• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
i havent read all 400+ pages so idk if this has been discussed but does anyone else think that fox is no longer top tier in p:m?

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I have an argument with the PM online ladder people.

they are the only people I have ever seen to not have stage bans stay for an entire set.

what I mean is that if you ban FD and lose, you could pick FD on your cp assuming they don't ban it also. what are your thoughts on this matter?>
Isn't that how tournaments usually go?

Pretty sure that is how it works in the UK

Jacob29

Smash Ace
What difference does that make?

are there other ladder based systems that he is referring to?

metroid1117

Smash Master

they are the only people I have ever seen to not have stage bans stay for an entire set.

what I mean is that if you ban FD and lose, you could pick FD on your cp assuming they don't ban it also. what are your thoughts on this matter?>
Kind of off-topic from tier lists, but this issue came up on an EXPosure when I played against BLUX and he wanted to CP to FD on game 3 when he had banned it after winning game 1. Oro and Bobby ruled that banned stages cannot be picked by either player, regardless of who banned it. I'm inclined to agree, since it would stress the importance of game 1 in that, if the set goes to game 3, the winner of game 1 has the ability to counter-pick the opponent's character on two stages that were inaccessible during the opponent's counterpick.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Marth could do something like ban FD to ensure he gets to counterpick it later in the set. Pretty cheesey. DMG level cheese.
That's why banned stages should be banned from either player picking it, not just the opponent.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Actually I don't mind either system. If stage bans only apply to the opponent, then logically the opponent could ban the same stage as you, to prevent you from getting it. There are occasions where you might want a stage ONLY if you have the character pick advantage. If stage bans completely remove the stage, then you don't get to explore some of those scenarios.

I ban FD for my opponent. He doesn't want me to have character advantage on FD, so he bans it too. There's no way for me to "lock" FD by banning it and being able to play it later.

TL:DR

If stage bans only ban the stage for the opponent, 95% of these systems allow the opponent to ban the same stage to stop you from using. This covers any concerns about locking or artificially "saving" stages to be used as a CP later. I've played under experimental systems like that before, and they all allowed both players the same ban.

Last edited:

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Marth could do something like ban FD to ensure he gets to counterpick it later in the set. Pretty cheesey. DMG level cheese.
That's why banned stages should be banned from either player picking it, not just the opponent.
What? How would banning FD ensure he gets to CP it?

I must be getting something confused here.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ltc2 is using the system where bans are only for your opponent.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
What? How would banning FD ensure he gets to CP it?

I must be getting something confused here.
So that, if he wins game 1, he can possibly CP to FD without being hindered by DSR I assume.

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
No, his Dthrow is showing

AND IT'S BROKEN!

Edit: Ganon deserves a lower grabbing box. Same with Falcon. I wholly support them getting viable options against the very short/low characters. If you don't buff their grabs, then you'd have to get real funky with their tilts to handle them. Just make their grabs not totally suck: who cares if someone like Marth can't grab a ducking Jiggs/Kirby/G^W/etc? Maybe he doesn't need it but holy **** Ganon and Falcon do.
Can we please add Zelda to this list?

Give Bowser a bowser-sized rest, and Jiggs a flamethrower that she can use while WoP-ing.
I want to see this SO badly just for lulz

I-AGT a peanut while recovering.

Diddys be thinking they can harass with peanuts.
As a Zelda main, I appreciate the stupidly huge AGT I get off items meant to gimp me. It's almost a second up-b

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I would like the game to be as balanced as possible deep down inside I want Megman or Little Mac to be S-tier.
Wrong subforum.

Ganon deserves a lower grabbing box. Same with Falcon. I wholly support them getting viable options against the very short/low characters. If you don't buff their grabs, then you'd have to get real funky with their tilts to handle them. Just make their grabs not totally suck: who cares if someone like Marth can't grab a ducking Jiggs/Kirby/G^W/etc? Maybe he doesn't need it but holy **** Ganon and Falcon do.
Even for those guys, Marth (and a few others that deal with this) can just dash grab instead. Falcon and especially Ganondorf could definitely use some grab tweaks.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
do people really care this much about bans? i usually tell my opponent to take me wherever lol

EthralSSB

Smash Rookie
NNID
DJ_Ethral
3DS FC
4768-7597-3482
do people really care this much about bans? i usually tell my opponent to take me wherever lol
Same here, most people I play against want something cool and colourful anyway might as well let them pick or they'll be playing on Battlefield or FinalDestination and occasionally some Fountain of Dreams

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
My opponent will never be allowed to go to the stage they want. Only 3 bans? I disagree, I'm banning 12 stages. All gone. You can't have them, don't ask me if we can go somewhere.

Always turn them down. Always strike as many stages as you can. Don't laugh if you end up on PS2 anyways

Last edited:

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
My opponent will never be allowed to go to the stage they want. Only 3 bans? I disagree, I'm banning 12 stages. All gone. You can't have them, don't ask me if we can go somewhere.

Always turn them down. Always strike as many stages as you can. Don't laugh if you end up on PS2 anyways
turn down for what?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Wow, you sure are a cool, tough guy! Takin' advantage of me not knowing a thing off the top of my head. I bet you get all the respect and girls!
But i mean... it was kinda obvious. How did you think chaingrabs worked, did you think they were hitting the ground every time?

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Nearly all of the chaingrabs in the game work by grabbing someone out of the air. You should know that much, at least, but you shouldn't be shamed for not knowing. It's better to ask and learn than to stay ignorant.

Foo

Smash Lord
I'm sure we could talk about how surprising it is/isn't that you can grab people out of the air for days on end, but let's stop beating this dead horse before limbs stop falling off, eh? Well, I guess we should talk about something else then...

uhhhh... Tink, he's worst right? So... how about shine, huh? And recoveries... they're just too good... Oh, and Tink... he's actually pretty good, huh? STOP LOOKING AT ME!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

this used to be legal pre-2007 for melee, although it was not commonly used. But yeah I've banned stages to "protect" them for my own CP on game 3.

Kind of off-topic from tier lists, but this issue came up on an EXPosure when I played against BLUX and he wanted to CP to FD on game 3 when he had banned it after winning game 1. Oro and Bobby ruled that banned stages cannot be picked by either player, regardless of who banned it. I'm inclined to agree, since it would stress the importance of game 1 in that, if the set goes to game 3, the winner of game 1 has the ability to counter-pick the opponent's character on two stages that were inaccessible during the opponent's counterpick.
This is actually somewhat incorrect, since both players have the ability to ban the same stage. However, you should definitely clarify that beforehand just in case. As much as we try to standardize rulesets as a community, there are nuanced differences like this from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
The idea that you ban a stage to protect your own CP basically relies on your opponent assuming that a ban stage cannot be picked by either player, and thus not banning it themselves. Kind of :088:.
I just think it's overall cleaner and intuitive that a banned stage cannot be picked by either player.

Top Bottom