• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier list of mario's moves

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
yeah, but dtilt isn't a fair
I'd say sing is the worst move ever though, since it leaves you widely punishable and its in instead of a nysort of recovery
-_-

I know Dtilt isn't a Fair. I was making a point.

And your reasoning for sing is a bit...weird. Just because recovery moves are generally upB doesn't mean it should lose points because sing isn't one; that's silly. Especially since she has one of the best recoveries in the game.

no, if fox's dair combos into usmash it can combo into a grab, and bowser's grab isb't slow, but w/e (bowser doing fox's dair would look awsome, tho
Sorry pal, it doesn't till higher %. Again, I'm not sure about grab without the jab following Dair, but I doubt it. I never said Bowser's grab was slow either, I don't think it even combos with Fox's. Utilt doesn't even truly combo after Dair, it just has a low time frame in which you can react.

viparagon

Smash Ace
What do you mean?
your name is "the trump card", and mario is always a second choice...

EDIT: woops, I meant "main"! the same thing happened on my top ten thread, when I put "dsmash no 3 for "dsmash"

@matador

I thought dair>utilt was a true combo... At any rate, I don't think jab to grab is a true combo either >.>

w/e this is the stupidest conversation ever:p

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
@matador

I thought dair>utilt was a true combo... At any rate, I don't think jab to grab is a true combo either >.>

w/e this is the stupidest conversation ever:p
Indeed...I don't give 2 ****s about Yoshi.

lol, bowser with Fox's Dair.

*goes to watch Envy's sig*

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
Mario's moveset should be judged by how it helps him and what it brings to the battlefield. This is generally why I don't debate about things like these much. Everyone has a different "approach" to this.
this thread should've been over with that lol

but as most topics in the mario board...were drifting off topic. instead of actually debating the move we're fighting with each other. their cant be a "tier list" for mario's movelist because hes so well rounded anyone can pick him up and utilize a part of mario that others dont. BigB for example always uses FLUUD. more then i've seen ANYONE else before. so if he was to be here im sure he'd say that FLUUD is "high tier". Matador on the other hand uses dair frequently, so that woudl go high in his list..etc etc.

see what im trying to get at guys?

@ viparagon:

jab > grab isnt a "true combo" IMO, its simply a mind game. force the other opponent to hold their shield.

brawl is rock paper sissors on a HD screen

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Matador on the other hand uses dair frequently, so that woudl go high in his list..etc etc.

see what im trying to get at guys?
Yeah... If I don't Dair 10 times per stock, something's wrong :laugh:

Still, we can get a general idea of where each attack stands. Our lists aren't all completely different.

viparagon

Smash Ace
Yeah... If I don't Dair 10 times per stock, something's wrong :laugh:

Still, we can get a general idea of where each attack stands. Our lists aren't all completely different.
yeah, like I love the bair:laugh:

@jprep
I was the one that said grab?jab isn't a real combo...

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Well, we all agree that Dtilt is bottom and Uthrow is second to bottom, that's a start. Also, should cape be top?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Well, we all agree that Dtilt is bottom and Uthrow is second to bottom, that's a start. Also, should cape be top?
Placing the cape is difficult...The amount of use it gets depends heavily on who you're fighting. No doubt it's the closest Mario gets to broken, but top tier along side Bair and fireballs? I'm not sure. High at least though.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably the only one here that likes Mario's Dtilt.

Jabs, Grabs, and Dtilt's. That's me. :laugh:

Every move has a use. If it doesnt, it's because you arent bothering creating a potential use for it. It just depends on how you go about using them. The best moves to me are the Cape, Bair, Upb, Dair, Uair, Nair, Dsmash and Fludd.

I enjoy watching video's of Mario mains in action. Everyone pretty much puts a stronger emphasis on different moves throughout the match. Oddly enough it works. And it gets the job done for them.

The best thing for everybody to do, is to learn off each other. Watch each other. And observe everybodys unique playstyle.

I've never seen BigB in action. Although I have played Trump card a few times I believe. He 2 stocked my G&W with the Fludd. :laugh: I could'nt get around it. Never was against anything like that before either.

Also, Matador's an aggressive cuss with that Dair of his. It comes outta nowhere at times. :chuckle:

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Mario's Dtilt is like Captain Falcon, always arguing that he's better than Uthrow...er, Ganondorf.

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
talk about jo~p to the rescue huh? lol

call me peacemaker jo..

#1 soultion? applying "The Jo~P combo"
*await my video fellow mario mains...*

but i do use dtilt once in a blue, when every move in mario's book has gone stale. im telling you guys!! high % dtilt -> nair!!!

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
I use Dtilt by accident prolly once a match, and its not bad when it lands. Goes well buffered from a Uair.. Buuut yeh.. Dtilt > Nair looks appropriate, my fav. move iz Uair tho so I may have 2 substitute.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Bump...

Thought it'd be interesting to see everyone take on this two and a half years later.

I'll make my list once I'm near a computer, but you can expect that Usmash and Fthrow are gonna be much higher on my personal list.

Dair would be too if it weren't already so high up. And lol...in 2011, dtilt has a use.

:phone:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
U-throw is actually really good. Mario mains just have to learn matchups. There's a number of characters where you WANT to U-throw them at 0 instead of D-throw, because it's less affected by DI than D-throw. U-throw is especially good against Marth and space animals for instance, where at 0 it's the ideal way to start U-air juggles.

Our worst move is FLUDD, but it's not entirely useless. Just situational to the extreme partly because it doesn't do damage. Ike's D-tilt is the worst move in the game for reference.

I don't care to see whether or not I posted here a long time ago, but I guess I'll go at ranking Mario's moves here now.

Top:
Fireball
Jab
B-air
F-tilt
U-air

High:
U-smash
D-air
D-throw
F-throw

Mid:
Up-B
Cape
N-air
F-smash
U-throw
Dash Attack
B-throw
U-tilt

Low:
D-smash
F-air
D-tilt
FLUDD

The one move I feel Mario mains overuse is D-smash. D-smash exists for situational punishes, and occasionally replacing U-smash in juggles when you need an alternate kill move. If you're using this as a GTFO move, you generally should be using Jabs or F-tilt, and Jabs especially deserve notice due to having the potential to lead to a Jab canceled D-smash hit confirm in some matchups (although you must be careful. D-smash has very short range, so it often can be safer to use F-tilt or D-tilt after Jab cancels which both have more range). Grabbing also tends to be better than D-smashing, doing similar damage while getting a better setup option of choice. There's more times than I care to count where I see D-smashes that should have been grabs on people who then block the D-smash.

Dash Attack is misunderstood and underused. It's a REALLY good option for chasing landings, since it's very easy to catch an airdodge with DA and then combo back into a grab. You can get similar results from DA for reading a spotdodge as well. At low percents though, use D-air to trap landings if possible. It's at higher percents where everything else doesn't combo where DA really starts to shine.

Xero is pretty spot on that Up-B has been underused for quite a long time. Honestly the range and speed on this move is crazy, and should be abused. Especially since on hit it keeps people in the air, and given that Mario has good options for trapping landings, you should be looking to land this move if you don't have other options for keeping the pressure on. Pay attention to where platforms are, as this is essential in keeping your Up-B attempts safe. Also learn to not grab the ledge when Up-B will punish people for a bad edgetrap attempt.

Also although we all know U-air is good, you don't know just HOW GOOD it is until you learn to implement it out of shield. For almost all intents and purposes, it's better to U-air out of shield than it is to N-air out of shield. It's only a single frame slower, and it has MUCH less commitment and way better potential to start combos/mixups, as well as doing slightly more damage.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
In my opinion, my personal tier list:

Jab <- Very mindgame oriented, and FAST.
Dsmash <- GTFO. As fast as Metaknight's dsmash(I believe).
Bair <- Bread and butter of Mario's spacing. Marth has fair, we have bair (imo).
Fireball <- Spammable projectile. Can lead to combos.

High
Uair <- Combo's, and you all know you guys get a little orgasm when you link a fair with this.
Utilt <- Think of this as a grounded uair. This goes below uair cause it's not as mobile
Usmash <- I think of this as an utilt that kills xD
Fsmash <- The range on this is OMGAH SEX, AND it's a reliable kill move... when it lands.

Mid - Rough approximate in order. These were hard to order.
Up-b <- I'm not a fan of up-b personally, but the usage of it makes it top of mid.
Dthrow <- I see this throw as a very mindgame oriented move, however it could put you at an undesirable position
Ftilt <- Very underused move. It's not as good as it's Melee counter part, but it's good as a follow up.
Cape <- This move SHOULD be top. However, Brawl's physics makes this move very gimicky
Bthrow <- Mario excels at edge guarding. This move throws them off the stage, plain and simple.
Fthrow <- Same as bthrow, however I rank bthrow higher because it's awesome in doubles.
Dair <- It pains me placing this here, but this section was hard for me to rank.
Fludd <- Gimick. However it does have some nice usages. LOL@Ness.

Low
Fair <- Pathetic spike. Even if you land it, if your opponent is above average, they will recover.
Uthrow <- I only use when I want to mix stuff up.. but worthless.
Dtilt <- Mario's Dtilt.

19 moves(If I counted correctly). 4 top, 4 high, 8 mid, 3 low.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
D-smash sucks and should only be used for punishes. It's not safe on block except in specific matchups or unless you push them off an edge or if you use it in a mixup after fireballs where you charge it to cover spotdodge, and usually U-smash is better in most of the situations where D-smash can be used UNLESS you need D-smash as an alternative kill option or for the Jab cancel followup in specific matchups.

U-smash should be ranked higher than D-smash almost certainly. It has the range and invul frames to cover options that no other move in Mario's movepool is able to cover. It's a reliable kill or juggle move, and it can be used out of dash. The ability to do it out of shield makes it even more amazing. U-smashing Metaknight out of shield in between hits of his D-tilt or F-tilt on a read is amazing.

F-throw is way more practical than B-throw. The followups after it are better because the move ends sooner and sends at a lower angle, so you can literally throw a fireball after F-throw and your opponent has to actually do things to avoid it. B-throw should be generally saved as an emergency kill move.

U-throw isn't worthless. It's just matchup specific. It's REALLY good against Marth and space animals. Spend a moment in training mode and see for yourself. Unlike D-throw, it's MUCH less affected by DI away.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'd have to agree with A2's list with Uair moved up one, as well as swapping Dair and Ftilt. Oh and I fail to see how Uthrow is better than Bthrow, Dsmash, or Utilt (I would probably swap Utilt and Uair TBH).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The problem with D-air is unless you're spacing the final hit, the move loses to too much stuff besides weak projectiles and some of Sonic's stuff basically. And there's another complaint I have with it I'm not going to reveal on Smashboards.

U-throw is kinda matchup specific, but against Marth, and space animals, it's one of Mario's best moves for starting combos. Platform placement also gives U-throw extra utility, because Mario can mix up people who land on platforms very effectively. Unlike D-throw, it is less affected by DI, so it can be easier to stay under someone after U-throw instead of D-throw for a land trap. You can control landings by throwing fireballs, so if you have a fireball covering one side and Mario covering more options, it's pretty easy to get virtually guaranteed damage from simply throwing the opponent above you.

B-throw I wouldn't use except for kills honestly for the most part, though that does make B-throw useful. It's just not a move you want to use often. F-throw tends to lead to edgeguard followups better, and your two other throws have better utility in setting up landtraps as well.

D-smash generally is outclassed by most of Mario's moves except when the opponent is open to be punished by it. Most of the time U-smash outclasses D-smash for juggles unless you need an alternative kill move. Jabs and F-tilt are usually better for controlling close range and safer. D-smashing a shield sucks unless you go for a mixup where you charge D-smash on a shielding opponent, though you might prefer to charge F-smash in that situation anyway.

U-tilt like D-smash is mostly for punishes, except it starts combos, and works as an anti-air, though it's not a move you should be trying to force due to its terrible horizontal range.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'll back A2Z up on that Dair comment.

Unless you're right on top of your opponent, it is quite easily beaten from the sides

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ike's Dtilt is not the worst move in the game. It's not even Ike'e worse move.

Mario's Usmash is broken :<
In basically every situation where you could D-tilt, U-tilt is better.

You could I guess argue either Eruption or D-smash as being worse. Though Eruption has occasional odd utility in edgetrapping due to the super armor and the massive hitbox. D-smash is easier to Jab cancel into than D-tilt and kills earlier. But seriously there really isn't a reason to use D-tilt except against like Wario's Up-B. It's slow, has a bad hitbox, and isn't great at killing or setting up anything, and it's not easy to set up into.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
THE REAL ****ING TIER LIST. YOU ARE ALL WRONG, AND I AM RIGHT.

Super Sexy and Amazingly Practical
Up-B: ARGUE WITH ME IF YOU ****ING DARE. I PROBABLY WON'T RESPOND FOR A WEEK BUT DO IT IF YOU WANT

Top, and Considerably Less Sexy (I should probably mention here that this is in no particular order)
Jab: Jab is really good for pressuring and mixups, I think. Also it's fast and whatnot NEXT MOVE.
Ftilt: Ftilt is like a longer ranged jab, mostly used for pressure against shields IMO, but can be used to slowly rack up damage.
Uair: Uair just rocks, I don't know why you wouldn't be using it both defensively and offensively, get your spacing right and it's freaking amazing.
Bair: Different applications than Uair, I mostly use it for pressuring, and sometimes small chains when I'm at an average distance. Decent range too!
Fireballs: Covers your approaches, and can punish some stuff. It's also sexy to look at because it's FIRE IN A DAMN BALL. Its arc is amazing.

High (Also in no particular order)
Fair: I'm serious, this move is good. I don't know how to explain it but it just is.
Dair: Pressure and whatnot, also leads into some guaranteed chains which are also nice.
Dthrow: With good reads Dthrow can lead to huge damage or a reset, and it's the best throw at low percentages most of the time.
Cape: Notsomuch up here because of gimping. But other stuff I don't feel like explaining.

I'll finish this in a couple months. That's all for now.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
F-air sucks, but Mario mains still need to learn to use it for punishes since opportunities to land it exist and it does more damage than Mario's other aerials. It's basically D-smash status if you ask me. Best for punishes really.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Dsmash is definitely only good as a punish move and/or a backup KO move if they've gotten to really high %s, but it is a GOOD punishing move. Not saying it's godlike or anything, but grouping it with Fair, Dtilt and FLUDD is really unfair.

Actually, grouping anything with Dtilt or FLUDD is pretty unfair (Don't get me wrong, they have their uses, and I actually use FLUDD when I play, but compared to everything else, ehhhh...).

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The speed and safety of Dsmash are what make me love the move...and it covers people who roll behind you, so it's awesome near the ledge. Not a kill move till the opponent DIs wrong or they're super high % (160?)

But yeah, it's a punisher. Not many smashes aren't punishers tho, to be perfectly honest.

My top tier consists of Jab, Fireball...and not sure what else atm, lol.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well I rarely use D-smash. I really just don't find it super practical. There's matches where I go by without ever using it. You'll observe this in some of the matches I just posted in the video thread no less. I feel in general D-smash is a crutch for many Mario users who feel the need for a panic button after dodging. You'll also notice in my playstyle that I spotdodge very infrequently.

I don't know which opponents you're playing Matador, but D-smash isn't safe on block unless you push them off the edge, in which case go ahead with it, though I personally think F-smash is better. The problem with D-smash is the hitbox has bad utility. Mario can set up into it reliably out of Jabs or through juggles, but it's not really good for filling in situations where no other move could do the job safer.

There is the rare time where you can space and charge D-smash so that you can cover people who might roll behind you (though I personally believe that it's very easy for Mario to cover people who roll behind him with his aerials alone). And there's also doubles where it also has slightly more utility. But in singles, for most situations, you either should be using it when you think it will kill, or you should be picking a safer option (such as first Jab canceling into it).

I'll save D-smash against easily juggleable characters when I need an alternative kill move, but I really just don't see myself using this move much unless I see an obvious punish opportunity that I'm trained to react to with D-smash.

D-smash IS groupable with F-air and D-tilt. F-air is also bad, but it serves a purpose as an aerial punisher, and mind you F-air can be made safer on block than D-smash because of the flexibility of aerial spacing, and it can be used as a shield poke on platformed stages. D-tilt can be Jab canceled into, has more range than Jab and D-smash, and sets up bait opportunities into U-smash at KO percents. D-smash doesn't really have utility. You just punish with it when your opponent makes a mistake, or you Jab cancel into it, or you only throw it out when you know it's going to kill.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I mean safe the same way MK's Dsmash or Falco's Fsmash are safe...the window of opportunity to punish isn't huge, and require a move with a bit of range and speed to punish...unless it's spotdodged.

Then there's the whole thing about it doing 16(?) percent, comboing from multiple reliable set-ups (jab, bair, etc), putting the opponent in the air AND offstage, and having the start-up of a tilt. Oh, and it kills sometimes.

All of those attributes put it a cut or two above our worst aerial and the worst move in the game, imo.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Our D-smash has the same startup, but more ending lag and much less range than MK's D-smash. It's not that good of a move, besides the fact it does 15% and okay knockback and can be comboed or juggled into.

Metaknight can punish Mario's D-smash by D-smashing or with dashgrab or dash attack. Falco can punish it with Dash attack, Shine, and I believe F-smash if he has good timing. Snake can punish with F-tilt and Dash attack easily. Diddy can Banana toss and dashgrab. G&W can F-air or B-air. Marth can F-smash, F-air, or Dancing Blade. Mario's D-smash isn't a safe move on block. You should be F-tilting or Jabbing if you're trying to get away with stuff on shield.

For that matter, MK shouldn't be trying to spam D-smash either. He's just given significantly more margin of error to be stupid with it. Point is D-smash is not a move Mario should be using often at all.

Top Bottom