• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Camping fox isn't that big of an issue, squirtle has the ability to threaten the entire stage. It's not like Ganon who is literally too slow to threaten fox's retreating space. If a fox is constantly throwing out retreating lasers then you wd under the dude and downsmash.

Or just get close and poke like hell with ftilt.

I tell myself everyday that it would be great if I stopped being such an assuming idiot. I assume that that would work too.
Fox can cc shine dsmash to infinity if he's in the air. Ftilt would probably work a few times until the fox gets smart and starts sh nairing when you get close. And while Squirtle can threaten Fox with super rar, a well placed nair would hit squirtle out of everything but bubble, possibly bair and water gun (where the nair would just chump block it)

didds

Smash Lord
The point is there is a ton of counter play both ways, squirtle can wd back to dtilt or whatever really to counter nair to start the whole Rock Paper Scissors battle again. The tech chasing just doesn't seem like it comes into play that much during the match is what I commented on at first anyway.

The issue is squirtle requires much more mixup and thought to get past fox's more well rounded tools and strong walls. But he still has all the tools he needs to exploit fox's holes. Sometimes it just takes a tech in place to Hail Mary grab to stuff the occasional fox tech chase situation, a situation which should be highly disadvantageous given the rest of squirtle's kit.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Yes, a character that's in the top 3 techchase ability in the game totally doesnt body the character with the worst tech roll in the game, great logic Nausicaa
Why
Would you ever
Need a good tech-chase to chase Squirtles tech...
Anyone can tech-chase that.
It's more of advantage to literally everyone else in the game OTHER than Fox/Falcon/etc because they gain nothing from someone having bad tech-rolls when they could chase them just as well if they had amazing tech-rolls.

Logic much? haha

edit: Fox nair goes through everything Pika has because he's stubby
Fox hard counters Pika more than anyone else confirmed

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
I hate the pushing of the logic that a character not having that much disjoint auto loses to another character with sex kicks/sword. It's not as if every game boils down to 2 characters jousting at each other and the one with the bigger disjoint wins.

For what it's worth Squirtle can bair, uair, and dair through Fox's nair so it isn't like he has nothing to contest his moves.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Why do people still say this in 2015...
Because it's true? PM crouch cancel is better than Melee CC. Maybe it's from what I've seen constantly or that stages being bigger + better recoveries = CC seemingly better. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

She still dies at 100 from up-smash, she doesn't die at 90ish anymore(on most stages). CC is identical to Melee, and she didn't get any heavier, so that's blatantly false. The Fox nerfs have been very light, and haven't drastically changed how the matchup is played. And saying one of my moves is good(a move that Fox specifically has no trouble getting around), is pretty irrelevant. Samus still dies crazy early to Fox's actual kill moves, and I don't have to explain how easy it is for Fox to confirm into those things. Granted Samus can do the same back most of the time, but she's just too slow to win the neutral game against him. I'd call it even maybe if we had Melee tethers. But 3.5 tether mechanics are still an atrocity. Every time I tether I should get shine-spiked and die.
Lasers don't do 50 damage halfway across the stage anymore, Uair is extremely easy to SDI, and up smash doesn't kill until about 105-110 or higher (I'll test that when I get my setup back). Stages are bigger which means she lives even longer in general, while she still has the same setups that kill Fox at relatively the same %'s in Melee. Recovery can be punished easier due to more end lag on Fox. She also has Ice mode to get Fair / Usmash kills and useful for zoning purposes. Her roll is useable compared to Melee and the morph ball / moving crouch adds an extra movement / gimmick to her toolset.

Last edited:

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
In before Strong bad hits with the (it is the same as melee).

Though there are only so many times you can watch someone cc a down smash at 180 and live, or watch samus cc a Lucario ex spirit bomb at 95 and only slide away. Could it be (just throwing darts here) melee cc is too strong in a heavier pm environment. A revision to the current formula would be easier to justify if the heavies were o.p, problem is this would be nerfing them in an already speed oriented environment.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
More viable weights, more viable cc mechanics. It's Melee cc, but with a balanced cast to help prove how bad cc is

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
pretty sure someone respectable said they tested CC %s for shiek's f-tilt and melee characters could crouch them 2-3% later than melee

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
pretty sure someone respectable said they tested CC %s for shiek's f-tilt and melee characters could crouch them 2-3% later than melee
That may be because of changes to ASDI down? Not sure how Brawl's engine inherently differs from Melee's, but I could imagine 2-3% as plausible.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Because it's true? PM crouch cancel is better than Melee CC. Maybe it's from what I've seen constantly or that stages being bigger + better recoveries = CC seemingly better. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lasers don't do 50 damage halfway across the stage anymore, Uair is extremely easy to SDI, and up smash doesn't kill until about 105-110 or higher (I'll test that when I get my setup back). Stages are bigger which means she lives even longer in general, while she still has the same setups that kill Fox at relatively the same %'s in Melee. Recovery can be punished easier due to more end lag on Fox. She also has Ice mode to get Fair / Usmash kills and useful for zoning purposes. Her roll is useable compared to Melee and the morph ball / moving crouch adds an extra movement / gimmick to her toolset.
Pretty sure SDI is the same, and you don't always get a chance to SDI it, you undersell how floaty Samus is, unless you mean 105 after up-smash which is probably more average. Stages on average are bigger, but ceilings are not higher on average, the stagelist favors Fox. Ice mode is not worth it against Fox, we lose more set-ups than we gain. Recovery on Fox is barely different, he very rarely ever actually lands in the new up-b land lag. And crawling is not the same as crouch cancelling, if she is hit while moving all I get is the ASDI part of CC.

You can't just simplify it to "I heard Samus goes even with Fox in Melee, she must body him in PM cause buffs!". You kind of need to toss that (flawed) frame of reference because there are a lot of different little things in this match-up in PM vs. Melee. I also cannot stress how much worse 3.5 tether mechanics make this match-up.

Boiko

:drshrug:
@ D e l t a D e l t a Did you say you can shield safely against Lucas? He has some of the best shield pressure in the game...Lucas is an amazing character and is not just usable at a regional level, whatever that means.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
he's actually banned at locals and nationals.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Looking at the data, Lucas can definitely be safe on shield, as well as punish buffered rolls. He has the advantage over spacie/lucario pressure in that he is a decent distance away. There are also decent mixups between crossup nairs/dairs, spaced DJC fair (frame perfect makes it land the frame after, much better than the equivalent late aerials), and various magnets. Can he punish rolls on reaction/read by wd out of magnet?

Disadvantages over the other 4 include a slow grab, no option to catch rolls (double shine), also not getting near as much if they drop shield (Falco dair/shine, fox drill/shine,grab, wolf nair/dair/shine/grab, Lucario things (?).

Speaking of tethers, why do they have to be such a disadvantage? I understand grabbing out of the air is dumb, but I could think of a couple different ways to make them have actual adv/disadv compared to normal grabs.

First here is how they all operate
Link: Grabs airborne frame 11, lots of end lag
Toon Link: Grabs airborne frame 11 (iirc, all from memory, decent lag
Ivysaur: Grabs like frame 14 or something, all airborne except furthest grab box
Samus: All grab airborne
Lucas: First set grab airborne, like frame 11 or so
Olimar: Airborne all the time, varying grab range
Yoshi: Airborne frame 11

I stopped doing lag because I forgot...

So basically, its all really inconsistent except where most of them are hurt by their tether. The benefits? Increas in range (probs not worth it imo), incredibly useful pivot grab. That's all that's consistent.

2 options going forward:
1: In general (obviously doesn't have to go to all), give rediculous followups into kill. Autocombo, jank, whatever name, easy confirms/combos. The argument is they get rewarded for landing such a laggy grab, risk/reward, stuff like that.

2: Make the airborne grab come out normal speeds. At least for short tethers (long could be frame 11 like Link's). It doesn't have to be great range, just something.

Mix the two depending on the case (or add a 3rd of grabbing aerial opponents for Samus/kinda Ivy). Sure, long range catches so retreating options like wd back, but that hardly makes up for how difficult it is for these characters to deal with shields/cc. Whaddya think? I did write this pretty late, will go through and edit in correct data/fix errors soon.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
The benefits? Increas in range (probs not worth it imo), incredibly useful pivot grab. That's all that's consistent.
at least for the links (maybe lucas and ivy as well) this is actually an interesting tradeoff. a lot of upclose stuff that would lose to normal grabs beats their tethers, due to startup, but then the more midranged spacing options seem to lose to them, due to the speed/range combo they have.

at least it seems that way in my limited experience.

the slower ones, like samus, old zss, and olimar are just wonky and people just make them work. can't comment on those.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
The argument that "CC matches the Melee value/data" is null considering the roster PM is overall heavier than that of the Melee's. There's much more heavier/heavy-ish characters, and like MLGF implied, there's so many more viable characters now with INSANELY good moves they can perform out of CC.

I don't care if the number values or whatever match, if it's too strong it's too strong. It's ridiculous when you see someone's move get negated at 80%+. CC needs to start becoming inviable at lower percents.

(P.S.: Why can G&W CC dtilt my dtilt at like, 5086%?)

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
the assumption is that when people say "cc is stronger" means that "when this character from melee cc's it's stronger and lasts to a higher percent than it did in melee (the degree to which is subjective)", not "the overall cc meta is stronger amongst the cast". or at least that's how i read it.

don't disagree with your overall point, though. "I don't care if the number values or whatever match, if it's too strong it's too strong." it's true, i just wanted to argue semantics.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Looking at the data, Lucas can definitely be safe on shield, as well as punish buffered rolls. He has the advantage over spacie/lucario pressure in that he is a decent distance away. There are also decent mixups between crossup nairs/dairs, spaced DJC fair (frame perfect makes it land the frame after, much better than the equivalent late aerials), and various magnets. Can he punish rolls on reaction/read by wd out of magnet?

Disadvantages over the other 4 include a slow grab, no option to catch rolls (double shine), also not getting near as much if they drop shield (Falco dair/shine, fox drill/shine,grab, wolf nair/dair/shine/grab, Lucario things (?).

Speaking of tethers, why do they have to be such a disadvantage? I understand grabbing out of the air is dumb, but I could think of a couple different ways to make them have actual adv/disadv compared to normal grabs.

First here is how they all operate
Link: Grabs airborne frame 11, lots of end lag
Toon Link: Grabs airborne frame 11 (iirc, all from memory, decent lag
Ivysaur: Grabs like frame 14 or something, all airborne except furthest grab box
Samus: All grab airborne
Lucas: First set grab airborne, like frame 11 or so
Olimar: Airborne all the time, varying grab range
Yoshi: Airborne frame 11

I stopped doing lag because I forgot...

So basically, its all really inconsistent except where most of them are hurt by their tether. The benefits? Increas in range (probs not worth it imo), incredibly useful pivot grab. That's all that's consistent.

2 options going forward:
1: In general (obviously doesn't have to go to all), give rediculous followups into kill. Autocombo, jank, whatever name, easy confirms/combos. The argument is they get rewarded for landing such a laggy grab, risk/reward, stuff like that.

2: Make the airborne grab come out normal speeds. At least for short tethers (long could be frame 11 like Link's). It doesn't have to be great range, just something.

Mix the two depending on the case (or add a 3rd of grabbing aerial opponents for Samus/kinda Ivy). Sure, long range catches so retreating options like wd back, but that hardly makes up for how difficult it is for these characters to deal with shields/cc. Whaddya think? I did write this pretty late, will go through and edit in correct data/fix errors soon.
Tether grabs in general could probably use some work, or just some normalization with each other for the sake of consistency. I'm pretty happy with where Samus' is at though. I believe she has the slowest grabs in the game now(in startup, travel time, and endlag). This weakness actually makes the character a lot more interesting, though. Instead of just chucking out grab to beat shield, I have to space strange pressure and work around the opponent's shield in ways that other characters don't really have to, it's something unique and we should strive to keep healthy unique things in the game.

That said, I would like to see Samus' standing grab borrow some active frames from dash grab. Dash lingers like crazy and catches spot-dodges and makes people angry(lol), but standing grab-box terminates immediately upon full extension. It's just a consistency thing. Either that or standing grab Melee range(if they ever figure it out).

steelguttey

mei is bei
people talk about wario or yoshi being perfectly designed characters but i think the posterboy for design should be lucas. hes so good and doesnt need changes at all. hes a sweetspot based rushdown character that cant do stuff if he hits his sourspots because they suck. he has obvious weaknesses and obvious strengths

just realized how easily this could be taken sarcastically but it actually isnt lmao

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
Wolf is actually the best designed character, also do people actually say that Yoshi is perfectly designed? Because that sounds new to me.

steelguttey

mei is bei
idk theres huge circlejerks that come about whenever someone comes up with the topic of "best designed" and wario is always named and yoshi was somethint that came up from my head idk if hes part of it

tbh waft is dumb and its whats holding wario back from being per

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Don't know as far as best designed characters, I would probably say Wario and diddy. Obvious strengths and weaknesses, with only slightly degenerate mechanics (down b) to make them unique and fun to play with, while having counterplay across the entire roster.

Worst designed probably goes to the big gorilla who has the sole and only purpose of getting a grab, and has random invincibility and armored frames to try and make up (and usually fails) for the very linear grappler design. I am not saying the character is too strong or too weak, merely stating dk is very linear.

Last edited:

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
Yoshi got quite the amount of changes for a character that would usually be looked at as "well designed" though. I think waft is fine, the only dumb thing was it charging while on a respawn platform which is gone now, also I'll give a +1 to Diddy as well, so dumb in 3.0, basically perfect now

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Worst designed probably goes to the big gorilla who has the sole and only purpose of getting a grab, and has random invincibility and armored frames to try and make up (and usually fails) for the very linear grappler design. I am not saying the character is too strong or too weak, merely stating
Random invincibility and armor eh? Last I checked all the invinc he has he also has in Melee (only on Up-B, fully charged nB [frames 17-18, before arm becomes outstretched], rolls/spotdodge/etc), and the only armor he has is on Dash Attack.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Was referring to the old invincibile nair arms from patches past as well. And not trying to offend, from an outside standpoint it seems that the character is over reliant on getting grabs to be consistent at high lvl play. Would enjoy hearing your idea of good and bad design choice characters, I found it a fun topic in 3.02 where half the cast was on it in someone's opinion lol.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Worst designed probably goes to the big gorilla who has the sole and only purpose of getting a grab, and has random invincibility and armored frames to try and make up (and usually fails) for the very linear grappler design. I am not saying the character is too strong or too weak, merely stating dk is very linear.
He's... he's a grappler. Of course his whole bent is grabs. I don't get how you can say 'worst-designed'.

That's like saying... 'Yeah, Zangief is a pretty stupid character. He's only good if he's getting grabs, and he's got weird, random stuff to make him projectile immune and he gets shut out too easily.'

DK, and grapplers in general, are probably some of the most interesting characters in any fight game to watch. Your head would spin if you were aware of how very aware of the neutral game grapplers have to be, down to the pixel, just to get in and do their dirty work. The kind of patience, baiting, and awareness the grappler has to have is astounding. Again, some of the best characters you can have the pleasure of watching.

It's not bad 'design', it's a different type of character, that needs to be played entirely differently than your zoners, than your rushdown characters, than your 'shotos'. The problem I feel like I see with most chump-change players picking up DK is that they pick him up, and assume that just because his whole game is grabs, that they need to be grabbing as much as possible. Just because you've got great grabs (Marth, Sheik, so on) doesn't mean that your grab isn't punishable. Same goes for the grappler. They've got to bide their time, and play out a match very patiently. Once they get in, they're in, and they can deal some real damage, but it takes an incredible amount of skill to get in those situations. Doesn't make the character bad, it means that he's more demanding of the player's abilities in neutral.

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
People bring up Yoshi when talking about well-designed characters? Yoshi is a stupidly designed character if you ask me. One of the dumbest, even with the few fixes he received.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I tested CC stuff for sheik's dash attack/ftilt against falco not that long ago. He could ASDI down/true CC to cancel hitstun at all the same percents. The only thing that was different was in PM, falco could ASDI down into knockdown for about 2% later on either one in PM. But that's not CCing so that's pretty irrelevant. Although I am curious what causes the slight difference. Different collision boxes on the knockback animation maybe?

Honestly weight doesn't even affect CC as drastically as people claim it does. Yeah, samus/ROB might get like 15% more CC ability than a lightweight depending on the move. To me, the real issue is that nobody has really developed matchups enough to know when the opponent has the freedom to crouch and when they are actually whiff punishing the move itself or approaching just after the move has ended, only to hit the opponent on the first frame of crouch. There's a reason you don't see CC much in high level melee, and it has a lot to do with how optimized whiff punishes and raw approaches have become- sheiks approach almost exclusively with grabs and might punish whiffs with a dash attack if the opponent is over ~20%; marths almost always grab but will from time to time run in with a difficult-to-CC-punish dtilt (due to its reach and low endlag/low start-up for minimal reaction/punishment time) and maybe occasionally flex their reach with dash attack, which isn't CCable when sweeted; spacies have shine+dair for unCCable stuff; GL punishing puffs bair spacing with CC lol; and just try CC against peach, safe fairs are the name of the game and will knock you down, and dsmash will eat you for breakfast. Even if PM CC was significantly stronger, it wouldn't matter much because you should be avoiding CCable approaches/punishes until the point at which CC isn't an available option, having them airborne or high percent or w/e.

Last edited:

Boiko

Lucas can get a lot out of a dropped shield, just saying. Character requires you to be very precise for the highest reward. It can all be SDI'd though, so there's counterplay.

As far as well designed characters go, I think Meta Knight is phenomenal.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
He's... he's a grappler. Of course his whole bent is grabs. I don't get how you can say 'worst-designed'.

That's like saying... 'Yeah, Zangief is a pretty stupid character. He's only good if he's getting grabs, and he's got weird, random stuff to make him projectile immune and he gets shut out too easily.'

DK, and grapplers in general, are probably some of the most interesting characters in any fight game to watch. Your head would spin if you were aware of how very aware of the neutral game grapplers have to be, down to the pixel, just to get in and do their dirty work. The kind of patience, baiting, and awareness the grappler has to have is astounding. Again, some of the best characters you can have the pleasure of watching.

It's not bad 'design', it's a different type of character, that needs to be played entirely differently than your zoners, than your rushdown characters, than your 'shotos'. The problem I feel like I see with most chump-change players picking up DK is that they pick him up, and assume that just because his whole game is grabs, that they need to be grabbing as much as possible. Just because you've got great grabs (Marth, Sheik, so on) doesn't mean that your grab isn't punishable. Same goes for the grappler. They've got to bide their time, and play out a match very patiently. Once they get in, they're in, and they can deal some real damage, but it takes an incredible amount of skill to get in those situations. Doesn't make the character bad, it means that he's more demanding of the player's abilities in neutral.
A lot of what you said just makes me feel stronger about what I was hinting at. In street fighter Zangief ' s throws are far more punishing than any other character's and he is justly rewarded for getting in through the gaunlet of projectiles. I attempted to say linear over and over for a reason. Dk is one of the worst combo weights for getting out of combos combined with what to get out of juggles, Yolo up b? Yes his grab game is strong, but there are characters that can get just as much off grabs, and setup for them far more easily. Good and bad is arbitrary based on the surrounding cast. While my argument was roundabout (4a.m message) My question is since all the other characters around him are multi optioned, and do virtually the same thing up close, what encourages the dk player at hi lvl play to stick with the character as anything more than a counter pick?

Also for you to assume my ability to grasp the concept of fighting games is flawed off one message is a bit... presumptuous of you. I just feel the risk reward ratio is not where it should be for this character and wanted to hear the defense for why he is perfectly fine in this hi speed hi punish meta. Considering Strong Bad has the most experience playing the character, I was curious on what his input was about dk's viability as a solo main.

Last edited:

D e l t a

@ D e l t a D e l t a Did you say you can shield safely against Lucas? He has some of the best shield pressure in the game...Lucas is an amazing character and is not just usable at a regional level, whatever that means.
*had some of the best pressure. All Lucas gets now is maybe a magnet -> aerial or nair -> magnet -> aerial. Before you had to buffer a roll. Now you can just roll away or punish with a grab / aerial OoS. It's still better than most characters, but you overestimate how good it is. In 3.0 he had busted pressure and could catch rolls / anything OoS that was too slow. With the added hitlag, Lucas lost a lot of good pressure.

==

A lot of people also tend to forget the lack of large disjoint (RIP 3.0 Fair & perfect PKF), long lasting hitboxes, and high priority moves. If Lucas had a Fox Nair or some kind of sex kick, he would be able to perform slightly better. From an outside perspective, it's hard to notice the weaknesses and difficulties that Lucas endures. His PKF and magnet are extremely overrated while sourspots & tilts are the most underrated moves he has.

By only viable at a regional level, I mean that Lucas probably won't be showing up at top 8 of nationals for a long time.

The Baron

Smash Apprentice
One thing I love about this thread is that the minute someone tries to say that a character they don't play has some good in them or might be something higher than mid tier, every main of that character comes out and describes every single bad thing about their character in detail and how they are probably terrible. Not a bad thing just something that's kind of funny.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Wolf isn't super well designed lol. Pretty ballanced/close to healthy but he has spacie pressure with falcon combos and an amazing grab game. Up throw is amazing on fast fallers/mid weights and vs floaties b/dthrow mixups and at worst get a tech chase. Throw an (albeit clank able, with start up) projectile with no positional commitment attached to the end lag of the move and you have some junk. This patch you can always buffer rolls away from nair shine which is great for his counterplay, and some dumb angles got taken away from moves and he can't ledge stall infinitely like in 3.0. His recovery is still the best of all the spacies though. He was probably the best designed in 3.0 maybe, not counting over lapping blaster nair shine grab on shield setups.

Idk if diddy is that well designed lol. Bananas are really dumb and he has so many ways to beat shields and CC. But he also struggles killing and has bad MUs vs people he can't kill and people who still beat his neutral despite bananas. Healthy in that he is dumb but fits well in the cast maybe.

Lucas still has the best shield pressure in the game, frame wise.

Last edited:

Boiko

*had some of the best pressure. All Lucas gets now is maybe a magnet -> aerial or nair -> magnet -> aerial. Before you had to buffer a roll. Now you can just roll away or punish with a grab / aerial OoS. It's still better than most characters, but you overestimate how good it is. In 3.0 he had busted pressure and could catch rolls / anything OoS that was too slow. With the added hitlag, Lucas lost a lot of good pressure.

==

A lot of people also tend to forget the lack of large disjoint (RIP 3.0 Fair & perfect PKF), long lasting hitboxes, and high priority moves. If Lucas had a Fox Nair or some kind of sex kick, he would be able to perform slightly better. From an outside perspective, it's hard to notice the weaknesses and difficulties that Lucas endures. His PKF and magnet are extremely overrated while sourspots & tilts are the most underrated moves he has.

By only viable at a regional level, I mean that Lucas probably won't be showing up at top 8 of nationals for a long time.
What's with you Lucas mains thinking that characters can shield grab Lucas? You need a frame 4 OoS option to beat Lucas' pressure. No shield grab is 4 frames. His sweet spot fair can be spaced out of shine range, and against every other character, they need to beat his next option, which is typically magnet, which comes out on frame 5. So, like I said, a frame 4 OoS option that can be spaced away from his magnet/fair. There are very few characters that can challenge Lucas' shield pressure with their OoS options. You realize, the difference between 3.0 and 3.6 magnet is +6 on shield and +4 on shield? That's still a substantial shield advantage. If you drop shield against Lucas, he can get a combo going and score big damage. He's fast enough on the ground to follow rolls, especially when considering his frame advantage, and 3/4 of his best pressure moves beat spot dodges. His dair, one of his only aerials that CAN be shield grabbed, has enough aerial mobility to cross up shields and prevent the shield grab, and can cross up far enough to avoid shine OoS.

Long lasting hitboxes? High priority moves? He has plenty. Yes, his tilts are amazing. I haven't met a good Lucas who thinks otherwise though. Magnet is not overrated at all, lol. It's a frame 5 tool that can convert into a combo or death. Yes, your opponent can SDI out of magnet, but that doesn't make it a bad option.

I'm sorry, but I see you post all of the time about Lucas and how he's not so great for xyz reasons, but you're almost always incorrect in your assessments one way or another. Do you have experience with the character on a national level? Have you played every match up at a high level? How often do you travel out of your region? You can make the argument that you don't necessarily have to be a good player to be a good theory crafter, but it sounds like you're lost when it comes to knowing how to apply Lucas' strongest attributes. No disrespect intended.

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
I don't really have any skin in this "DK's archetype" thing but I'd like to point out that DK is not really a grappler in the traditional sense of the word. A Zangief style "grappler" needs to be have a command grab that is more range-y, more damaging, and has better frame advantage than neutral grabs. Yes, DK's game revolves around getting a grab but so does Makoto's and she is not a grappler. If he's any kind of grappler, he's Alex or one of the Ikari Warriors from KOF, not Zangief. He's speedy and has some pretty great ways to get a grab in neutral compared to most characters. He's honestly not easy to compare to an SF character at all.

The Zangief of this game is undeniably Bowser. Maybe DDD is T. Hawk? Ha. At least he has a command grab.

Also, the clearest SF analogue in Smash I see is that Wario is Makoto (at least SFIII, I dont know her in SFIV). He has great normals that tend to put the opponent on tilt, and he has a sort of untraditional command grab that puts people in mixup situation and can easily lead to zero to death If the Makoto/Wario character has good reads. And he's got a dashing special!

D e l t a

What's with you Lucas mains thinking that characters can shield grab Lucas? You need a frame 4 OoS option to beat Lucas' pressure. No shield grab is 4 frames. His sweet spot fair can be spaced out of shine range, and against every other character, they need to beat his next option, which is typically magnet, which comes out on frame 5. So, like I said, a frame 4 OoS option that can be spaced away from his magnet/fair. There are very few characters that can challenge Lucas' shield pressure with their OoS options. You realize, the difference between 3.0 and 3.6 magnet is +6 on shield and +4 on shield? That's still a substantial shield advantage. If you drop shield against Lucas, he can get a combo going and score big damage. He's fast enough on the ground to follow rolls, especially when considering his frame advantage, and 3/4 of his best pressure moves beat spot dodges. His dair, one of his only aerials that CAN be shield grabbed, has enough aerial mobility to cross up shields and prevent the shield grab, and can cross up far enough to avoid shine OoS.

Long lasting hitboxes? High priority moves? He has plenty. Yes, his tilts are amazing. I haven't met a good Lucas who thinks otherwise though. Magnet is not overrated at all, lol. It's a frame 5 tool that can convert into a combo or death. Yes, your opponent can SDI out of magnet, but that doesn't make it a bad option.

I'm sorry, but I see you post all of the time about Lucas and how he's not so great for xyz reasons, but you're almost always incorrect in your assessments one way or another. Do you have experience with the character on a national level? Have you played every match up at a high level? How often do you travel out of your region? You can make the argument that you don't necessarily have to be a good player to be a good theory crafter, but it sounds like you're lost when it comes to knowing how to apply Lucas' strongest attributes. No disrespect intended.
I'm not saying he's a garbage character, only that he's hindered by a number of weaknesses. You state many of the same problems for Ness, yet refute my statements I make against them such as recovery & priority.

You can't necessarily shield grab everything of Lucas' however, there are a number of gaps in Lucas' pressure that are easy to grab. Just because you read raw frame data of a move being +x on shield, doesn't mean that there isn't time in-between the moves afterwards to punish. I've been grabbed out of aerial magnet before I could start up a DJC Fair or mid-wavedash back.

Please let me know which high priority long lasting moves he has. Fair & Nair? Let's see those compete with M2, Fox, Falco, Sheik, Ike, or any other character with a similar Nair / aerial.

As for high level play, I do travel out of my region as much as possible. I don't always need to considering our PR has some of the most diversified characters and most of them are the best in their respective characters. I've played a number of MUs at a high level and study extensively the MUs I won't get practice in.

Lucas' only strong attributes are having a great punish game and strong rush down. Everything else is overrated and blown out of proportion.

Ya Boy GP

Smash Apprentice
I'm not saying he's a garbage character, only that he's hindered by a number of weaknesses. You state many of the same problems for Ness, yet refute my statements I make against them such as recovery & priority.

You can't necessarily shield grab everything of Lucas' however, there are a number of gaps in Lucas' pressure that are easy to grab. Just because you read raw frame data of a move being +x on shield, doesn't mean that there isn't time in-between the moves afterwards to punish. I've been grabbed out of aerial magnet before I could start up a DJC Fair or mid-wavedash back.

Please let me know which high priority long lasting moves he has. Fair & Nair? Let's see those compete with M2, Fox, Falco, Sheik, Ike, or any other character with a similar Nair / aerial.

As for high level play, I do travel out of my region as much as possible. I don't always need to considering our PR has some of the most diversified characters and most of them are the best in their respective characters. I've played a number of MUs at a high level and study extensively the MUs I won't get practice in.

Lucas' only strong attributes are having a great punish game and strong rush down. Everything else is overrated and blown out of proportion.
"I don't need to travel out of region"

lol

Boiko

Lucas has an objectively better recovery than Ness. He has a significantly better hitbox protecting himself from non-disjointed moves, a higher degree of aerial drift at the apex of PKT2, and a tether to mix up his options. Comparing them is arbitrary anyway.

Have you considered that you just have poor spacing? You can space around most character's shield grabs. Maybe you're just too slow? Aerial magnet is +4 on shield, which means you have 11 frames to match a standard shield grab, 10, if you consider grab armor. That's plenty of time. Mag is +4 on shield, fair is active frame 5. You know what beats that? Frame one OoS options, not shield grab.

Just because a character has a better move, it doesn't make yours bad. Also, how would you compare, Fox, Falco, Sheik, or Ike's nair to Lucas'? They're entirely different and used completely differently.

So? People in your region have experience playing against YOU AND YOUR STYLE. Just like you have experience playing against them and their styles. You play against Tetra's Ness, that doesn't mean you would have experience playing against MY Ness, which is extremely different.

Lucas' weakness is in his defenses and he's good enough that he very rarely needs to play in a defensive position.

CORY

wut
BRoomer

I don't really have any skin in this "DK's archetype" thing but I'd like to point out that DK is not really a grappler in the traditional sense of the word. A Zangief style "grappler" needs to be have a command grab that is more range-y, more damaging, and has better frame advantage than neutral grabs. Yes, DK's game revolves around getting a grab but so does Makoto's and she is not a grappler. If he's any kind of grappler, he's Alex or one of the Ikari Warriors from KOF, not Zangief. He's speedy and has some pretty great ways to get a grab in neutral compared to most characters. He's honestly not easy to compare to an SF character at all.

The Zangief of this game is undeniably Bowser. Maybe DDD is T. Hawk? Ha. At least he has a command grab.

Also, the clearest SF analogue in Smash I see is that Wario is Makoto (at least SFIII, I dont know her in SFIV). He has great normals that tend to put the opponent on tilt, and he has a sort of untraditional command grab that puts people in mixup situation and can easily lead to zero to death If the Makoto/Wario character has good reads. And he's got a dashing special!
in terms of grappler analogues: i always thought a grappler was mostly defined by "makes you afraid to block (shield), but also makes you afraid not to" so, good damage/combos/positional advantage on their throws and command grab(s) and also really good damage/positional advantage on normal combos, as well. usually balanced by low mobility and/or large hurtboxes, but have good hitbox coverage and ways to beat out zoning/projectiles on good reads.

so, i can agree to bowser being a "traditional" styled grappler. he makes you afraid of shielding, because sideb has good followups or it can kill, off bad di, and if you get touched by him normally, he'll get a good chunk of damage in. even though he has a decent dash speed, he's still large framed, making it difficult to easily get in on zoners and projectiles, but he still has good range on pokes, etc... and has some tools to get through things (various armors, namely, and the firebreath for some sort of a semi-ranged poke).

i also feel like ganon fits a traditional grappler model, too, to an extent. he hits like a truck and his normal throws (namely dthrow, uthrow, then fthrow) give him really good followups or set up for the edgeguard really well, then he has his command grab for additional damage and (typically) a positional advantage. or, the aerial version that always gives a positional advantage (in the tech situation) but can also give varying degrees of potency in followups. he's one of the slowest characters in the game, both walk and run speed, and has a large frame, with both the pros and cons that come from it. then, he has some tricks and tools to get through hard zoning and projectile camping (float/reflect, high damage with good hitboxes on grounded wizkick).

/just my thoughts

Top Bottom