• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Bowser already has the bite hitbox :T
The bite hitbox sux. I would gladly change it out for IASA frames lol. But I could def seeing it working for Charizard, especially since it would make him even more combo orientated.

I would much rather see Fire Breath turned into Fire Ball though lol. Bowser is suppose to be more of an anti-approach character, which is fine, but it really becomes bad when you can't force an approach against a character with a projectile. That's something he could really use, a projectile to deal with other projectiles and force approaches.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
Still a ton of people arguing he's perfectly fine. Idk how anyone thinks that, but the bias runs pretty strong sometimes.
are we talking about his extreme vertical recovery? if so thats easy as hell to read and if you have a character with a good spike he's as good as gone.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Mewtwo's just a little too safe on some silly options. If he needs nerfs then they'd be pretty minor.

JOE!

Smash Hero
The bite hitbox sux. I would gladly change it out for IASA frames lol. But I could def seeing it working for Charizard, especially since it would make him even more combo orientated.

I would much rather see Fire Breath turned into Fire Ball though lol. Bowser is suppose to be more of an anti-approach character, which is fine, but it really becomes bad when you can't force an approach against a character with a projectile. That's something he could really use, a projectile to deal with other projectiles and force approaches.
Yeah, bowser rarely breathes fire anyways, he always has the fireballs in nearly every single appearance of his.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Still a ton of people arguing he's perfectly fine. Idk how anyone thinks that, but the bias runs pretty strong sometimes.
I'd argue that if fox is fine then it follows that mewtwo is fine (and so is every character in the game).

Therefore my stance is that neither of them are fine.

D

Deleted member

I'd argue that if fox is fine then it follows that mewtwo is fine (and so is every character in the game).

seriously if fox is fine the game is already final lol

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Still think character like Pit, Link, Mewtwo, Lucas, and Meta Knight are easily top ten characters. Their strengths far outweigh their weak points. This is mostly coming from experience, results, and what I've seen in top 8 videos.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I think a few key things could be done to those guys.
Mk tho, hold down and use projectiles.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
MK is small, fast, and has a move that gives him a high burst of speed downwards.

He has nothing to fear of projectiles when he can just avoid them. CCing also isn't a problem if the MK knows what they are doing.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Holding down is a good way to get grabbed I think

Also can somebody explain why ROB has a DACUS but no boost grab despite the two techs having overlapping windows. Like, he gets to transfer his dash attack momentum into an upsmash, but can't transfer it into a grab like a lot of characters can, like Ike/Sheik etc who have notable ones, even if he cancels it on the same frame that he can first do his DACUS. I'm pretty sure the cancel exists, but serves no purpose because he doesn't get additional momentum. I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing it wrong. Why?

Last edited:

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Holding down is a good way to get grabbed I think

Also can somebody explain why ROB has a DACUS but no boost grab despite the two techs having overlapping windows. Like, he gets to transfer his dash attack momentum into an upsmash, but can't transfer it into a grab like a lot of characters can, like Ike/Sheik etc who have notable ones, even if he cancels it on the same frame that he can first do his DACUS. I'm pretty sure the cancel exists, but serves no purpose because he doesn't get additional momentum. I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing it wrong. Why?
This is just a guess, but maybe it has something to do with z being shield + attack? I know that the window for dacus is 1 frame smaller if you use up grab instead of up attack for the up smash. For some it means that it's not possible to dacus with a grab button. Is that true for ROB?

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
and getting grabbed means getting tech chased, which means being hit with enough to make CC useless

I have been preaching meta knight since 2.6 and y'all still ain't enlightened
Yeah, imo Metaknight is top 7 at least.

Unrelated, but I really think Falco is super underrated as of late. @Umbreon why do you think he's worse in this game? Are there characters that counter his neutral game?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
This is just a guess, but maybe it has something to do with z being shield + attack? I know that the window for dacus is 1 frame smaller if you use up grab instead of up attack for the up smash. For some it means that it's not possible to dacus with a grab button. Is that true for ROB?
The DACUS window is one frame smaller using grab because it enables you to cancel into a grab that frame. Which ROB can do. ROB can also cancel into an upsmash that frame using attack to get a full length DACUS. My question is why can he cancel into a DACUS that frame and cover a lot of space but can't get that same momentum for canceling into a grab on that frame even though there are so many characters that can?

TreK

Is "that guy"
MU still favors Ivy at least 60:40. If Kirby touches you, you've messed up pretty bad. It's like fighting a strictly better Marth.
loooool
For a minute I forgot you were lurking in the shadows, searching for a perfect opportunity to complain about Ivysaur.

#InstantVineWhip

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I think a few key things could be done to those guys.
Mk tho, hold down and use projectiles.
MK had this weakness somewhat in Brawl but it doesn't affect good players. He is small, has excellent rolls and spot dodges, and good grab range.
Sorry double post :(

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace

Pretty sure almost every character at top level play can 0 to death Fox in this game, edgeguard him easily. You have to remember that balance should be counted for top level play only. The major reason Fox wins in PM despite the major nerfs is because the player is better, Pit wins because Armada is better, Wizzrobe wins with Sonic because he is better, M2K wins with Mewtwo because he is better, the list goes on.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Hold on, major nerfs?

Dude this Fox is still better than PAL Fox, who is absolutely amazing.
Major nerfs: Every character has death combos and major buffs to edgeguarding, lasers do less damage, shine trades with a lot more things, up b travels slightly less distance (unintentional).
Now don't get me wrong, Fox is good but he is perfectly balanced so far. He is character that is high risk high reward. You play perfect and don't make mistakes (impossible because humans :p) you'll be rewarded. If you watch CEO grand finals you'll see what I mean. People need to maximize their punish games like top level players do. If they can do it so can we. If you lose it is because you are not as good and need to improve. No johns. (Note this is not aimed at you but at biased players who aren't as good as high/top level players)

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Pretty sure almost every character at top level play can 0 to death Fox in this game, edgeguard him easily. You have to remember that balance should be counted for top level play only. The major reason Fox wins in PM despite the major nerfs is because the player is better, Pit wins because Armada is better, Wizzrobe wins with Sonic because he is better, M2K wins with Mewtwo because he is better, the list goes on.
Ok here's some truth. I am a top level player. Fox did not get "major nerfs". In fact he's easier to play in pm.

Also I thought we have already addressed the ridiculous dumbness of 0-deathing spacies, why are you bringing it up again as an argument?

I like how mewtwo has been as good as he has for a long time now and M2k has been beating people with him, but when someone else does it like emukiller (who beat him in dittos (what excuse do you have now?) he's suddenly too overpowered. It's not that event that makes the character too good. If you wanna look at bias, look at the people who seem to believe literally everything top players say and assume that unless the same people keep winning something is wrong.

I know for an absolute fact (since I play backroom builds still, and I will always have access believe me) that several characters are getting nerfed and who they are. If I still cared a lot about smash I would be seriously concerned about the fact that apparently getting good with characters while simultaneously being relatively unknown leads to your character getting nerfed out of ignorance. Since you chucked wizzrobe in your example I'll use him. I'm fairly certain after his performance with 2.5 Sonic at apex he was the main inspiration for the Sonic nerfs. Whether or not he deserved nerfs is a different question (he probably did but that's not my point), but you better believe had it been Armada or M2k using Sonic he might not have gotten nerfed at all. Not until Emukillers clone "Roadrunner" picked up Sonic and beat him in a ditto.

D

Deleted member

i would love to see a mid tier fox in this game. like 21st out of 41 mid tier

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
On the longrun, I am a bit concerned about balancing difficulties. One argument was made that if character X was easy to play and as good as Fox, in a real game situation he will always be better than him.
Well, some characters have other layers of difficulty besides APM and timing precision, but still not every character is as hard to play as another one.
With the metagame evolving, the harder characters will benefit while the easier won't that much and it gets imbalanced again.

As example, take Jiggs as an easy character (sorry for the prejudice I know that character needs especially spacing, patience, pattern recognition, reaction and awareness but I have to make an example) and Fox as hard character. Right now, Fox is the better character. Lets say we nerf Fox and buff Jiggs to a point they are as good as each other at the current state of metagame. Fox will benefit more from the metagame evolving and suddenly Jiggs needs buffs / Fox nerfs again. If we do it the other way, nerf Fox and buff Jiggs to an amount that they will be as good as each other in 20XX, Jiggs would be op now and Fox really bad.

No matter how good the PMBR balances the game if they don't find a way to make the difficulties even / cause the metagame of different characters to evolve at the same speed, that balance will destabilize soon.

Fox still needs a few little tweaks, but thats not the core of the problem.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Eli, can confirm lots of nerfs or not a lot of nerfs?
Lots of nerfs would make me happy, maybe ROB will finally be a relatively good character

Top Bottom