• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
I arrived at the stream just in time to see Red Kirby dance at the victory screen and see everyone in the chat screaming "CHUUUU"

I didn't see any dash attacks or nairs from him. He played pretty solid. Lots of dthrow chaingrabs on Squeak. Surprised Squeak didn't use a get-up attacks at any point.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I arrived at the stream just in time to see Red Kirby dance at the victory screen and see everyone in the chat screaming "CHUUUU"

I didn't see any dash attacks or nairs from him. He played pretty solid. Lots of dthrow chaingrabs on Squeak. Surprised Squeak didn't use a get-up attacks at any point.
Chu was jab resetting on every missed tech. Besides which, MK's getup attack is bad on shield even by getup attack standards.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Taking the RNG out of Olimar's pikmin would make him broken. The randomness is the only thing keeping him from being God Tier. If there were a consistent way to get 4 purples...I shudder at the possibility.

I REALLY like the idea of his antenna changing color based on which Pikmin is next in line.
THIS however is a neat idea. It allows the player to have a little bit more info about what is coming up...if anything, it's just cool.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That being said, I really liked what I saw from this Squeak player's Metaknight. He wasn't executing on point and made some hesitant reads, but he seemed to be getting the reads on techs and recoveries just about every time. With more practice I can see him getting a lot better at getting that execution down.
I got to play Squeak quite a bit when I went to MD for Magfest, he was pretty good and from what others told me improves fast.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Taking the RNG out of Olimar's pikmin would make him broken. The randomness is the only thing keeping him from being God Tier. If there were a consistent way to get 4 purples...I shudder at the possibility.
That's silly. If the RNG were removed his attacks would be rebalanced around the lack of RNG.

Either way uhh this is a tier list thread not a character redesign thread. Please oblige, folks.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Chu was super patient. He waited out a lot of Squeak's stretches and baited Redd really well. Imo the most intereting set was vs Mapmark. Mark was super solid this tourney, he must have learned a lot from Nazo last week. I saw him do a lot of stuff he wasn't doing when I played him two or three weeks ago.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
It was interesting to see Chu play Kirby without using dash attack or down-B really at all. The dude is just old-school good as hell. I hope he keeps playing Kirby I'd love to see him really advance the metagame. He is completely capable of it, single-handedly.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
redd was talking about how excited chu was for apex, so possibly. Also, Chu reminded me so much of Yusuke Urameshi with his hair not gelled.

Metazoa

Smash Cadet
It's interesting watching Chu play with simple fundamentals and rocking everyone. What'll happen when he starts doing the more gimmicky stuff?

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Yeah, gimmick stuff like Kirby dash attack. If he learns how to apply it properly he'll be unstoppable!

On an on-topic note, that match was a one-off example of course, but even without being as patient as Chu and landing every inhale without punish, what are people's opinions of the Kirby/Fox match-up?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Kirby is the Operator of Jank Town Express. Hop on and take a ride on your favorite Jank Train! Choo Choo

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's already made. Somewhere in the universe, a man prepared for this moment.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
It's tough to talk about tiers when there aren't any new, broken characters to complain about. Just wait until after Apex, and then we'll get serious.

Elion33

Smash Rookie
:ness2: is so bad.
When 3.0 came out I thought the PMBr where going to buff him, but when I looked at the change log they didn't even touch him.
Ness needs:
- Some disjoints on his aerials together with some bigger hitboxes;
- A bigger grab range (I'm not saying enormous, but a bit bigger);
- A Psi Magnet working like Lucas' (ergo faster);
- Faster aerial mobility;
I don't want Ness to be OP but he really needs those buffs, until that he is unviable. :urg:
Also, :metaknight:is OP.
(Sorry for my engrish)

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Awestin
I would have just left it at that, but I need to post more then 10 characters apparently.

edit: Nobody is unviable, but Ness does have some really difficult MUs. He is certainly not the best character, but, as evidenced by his success in Texas, he is certainly capable of taking out a lot of good players.

Elion33

Smash Rookie
Awestin
I would have just left it at that, but I need to post more then 10 characters apparently.

edit: Nobody is unviable, but Ness does have some really difficult MUs. He is certainly not the best character, but, as evidenced by his success in Texas, he is certainly capable of taking out a lot of good players.
I think that happens only 'cause of MU inexperience. Probably.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
You're right.
But you can't deny Ness needs buffs. :smirk:
I'm sorry, I've been unnecessarily harsh just because you have a different opinion than I do. My bad. You are correct, I believe if Ness wants to experience success beyond Awestin, I think he will require some buffs. Ness' metagame is really developed at the moment, yet he still only manages to go even with characters that are brand new. His kit leaves something to be desired, and I think you are correct in asserting that he needs a few changes.

Elion33

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry, I've been unnecessarily harsh just because you have a different opinion than I do. My bad. You are correct, I believe if Ness wants to experience success beyond Awestin, I think he will require some buffs. Ness' metagame is really developed at the moment, yet he still only manages to go even with characters that are brand new. His kit leaves something to be desired, and I think you are correct in asserting that he needs a few changes.
That's true.:)
I posted my "Suggestions" because Ness suffers the "stubby arms" syndrome and that truly hurts his MU spread, and also because his Dair is garbage, no hitboxes and lasts very few frames.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
That's true.:)
I posted my "Suggestions" because Ness suffers the "stubby arms" syndrome and that truly hurts his MU spread, and also because his Dair is garbage, no hitboxes and lasts very few frames.
Ness's aerials are by and large perfect (i'd like maybe sourspotted nair to have a hair more hitstun but that's about it). I think the solution to Ness lies in buffing his mobility game. Also, it'll be nice to see his dash attack corrected to Melee's range.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Awestin does good because he's usually efficient with the character. There are too many Ness players that try to be flashy onstage or "move quick". Awestin is probably the overall best at Ness fundamentals: you grab mistakes, Dair people offstage, and PK Fire instead of mindless approaching in Neutral. If you stick to that and master it, frankly you will do good with your character.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
lmfao

Awestin has never feared another human being offstage

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
chu dat always does this, tbh. remember, he made ICs look godly before ICs really had even half the jank they had in melee. or, hell, he makes a D-tier in brawl look like the best character on the planet. he never NEEDED to use certain tricks and gimmicks, he just does spacing better, and smash is entirely a game of spacing.

I remember wobbles using him as an example of "a bad idea executed perfectly is infinitely better than a perfect idea executed badly"

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Those tech chases were delicious. The way he would just barely walk forward and then run to wherever the guy teched was textbook.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Plenty of reasons not to do that actually. It sounds much better on paper than in practice.

Top Bottom