• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
3.5 can be good for her.

Wait were in 3.0. Sheik isn't definitelybad, but nope at top 10. Pretty much every top tier has guaranteed follow ups out of a certain move that sets up combos, KOs, all that good stuff. Mewtwo has tilts/up throw/fair. Sonic has spindash. Wolf has shine. Fox has shine. MK has down throw and up air and down air at times. Lucas has shine PK Magnet. Lucario has Extreme Speed (when cancelled with an aura charge) at the BARE MINIMUM (practically every move of his is a combo tool/KO setup lol).

What does Sheik rely on? Incorrect DI. Not guaranteed. She plays a guessing game, the tops get free follow ups.
Yeah Sheik is good but other characters are just way better at everything.

Also nitpick: it's Psi Magnet not PK Magnet.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
Due to community response I have put Sonic one tier higher. I've also placed G&W into the "A Bit Lacking" tier. I am not sure if this is exactly where he fits so it's really more of a guess than anything.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Idonno what "top" spacies and lucases you're handling, but it's not like she has a good time with them in melee and pm isn't much different.
I can't even touch good lucases with her.

PS her neutral game is good because she can nullify a lot of options in neutral to get an advantage, like how bowser nullifies 'some' falco stuff in neutral, but she doesn't give any characters a hard time in neutral. It's up to them to give her a hard time, and up to her to nullify that. Neutral isn't her strength so much as she's just a beast at nullifying the advantages characters usually have. Unfortunately the usual PM character is brokeandjank lol
Sheik can crawl now. That alone is huge in sheik favor vs spacies compared to melee. Im not saying sheik beats them free. But its no where near as hard as it was in melee.

Mewtwo mk sonic and link gives sheik far more problems then spacies

Last edited:

Jiggle4Life

Smash Ace
Why is it when someone gets good, nobody can accept the player might be good, but tell him that his character is broken. this needs a fix

Last edited:

Jiggle4Life

Smash Ace
please for the love of god punctuate
lol sorry I typed it out on my phone fixed now :p
I went and scrolled through the last page and didn't see anyone saying that. The **** you talking about
im basically saying that for the entire thread, the whole thing is stupid to me.(this is just my opinion)
it is just a big argument for absolutely no reason at all

1FD

Smash Ace
^jiggle4life drugs confirmed

Sheik is one of the toughest characters to use in melee because of that whole -not really being in control but kind of- thing and it's harder in pm. She's still boss, but i think wolf and a few others take the champions-of-stalemating-smash title from her now.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
^jiggle4life drugs confirmed

Sheik is one of the toughest characters to use in melee because of that whole -not really being in control but kind of- thing and it's harder in pm. She's still boss, but i think wolf and a few others take the champions-of-stalemating-smash title from her now.
Ivy completely takes that crown now. If any character FORCES you to play at their tempo/speed its Ivy.

Poor poor sheik. I still love her though. .(sry for double posts. Im on my phone)

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
3.5 can be good for her.

Wait were in 3.0. Sheik isn't definitelybad, but nope at top 10. Pretty much every top tier has guaranteed follow ups out of a certain move that sets up combos, KOs, all that good stuff. Mewtwo has tilts/up throw/fair. Sonic has spindash. Wolf has shine. Fox has shine. MK has down throw and up air and down air at times. Lucas has shine PK Magnet. Lucario has Extreme Speed (when cancelled with an aura charge) at the BARE MINIMUM (practically every move of his is a combo tool/KO setup lol).

What does Sheik rely on? Incorrect DI. Not guaranteed. She plays a guessing game, the tops get free follow ups.
You're acting like Sheik doesn't have easy setups from stuff like tilts, jabs, land canceled needles, and soft aerials. Or that she isn't one of the few characters in the game capable of edgeguarding a majority of the cast with reliable ways to get the opponent offstage and into a bad position.
Okay, her throw game is nerfed to no longer have guaranteed setups on most of the cast, but it still sets up for edgeguards and techchases... and she's still of great at both of those.

Eionio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0232-9517-9180
From what I have seen at tournaments I think the list goes something like

S::mewtwopm::diddy::fox::pit:
A::mario2::lucas::ivysaur::sonic::metaknight::link2:
B::falco::squirtle::wolf::zelda::pikachu2::samus2::wario::lucario::ness2::gw::charizard:
C::dedede::dk2::zerosuitsamus::toonlink::luigi2::ike::falcon::ganondorf::roypm::marth:
D::rob::peach::snake::yoshi2::sheik::olimar::kirby2:
F::bowser2::popo::jigglypuff:

I think that MewTwo Pit Diddy and Fox are the strongest characters in the game right now based on tournament results and my own personal struggles against them. I think Mario is right outside the the top though.

Project M meta is always changing plus with the new version this could totally change on me. So really anyone within the B-D section of the list could be moved around but this is just from what I have faced and what I have seen.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Why is it when someone gets good, nobody can accept the player might be good, but tell him that his character is broken. this needs a fix
It seems to me like people undervalue their own characters and overvalue other's characters, especially when they struggle against those characters. Even top level players sometimes do this. Basically, it boils down to a key difference between Melee and P:M. In Melee, if you struggled against a certain character, the only solution was to practice and play smart and get better, while in Project M, you can invest tons of time into figuring out how to counter a character, or you can try to beg the PMDT to "fix" it. Additionally, since P:M has not been officially released, there are genuine balance concerns mixed in among people complaining for no good reason. I think once the final version of the game (4.0 I believe) is released and further development slows, you'll see people stop complaining as much and there might actually be discussion of how to beat characters rather than simply going on for pages about how such and so character is broken and what the PMDT needs to do to fix it.

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
It blows my mind that people think Sheik is bad.

As for Jiggly, her sing can't be buffed so long as she has rest.
That's not true. I think it should go through shields as a sort of mixup. It won't be broken because if she misses she gets punished (just roll away). Even with that she still won't be THAT good.

B::falco::squirtle::wolf::zelda::pikachu2::samus2::wario::lucario::ness2::gw::charizard:
C::dedede::dk2::zerosuitsamus::toonlink::luigi2::ike::falcon::ganondorf::roypm::marth:

I think that MewTwo Pit Diddy and Fox are the strongest characters in the game right now based on tournament results and my own personal struggles against them. I think Mario is right outside the the top though.

Project M meta is always changing plus with the new version this could totally change on me. So really anyone within the B-D section of the list could be moved around but this is just from what I have faced and what I have seen.
Falco is definitely still top tier and results prove that. He literally has perfect neutral. Who cares about the bad recovery when it's insanely hard to even grab or hit him.

Last edited:

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
Well, I for one have never seen a falco main make it to finals, and it's quite rare to see one in top 8.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
You're acting like Sheik doesn't have easy setups from stuff like tilts, jabs, land canceled needles, and soft aerials. Or that she isn't one of the few characters in the game capable of edgeguarding a majority of the cast with reliable ways to get the opponent offstage and into a bad position.
Okay, her throw game is nerfed to no longer have guaranteed setups on most of the cast, but it still sets up for edgeguards and techchases... and she's still of great at both of those.
Her edguarding skills are mostly negated when fighting almost anyone from the brawl cast though. 3.5 sheik is gonna be very interesting to see where she ends up with these recovery nerfs.

And while i don't think it's a bad thing sheik no longer has guaranteed setups. It does leave one to wonder why sheik doesn't yet characters with BETTER on stage game does. Allowing characters like Lucas/Sonic/Mario etc to have guaranteed kill setups ON TOP of having better neutral games(And better recoveries) just leaves a sour taste to me.

But off the sheik topic for a bit. I think Lucas is a better character then Pit. I just think Zero is a amazing player. Zero is making Pit look that good. Lucas makes the players look good. (Or i could just be salty about Lucas........ That's a very good possibility. Lol)

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
So here I am at ltc2 and I'm playing some really good players and question why anyone would play ddd anymore.

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman

this tier list makes me angry

Ace55

Smash Lord

Which of the chars below him is Ganon supposed to beat? Bowser, IC and possibly slightly Peach is all I can come up with.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
I still don't get how people aren't placing Sonic at the top 3.
A good sonic makes it so that hitting him is based entirely on predicting where the opponent will be, he's just that much faster then the rest of the cast and his mobility options go beyond the abilities of reaction time.

vgspud

Smash Rookie
I still don't get how people aren't placing Sonic at the top 3.
A good sonic makes it so that hitting him is based entirely on predicting where the opponent will be, he's just that much faster then the rest of the cast and his mobility options go beyond the abilities of reaction time.
I don't ever really play against Sonic, what would you say are some bad MUs?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I think that MewTwo Pit Diddy and Fox are the strongest characters in the game right now based on tournament results and my own personal struggles against them.
Cuz, you know... thats what makes a tier list. Nothing to do what the characters can do or anything.

D

Deleted member

Umbreon in 2008 said:
A tier list is a list of characters ranked best to worst in their likelihood to perform well in a tournament setting in the near future based on recent, relevant tournament results. We then separate characters at statistically significant gaps to be grouped with their relative equals, and those groupings are called "tiers". A tier list is, in essence, a "prediction" list as to how any given character will fare in a competitive setting. We naturally assume top level of play.

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman
With all respect, that's one philosophy you can adhere to during the creation of a tier list. But "assum[ing] top level of play" is at odds with "relevant tournament results". Assuming perfect play is theorycraft, which is a valid consideration w/r/t tier list formulation, and there's obviously more to creating a tier list than collecting tournament data and counting points to determine character placements.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Tier Lists shouldnt be based off of Tourney Results nearly as much as it does now. There are lots of flaws with that kind of thinking.

Example:
Say in Melee tons of people picked up Kirby/Pichu, so much to the point where GFs of every tournament were between a combo of those two. Would that then make the character like high/top tier? No. They still have very lacking tools compared to other characters.

If it was just a collection or prediction of what would be successful in a competitive setting at top level play... id say thats different than a "tier" list, more like a "popularity/prediction" list.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
I don't ever really play against Sonic, what would you say are some bad MUs?
Maybe Mario/Lucas since they can stop his ground game with projectiles if the Sonic is reckless, but edgeguarding and punishing wonky movements can just be borderline impossible.

As for matchups he wins... err... almost everything? I think if you don't have a projectile you lose horribly and even some projectile characters (EG Falco) a just annihilated as soon as Sonic gets in, he just punishes that hard.

He's low risk high reward, it's pretty extreme.

vgspud

Smash Rookie
Maybe Mario/Lucas since they can stop his ground game with projectiles if the Sonic is reckless, but edgeguarding and punishing wonky movements can just be borderline impossible.

As for matchups he wins... err... almost everything? I think if you don't have a projectile you lose horribly and even some projectile characters (EG Falco) a just annihilated as soon as Sonic gets in, he just punishes that hard.

He's low risk high reward, it's pretty extreme.
Hmm, good info, thanks. Know of any good Sonic vids I can watch?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Guys few things

If we're making tier lists based off results, Mario, Diddy and Pit are top 3 EAZY. Mewtwo has won like 1 or two tournaments, all by the same guy.

Whats the consensus on Kirby and Snake? Some people think Kirby is dominant, some like myself think he is nothing more than a bunch of gimmicks that won't work at the highest level of play. As for Snake, Professor Pro is off the charts. The character I know is not broken but he reminds me of space animals.He gets a hit and its a huge combo. Its kinda ridiculous. A good Snake can get a C4 stick, a chaingrab, and a zero to death combo in one interaction between his opponent via just a grab. The only thing I think sucks for Snake is his horrible susceptibility to well spaced shield pressure and his approach.

Also I wouldn't consider :samus2:top ten. She has all of these guys to deal with>>:mewtwopm::mario2::wolf::fox::metaknight::diddy::lucario::lucas::pit::sonic::link2::falco::ivysaur:

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
So going up against Armada isn't high level play?
Does Armada even own PM? I mean I remember Mew2King saying that in doubles, he felt that Armada was rusty as heck, and Armada hasn't won a PM tournament in a while after never losing one, and I don't think its because all of a sudden people are wayyy ahead of him in terms of skill.

Top Bottom