• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Pit is not top tier in 2.5, low high to high mid? I could agree with that, and stand behind it but definitely not top.

B.W.

Smash Champion
wtf are you talkin about? the tier list is like

Pit Tier
:pit:
SSSonic Tier
:sonic:
SSpacies Tier
:fox: :falcomelee:
When's Marvel? Tier
:lucario:
Bottom Tier
Everyone Else
Non-existant Tier
:popo: :kirby2: :metaknight: :olimar: :pt: :samus2: :sheilda: :yoshi2: :mewtwomelee: :pichumelee:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Pit is pretty clearly a high mid tier or low high tier given the potential he's shown in a vacuum, but at the same time has had hardly any tournament present whatsoever. While Pit himself is a good character and can do several things well that others cannot, I've become a bit disillusioned with Pit as time has gone on. There's only so many times you can dair to u-smash to u-air out of shield and think "that's such an easy punish and set up so easily for more" before realizing other characters can deal as much damage and create the same setups even easier.

But it also might be that Pit requires quite a bit more finesse than the usual character; you can't just spam tech skill with him and spacing his moves perfectly on a prepared opponent still means Pit gets punished. You've gotta play Pit like a Brawl character or Peach in Melee. Wait patiently out of zone, attack when the opponent lets you, and then don't drop a beat.

I can, however, see his edgeguarding game becoming one of the best if not the best in the entire game once people figure him out entirely though. With the arrow's hitstun and ease of use and the fact that a simple arrow -> fair is death for the majority of the cast, I can't see too many people getting back to the stage.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
But it also might be that Pit requires quite a bit more finesse than the usual character; you can't just spam tech skill with him and spacing his moves perfectly on a prepared opponent still means Pit gets punished. .
I disagree

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
You mention playing like Peach in melee. How do you, and all others feel about Peach in this game.

D

Deleted member

peach is super fun awesome perfect in this game. peach is so well done that playing only her in only this game completely validates the entire smash franchise. she's just perfect and really good and one of the most fun characters to play with/against by far.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Peach is one of the few characters I consider perfect in design. She has weaknesses, strengths, a variety of ways to play, and most of her "wow that was awesome" stuff requires setup or an opponent's mistake rather than just straight up tech skill. I like Peach.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Link can do this with bombs if they hit someones shield. Makes for hilarious shield pressure.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
So basically what we're saying is that everyone can do it as long as the item doesn't shatter on shield (like ROB's gyro)? Glad we got that cleared up.

t3chn0g0at

Smash Cadet
Jiggs is doing significantly worse these days. If everyone has more range and better recoveries, what the hell does Jiggs have left?

t3chn0g0at

Smash Cadet
Y'all are just haters. But really, I don't think rest makes up for her noticeable disadvantages in some matchups.

MVP

Smash Ace
Another thing that makes jiggs less of a threat in pm than in melee, is that everyone in pm has a monster recovery. That coupled with better stage selection, jiggs struggles a lot more now

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Also the fact that when you imagine who she should be good against (see: Bowser, DK, other fatties) you find that her abilities are no longer so overwhelming even in matchups she used to dominate.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Does jiggs have that much trouble? Or did you always like them both and like Peach enough to be worth it?

Vashimus

Smash Master
I always played better as floaties in general, but Peach is just less boring to play as than Jiggs, and winning with her seems more rewarding. In terms of fun, I've been playing Charizard a lot lately and he's a blast, but Peach will definitely be my new "serious" character. At least until Miss Aran suits back up.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I'm curious what they do to Samus in this game. Peach is really fun, surprised a Jiggs main even thinks she is boring to play.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Jiggs is boring to play as, there's no doubt about that.

Sometimes, we just play characters that help us win, even if we don't really like playing as them, since everyone else is choosing the best characters to play as well in a competitive setting. That was the main thing I didn't like about Melee. Now that PM has a more viable cast that offer unique and enjoyable playstyles, I see no reason to tug around Jiggs, and decided to experiment.

t3chn0g0at

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one that finds Jiggs incredibly fun to play? I'm a melee Sheik main, but Jiggs is some of the most fun I've had in smash.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Am I the only one that finds Jiggs incredibly fun to play? I'm a melee Sheik main, but Jiggs is some of the most fun I've had in smash.
Most people that enjoy Jiggs have some knowledge of how to play her, which allows them a different kind of "fun".

A lot of people that talk about how good Melee is really aren't concerned with how good of a competitive game it is but rather how fun it is. As in actually fun pressing the buttons.

Jigglypuff requires slower, more precise movements compared to someone like Fox who can have fast, sloppy movements. Nair shine is super is easy to do and you don't really have to space the nair at all 90% of the time. Jiggs bairing someone shield? You have to space it precisely and to do otherwise causes you to be punished.

This is frustrating and is one of the hardest issues people have with a game like Brawl. The process of slowly and carefully (in comparison) planning and executing your attack and making a minor mistake only to be punished for it and, even on success, receiving returns that aren't as "awesome" or flashy... it's a frustrating experience.

Compare that to Fox or Falco who have hordes of players who just spam the same tech over and over and over again. This disappears at higher levels of play for the most part (where people start thinking deeply and exposing actual depth), but for most? They just want to press buttons really, really fast. When they hit someone, they want to be able to hit them again by pressing buttons really, really fast. They want a hit to connect to another hit, so on and so forth.

Jigglypuff has a few fun moments but by Jiggs' very nature her baseline isn't very "fun" and the possibility of being punished as Jiggs is tremendous. It is incredibly frustrating for a Jiggs player to be playing against a Marth and then randomly getting tippered because the Marth threw out an f-smash when you just held towards him just a bit too long.

This is all compounded when people don't actually know Jiggs. Good Jiggs players can turn many situations into combos that, while not always flashy, are effective... but that takes a lot of work that a lot of people don't want to do because, ya know, slow and floaty and light.

TL;DR

If you're playing Marth, the Mew2King d-throw to jabbing illusion to falling over-b to jumping fair/up+b gimp

is more fun than

playing Marth and d-throwing Captain Falcon and d-tilting over and over and over again

and a lot of Jiggs, is the 2nd one

Top Bottom