• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Twin Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
So what are the overall impressions on Ivysaur and Donkey Kong? I'm certain they've been talked about at some point but I'm not going to weed through 700 pages to find it lol.

Boiko

:drshrug:
So what are the overall impressions on Ivysaur and Donkey Kong? I'm certain they've been talked about at some point but I'm not going to weed through 700 pages to find it lol.
Pretty sure most people consider them on the lower end of the spectrum. DK's entire game is contingent upon getting a grab, which a lot of characters have the tools to prevent. I don't think Ivy is so bad personally, more of a mid tier character. I feel that a lot of her attacks are punishable on reaction due to either the wind up (fair) or the end lag (almost everything else). Plus she has a tether recovery, which is never good.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Back on page 244, I said this about Ivy

On page 666, I said this about DK

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Pretty sure I have the most anti meta / different neutral out there of any player.

If waiting was simply enough to beat me, I wouldn't be getting top places at tournaments

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Just curious but is there a general consensus on what characters need heavy changes, little changes and ones that just shouldn't be touched at all?
Bowser almost fits all of those qualifications at the same time, strangely enough

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Strong Bad put Lucario as second place. Does that mean he's going to get nerfed super hard in 3.6?
Lucario will probably see some nerfs, yes, but I wouldn't correlate where Strongbad puts a character on his tier list to how severe of a nerf that character is going to receive. That is kind of ludicrous.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
ASC isn't broken at all. Look at the frame data. Its basically makes all moves have 17 frames of endlag. It barely makes a difference for tilts on shield (it makes all jabs but the last). I probably should double check all this... Pretty sure. In general its almost always better to cancel into another move.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
ASC isn't broken at all. Look at the frame data. Its basically makes all moves have 17 frames of endlag. It barely makes a difference for tilts on shield (it makes all jabs but the last). I probably should double check all this... Pretty sure. In general its almost always better to cancel into another move.
Making all your moves a standard amount of lag after generating a hit is pretty nifty. Marth would kill to have that at lower % when he hits someone with the early part of his Fair

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Lucario will probably see some nerfs, yes, but I wouldn't correlate where Strongbad puts a character on his tier list to how severe of a nerf that character is going to receive. That is kind of ludicrous.
I think that's a fair assumption considering he has significant influence on development.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Making all your moves a standard amount of lag after generating a hit is pretty nifty. Marth would kill to have that at lower % when he hits someone with the early part of his Fair
But if we are talking combos, he has much better ones by going into new moves. I was responding into its use for shield pressure.

Foo

Smash Lord
Lucario is one of the few characters on my list whose placing is significantly up in the air. He could be ~Falcon level on my list, it is uncertain. Lucario's matchup spread remains to be seen, partially because the best Lucario lives in an area that never uploads videos. I remain unconvinced of his supposedly "poor matchups" because there's rarely data to back them up in either way.
Just gonna put this quote out there. Especially since it's not a full patch, it could really go either way.

(Also, **** all you guys. On all of my really thought out high effort posts I'm lucky if I get one like. However, I literally just post the goddamn fox smily and it gets 15 ****ing likes like **** I am not sure if I've gotten that many goddamn likes on any of my other ****ing posts all for posting a ****ty ****ing fox smily with no thought or effort **** all of you. ****)

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Well either way if it's not this patch, when 4.0 comes out it seems he's almost guaranteed to get nerfed hard. I feel there's no point learning his tech than since it might not even be possible in later releases.

Idostuff

Smash Apprentice
Well either way if it's not this patch, when 4.0 comes out it seems he's almost guaranteed to get nerfed hard. I feel there's no point learning his tech than since it might not even be possible in later releases.
First of all, that is a pretty crappy attitude to have about a character and this game in general. Secondly, any changes made to character at this point will be affecting minor attributes of their strength and frame data. Any tech you learn now will almost always be the same in a later patch, or only have minor changes that are easy to adjust to.

specifically to Lucario, if he gets nerfed at all, it will probably be something along the lines of removing the invincibility from his down-b cancel once he starts his attack. Not removing tech all together

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
I doubt anyone is gonna get major nerfs anymore after what 3.5 did to everyone. The only character I can see getting "majorly" nerfed is G&W since he plays like he's from 3.02 lol. Unless he's supposed to be like this??

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
First of all, that is a pretty crappy attitude to have about a character and this game in general. Secondly, any changes made to character at this point will be affecting minor attributes of their strength and frame data. Any tech you learn now will almost always be the same in a later patch, or only have minor changes that are easy to adjust to.

specifically to Lucario, if he gets nerfed at all, it will probably be something along the lines of removing the invincibility from his down-b cancel once he starts his attack. Not removing tech all together
It's called being smart. Why invest 100s, for some 1000s of hours into a character that might become either obsolete or drastically different soon?

Especially when a Melee player can come along and do much better than you because their character(s) didn't/do not get changed nearly as much?

I think it's pretty telling when top Melee players that don't care about or play the game end up doing extremely well, better than nearly all actual dedicated PM players.

With that said maybe they'll actually nerf Fox hard this time, we'll see.

Last edited:

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
It's called being smart. Why invest 100s, for some 1000s of hours into a character that might become either obsolete or drastically different soon?

Especially when a Melee player can come along and do much better than you because their character(s) didn't/do not get changed nearly as much?

I think it's pretty telling when top Melee players that don't care about or play the game end up doing extremely well, better than nearly all actual dedicated PM players.

With that said maybe they'll actually nerf Fox hard this time, we'll see.
Though your point is fair, it still is a very poor attitude to have towards the game. If you are that worried about the changes coming in future patches then your solution is pretty simple: don't play brawl characters. If you are worried your time will be lost or your character will be obsolete then don't spend time on a brawl character. It's as simple as that. If you look at players like Junebug, who stuck to their character through the patch and adapted, who are still top PM players in the current meta show it's not an impossible feat. It can be done you need the right mindset, which is apparent you don't have.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Fox is what drives people to actually get better and think smarter. He should receive no nerfs or buffs

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Though your point is fair, it still is a very poor attitude to have towards the game. If you are that worried about the changes coming in future patches then your solution is pretty simple: don't play brawl characters. If you are worried your time will be lost or your character will be obsolete then don't spend time on a brawl character. It's as simple as that. If you look at players like Junebug, who stuck to their character through the patch and adapted, who are still top PM players in the current meta show it's not an impossible feat. It can be done you need the right mindset, which is apparent you don't have.

There are more examples of notable players that fell after major nerfs (such as with Lucas) than the opposite.

That's what I'm getting at. Brawl characters especially the percieved strong ones tend to get bigger changes in PM than Melee characters. And if the solution is just to play Melee characters....why are we playing PM again?

The most recent PM tourny I saw had Puff and Falco in GFs (the MVG one).

PM is in a very odd position right now. If they make Brawl characters strong, people complain it doesn't reward Melee fundamentals enough. If they make Melee characters the strongest then it just becomes Melee.

It will be interesting to see how they approach balance with this in mind.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
The most recent mvg tournaments grand finale also had a player who didn't even get top 16 at aftershock. That tournament wasn't cream of the crop pm players. Save for probably ipk, hbox, and Axe, who also quit mid tournament.

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
I think brawl characters are starting to do well against melee characters in my eyes for example aftershock, it's just that brawl characters have some untapped potential and we are seeing this now. I don't think buffs are needed to the brawl characters (maybe a little buff) and melee characters don't need a nerf (except Fox, moreso on the recovery aspect).

Another question, what do you think about Snake in 3.5? Do you think he needs changes? I think the port priority thing with his grenades or mines is pretty wack. Other than that I think he's pretty fair (except maybe f-smash because it's redundant right now)

Rizner

Smash Ace

People said the same thing during 3.02, and I got bodied for believing them.

At this point it should still be understood that everything is possible to change. No guarantees have been made, and any that will be don't mean much until development is called compete

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
so when salty texas players say "there was no good pm players at this tournament", they just mean "we didn't have sethlon there so it's invalid", right

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Come back and tell me this with a straight face after IPK carries you to the top of dreamland because of ASC

D

Deleted member

so when salty texas players say "there was no good pm players at this tournament", they just mean "we didn't have sethlon there so it's invalid", right
yes that is the literal translation

edit: ASC is definitely broken, but i dont think its too good. simply breaking gameplay while not showing any meaningful degeneracy is fine imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What tourney

Actual Texan accent would make it sound like "Dadgummit this rodeo ain't nuthin but a steamin' Cow pie if there ain't no Boss Hog around!"

(Quote by PlateProp that got eaten) - Something Dreamland off the top
Edit #2

Come back and tell me this with a straight face after IPK carries you to the top of dreamland because of ASC
To be fair, he probably meant how ASC is applied when the opponent is grounded, where his statements are much more accurate

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Edit: Hmm Smashboards ate my edit, oops DP

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It's 16 frames endlag. Which is barely anything.
Sheik's ftilt has over 20 frames depending on what frame hitbox lands
ROB's dthrow has 17 frames endlag
ROB's strong hit of fair has 23-24
ROB's JAB1 has 15-17 depending on what frame hits (this is actually kinda below average depending on whose jab you look at)
obviously I mostly know ROB ones off the top of my head
ASC is more akin to giving everything jab endlag (on-hit) which is kinda absurd
Not to mention aura sphere charge has hitbox frame 3. So it's basically jab endlag with another jab hitbox (or multiple repeating ones) thrown in there because **** you. Plus at the same time you can use it to charge your projectile if you delay slightly. And you can use it to improve his bad aerial mobility.

Last edited:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I think that's a fair assumption considering he has significant influence on development.
You vastly overestimate the influence one person has in development.

Just because Strong Bad is vocal/prominent outside the development team, doesn't mean he's steering the ship or anything. Far from it.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
You vastly overestimate the influence one person has in development.

Just because Strong Bad is vocal/prominent outside the development team, doesn't mean he's steering the ship or anything. Far from it.
C'mon, man. You didn't need to shatter the illusion so harshly.

Everything's still strong bad's fault in my heart.

Top Bottom