• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Rat

Smash Lord
Didn't play much Roy in melee. I agree that his Double jump feels small and clunky though.

Overall I think Roy is pretty good. He has some fun new tools: Ftilt is pretty good. Dsmash is a decent Vertical killer. Ez Mode Combos like DAir BAir. BAir in general is pretty incredible.

For Downsides yeah he gets edgeguarded. Design wise I like that a lot. PM Recoveries have gotten a bit out of control. It's nice to have a melee esque recovery around.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I also know that works with lucas' neutral b, b/c when someone showed a theoryTAS of lucas pressure, they pushed someone off the edge with it right after popping the shield

it's like a mini-cape, it's neat

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I just never found Ivysaur's stuff to be super strong in comparison to top tier characters. More simple to use and non-intuitive to counter. Most people can't get out of Ness' PK fire and I've seen a dozen Fox's get u-smash (2nd hit) to f-smashed by my Bowser despite the fact that it should never, ever work. It's just non-intuitive. If you sit down with someone who is playing Ivysaur and say "okay, do this" it doesn't take long to figure out how to beat it.

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
roy is awkward, sure

but that's a good thing. he SHOULDN'T flow as well as marth, he should be the jagged ripped seams to marth's perfectly smooth ends

whether or not that kills him in the long run isn't really my say, but for all intents and purposes, if he's weird and janky then the conversion is perfect

in other news: MK was unchanged, all hail

I wanna chime in Roy does not feel Awkward at all for me and flows very well. Feel like a very solid character so far.

A Revelation

Smash Cadet
His double jump is high than it was in melee. He can do ledge stuff that he wasn't able to before. Fair and regrab the ledge in one go. Which messes up the timing of the melee ledge dash.

D

Deleted member

I'm sure umbreon will agree with me when I say that in melee, roy could definitely be playedas fast as marth if not not faster because of a shorter short hop and faster fast fall. Shffling with roy was insanely quick and movement around platforms felt smooth and fast.

absolutely 100%, and it's also a crux to roy's game play. i'll have to experiment more with it in PM though before i make any comparative statements between the two.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The complaints about PK Fire not being changed when 3.0 was released were hilarious. A little SDI and all of a sudden Ness' free setups aren't really free anymore.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I feel samus does *really* well against spacies now.

Discuss.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
The complaints about PK Fire not being changed when 3.0 was released were hilarious. A little SDI and all of a sudden Ness' free setups aren't really free anymore.
The only thing I see free from him is his Fair -> Grab, Fair locks you in shield

And once you get grabbed, forget it, it's all over, name of the game with Ness is don't get grabbed, his D-throw is ridiculously good, if you DI away you get re-grabbed, DI back you get re-grabbed or Baired(which is incredibly powerful), don't DI and you get re-grabbed or Uair spammed into a double jump Dair

Has anyone managed to get out of Ness' d-throw shenanigans consistently? I'd really like to know cause it's annoying as all hell

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
samus:spacies were already even when samus was mid-tier in melee, lord knows what that'd translate to in P:M now that samus is a kajillion times better

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Hylian :
Samus can't Ledge-C Up-B's OOS as flexibly, but at least she can Roll now.
The range on her Grab shrunk, which was what made it work safely and efficiently, even when it comes out fast like PM, it's still slow, and is easier to avoid with everything from spacing where you land from jumps, or [tech]-rolls and WD > dashes away and dodging, etc.
Then there's bigger stages everywhere, and she can't exactly corner a Fox/Falco/Wolf to force them to do anything.

She could already do great things with a hit, but do Rolls (the Crawl rolling/attack too), and something Ice gives, actually allow her to GET those hits better?
Maybe F-Air is a great trajectory she can end things in, or U-Smash [a floaty-finisher if anything] can combo them [she doesn't really need help there] more or something? Even then, are those maneuvers with Roll-stuff [she gets so small!] enough to make a big enough difference to say she does 'Really' well against them now?
Like... the invincibility on Shine gone doesn't even help her as much as others, and her recovery is even easier to punish for everyone in the game without Melee-tethers, let alone spacies... though that's not a big factor since it was meh anyway.

Canon: She's better, but what's a kajillion? It looks like a smooth and moderate improvement to me right now, at best, especially in relation to the rest of the cast...

Has anyone managed to get out of Ness' d-throw shenanigans consistently? I'd really like to know cause it's annoying as all hell
A little more wiggle wave-lands out of tight situations could be abused across the entire player-base, but otherwise, there's no tricks to it. Ness is a vortex...

Edit: Roy can kill easily enough that he won't be terrible. Seriously, be really liberal with F-Smash. Anything and everything links into it, you don't need to extend super-combos, just a hit into F-Smash at 20% and you've won the stage-control, then can speed/hit-box spam and if anything connects, it's another F-Smash for free. Everything connects well in short bursts, just cut those bursts shorter and end it.
Side-B Forward > Side-B Up > Side-B Down, is easy enough to link into after any aerial or Grab-chase or whatever too, and the trajectory + KB on that is silly. He makes everyone NEED a Brawl recovery, because of how hard and silly-angled those hits are...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
samus:spacies were already even when samus was mid-tier in melee, lord knows what that'd translate to in P:M now that samus is a kajillion times better
fox:samus was like 6:4 at least in fox's favor
falco was even tho

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I know right.

Anyone who isn't like Puff, Zelda and Peach can SDI down and power shield the pillar. Which is annoying BTW.

VitaminStevie

Smash Rookie
hey, Ike can be pretty bogus.

If Marth and Ganon had a baby, you get Ike.

Super strong, Lots'a range, disjointed hit box, hard-to-edgeguard recovery; not to mention that he can now jump cancel his side-B, which makes him decently fast, as well.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I am the Ike Gotham needs

Samus vs Falco might have gotten better, but I don't doubt that Fox still wins

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I love Roy's animations. They have different weight and texture, so Roy makes a great foil to Marth.
Oh right matchup stuff.
Does anyone else think Mewtwo's side B is really good for countering Falco? I could start it up once I see Falco short hop, and it's ready to handle the laser. I haven't tested much mid range reflection though.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Samus vs Falco is still even because Screw Attack OoS still ruins anything he tries to do.

Samus vs Fox is just only slightly in Fox's favor imo. Just try to pick high-ceiling stages when you can.

D

Deleted member

I don't think spacies are really the bar for comparison anymore

frankly i'm not sure picking characters with unfair neutral games should have ever been the bar for comparison.

that said, i still think all 3 of them are top 5 in the roster.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
frankly i'm not sure picking characters with unfair neutral games should have ever been the bar for comparison.

that said, i still think all 3 of them are top 5 in the roster.

I think Falco definitely would be assuming all characters played at a high level. Fox could be. I don't see Wolf being up there though, not with all the anti-spacie competition. Then again there haven't been many good wolf mains out there yet, so who knows.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I think Rat, Meta, Scythe, SilentWolf, Chillin, and Eli (?) all represent the character very well. Having 5-6 high level players is a commodity not many characters have right now.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm inclined to agree with Umbreon. Those kinds of tools are just really powerful and imposing in the most important part of gameplay (neutral position), and it's hard to see such superior options falter. Remember, much of this anti-spacie stuff only works if they leave themselves vulnerable in the first place or you hard read them (sometimes you have to do it more than once, even). :x

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
that's kind of why I think MK does pretty well in the neutral game, especially vs falco

he can play neutral with space animals, albeit in kinda boring ways (camp for grabs and smashes, sideb/anyb through SH lasers, the fact that aerial pokes beat out most aerial approaches they'd want to try definitely doesn't hurt)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think Anti Spacie stuff is overrated in the grand scheme of things, because it guarantees nothing for how well you will do vs the rest of the cast. Like if Ike were to have a tuly even MU with all Spacies, good for him. Enjoy getting bopped by Sheik or Marth or new Samus etc. If Kirby goes even because of wild Hyper Cutter gimps and Uthrow CG, cool. We're gonna find out that he is dookie against Roy and Luigi and Lucas. As odd as it sounds, other characters ARE holding down other characters from being Spacie level, but it's less cool when that is going on and Spacies + a few friends are kind of sitting above that.

There are too many MU's to consider, and patches thrown in to shake up the game to be 100% certain on anything, BUT I feel like most characters that get near Spacie level have to deal with both the "usual" stopgate of Sheik/MK/Previous Wario (Who knows how the changes will tweak him) while also having random **** tossed at them. Like how many characters have the time to go even (or beat) Spacies, while fending off random Zard or Pit or x bad MU? With as diverse and overall strong the cast is currently, it's hard to see a character that gets past the usual stalwarts of the game and also handles the literal feeding frenzy the rest of the cast looks like MU wise. To be a better character than Fox, requires a lot more than just having a good personal MU with him. If obtaining that is through "cheesy" stuff like 0-death Uthrow combos or simplified edge guarding INSTEAD of incredible neutral game, those kind of tools don't tend to break a character over Fox. Most characters with toxic neutral games get nerfed, so it's genuinely hard to find examples of characters better than Fox.

Characters that could probably challenge Fox and Falco: Old Sonic/Lucario/Ike

Characters with "stuff" on them that still "suck" outside of those things enough: Current Ike/Zelda/Bowser/Zard/etc

(I list Fox exclusively in a lot of places, because I feel he is much harder to topple in this game than Falco or Wolf. The stage ceiling changes help vs him but he's still pretty universal on stages and in MU's)

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Is there an easy way to get into crawl? I'm finding it hard to get into the morph ball by holding the stick diagonally.

Top Bottom