• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
First off, Vudujin one of Melee's best Luigis. You can't be underestimating Dakpo's opponent. Second, Dakpo is a top player from Texas's toughest region. Finally, I've already talked about why the faster dair would be either overcentralizing or worse than what he has now, so I won't repeat myself.
I know who Dakpo is (admittedly I did not know the other guy), but the fact remains that "one video of one of the best players of a character beating someone" does not prove that that character is totally fine. It wasn't even a domination or anything, it was just a solid match where he played well.

And yes, we discussed Dair, but your argument was that you thought Brawl Dair lacked a landing hitbox, but this is not the case. I also don't see how it would overly centralize his gameplay, it's a defensive option, and there's definitely ways to beat it. It's not like this would suddenly become the entirety of GW's approach or anything.

jtm94

Smash Lord
GnW could be better.

It's like the only buffs he really got were like... strength. So yeah he's more of a powerhouse now, he's just lacking and everyone I play against says he's incredible combo food, like.. just throw out moves and they probably combo on him. I just want like a tiny bit more hitbox on fair, dair, and utilt to be a tad more useful/faster instead of being so clunky.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I know who Dakpo is (admittedly I did not know the other guy), but the fact remains that "one video of one of the best players of a character beating someone" does not prove that that character is totally fine. It wasn't even a domination or anything, it was just a solid match where he played well.

And yes, we discussed Dair, but your argument was that you thought Brawl Dair lacked a landing hitbox, but this is not the case. I also don't see how it would overly centralize his gameplay, it's a defensive option, and there's definitely ways to beat it. It's not like this would suddenly become the entirety of GW's approach or anything.
I said Brawl dair could go two ways: It could be overcentralizing, or it could be bad. I said that the PMBR would probably have to change some aspects of dair to balance it. The landing hitbox might have to go, or maybe the meteor hitbox would have to be taken away, but the move couldn't just be sped up and pasted onto G&W. I would guess that the extra speed would force the PMBR to limit G&W's ability to maneuver through the air while he uses dair, which would relegate it to the defensive niche you seem to want. Currently dair is very flexible, as G&W has full maneuverability while he uses it. He can finish combos, start strings, and continue combos, which is what his character is all about. G&W is intensely combo-driven, not defensive. dair (and nair) fit into his current toolset, and altering or replacing it would damage his ability to kill early in favor of something else.

A note about nair: parachute is G&W's strongest aerial, and it's disjoint is significant enough to cover areas that fair does not. It's safer on shield than fair, and it occupies much more space than fair does. It's incredibly effective at finishing opponents once G&W has hit them with up-b, as it eats most attempts to escape through size. It's an excellent aerial, and it does not need to be replaced by a move as massive (and problematic) as tropical fish.

Here's Dakpo vs Lucas:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I said Brawl dair could go two ways: It could be overcentralizing, or it could be bad. I said that the PMBR would probably have to change some aspects of dair to balance it. The landing hitbox might have to go, or maybe the meteor hitbox would have to be taken away, but the move couldn't just be sped up and pasted onto G&W. I would guess that the extra speed would force the PMBR to limit G&W's ability to maneuver through the air while he uses dair, which would relegate it to the defensive niche you seem to want. Currently dair is very flexible, as G&W has full maneuverability while he uses it. He can finish combos, start strings, and continue combos, which is what his character is all about. G&W is intensely combo-driven, not defensive. dair (and nair) fit into his current toolset, and altering or replacing it would damage his ability to kill early in favor of something else.

A note about nair: parachute is G&W's strongest aerial, and it's disjoint is significant enough to cover areas that fair does not. It's safer on shield than fair, and it occupies much more space than fair does. It's incredibly effective at finishing opponents once G&W has hit them with up-b, as it eats most attempts to escape through size. It's an excellent aerial, and it does not need to be replaced by a move as massive (and problematic) as tropical fish.

Here's Dakpo vs Lucas:
Id prefer mgandw getting his defensive/offensive turtle hitboxes and have more space control than combo tools.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Why? Then he would be an inferior Sonic. He would tack on tons of damage without killing the opponent and die super fast. At the moment he can kill off a single hit. Without options he is just relegated to playing Brawl-esque poke and prod play with mediocre defensive tools.

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
Why does nobody put Sheilda or SoPo in their tier lists? SoPo is kind of understandable because he's a joke character and would just be Z tier every time, but Sheilda is a legitimate character(s) that nobody talks about despite the fact that she's allowed at tournies, and is basically a better version of 2 characters since you can play as those very different characters with very different matchups and playstyles and switch between them in the middle of a match to optimize the situation you're in. It makes a very interesting and useful character(s) that nobody gives the time of day.

...Or if you're Sheik and you hate Zelda you can just use it for a better recovery. But seriously guys, Sheilda even gets her very own smiley that people complain about because there isn't a Zelda one! :sheilda:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

shielda is just as much of a joke as sopo is. neither of them belong in a tier list.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Please, ban this IP address.
It's rather annoying now.

So, how about Zero Suit Samus?

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
Sheilda is stupid because while you're both characters at the same time technically, you don't have access to both characters moves on the fly. You always need a moment to switch between the two.

Like if you could be like Sheik Dash Attack > Transform > Zelda F-Air as a full string, then yeah. You'd be able to call the character "Sheilda." But you can't. If you're currently Sheik, then your matchups are Sheik vs matchups and if you transform to Zelda they become Zelda vs matchups.

You can transform between the two, but just because you start as Zelda and you change to Sheik it doesn't actually make Zelda any better, and that goes the same the other way.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Why does nobody put Sheilda or SoPo in their tier lists? SoPo is kind of understandable because he's a joke character and would just be Z tier every time, but Sheilda is a legitimate character(s) that nobody talks about despite the fact that she's allowed at tournies, and is basically a better version of 2 characters since you can play as those very different characters with very different matchups and playstyles and switch between them in the middle of a match to optimize the situation you're in. It makes a very interesting and useful character(s) that nobody gives the time of day.

...Or if you're Sheik and you hate Zelda you can just use it for a better recovery. But seriously guys, Sheilda even gets her very own smiley that people complain about because there isn't a Zelda one! :sheilda:
I wouldn't bring up Sheilda. People don't like that name around here, and even though a lot of people agree with what you're trying to say, a lot of people disagree very much. Theres like 30 pages of shielda arguments near the beginning of this thread iirc.

@ B.W. B.W.
devil's advocate time here. What about Using the transform from zelda to sheik as a way to detonate the side-b early? that technically counts as changing to sheik to make zelda better. Its small but it is still Technically there.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman

ZSS seems really good. Whip is longer than sword and stings like a bullet ant. Plus she is faster than all other characters with that kind of range with a not bad recovery. And then she is attractive too!

B.W.

Smash Champion
It's such a small thing though. Like, it barely even effects anything at all. I'm sure most of the time you're just want the fire to be out and lingering anyway for stage control reasons.

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
Sheilda is stupid because while you're both characters at the same time technically, you don't have access to both characters moves on the fly. You always need a moment to switch between the two.

Like if you could be like Sheik Dash Attack > Transform > Zelda F-Air as a full string, then yeah. You'd be able to call the character "Sheilda." But you can't. If you're currently Sheik, then your matchups are Sheik vs matchups and if you transform to Zelda they become Zelda vs matchups.

You can transform between the two, but just because you start as Zelda and you change to Sheik it doesn't actually make Zelda any better, and that goes the same the other way.
I'm definitely seeing you're point here, and I probably did overpraise sheilda's abilities, but I do feel there could be situations where being able to switch between sheik and Zelda would be useful, for example the recovery thing. I do still think she should be on tier lists, though. Sheilda still had unique abilities and is often considered a different character.

But then you might have to add the Doctor Mario skin to tier lists since his pills affect fire pikmin.

Edit: Long posting problems, lol. Maybe I just stop this topic, thanks s0ft

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I said Brawl dair could go two ways: It could be overcentralizing, or it could be bad. I said that the PMBR would probably have to change some aspects of dair to balance it.
But why? Are you suggesting that this one move instantly moves GW from bottom tier to top tier? I don't think it's anywhere near THAT powerful. Plenty of other characters have at least one move that's super good (most A tier characters have several, and for the Spacies it's half their moveset). I honestly think he needs a major buff like this to be a viable character.

If you want to throw a disjoint at someone's shield, you've got Bair for that, it does high shield damage and is pretty safe. I just feel that compared to his overall toolset, Tropical Fish adds more utility than Parachute does. I did suggest allowing you to still do Parachute via some method after up B (as I believe this is the main time you'd want to use it), but everyone hated that idea.

I meant good Fox. This guy plays Fox like I play Fox. At one point he did 7 upsmashes in a row.
"It'll hit someday!"

There's also a ton of SDs in this set, I'm pretty sure they were just joking around past a certain point.

This is a much better match, though this guy plays a much more patient Lucas than someone like Pink Fresh and I feel the key to crushing GW is to just stay on him every second. I am very impressed with Dakpo's stage control, though, it's incredibly solid.

That being said, watching this in no way changes my mind about those buffs. Even watching him get wins and play well like this, he still feels weak overall, that's why it's impressive to see Dakpo beat people with him. Just imagine how much more godlike Dakpo would be if he could fast fall dair after those up Bs. G&W could be legitimately scary in the same way that characters like Ivy and Metaknight are.

Last edited:

Saproling

Smash Journeyman

Her combo game is great but her killing power seems a bit weak.She has no real off the top killing power which would be nice for her.As well her up smash I think just needs reworked really.They need to tweak combos down and killing power up for her to turn into more of a real threat in my opinion.

DontHate-

Smash Cadet
You can't make dozens of mistakes against Fox / Falco, because they've got very powerful combos that they can convert into kill moves, and they usually start from very fast moves, like shine, nair, or throw. This is also true of a few other characters, like Marth and Falcon, but they have a few holes in their game to make up for it.
And fox and falco don't have holes in their game? Im pretty sure they do. Like being able to chain grab them easily and gimping them. I fail to see how you are pointing out anything that seems to be particularly unique about fox/falco. Yes they have combos that convert into kill moves, but so does the majority of the cast in project m. What you are saying here might apply more in melee but is definitely not a unique characteristic for fox/falco in project m.

It's important to note that their recovery is only bad when they're forced to recover low. They're actually pretty competent at recovering high as they have two fairly distinct recovery options. As such, most side-smashes aren't really a huge threat to them due to their launch trajectories. DSmashes and throws are your main gimp tools against spacies.
I disagree. I think there recovery is bad (not entirely bad) in more than just the low area. Many times they are high or same level as stage but too far to recover. At that same exact distance or even further, many of the cast members in pm can recover. Combine this with what I just said above, and you have yourself cast members who can convert combos into kill moves and can recover very well comparatively. Again, if this were melee I might agree with you but since this is pm, the rest of the cast makes a massive difference on how good falco/fox is relative to them. This is true regardless of having frame data from melee.

Of course it does, but you won't get it on every stock. The hits that lead into the gimp opportunity are situational, and if you base your entire gameplan around aiming for a gimp, you'll telegraph your offense and the opponent will be able to defend against your attacks easily.

If you watch tournament videos I think a gimp rate of once per match (which was implied in the math above) is more than fair. It generally doesn't even happen quite that often.
I watch lots of tournament videos and seen it happen multiple times in a single match. Also, what if this 40% death stock is not the first stock but rather the last stock.Your math can no longer apply here because it would have to assume that fox/falco continue with infinite stocks. In other words, you stated "120 * 3 +40= 400" but that's assuming they only lost one of the first 3 stocks with 40%. If it happens on the last stock they lose the game. What Im trying to point out here is that it really is not as linear as you are making it seem. This game has way too many variables and you also have to take into consideration that the percentage death of 100, 120, 140, 160 differ for the entire cast. Way too many variables for you to apply one equation even if you are just being general. Fox may be able to kill one character at 100% and die at 120% but what about killing a character that normally dies at 150%. Fox and falco might still die 120% vs. this character. But even saying this is incorrect because fox and falco don't always die at 120%, probably not even on average. There is no way you can try to make it this linear.

No we don't. Tier lists are always based on the highest level of play currently known to be possible. You also never want to use "ease of use" as a balancing mechanic, because once people become highly skilled at the game it no longer matters. A character who is super strong but difficult to use well will have no weaknesses once people become adept at the game.
You are correct about this. The tier list is based on high level of play. I just thought it would be unfair for the majority of the people who play this game that are not on that level. But that is not what we are talking about here.

Either way, we are not referring to just the tier list. People want to nurf the characters because they believe that they are in such high tier because of something broken they have. Fox/falco do not have anything broken about them and they are not broken characters. They are pretty much the same as melee. Would you say that fox and falco are broken in melee? If not, then they do not need to be nurfed here. Im sure you are going to say that brokeness is not required for nurfing, but I honestly think it does. Because if we are nurfing something that is not broken, then we are nurfing something that is simply good or great about a character. If that is the case, we are nurfing just to nurf and that kind of mentality is extremely toxic and can ruin an entire game once we do it to one character. Thankfully, im sure the PMBR know this and are not stupid enough to be quick to nurf unless they are 100% sure.

Lets look at why nurfing Ike in the past before 3.0 made sense (if im not mistaken, one of the reasons was because of knockback)

1. Ike was broken
2. Ike was broken because of his sword moves
3. his sword moves were broken because their knock back was faarrrrrrrr too much on ALL CAST MEMBERS and Ike was NOT slow enough to balance out such massive knock back in his moves
4. Ike was then nurfed by changing knock back based on area the sword hits (kind of like marth)

However, fox and falco are way more complex and have both very good and very bad things about them. Nurfing the very good things while keeping the very bad will hurt them too much. For example, lets look at what happens if were were to nurf falco's bair:

1. options and chances of killing now decrease (by variable that is unknown)
2. the probability of falco dying before killing off opponent now increases (by a variable that is unknown) since we decreased his chances of killing before dying without increasing recovery.
3. He now has less options to kill at certain percentages.
4. His ability to have this option for mind games now has decreased, therefore, mind games decrease
5. Opponent now has higher chance of killing falco (by a variable unknown) since they are on stage longer.
6. They have less of falco's option's to deal with.
7. Other **** I don't know.......

There are far more things im not taking into consideration. One massive variable is the specific match up with other characters and their mindgames/options vs falco. Imagine doing this analysis for falco vs. every single character. It might balance out one match up or two but might hurt him far too much in another.

Im sure there are other things that come into play that I'm unaware of. Point is, we can't just run around and say "nurf...hes broken... nurf nurf nurf" because we need to see what exactly is it about him that is broken and how much impact will it have on him RELATIVE TO the rest of the cast. When you begin seeing it like this, you'll realize how ridiculous the idea of nurfing falco IN PROJECT M is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

but that's not only a strawman, but a strawman based on the premise that ike was broken to begin with. ike was never really broken or too good at all.

fox is definitely broken, but in a game with a multitude of unfair characters than bend and exploit the rules, i think fox's brand of degeneracy becomes relatively acceptable. however, to deny fox's relative goodness over the rest of the cast at this point is an exercise in willful ignorance. falco not so much, at least not yet. fox definitely, definitely, unquestionably needs to be toned down.

DontHate-

Smash Cadet
The argument that glass cannon characters have their offensive capabilities being "balanced out" by their relative frailty and therefore should be less eligible for nerfs hasn't held much weight in any fighter in the history of ever. They're (almost always) still extremely dangerous characters in spite of that. Capcom never balances Akuma by just lowering his health every update and calling it a day.
The problem is that SSB is NOWHERE NEAR LIKE ANY OTHER FIGHTING GAME IN THE HISTORY OF EVER. In this game, health is NOT as important as stock. They CORRELATE, but you can lose a stock, which ultimately leads to losing the game, regardless of health. That is why decreasing akuma's health in every update won't make any sense because health in that game is STRICTLY PROPORTIONATE to winning the game.

Note: Caps are not to scream, I just want to emphasize the point.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Umbreon, you were aware of 2.1 ike though right? no sourspot on fair, infinite walljumps, f-smash OHKOs.

no lasers, but fair was always safe as an approach.

DontHate-

Smash Cadet
but that's not only a strawman, but a strawman based on the premise that ike was broken to begin with. ike was never really broken or too good at all.

fox is definitely broken, but in a game with a multitude of unfair characters than bend and exploit the rules, i think fox's brand of degeneracy becomes relatively acceptable. however, to deny fox's relative goodness over the rest of the cast at this point is an exercise in willful ignorance. falco not so much, at least not yet. fox definitely, definitely, unquestionably needs to be toned down.
Let me try and explain this to the best of my ability.

Ike had broken move set and, by definition, made him a broken character. Some might think "well, it's not that he's broken, it's just that he had some broken moves". Uh, no! what they would be trying to say is that that ike has extremely good moves but they are misusing the term broken here. To render something broken is a completely different level. The reason why it was justifiable to say that ike was broken was because the knock back on the move set was far too much for the speed at which is was delivered and range.

"But DontHate-, A charged smash attack for any character has a lot of knock back at low percentages and many have good range. Why is that not considered broken? Checkmate!"

A charged smash attack is extremely slow and punishable. Ike on the other hand, was delivering aerials (which also covers a lot more ground) with insane knock back with far less punishment and much more speed than a charged smash attack. His freaking dash attack could knock a spacies far enough to not be able to recover. Not to mention his smash attack had knock back of the gods but at least that was much slower and punishable.

Also for fox, no one is denying his "relatively goodness". We all know he is amazing. It is the relatively brokenness we are concerned with and whether or not the following statement is true: "fox is broken in project m". This argument is plausible, but we need to see metagame evolve first

Falco, I believe, is certainly not broken. Fox on the other hand is another case. He can practically do what falco does but with with better recovery. I still don't think he can be categorized as broken though, just an extremely good character. In my opinion, and I know this might be contrary to popular belief, fox and falco are no longer next to each other in the tier list. Fox can be in S teir, but falco needs to drop to high A tier. The match up vs the rest of the cast is far too different from melee. Falco is wayyyyyy more gimpable and manageable now because of characters that have amazing onstage and off stage game. Fox could still survive in these new scenarios off stage but falco can't. Take mewtwo for example. The falco vs mewtwo match up is hilarious.

Last edited:

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Where is the tier list?
Ya there will probably never be one, this is just speculation for PM as it gets updated and new meta is developed constantly. However I am making a community tier list for PM as of now if you wanna help out and fill the survey below!

DontHate-

Smash Cadet
Ya there will probably never be one, this is just speculation for PM as it gets updated and new meta is developed constantly. However I am making a community tier list for PM as of now if you wanna help out and fill the survey below!
Can you show us what the results are so far?

DontHate-

Smash Cadet
Stuff is different. I don't know

I really don't think falco should be that high anymore. Fox, fine, but falco should be where wolf, shiek, or lucas is and mew two definitely needs to go higher than that. WTF is G&W doing that far down? Wow I disagree so much with a lot of what is here but Im pretty sure the entire community can't seem to agree about anything at this point. Well, You did say stuff probably changed so who knows what it's like now.
Also, does a curve better represent the state of the list rather than a normal list or was it always a curve? Is everyone an equal standard deviation away from the very next person?[/quote][/quote]

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
fox is the alpha and the omega

max ike wasn't necessarily broken in 2.1 but the lack of a tipper system made all of his stuff just kinda happen without needing a good player to use him, so he was def a problem.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
ROB is forever mid tier
I do not think I have seen one person yet put him close to the bottom or close to the top
I mean, not recently anyway

Last edited:

Ace55

Smash Lord
This I hate the fact Fox and Falco seem to be held on the pedestal of untouchableness,
I know this is a popular mantra around here but they did actually get some nerfs already.

I kind of miss GnW melee parachute because that thing was instantaneous, though not as strong I suppose.
Melee G&W nair was not instantaneous and was really strong. It also had the largest hitbox in the game.

You might think his dair needs to be reverted to Brawl but, with all due respect, I'd like the opinion of Dakpo and other top G&W players (I know there aren't many) about if and how G&W need changes. Your or my opinion about a char we don't play at high level shouldn't hold any value.

So let's say you have a matchup where Zelda dominates the on-stage game but struggles to edge-guard yet for Sheik it's the other way around. Any time you knock them off stage far enough you transform, edgegaurd, then switch back. How are you not using 'Sheilda' at that point?

Even in melee where Zelda's only use is a longer recovery, you're not just using Sheik, you're using a combination of the two to maximize your options.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
Can't everyone just agree that squirtle is op and needs nerfing? I mean, side b goes THROUGH FIREBALLS!?!?! Not to mention that he short and grabbed never by nothin!

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
And fox and falco don't have holes in their game? Im pretty sure they do. Like being able to chain grab them easily and gimping them. I fail to see how you are pointing out anything that seems to be particularly unique about fox/falco. Yes they have combos that convert into kill moves, but so does the majority of the cast in project m. What you are saying here might apply more in melee but is definitely not a unique characteristic for fox/falco in project m.
Fast falling is a mixed bag, it's not purely negative. It does get you into more chain grabs from certain characters, but it also changes some guaranteed combos into tech chases against other characters.

Chain grabs in this game in general aren't nearly as dangerous as they are in Brawl, because even against the fast fallers they tend to only work 2-3 times before they become escapable.

And the difference between their ability to convert into kill moves and the rest of the cast is they can typically do it at lower percentages since their moves kill faster.

I disagree. I think there recovery is bad (not entirely bad) in more than just the low area. Many times they are high or same level as stage but too far to recover. At that same exact distance or even further, many of the cast members in pm can recover. Combine this with what I just said above, and you have yourself cast members who can convert combos into kill moves and can recover very well comparatively. Again, if this were melee I might agree with you but since this is pm, the rest of the cast makes a massive difference on how good falco/fox is relative to them. This is true regardless of having frame data from melee.
They typically won't fail to recover high unless their double jump is gone or it's a stage with very long blast zones. Otherwise, their recovery is perfectly serviceable from high.

And yes, there are a few characters who are very good at landing kill moves and can also recover very well, like Peach and Ivysaur for example. This is part of what makes them A tier.

I watch lots of tournament videos and seen it happen multiple times in a single match. Also, what if this 40% death stock is not the first stock but rather the last stock.Your math can no longer apply here because it would have to assume that fox/falco continue with infinite stocks.
Of course it can happen more than once in a match, but you can also have a match where no gimp occurs. Overall you probably see about one gimp per 5-6 stocks, which I rounded up to once per match.

People want to nurf the characters because they believe that they are in such high tier because of something broken they have. Fox/falco do not have anything broken about them and they are not broken characters. They are pretty much the same as melee. Would you say that fox and falco are broken in melee?
Would anyone NOT say they were broken in Melee? 80% of Melee's cast is not viable because Fox and Falco are just way too good.

And they do both have something broken about them. Fox's UpSmash is the 3rd strongest in the game (after G&W and Pikachu), is among the fastest, and also has a ridiculous second hitbox that hits behind him for solid damage that Pika lacks. For a character who is that fast and strong to have something like that is just bad design.

Falco, on the other hand, has a spike that does not require correct positioning or timing, it just stays active for the entire duration of the move, which none of the other characters have. All other spikes and most meteors have a sourspot that has a much lesser effect.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You might think his dair needs to be reverted to Brawl but, with all due respect, I'd like the opinion of Dakpo and other top G&W players (I know there aren't many) about if and how G&W need changes. Your or my opinion about a char we don't play at high level shouldn't hold any value.
I totally agree that I would like to hear his thoughts on the matter. Does he frequent smashboards?

I suspect he would agree on Dair though. It seems pretty clear that it'd help his game overall. Maybe not the Nair, since that changes things and it's not immediately clear that it would be a buff (though I think it would be).

Top Bottom