• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

jtm94

Smash Lord
I play Link after any character and feel slow.
I play any character after Link and feel fast.

I wonder why this is...
I get upset when people place Sheik/Zelda in the same tier as the same slot. They are both different. ZSS and Samus don't get this treatment. #Outrage

My friends don't believe Zelda is low tierish, they think she's one of the best because I'm "annoying."
I've been playing almost every character lately and Squirtle does feel like low tier material, but I am also bad. I really like his moves and if they were on a bigger body he would be twice as good, but he is so small and easy to swat out of the air if he plays a ranged character he will have a veryyy tough time.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I play Link after any character and feel slow.
I play any character after Link and feel fast.

I wonder why this is...
I get upset when people place Sheik/Zelda in the same tier as the same slot. They are both different. ZSS and Samus don't get this treatment. #Outrage

My friends don't believe Zelda is low tierish, they think she's one of the best because I'm "annoying."
I've been playing almost every character lately and Squirtle does feel like low tier material, but I am also bad. I really like his moves and if they were on a bigger body he would be twice as good, but he is so small and easy to swat out of the air if he plays a ranged character he will have a veryyy tough time.
Shiek/Zelda as a slot basically means "Sheik with an alternate recovery option."

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
If there is any move I hate more than anything in the game, it's Naryu's Love.

It's manageable in a 1v1, but since the people I play with tend to prefer free for all over 1v1 I get too much Naryu's Love for a life time. I can't even get a chance to punish it most of the time because some other asshat comes in ready to slap me across the face for even thinking about hitting Zelda.

If there is a tier list for Free for all matches I think Zelda would be second, right under snake.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure DK and Fox take the top spots in FFA's. Random kill snipes and safe in-and-outs with uairs from fox, and even earlier percentage kills from a flying DK fair on top of auto-combo **** everyone down B.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Ike is pretty crazy in FFAs too. Try throwing out an Up-Smash *without* hitting something. And usually when Ike hits something in an FFA, it dies. (previous damage from the helpful others, of course.)

That said I tend to clean house with Wolf and Charizard in FFAs as well so maybe I'm just good at them, lol.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I tend not to find fox as bad because damn does he get combo'd like a ************ in a FFA.

I've never played against anyone who plays as DK in a FFA but I have played as him. He's very solid but I'm no pro DK so /notfullpotential

Charizard wrecks people's **** in it.
Wolf is mad crazy but faces similar problems as fox.

Ike.
Well he pretty much can throw out his dash attacks without getting punished too hard in an FFA. on top of his high killing power he can be problematic. I just make sure to watch Ike very closely in an FFA.

Vale

Smash Ace
ike is s tier in free for all
got like 10 KOs using only f-smash, upb, and upb cancelled sidebs.
also ness because when somebody gets hit with pk-fire the others think "oh hey a free punish on that guy" and then they don't go to ness so you hit them with pk fire and then the first guy goes for revenge on the other guys and you can hit him with pk fire and it's pretty cool. also people are too busy fighting to edgeguard you so recovery is free every time.

i'll post my own tier list speculation after this weekend because i'm going to a tournament and can complain about the characters i lose to see the characters at a higher level than i'm used to and make a more informed decision.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I wasn't serious, but I do think he's like upper-mid tier.

Try playing Bowser then see if you think Link feels slow.
You know link runs slower than bowser and has a shorter wavedash than bowser right? >_>.

Vale

Smash Ace
If they buffed Link's run speed I wouldn't even notice because I'm bad and walk around everywhere to keep the shield up. And then three stocks in I realize I'm usually fighting somebody without a projectile.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
You know link runs slower than bowser and has a shorter wavedash than bowser right? >_>.
I didn't know he ran slower, but I did know about his wavedash, either way his character in general feels faster than Bowser to me.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Pretty much.

What are peoples opinions on Samus's position in the tier list with her new tech? Or Olimar?
I'd put Samus in B tier or higher, based on the abuse my friend puts me through.

I dunno about Oli though.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Pretty much.

What are peoples opinions on Samus's position in the tier list with her new tech? Or Olimar?
I had a brief exchange of posts with DMG about this. I believe she's still a mid tier character because her toolset is not enough to compete consistently with the top characters.

Phantasmagorical

Smash Cadet
Pretty much.

I see Samus in the lower half of the cast, but still above a fair number of other characters. Around low-mid tier is where I'd put her. Admittedly, I don't know the full extent of the impact her new tools have on her game; I don't think ice helped her much, but zair and crawl are probably enough to keep her from being bad. Having a usable roll is also nice.

I have no clue about Olimar. My instincts tell me that a lower-mobility character like him is going to have trouble in this game.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Pretty much.

I think Samus is still mid-tier. As for Olimar I want to say he's low tier, but I feel as though I should explore him some more, he definitely seems like the weakest of all the new characters.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Olimar has incredible depth and, by extension, one of the most unique learning curves in the game. I personally think his potential is considerably higher than most people think. Managing a lineup can have incredible power, but using every aspect of his game to create the best lineups is challenging. I think he could be very dangerous if played to the best of his potential.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Olimar has incredible depth and, by extension, one of the most unique learning curves in the game. I personally think his potential is considerably higher than most people think. Managing a lineup can have incredible power, but using every aspect of his game to create the best lineups is challenging. I think he could be very dangerous if played to the best of his potential.
I think that in itself is one of the things that makes him struggle, even though he has some good tools, he doesn't have access to them whenever he wants them and he won't always have the opportunity to farm.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Perhaps. I don't think farming is as difficult as it may seem though. Picking one at a time doesn't take that many frames, and unless I'm mistaken, the Brawl techs that let you pull Pikmin at really fast speeds are still there. If they are, then farming should not be too difficult.

Frank Curtis

Smash Cadet
Olimar can be very difficult to fight with those Pikmin everywhere, as his Lv.9 CPU has shown me. As far as Samus goes, that ability to switch from fire beams to ice beams can make for some devastating combo enders, especially with the ice up-smash.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Alternatively, just run a single yellow pikmin and 0-death everything.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Alternatively alternatively, code his pikmin to not cycle except for when Down B, Side B, and F/D-Smash are used.

(Or if possible have specific areas of stages have 100% pluck rates for certain pikmin. Don't tell anyone where they are, and just let the Olimar players figure out where on each stage themselves.)

Part of the fun in the Pikmin games is that you're in control of what pikmin you can have in your army, and getting random picks and cycling between attacks goes against that feeling.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much.

I think Samus suffers from Captain Falcon Syndrome; she got buffs, and really good buffs at that, but other characters got even better buffs, which brings her down the tier list a bit. She's still a solid pick though, and still functions very well against spacies.

Olimar might be really good, but we may never know because so few people play him because his one unique mechanic seems to fall flat for a lot of people, making him very uninteresting to play as.

Top Bottom