
Could u please explain sonic, Marth, shiek, puff, and ivysaur's placements?

JOE!

Smash Hero
pit is just there

i tried really hard to play him but hes still super boring and has no soul to him, hes kinda just a character with a cool projectile and a good dash dance, hes just boring
Pit is like a smash character made by a committee:

Disjoint? Ya
Cool camp option? Ya
Multi jumps? Ya
KO special? Ya
High movement special? Ya
Reflector? Ya
Follow up off grab? Ya
An actual identity? Na

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Do you think his lack of identity is due to the lack of players?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So this is my first impression of 3.6, only confident on the top 5 order and the rest are alphabetical in rough groupings. A lot of characters could go up/down a tier, and I don't even know if I agree with the amount of characters in each tier.
received_1749208585306320.jpeg

Basically s tier just has incredible mu spreads that set them above the rest of the cast. I put wolf over fox because while wolf loses the head to heads with fox/falco, I think he wins a lot of MUs harder than fox, and many mus that are closer to even for fox (ddd, marth, maybe rob still?) Wolf should run over. MK is really broken and only loses a handful of mus and dominates a lot of them with just his dd range. Diddy only loses to fox/wolf/samus/peach/wario for the most part, but has a lot of even mus where he has to camp and if he gets touched he dies, which is why I don't think he's better than falco/mk, despite diddy completely destroying all the fatties and slower characters.

The two high tiers are pretty interchangeable really, just didn't want to put them all in one row. Tons of good, strong, very viable characters that have varying degrees of effort needed to play them.

Last two rows are the actually bad characters. They have moves that just don't work well often, lose to a strategy they have minimal ways around (bowser still loses to the z button, ivy/ness get wrecked by proper cc and sdi, etc). I would have link one tier up but he lost a lot of range on his grab by accident and I think that really really hurts him, because it makes the range that people can sit in shield vs him safely even closer.
DK is just bad and bland.

Last edited:

eideeiit

Smash Ace
So this is my first impression of 3.6, only confident on the top 5 order and the rest are alphabetical in rough groupings. A lot of characters could go up/down a tier, and I don't even know if I agree with the amount of characters in each tier.
View attachment 69300
Basically s tier just has incredible mu spreads that set them above the rest of the cast. I put wolf over fox because while wolf loses the head to heads with fox/falco, I think he wins a lot of MUs harder than fox, and many mus that are closer to even for fox (ddd, marth, maybe rob still?) Wolf should run over. MK is really broken and only loses a handful of mus and dominates a lot of them with just his dd range. Diddy only loses to fox/wolf/samus/peach/wario for the most part, but has a lot of even mus where he has to camp and if he gets touched he dies, which is why I don't think he's better than falco/mk, despite diddy completely destroying all the fatties and slower characters.

The twice high tiers are pretty interchangeable really, just didn't want to put them all in one row. Tons of good, strong, very viable characters that have varying degrees of effort needed to play them.

Last two rows are the actually bad characters. They have moves that just don't work well often, lose to a strategy they have minimal ways around (bowser still loses to the z button, ivy/ness get wrecked by proper cc and sdi, etc). I would have link one tier up but he lost a lot of range on his grab by accident and I think that really really hurts him, because it makes the range that people can sit in shield vs him safely even closer.
DK is just bad and bland.
Jiggs in the same tier as Weegee and Squirtman is the only thing I really disagree with here. And I don't really mean it the Jiggs-too-hi way but the Slip'n-sliders-too-low way. I consider both still relatively locked potentialwise. Tho it may just be exposure.

E: unless this is one of those "current meta" folks. Then Idk.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Jiggs is a bad character (I think so in melee too) but that doesn't stop the fact she has a good MU spread. It's not 3.0 where there are unwinnable mus for puff. You can't go even or better vs all of the melee tops sans fox, and be bottom tier, even if you did go even or lose every other mu. Jiggs has a better mu spread that ness or dk, just there's only one player who has every taken puff to optimal levels (hbox, who rarely plays pm, and darc/Jaden are close and do play pm, but play the whole cast pretty much).
Not relevant in tourneys due to representation doesn't mean the character is bad.

Luigi/squirtle are probably a bit too low but they still don't have results or a lot of evidence for what the peak play is like, and thus no super accurate way to evaluate a mu spread other than no one likes playing vs them.

Last edited:

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
I notice a trend with this thread, whenever someone who's not a top/well-known player makes an opinion here you all flame him/her to death and cyberbully him/her. If you wanted this to be a "praise the top players and hate on the less known players" thread, then that should've been the title. This is a tier list speculation thread, not a hate thread, everyone is allowed to make an opinion and if they don't want to support it with fact, then "that's how I feel" is support enough. You don't have to agree, and if you feel the need to comment about it then do it nicely, without just jumping into hate and arguments. Treat people as you want to be treated. Im truly disgusted with this behavior, and surprised that no moderator is doing anything about it. Is this what you want the PM community to be?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
ness as the worst character is also interesting, please explain that
CHARACTERS IN ROWS ARE ORDERED ALPHABETICALLY.
And Ness is just kinda... underwhelming. The only thing he really has going for him is a good punish game. Which is fine for low levels of play. But the lack of an effective neutral game really hurts.

Could u please explain sonic, Marth, shiek, puff, and ivysaur's placements?
Let me pre-face that I'm probably just biased about Marth because of the region I live in. x_x

I honestly just feel that Sheik is a contender for top 5 again in 3.6 full. I don't think she has any MUs worse then slight disadvantage and goes even with or beats the rest. And she just has solid mobility specs, neutral game, and punish game all around.

Ivy just feels underwhelming and not very good overall. I can't quite put it into words but something about Ivy just feels very bad/off.

And I feel Jiggs is a tad underrated. For basically this reason;

Jiggs is a bad character (I think so in melee too) but that doesn't stop the fact she has a good MU spread. It's not 3.0 where there are unwinnable mus for puff. You can't go even or better vs all of the melee tops sans fox, and be bottom tier, even if you did go even or lose every other mu. Jiggs has a better mu spread that ness or dk, just there's only one player who has every taken puff to optimal levels (hbox, who rarely plays pm, and darc/Jaden are close and do play pm, but play the whole cast pretty much).
Not relevant in tourneys due to representation doesn't mean the character is bad.
EDIT - Oh and Sonic. Ehhhh. I actually wanted to put him into A-. I think he is still one of the most underrated characters out. People can talk about negative disjoints all they want but you can't simply be one of the most mobile characters in the game and not be good.

Last edited:

Boiko

I notice a trend with this thread, whenever someone who's not a top/well-known player makes an opinion here you all flame him/her to death and cyberbully him/her. If you wanted this to be a "praise the top players and hate on the less known players" thread, then that should've been the title. This is a tier list speculation thread, not a hate thread, everyone is allowed to make an opinion and if they don't want to support it with fact, then "that's how I feel" is support enough. You don't have to agree, and if you feel the need to comment about it then do it nicely, without just jumping into hate and arguments. Treat people as you want to be treated. Im truly disgusted with this behavior, and surprised that no moderator is doing anything about it. Is this what you want the PM community to be?
If you're not prepared to defend a list that you make, that happens to vary from most other lists, and instead say something like, " i thought everyone here would have the decency to accept my opinions without interrogating me" why are you even posting in the first place?

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
Let me pre-face that I'm probably just biased about Marth because of the region I live in. x_x

I honestly just feel that Sheik is a contender for top 5 again in 3.6 full. I don't think she has any MUs worse then slight disadvantage and goes even with or beats the rest. And she just has solid mobility specs, neutral game, and punish game all around.

Ivy just feels underwhelming and not very good overall. I can't quite put it into words but something about Ivy just feels very bad/off.

And I feel Jiggs is a tad underrated. For basically this reason;
Idk about sheik, im pretty new to her and she doesn't feel that good so far, u might be right tho. About ivy I think she has decent potential in the right hands, she can feel weird to play at first but once you get the feel for her i don't think she's bad..

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Top players tend to know what they are talking about, so there is nothing to "flame", as you put it. But when somebody comes in, drops a list, but refuses to say anything other then "thats how I feel" and wants other people to talk about it, I'm sorry but that is a terrible way to try and start discussion. He made a bunch of questionable placing and expected others to talk about why they disagree. Thats not how discussion/arguments work. Then, when he realized this wasn't going to happen, he clammed up with a victim attitude, saying that he didn't post to be interrogated. All the while double posting an unholy amount.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
But "it's just how I feel" doesn't show us where you're coming from or why you think xyz or give a point for discussion. You need a basis for your opinion/conclusions, preferably backed by some facts/proof. It's also surprising how many times "that's how I feel" translates to "I posted my opinion for the sake of posting it and based it off stray thoughts". Criticism and demanding reasoning behind (in this case) tier placings aren't personal attacks, it's what happens during discussion. If you can't be bothered to defend you opinion in a discussion, you're welcome to leave at any time.

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
If you're not prepared to defend a list that you make, that happens to vary from most other lists, and instead say something like, " i thought everyone here would have the decency to accept my opinions without interrogating me" why are you even posting in the first place?
You can get a feel for a character without looking at paper facts. People can form opinions here based on their experience, because what you see on paper isn't always what you get in reality. As for reasons for posting, that's the poster's business, if it makes them feel good to post a tier list then why would you feel the need to rudely shut them down? Anything on this thread posted by a less known player that goes against the general consensus gets flamed and hated on. But when a known player does it he/she gets praised for it and if someone tries to disagree with their opinion they get flamed out as well.

That being said, you owe 1Flow an apology for this:
Smh, I think that we're all better off just moving onto a different topic.
We all agree your list is bad.
Im not saying it's not ok to think these things, but you can at least do it respectfully.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
You, me and the other d3 players disagree on this. I know several of the D3 players feel 3.5 D3 was mid tier or better, due to his gameplan being pretty consistent across the broad cast. Yes, he has a set of bad matchups, but he has versatility against a ton of the cast, whether they are heavies, fat, floaty, fast faller, etc. He has the tools to kill anyone in the game if he gets them off stage, and the reason he fell so hard from 3.5->3.6 was because of the dair change that was a fundamental tool for him in neutral. Now that he can win neutral again, I and D3 players like Apollo think fairly in line that he's back to his mid tier or better status.

other D3 players are wrong.

and even with the new dair, its still a worse neutral tool than 3.5 dair. he loses neutral more often.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
I was attempting to make a tier list, but then my brain fried after thinking for an hour and getting nowhere. I'll give my general thoughts on certain ideas and characters.

How much does the neutral dictate a character's tier position? How much does the punish game and the ease of said punish chart dictate whether a character is deemed to be good or not? My opinion is that the easier a punish game is, and the ease with which the character can get a combo starter that leads to the guaranteed punish can outweigh some of the other cons that they have in the neutral.

• Charizard, although he doesn't have jab reset like Shiek does, he can reaction tech chase characters off of a down throw and finish stocks with an up throw. He has a strong edge-guard game with his Neutral Air and Back Air, as well as a invincible ledge stall. Although he does get combo-ed pretty hard, the ease of his punish game as well as his long grab range which enable him to get the grab, great anti-airs and a long range tail make him at least high tier in 3.6
  • Now that Sheik's down throw and back throw have been reverted to 3.5 status, I believe that she can pseudo chain-grab as well as down throw (and back throw) tech chase if the opponent DI's away.
  • Do Metaknight or Pit also have a reaction tech chase (or just straight up regrab) off of down throw?
At some point, I'll try and test some of this stuff out. Feel free to contest or ask about any of the points I've made. Also, in anyone wouldn't mind answering the questions I've laid out in this post, that would be nice

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
You can get a feel for a character without looking at paper facts. People can form opinions here based on their experience, because what you see on paper isn't always what you get in reality. As for reasons for posting, that's the poster's business, if it makes them feel good to post a tier list then why would you feel the need to rudely shut them down? Anything on this thread posted by a less known player that goes against the general consensus gets flamed and hated on. But when a known player does it he/she gets praised for it and if someone tries to disagree with their opinion they get flamed out as well.
This thread is about discussion. Hopefully productive discussion.

Someone posting a tier list based on their experience, a lesser known player, or whatever, is fine. Refusing to discuss further is not. This guy, regardless of who he is, posted his tier list and then spammed us through an entire page of double posting saying absolutely nothing except

He did no discussing. He did no speculating. He was the third grader who says Bulbasaur is the best starter, and when the kid next to him says, "No, I think it's Charmander, why do you like Bulbasaur?", he replies, "I JUST THINK SO"

Boiko

The ability to win the neutral game is the most important part of any match up. It doesn't matter how amazing your punishes are if you're never going to win neutral.

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
This thread is about discussion. Hopefully productive discussion.

Someone posting a tier list based on their experience, a lesser known player, or whatever, is fine. Refusing to discuss further is not. This guy, regardless of who he is, posted his tier list and then spammed us through an entire page of double posting saying absolutely nothing except

He did no discussing. He did no speculating. He was the third grader who says Bulbasaur is the best starter, and when the kid next to him says, "No, I think it's Charmander, why do you like Bulbasaur?", he replies, "I JUST THINK SO"
Yea, well, maybe you could discuss things nicely, it's not a crime you know. Instead of ganging up and ostracizing him/her you could respond respectfully. I guess it's just easier for everyone here to bully when the person they're bullying isn't right in front of them. He/she did absolutely nothing wrong yet everyone felt the need to hate on him/her.

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Jab Jab grab, Jab Jab dsmash, Jab Jab upb, Jab jab dtilt are all a thing, and can't be SDI'd to escape. Most characters don't have the range to capitalize on jab jab if they are SDI'd away, but Link actually does on all of his followups. In addition, all of those followups besides upb are combo starters and aren't nearly that high risk. On top of that, his punish game is actually significantly better than most characters due to a. how hard he hits with everything, and b. how his tools like uair don't require him to have "true combos" to keep stacking up the damage. Sol for example is a Link player with a devastating combo game.

On top of that, Link has zair, 2nd hit of fair, and good crouch cancel options that are also good tools in neutral that sit outside the purview of his projectiles. He also has a decent moonwalk, and aerials that space efficiently and can lead into jab jab on shield (nair for example). I just think you are way underrating him when you say he's just Melee Link.
Jab jab dtilt isn't really a thing, dtilt is too slow. Neither is jab jab grab, again too slow and it if you just buffer a spot dodge it's not active enough to catch it. It'll certainly work if you're not expecting it, but it isn't real and there are ways to deal with it. Dsmash is certainly a thing, and so is upb, but if he uses it just once and hits with it he loses his bomb jump, so it comes with a huge cost. The only thing that hits hard and is reasonable to hit with are fsmash and fair. Funny thing about fair is that tlink has more or less the same fair, with more base kb and about 5 less on it's kb, which is another example on how there is usually at least one character that outclasess that good attribute he has. He's fairly decent at building % but most characters have good combo potential or ways to build damage.

Zair is good, I'll give you that, but 2nd hit of fair is fairly useless considering how long it takes for it to come out. Link has no good option when ccing except dsmash, everything else has too much risk or is too slow. I don't think nair is something you can safely space on someone's shield and get jab jab without running a risk of shield grab. I'm not underrating this character, he has literally nothing that any other character has or does better besides the bottom portion of the cast. You can't lose most of your best attributes and still expect to be still considered good, link's nair, his spotdodge, his recovery, the combo potential from his bombs, his boomerang's damage, all these things got effected negatively, and these were all traits that made link good. He's received buffs in other places, like his movement and the utility of other moves, so it kinda equals out to an extent. If you look at this character by himself, then yes, he isn't garbage, he is a mid tier character, but that's the bottom standard in this game because everyone is ridiculous. I'm not denying he has positives to his character, but his negative qualities are too great.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Idk about sheik, im pretty new to her and she doesn't feel that good so far, u might be right tho. About ivy I think she has decent potential in the right hands, she can feel weird to play at first but once you get the feel for her i don't think she's bad..
Ivy just keeps getting its defensive tools nerfed and doesn't really have the toolkit to go aggro on the oppenent. Ivy has a really good gimping game but lacks the means (read, good neutral) to get the opponent off the stage consistently and while Ivy's recovery is fine for when it is edgeguarding the opponent it falls apart when it gets throw off stage because tethers are bad. Ivy has someways to cover this with Razor Leaf and Dair but they aren't all that good either.

Ivy is just lacking.

bokunosmashbros

Smash Rookie
(Each list is in no particular order)
S: :rob::fox::wolf::lucario::lucas::marth::diddy::metaknight::falcon::ike::peach::sheik:
These characters I feel can take nationals with little to no help from a secondary character

A: :mewtwopm::falco::luigi2::mario2::pikachu2::warioc::squirtle::samus2::toonlink::pit::zerosuitsamus:
Close to S tier, but have to put in more work for same results at nationals. Also Pika is super good but needs more representation imo. Also I don't think Falco is that great. Opponents SDIing his combos affect him more than others due to slow horizontal speed, and his recovery is like Fox's, but much worse and much easier to edgeguard.

B: :link2::gw::sonic::snake::olimar::zelda::popo::charizard::roypm:
Solid mid-tiers. Yeah, I put Roy this low because he honestly has so much trouble killing. Plus with the removal of the float and the worse ledgedash, his recovery is soooo much worse.

C::ganondorf::bowser2::ivysaur::jigglypuff::ness2::yoshi2:
Counterpick characters.

D::dedede::dk2::kirby2:
Slightly less useful counterpick characters.

I wish I could have more experience so I could make a better list, but everyone at my local scene is either terrible at Project M or is a Melee/Smash 4 player that ****s on the game every time it's mentioned.

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
Ivy just keeps getting its defensive tools nerfed and doesn't really have the toolkit to go aggro on the oppenent. Ivy has a really good gimping game but lacks the means (read, good neutral) to get the opponent off the stage consistently and while Ivy's recovery is fine for when it is edgeguarding the opponent it falls apart when it gets throw off stage because tethers are bad. Ivy has someways to cover this with Razor Leaf and Dair but they aren't all that good either.

Ivy is just lacking.
Yea she is lacking, but I don't think she's lacking enough to put her down with DK and 2 tiers below puff.. Mach seems to make her work in top level so I don't think she can be lowest tier.. I'd go with low mid tier.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Btw I'm not one to disrespect anyone's opinion at all, you guys are more than welcome to have your opinion about link that isn't mine, and it's perfectly reasonable to defend your way of your thinking, but I just can't agree with the sentiment that link is higher than bottom. If I don't get to all of your points I apologize, it takes forever for me to articulate my point because I go over it so many times in my head, and then I sorta lose track of it sometimes.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I was attempting to make a tier list, but then my brain fried after thinking for an hour and getting nowhere. I'll give my general thoughts on certain ideas and characters.

How much does the neutral dictate a character's tier position? How much does the punish game and the ease of said punish chart dictate whether a character is deemed to be good or not? My opinion is that the easier a punish game is, and the ease with which the character can get a combo starter that leads to the guaranteed punish can outweigh some of the other cons that they have in the neutral.

• Charizard, although he doesn't have jab reset like Shiek does, he can reaction tech chase characters off of a down throw and finish stocks with an up throw. He has a strong edge-guard game with his Neutral Air and Back Air, as well as a invincible ledge stall. Although he does get combo-ed pretty hard, the ease of his punish game as well as his long grab range which enable him to get the grab, great anti-airs and a long range tail make him
  • Now that Sheik's down throw and back throw have been reverted to 3.5 status, I believe that she can pseudo chain-grab as well as down throw (and back throw) tech chase if the opponent DI's away.
  • Do Metaknight or Pit also have a reaction tech chase (or just straight up regrab) off of down throw?
At some point, I'll try and test some of this stuff out. Feel free to contest or ask about any of the points I've made. Also, in anyone wouldn't mind answering the questions I've laid out in this post, that would be nice
I would say how a neutral stacks up against other characters' neutral, along with how well their neutral leads into their punish is most important for determining matchups. Then how good of a mu spread is where they should be placed on a tier list. How punish games stack up in a mu (and thus affecting placement in a tier list) is important, but is a secondary concern compared to how easy it is to get those openings.

Charizard- I don't see down throw as that good of an option. It is a really tight timing to punish tech in place with a grab (frame perfect), so I think he is better off using it occasionally rather than a mainstay of his punish game. Charizard dair does 16 percent and is great for combos, so if you can do a tech chase read, thats a good place to start.

Oh, and both Meta Knight and Pit can do reaction tech chases on characters that are forced to tech. Pit can cg certain characters, I'm told midweights and mid fallers. He can also regrab light floaties if they di away, but they can escape if they di in.

Yea, well, maybe you could discuss things nicely, it's not a crime you know. Instead of ganging up and ostracizing him/her you could respond respectfully. I guess it's just easier for everyone here to bully when the person they're bullying isn't right in front of them. He/she did absolutely nothing wrong yet everyone felt the need to hate on him/her.
Flow definitely came into a thread geared for discussion, shared his/her questionable opinion and refused to elaborate, defend, argue for, really anything. I would call that doing something wrong. Again, why post in a discussion thread and refuse to discuss, all the while making people angry by hiding behind "opinion walls" and getting unnecessarily defensive. Flow just had strange misconception with how this thread operates and refused to change that in the way he/she decided to act.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Bowser d-smash is by far his biggest buff this patch. Besides the obvious utility as a defensive option, he can do silly Samus sorta combos where he chains falling multi-hits into d-smash. Catching someone with aerial up-b is really good on stage now.

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
S: :rob::fox::wolf::lucario::lucas::marth::diddy::metaknight::falcon::ike::peach::sheik:
These characters I feel can take nationals with little to no help from a secondary character

A: :mewtwopm::falco::luigi2::mario2::pikachu2::warioc::squirtle::samus2::toonlink::pit::zerosuitsamus:
Close to S tier, but have to put in more work for same results at nationals. Also Pika is super good but needs more representation imo. Also I don't think Falco is that great. Opponents SDIing his combos affect him more than others due to slow horizontal speed, and his recovery is like Fox's, but much worse and much easier to edgeguard.

Solid mid-tiers. Yeah, I put Roy this low because he honestly has so much trouble killing. Plus with the removal of the float and the worse ledgedash, his recovery is soooo much worse.

Counterpick characters.

I wish I could have more experience so I could make a better list, but everyone at my local scene is either terrible at Project M or is a Melee/Smash 4 player that ****s on the game every time it's mentioned.
I don't think he has that much problem killing: fsmash, flare blade, and bair are all very solid and Roy has good setups into those attacks I believe. Care to elaborate? Also I don't understand Falco's placement. I think he's one of the best in the game despite his recovery, for many of the same reasons I think he's the best in Melee (insanely good combo game, 1 frame cheat move i.e. shine, great DD, quick moves, outstanding neutral, bigger hitboxes than Fox).

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
He actually did - he broke forum rules repeatedly by disregarding forum etiquette. But it's a moot point. Plenty of people were perfectly respectful in their questions or criticisms, and his responses were no different. Nobody is really brigading, here. There's just been like two or three people coming around with uninformed opinions and then playing the victim when other people have other opinions.

You have a right to an opinion. Everyone else has a right to have an opinion about it. That's life. People disagree. Nobody is obligated to candy-coat criticism and pat you on the back for trying. Not in real life, and especially not on an anonymous forum.

This may be a mod of a party game, but we're not really here to entertain children. People are gonna make jokes at other people's expense. People are going to tell people that they're wrong, or uninformed. That's not a crime either.

I'm not gonna waste any more time talking about something that isn't the point of this thread, though.

Counterpick characters.

I get your reasoning for Roy, but I still have to really disagree. He doesn't have much trouble killing. Watch some top-level Roy play if you haven't already; there's plenty of it. Roy has fsmash, and combos into it on some characters (especially meta-important fastfaller characters). His bair just got a substantial buff in this patch, making it easier to connect in a couple different ways, and giving it a better killing angle. He also has many ways to combo into this quick aerial killmove. I think at first glance it's easy to think that Roy has trouble killing, but putting Marth at S tier and Roy at B because Roy has trouble killing is odd, since Roy is much more consistent at killing than Marth (see: Marth Syndrome).

Last edited:
Top Bottom