• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Smells like Wario Poots

and sometimes it smells like Fox

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I can kinda agree with DMG that Wario has an awkward fanbase. There are some people out there who honestly believe that he is a joke character and think that he should be removed from Smash 4. Are you kidding me? Those people haven't got a clue.

Also, other people are so familiar with the top, boring Melee characters that they are unwilling to try Wario, even if he is straight forward. To them, he is just a short, fat, stubby, joke of a character, and, very commonly too, they have no idea how to fight Wario.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
NO, he has an awesome fanbase. His player base size though imo isn't why his metagame seems further along than people like Lucas or Wolf. You're comparing one character that honestly is pretty straight forward, to characters that require some of the most finesse in the game. It's not hard to imagine people doing more with Wario, when it's hard to perfectly end every Wolf combo with Side B or perfectly xyz with Lucas.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
To them, he is just a short, fat, stubby, joke of a character, and, very commonly too, they have no idea how to fight Wario.
I basically try to play characters that come the closest to SoTN Alukard (or a Cougar), and Wario is the farthest away from that.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
DMG, your post makes sense now yay. Of course that's the case, though I'll stand by my half-joke as I'm sure some people in the PMBR actually 'do' know what's up, regarding my points, otherwise this game would be ****. lol
RPGs, now I don't know where yours came from. wtf internetz

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Also, other people are so familiar with the top, boring Melee characters that they are unwilling to try Wario, even if he is straight forward. To them, he is just a short, fat, stubby, joke of a character, and, very commonly too, they have no idea how to fight Wario.
whoa, back up a few feet....wtf are you talking about bro? the Majority of Melee>PM players have picked up/main buffed previously bad characters or Brawl newcomers. As for fat, stubby, joke characters that most don't know how to fight. Did you forget about...jigglypuff...? Anyways you should stop speaking about entire communities in a general sense especially if the generalizations are off.

on a Personal note I like wario, he makes me laugh even if the person using him isn't very fun to play against. In a game where being floaty and difficult to combo is scoffed at Wario can sometimes end up picked last for dodgeball but....as I stated above smash, specifically melee's style of smash has already seen this before. Personally I would rather play 1000 wario's in a row before fighting a puff.

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Quick question with regards to tier placement in Project M, seeing as this is the first smash game where nerfing and buffing is a possiblity, what exactly is the PM team striving for? Will there actually be buffs for lower tier characters if they turn out to be completely incapable of reaching tournament viability or are they going for a more melee-esque type of deal where some characters will simply not be viable and others are?

Sorry if this has been elaborated on before, I was unable to find it if that is the case.

esoterics

Smash Apprentice
Quick question with regards to tier placement in Project M, seeing as this is the first smash game where nerfing and buffing is a possiblity, what exactly is the PM team striving for? Will there actually be buffs for lower tier characters if they turn out to be completely incapable of reaching tournament viability or are they going for a more melee-esque type of deal where some characters will simply not be viable and others are?
They don't intend to be a 1-1 melee clone, and I hope this is one of the things they don't keep from melee. I think the goal is to create balance as much as possible. However, not everyone plays at a top-pro level, so they need to make sure that they don't overpower some of the less-technical characters to balance out the Foxes and Falcos and Wolfs and Shieldas and Marths for the pros.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
I still have yet to be convinced from first-hand experience that Mario is in the top 8 of the cast... are there any videos or results of Mario doing incredibly well or are people still theorizing what can happen if Mario were to be picked up by a phenomenal player?
I think he is getting his wishes.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
remember what I said about whoever does work in BH3 is going to change some opinions

guess whose recovery's gettin' nerfed next time around

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bowser > Mario too. Means Bowser would have to take 1st on the tier list

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Bowser > Mario too. Means Bowser would have to take 1st on the tier list

That's not exactly the case.

Marth can beat both fox and falco on any given day but his overall game puts him at 5th were as they are 1 and 2.

I do think Mario vs Bowser is one of those style specific match-ups. kinda can go either way but...bowser is dangerous man. It's why i have him in A tier. Even though he has so many disadvantages man he's just....idk he can find a way to win and it's like..how?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
nah man, he's just a freaking rocky balboa man. you look at him and you are like, nah, this ***** is going to lose but he just wins...somehow. it can't even be explained. he just lands a hit and characters that seem better than him just die.

for the record, i don't support a nerf of either mario or bowser.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ofc not. Why nerf pretty non top tier characters?

I'm glad for both players, was more interesting to see them play than 2x Melee Stalwart characters.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Ofc not. Why nerf pretty non top tier characters?

I'm glad for both players, was more interesting to see them play than 2x Melee Stalwart characters.

If A and S tier characters are what qualifies as top tier characters then i think calling non top tiers is...inappropriate? Anyways, it's still too soon to center tier lists around this tournament, considering the large pm cast and pretty spread out PM scene. some of the highest level players with each characters weren't present at BH3. Still, it was very entertaining. First time i can remember coming to a stream just for PM in a long time lol.

also, I do think this tournament displayed just how well the new/buffed cast mixes it up with the assumed highest level characters the space animals. Not trying to get anything started in this thread but I don't see them as far an away the best characters in pm and i haven't for about a year. There were a handful of high placing foxes even though most who used fox also used others. Still, after what I've seen today I don't think they are at the point were they should be sonic'd.

1 more thing.....mario vs bowser in a smash game's GF's.....yeah Project M is officially the #1 smash game.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
S tier only for top tier

Mario and Bowser aren't at a level deserving notable nerfs, although personally it might be cool to see Bowser as a more reliable character that doesn't have to Upb so damn hard in neutral to keep up. It cuts down on style/critical thinking choices when you're forced to rely on that as an answer. Not taking away from Kirk either, but the point is that moves like that don't usually allow the nuances and depth of the player's skill shine through. Same thing with Snake's Upb.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
S tier only for top tier

Mario and Bowser aren't at a level deserving notable nerfs, although personally it might be cool to see Bowser as a more reliable character that doesn't have to Upb so damn hard in neutral to keep up.

ah, well it's just that top tier was extended from S into some of the A tier characters in melee so it kinda confused me.

Even still, at least 1 of them (Mario) already is an S tier character. perhaps i went overboard putting him at 2nd....but maybe not? I didn't see falco's ass anywhere! :p

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'd be really surprised if Mario's recovery got nerfed.

I don't see Mario as an S-tier character either, but he's definitely A-tier. He has an excellent toolkit, and can kill reliably (D-throw -> Doc Punch t00 g00d). However he still has a hard time approaching characters with good spacing. Right now it seems he doesn't have any bad match-ups, but I think that's more because he's been under everyone's radar for so long. Which is surprising considering all the hype he got from H-Box vs Wizzrobe. Once people start taking him more seriously, we'll start to see some development against him.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It won't. Mario's recovery already took a mini hit with the walljump change on places like Dracula's

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I'd be really surprised if Mario's recovery got nerfed.

I don't see Mario as an S-tier character either, but he's definitely A-tier. He has an excellent toolkit, and can kill reliably (D-throw -> Doc Punch t00 g00d). However he still has a hard time approaching characters with good spacing. Right now it seems he doesn't have any bad match-ups, but I think that's more because he's been under everyone's radar for so long. Which is surprising considering all the hype he got from H-Box vs Wizzrobe. Once people start taking him more seriously, we'll start to see some development against him.

Mario was good before H-box vs wizzrobe happened. he was good in 2.0/2.1 alot of the first PM and I currently don't see terrible MU's for him either. it's possible that we'll see development against him in the future. however, development goes on forever in terms of MU's. It's possible that once people adapt to Mario he can in tern re-adapt and put things right back. I don't think he's broken though or even very good in the same way that fox/Falco have been for years. Still, having no bad MU's has to count for something imo.

@Mewtwo discussion - I welcome the addition of hyper combo characters. Roy and Mewtwo seem to be agressor's like Metaknight and I think it's a good thing because it rebalances the cast.

So far in PM's history characters that are aggressive, combo oriented, destructive types have been slightly or massively nerfed. on the other hand more defensive or (lame) characters have been untouched or improved. Therefore, these new additions are great imo, especially if they are as good as they look.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Mario was good before H-box vs wizzrobe happened. he was good in 2.0/2.1 alot of the first PM and I currently don't see terrible MU's for him either. it's possible that we'll see development against him in the future. however, development goes on forever in terms of MU's. It's possible that once people adapt to Mario he can in tern re-adapt and put things right back. I don't think he's broken though or even very good in the same way that fox/Falco have been for years. Still, having no bad MU's has to count for something imo.
I still feel like he has a hard time against characters with a superior projectile. Pit and Falco come to mind as characters that force him to approach, which we know is not Mario's strength.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
So far in PM's history characters that are aggressive, combo oriented, destructive types have been slightly or massively nerfed. on the other hand more defensive or (lame) characters have been untouched or improved. Therefore, these new additions are great imo, especially if they are as good as they look.
lucas
wolf
luigi
pikachu
squirtle
wario

characters that are more RD oriented that have never been nerfed

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Projectiles? No. Characters with much better positioning or range advantages on him give him trouble. You still have the ability to cape or try to PS/Shield troublesome projectiles, so that's not really his issue. It's stuff like dealing with Marth or Ike's huge range, trying to corner Sheik or Fox, etc

D

Deleted member

i still think mario is top tier. haven't changed this opinion in the last 6 months.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I like how Mewtwo has Lucario's Extreme Speed with an Aura Sphere Charge... at all times!
Good stuff, giving one of the things that makes Lucario WITH ASC good enough to make up for him WITHOUT it, to a character who will ALWAYS have it but can go in any direction.
Lucario may need help.
Give him Double-Team so his combos be all like UMvC3 Morrigan Astral so there's 2 of him going nuts on the stage and can always connect hits on EVERYTHING!

jkz, of course, but yeah, Mewtwo is cool. Pokemon know what's up.

I have more trouble with Ganon than I do projectile characters as Mario...
Getting passed walls of crap that he can't puncture through... sucks. (Marth cough) Even IF the reward for getting in is more, it's just not something that his options-for-everything will overcome, since big walls of speed/hit-box nullify 'most' options in general. Sheik syndrome there... again.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
SO METROID HOW BOUT THAT GARBAGE MARIO WITH NO TOURNEY RESULTS

#shotsfired

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Mario always had this stuff, lets just not have the knee jerk reaction of nerfing him though.

He has those stubby limbs so his range isn't that great. Not that hard to edgegaurd him either.

firebro17

Smash Cadet
Mario must be a high tier character after his high performence today.. Even at 2.0 I said he was easily top 5 character!

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Crap, I ended up being busy all weekend and totally forgot to watch BH3. I hope this will be up somewhere soon.

Top Bottom