• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
CC functions as a mechanic exactly the same as Melee, and Roy's CC and dtilt haven't specifically been changed either. When you hear people saying CC is improved they're referring to (if they're correct) more characters having meaningful ground options to use out of it.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
If you can't actually deal with CC dtilt you couldn't deal with Roy in Melee so...
PM Roy dtilt is a lot better than melee.
pm Roy also has actual followups from dtilt, unlike melee.
I never said it couldn't be dealt with, that doesn't mean its not silly and really good. I wasn't even complaining about Roy lol.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
its the same, its just more of the cast has a weight+gravity which makes it useful

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
PM Roy dtilt is a lot better than melee.
I never said it couldn't be dealt with, that doesn't mean its not silly and really good. I wasn't even complaining about Roy lol.
Frame-wise and KB-wise, dtilt is unchanged. I guess the hitbox could be better but as I'm comparing the two it looks unchanged there as well. Followups are definitely stronger now, although in Melee it wasn't so much that dtilt didn't set up into things, as much as moves like fair being subpar at continuing the strings dtilt began (unless they fell fast enough to follow up w/ ground options).

To sum up my thoughts, I just find it kind of funny that back in Melee all the Roy mains are still going "well, we've got dtilt, that's one reason to not switch to Marth, right?" and then in PM the newest fad is suddenly "Roy's dtilt literally renders all other statistical weakness irrelevant on a macro level," which is possible, but it runs a lot deeper than objective goodness or subjective silliness. I've got plenty of other thoughts on that subject but I won't chase it.

At any rate, I'm not trying to bite your head off or anything, and I didn't think you were complaining about Roy from a standpoint of personal difficulty.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I play diddy and fox, I can't complain about characters having silly traits

Except sonic and lucario, **** them

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
its the same, its just more of the cast has a weight+gravity which makes it useful
I've heard that gravity is virtually irrelevant because you are only in the air for 1 frame when asdi makes you land. Which seems to make sense though I don't have a solid source to back that up.

steelguttey

mei is bei
srsly the new zelda is ****ing stupid she gets follow ups from nothing. only real issues are only good oos option is usmash and thats laggy and too high

her new side b might be better than her old one **** is amazing

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Frame-wise and KB-wise, dtilt is unchanged. I guess the hitbox could be better but as I'm comparing the two it looks unchanged there as well. Followups are definitely stronger now, although in Melee it wasn't so much that dtilt didn't set up into things, as much as moves like fair being subpar at continuing the strings dtilt began (unless they fell fast enough to follow up w/ ground options).
the tip has +20 BKB compared to Melee, all else equal.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I think DDD is the best character in the game, DDD players are just bad

Why aren't they picking the Waddle Doo Assist? Its a beam assist, beam assists are top tier.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
D3 is fun af to watch, and everything ripple does makes sense, but I don't understand how to play him at all. I get in game and it's all, 'durrr what doez green butan do?'

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
neutral walling is not easy to understand at all and its basically taken me a full year to get it down even with my level of experience

Last edited:

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
DDD's RAR game is hilarious. He runs so slowly but suddenly just teleports a whole body length with his run turnaround animation. Makes for some pretty great JC grabs or early fair against approaches, or an occasional bair/nair/dair in niche situations. I wouldn't call it the crux of his game by any means but its fun to use out of ignorance to his other stuff when I end up playing him in randoms or something.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Ehh
Melee Roy had really good follow ups on dtilt
Fsmash/grab on low % spacies, fair -> fsmash/grab on low percent semi FFers, nair/nB at mid-high percents
(God help you if you have to follow it up with fair though. The "dtilt -> fair -> try not to get punished on hit" struggle is real)

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I like the part in PM where, Roy's game is Dtilt -> Be a vastly superior character to his Melee version.

And at the end of the day, that's all that really matters.

D

Deleted member

Ehh
Melee Roy had really good follow ups on dtilt
Fsmash/grab on low % spacies, fair -> fsmash/grab on low percent semi FFers, nair/nB at mid-high percents
(God help you if you have to follow it up with fair though. The "dtilt -> fair -> try not to get punished on hit" struggle is real)
delay the fair and l cancel into side b

thank me later

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
well, l-cancelling didn't really help roy's advantage on hit game so....

jtm94

Smash Lord
Talking about Roy in melee is soooooo good.

So Project M.... Is Samus actually good or only on paper? Because she haunts my dreams almost like Sheik.
I saw this man Chevy tear up Anther and the entire Netplay bracket with Samus, and other than ESAM that's the only time I've seen the character win in PM. Her recovery is sooooo good.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Samus has a stricly worse recovery than she did in melee, without wall tethers for mixups it's extremely linear.
I used to think samus was sleeper op but I don't think she's anything special anymore. Her on stage game is still pretty strong though, and she deals with pressure well.

Foo

Smash Lord

So Project M.... Is Samus actually good or only on paper? Because she haunts my dreams almost like Sheik.
I saw this man Chevy tear up Anther and the entire Netplay bracket with Samus, and other than ESAM that's the only time I've seen the character win in PM. Her recovery is sooooo good.
She's a MASSIVE noobslayer imo. It's very easy to be successful with her, especially at lower levels of play. Just spam missiles and if your opponent happens to get close enough to punish you, hold down and mash C-stick and now your opponent is offstage and facing the wrong way. If they do land a solid hit on you, mash A to keep them from comboing you.

At top level play, this doesn't work because excellent punish games is what separates good and great players. However, before that point, it seems nearly impossible to punish samus for extemely easy and brainless options.

However, all that being said, she's still definitely high tier. She just has too many good tools, is really hard to combo, is really safe etc. Nothing to get excited over, she kinda fills the same spot as link did in 3.02.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Samus has a stricly worse recovery than she did in melee, without wall tethers for mixups it's extremely linear.
I used to think samus was sleeper op but I don't think she's anything special anymore. Her on stage game is still pretty strong though, and she deals with pressure well.
If there's a stage with a wall she can pretty much always make it to that wall via bombs and then she can wall jump b-reverse stuff kind of like Lucario to climb walls. That's definitely really good along with her tether still being extraordinarily far and her extreme weight.

Her tether also seeks edge now making her recovery better on stages like Battlefield in PM because grabbing walls on that stage is null. Same with Smashville. Saying it's strictly worse is a reach, and even if it is it's so good that I deem any loss to her recovery necessary.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No one fills the spot that Link used to. As proof, people actually *like* Samus

Chevy

Smash Ace
Her recovery is worse, but not strictly. I'm fairly certain that you can get farther off of max distance bomb jumps. And if she can get to a wall, the b-reverse charge shot climb let's her gain nearly infinite height if performed properly. That said, I don't know for sure where I'd place her. I see everyone putting her at like number 2 next to Fox, and I can't agree with that. She has a handful of pretty bad matchups that I think will always keep her out of top tier. I'd say at the lowest she's high-mid though.

Foo

Smash Lord
No one fills the spot that Link used to. As proof, people actually *like* Samus
I meant on the tier list. About the same spot, similar playstyle and stuff like that. I'm not saying she's the same as 3.02 link. Not that it's relevant to my point, but I despise Samus. I think she's cancer outside of high level competitive play.

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689

Aye man he didn't tear up Anther, ma boy was rusty from playing dat smash 4.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Her recovery is worse, but not strictly. I'm fairly certain that you can get farther off of max distance bomb jumps. And if she can get to a wall, the b-reverse charge shot climb let's her gain nearly infinite height if performed properly. That said, I don't know for sure where I'd place her. I see everyone putting her at like number 2 next to Fox, and I can't agree with that. She has a handful of pretty bad matchups that I think will always keep her out of top tier. I'd say at the lowest she's high-mid though.
Speak of the devil..
What are Samus' MUs looking like now?
No way I'd place her 2nd, that's reserved for Sheik. Her movement still isn't good, and that's why people say Zelda is bad *jokes*

Aye man he didn't tear up Anther, ma boy was rusty from playing dat smash 4.
He plays that game.... He got tore up even more then.
Must have been trying to perfect pivot too hard.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Speak of the devil..
What are Samus' MUs looking like now?
No way I'd place her 2nd, that's reserved for Sheik. Her movement still isn't good, and that's why people say Zelda is bad *jokes
I'ts hard to say, I don't get to play a lot of different top level players. The only matchups that I really find to be easy are Bowser, DK, Gandondorf, and Charizard. Bowser is a little harder in 3.5 with his mobility buffs, and he can still kill her off of one dash attack or Koopa Klaw above 40 percent, without good DI. She still definitely wins the matchup, but it's not completely free. I think she beats Kirby, Ness, and GnW, but you have to camp them out and never let them in, because they can all combo Samus pretty well. Meanwhile, she has a bad time with Marth, Toon Link, and maybe Ike. Mewtwo is still bad, and R.O.B. is absolutely atrocious. I also don't like Mario or Zelda but I'm more willing to believe it's my own incompetence at dealing with them. She does alright against spacies, probably close to even on either end. I feel like she probably slightly beats or goes even with just about everyone else on virtue of being a solid character all around.

Let me reiterate that I don't really have enough good matchup experience with the majority of the roster to make super informed observations, I guess it's just speculation.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I think that Mario still beats Samus probably. It wasn't the easiest MU in Melee either, or so I have heard.

Not entirely sure about GnW vs Samus. This is not a MU I have much experience in.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think that Mario still beats Samus probably. It wasn't the easiest MU in Melee either, or so I have heard.

Not entirely sure about GnW vs Samus. This is not a MU I have much experience in.
feels awful for G&W from what i've played of it
let me bucket missiles i promise it'll be fun

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Speaking of GnW, his bucket kinda breaks doubles now, doesn't it
Like fox fills it stupid quick with lasers, which now does the same damage as three of any other bucketed projectile
GnW already had isolated instances of questionable design, especially the RNG kill move and frame 1 escape option/recovery move/combo extender and starter. And then I guess instead of fixing bucket's odd properties they just made it stupid for all projectiles of a certain kind and kept it useless for the rest. Not that he's an exceptionally good character outside those things, it's just weird they haven't been addressed for the sake of consistent or good design like 99% of the other things that are changed in the game.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It's also weird how they haven't addressed the frame 1 hitbox that is JCable a couple frames later that is also an escape option, pressure option, combo starter, combo extender, recovery staller, and reflector.

But we don't talk about that. BcuzMelee

Top Bottom