• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman
Nah man I can't agree, changing Pikachu to make him more brainless would be bad game design. If someone doesn't want to put in the time and effort to learn the character than so be it.

And people always say that's pikachu only seems good because he is played by good players, but I don't buy it at all. You can pull that excuse up for like every character. I think the best thing they can do is fix his grabs, dash attack, and maybe extend his grab range.

What I don't want to see is a spammy, cheap projectile, mindlessly easy combo's, and a bunch of other dumb buffs.
That is exactly what I mean by "make more brainless". Right now dash attack is 95% of the time an attack that basically says "I am a stupid noob punish me hard". Few characters have as many moves that are as situational and easy to punish if you throw it out at a slightly bad time. It's good that thunderjolt and thunder are like that, but his dash attack is toooo terrible for a move with basically no significant reward on hit anyways. Better grab range is the other huge thing that would help pika be more threatening and less kind of ****.

Also my point wasn't that he seems good because he's played by good players. My point was that he's played by exceptionally skilled players and STILL only seems pretty okay. I've watched Axe and Anther play quite a bit and even though I feel like they outplay their opponents almost every time based on reads and insane tech skill, they lose a lot and it seems like the character is letting them down, not vice-versa. Pika has some ****ing brutal matchups and doesn't really get the kind of reward from difficult QAC approaches and combos that characters like Marth or Sheik get for just running up and doing a CC something or other or landing a grab with their (respectable) grab ranges.

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Even though melee shine is a cool move, its also the most unfair single move to exist in any smash game, lol. Itd be cool if it worked like it did in 64 or some other smash game, but I guess a lot of peeps would be unhappy about that.
Mango mentioned making it do 0 damage which is a good change imo. It's more of a set up move. It doesn't need to do damage. Same for Falco's shine.

Bazkip

Smash Master
I was planning on tagging you in that post but then you went ahead and changed your name and ruined everything :<

In other news we're kinda getting off topic.
Let's talk about uh...Peach? Never really heard much discussion about her in PM.

My impression is that while she's still very solid, the crazy recoveries kinda make some of her strong points moot. So basically, she'll be relevant again in 3.5

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Onstage power creep is also worrisome for Peach. Bigger swords, better projectiles, faster characters, etc are not great for her.

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
yea. on of her main strengths in melee is having an item game but now everyone and their mother has one and hers is beat out by everyone else's so its hard for her. shes solid mid tier but not as good as she was in melee.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I think she's still relevant. Her gimping ability is almost as good as Mewtwo's, although she doesn't exactly shine onstage.
I don't see any need for changes to her yet though, it'd be better to change other characters and see how she does then.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
what do you mean everyone has item game

link, toon link, rob, peach, and diddy have item games

that's less than an eighth of the cast

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer

If you play against a character that uses items, wouldn't that technically mean that you can have an item game? Especially in ZSS' case vs Diddy with her godly glide toss.

steelguttey

mei is bei

basically what kay-b said. i meant that everyone has a ridiculous glide-toss and agt (not a bad thing exactly) and hers isnt as good as say squirtle's

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
lol hydrotossing is legit

anywho, I see , I misinterpreted what you meant

tons of characters can effectively counter items now, so yer right about that

you're right that peach's item game just isn't as good because of this

i don't really know how to balance this

she's got some pretty good agt to compensate at least

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
diddy, in the current version, is like a beefed up peach tbh

you can get TWO items off of your downb. AND they stay on the ground so people can trip on it. AND you have another projectile on top of that. A N D your recovery goes even further. (the variety of it is easily dismissed by the fact that RNG can save any "predictable" edgeguarding, so he doesn't even have that against him)

A
N
D

you have actual killing power instead of needing to rely on edgeguards, because everything you do converts into fair

peach has notable flaws, diddy's notable flaw is "is not as power-creep heavy as the other power-creep top tiers"

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I still think Falco is best character in this game. Besides his recovery what about him is bad? Being combo'd doesn't count I just mean in terms of design.
Have you seen the range on Falco's recovery? it's pitiful. Plus a lot of characters have moves that send you far, so the basic strategy is throw him over the ledge. Most of the time he won't be coming back. But he has a crazy onstage game tho.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Have you seen the range on Falco's recovery? it's pitiful. Plus a lot of characters have moves that send you far, so the basic strategy is throw him over the ledge. Most of the time he won't be coming back. But he has a crazy onstage game tho.
Besides that everything else is amazing. That's why I feel he's the best

steelguttey

mei is bei
if you ever say "besides that" in a nargument to convince people that your character is the best youre probably wrong

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Falco's grab game isn't that great. Falco is a high risk/high reward character, and even more so in PM where everyone can take a bite off of him.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
diddy, in the current version, is like a beefed up peach tbh

you can get TWO items off of your downb. AND they stay on the ground so people can trip on it. AND you have another projectile on top of that.
The banana also travels significantly faster and farther than Peach's projectile. Getting hit by the banana is also far more rewarding for Diddy.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Some of Falco's throws feel off in PM (Uthrow and Bthrow). I don't know if it's release points, how the lasers work, or how easy you can ASDI/SDI the lasers, but Uthrow in particular doesn't feel as shiggity.

A cool new option Spacies got is using Side B onstage (usually immediately after jumping), and grabbing the edge backwards right before they go into freefall. I'm still waiting for the day that they take advantage of RAR.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I'm still waiting on a falco player to acknowledge that DACUS and gatling combos exist

god forbid the kind of person who plays falco should learn new execution-heavy techskill, but y'know

steelguttey

mei is bei
his gatling combo isnt even good tho. his dash attack doesnt lead to his usmash like g dubs unless youre at really low percent and then its much better to just do a pillar combo anyway. gatling combos are good for easy punishes into usmash or combo finishes and falco's doesnt do either.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I sincerely feel like non-AGT character users don't practice AGT/wavedash item grabs enough or at all. It's easy with practice and really helps nullify some of the more dangerous projectiles like Tink's bombs and Diddy's bananas. Not that these two particular characters can't mix it up, but it definitely helps.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Thats exactly why every time someone asks me for tips against a certain character that can use items, one of the first things I tell them is to learn to catch *said item*. If you're good enough with it, it almost becomes useless.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
See guys, nerf Link. You can't grab his Boomerang.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I start throwing out wild attacks whenever ROB has a gyro in hand

Not because it's some optimal strategy, but because I hope it freaks them out and they throw it away in confusion

Number of times this masterful plan has succeeded: That's not really important, now is it

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman
I really hope Mario gets made less mindless. For example cape hitbox not lasting as long - such an easy edgeguard on some characters. I'd even be okay with a slightly bigger cape if it active frames were like halved (and its stalling properties nerfed slightly). Chain dthrows not being guaranteed on as many characters would make me happy. Maybe fireballs have higher hitstun but are less spammable/more punishable.

At the same time as a viewer I love seeing M2K or whoever punish the **** out of someone with a long ass chainthrow so I'm conflicted on that point. I don't really agree with the idea that the possibility of being put into a position with absolutely no options is bad game design. Some of my favorite fighting games include infinites and watching the meta develop around that is really interesting and I personally find it more hype than anything (MvC2 is awesome to watch IMO, same with wobbling ICs in melee). Unpopular opinion I know. Everyone's always pushing for more interactivity. But the threat of an infinite or at least long chaingrabs makes the interactivity in the neutral game so much more interesting and intense because of the stakes. High execution is a good barrier to keep though, cause even at the highest level of play everyone drops combos sometimes and that keeps it fresh.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Mario's Dthrow is "worse" in PM than Melee. They gave it higher scaling so that people could escape the CG sooner: same with Ganondorf iirc. They already partially addressed some of those "lulz" CGs

It's still really good obviously, but they are definitely aware of how unfun those throws can be and usually closely watch them

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Mario's Dthrow is "worse" in PM than Melee. They gave it higher scaling so that people could escape the CG sooner: same with Ganondorf iirc. They already partially addressed some of those "lulz" CGs

It's still really good obviously, but they are definitely aware of how unfun those throws can be and usually closely watch them
Any word on Pit?

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I'm still waiting on a falco player to acknowledge that DACUS and gatling combos exist

god forbid the kind of person who plays falco should learn new execution-heavy techskill, but y'know
RAR is honestly a godsend for Falco since he can actually do NEW combos with it. I think the gatling combo though kinda sucks though due to up smash being weaker than Brawl's. Dash attack shine/uptilt is usually the better option.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dash attack into holy batman Dair is my preferred way to shame someone

Mr.Random

Smash Ace

It's honestly better in PM since the higher scaling makes it easier to space your fair finisher or up air combos. Plus even if Mario wasn't good in Melee the 70% chaingrabs he had on certain character weren't fair at all like you said.

Vino.

Been Vino since 2007
Falco is a good character, but he's still so melee. His grab range is iffy, and terrible recovery. Good for melee, but not for PM.

Top Bottom