• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier list of mario's moves

viparagon

Smash Ace
Its time for us to follow the trend!
This is IMO, but I think it reflects the general opinions of mario mains
the list is based off of the most common moves used my me, as well as their general usefulness
in order within tiers...

top:

bair
fireball
utilt
uair

high:

dthrow
cape
fsmash
dsmash

mid

jab
up+b
dair
usmash
fludd

low

nair
bthrow
ftilt
uthrow

bottom

fthrow
fair
dash attack

7th layer of hell

dtilt

fox219

Smash Journeyman
nice man. do you think mario's new d-special is better or worse than his old one?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
F-air is not bottom.

U-throw is not bottom.

There's plenty others, but I'm not really in the mood to go in depth about it.

viparagon

Smash Ace
F-air is not bottom.

U-throw is not bottom.

There's plenty others, but I'm not really in the mood to go in depth about it.
thats better ;) yea, ill move upthrow up, but I based the list so that there would be 4 for each category: what would u move into bottom to replace fair and uthrow:ohwell:

Matt07

Smash Master
I think Cape should be top, or higher then down throw, and FLUUD may be high tier. Fireball should be high tier, b-air should be high/bottom of top tier. But those are my opinions.

Matt07

Smash Master
Well I see how your trying to equally put them into catergories, but you can't really do that as you make some mistakes :p, and it's easier to change/fix other than changing the whole list, instead of worrying about one placement.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Well i'm really bored but I might as do this.

From top to bottom according to how important it is to Mario's move set

Bair
Upair
Nair (?)

Mid

i forget

low

i forget

bottom

definitly not dtilt lol

dash attack

im still thinking on the tier list. but im sure the top is correct

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The reason I have Dtilt alone in bottom is because it has no uses...at all. There's no reason why it should be used in a match because there's always something better. Uthrow has uses, Dash attack has uses, Fair definitely has uses. DA especially since it's fast, has IASA frames, and has some sick priority, and Fair has tons of untapped potential.

Dtilt....lulz

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
They should of at least given Mario's Dtilt the ability to trip...and in Melee, even Doc's Dtilt was better because it could occasionally stage spike.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
yay! another dtilt complaint thread! >_-
Nah, Dtilt is ok in some situations and has decent priority and reach but it's just way too punishable for little benefit; there's almost always something better to use than Dtilt. Maybe some day we'll find something godly for the Dtilt and then we'll complain about how underrated the Dtilt is to others *Dreams*

viparagon

Smash Ace
Nah, Dtilt is ok in some situations and has decent priority and reach but it's just way too punishable for little benefit; there's almost always something better to use than Dtilt. Maybe some day we'll find something godly for the Dtilt and then we'll complain about how underrated the Dtilt is to others *Dreams*
yeah, like how cool would it be to cancel dtilt into a ... WAVEDASH?!@?!? OMGHAX!:laugh:

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
For some reason when I do a NAir FF into a Dsmash, since I use C-stick, I accidently do a dtilt which actually hit's them. And the funny thing is that most people expect a Dsmash after a FFnair. MINDGAMEZS SON!

viparagon

Smash Ace
For some reason when I do a NAir FF into a Dsmash, since I use C-stick, I accidently do a dtilt which actually hit's them. And the funny thing is that most people expect a Dsmash after a FFnair. MINDGAMEZS SON!
yea, its useful sometimes as u can follow with a sweetspotted fsmash, and it actually works sometimes for characters with slow nairs (rob, charizard, zamus)

Teh Future

Smash Master
You guys overrate FLUDD in an attempt to make it seem like its not almost completely useless.

Dtilt pops people up in the air for an easy followup, good for combos and it has better reach than jab, although it is slower.

viparagon

Smash Ace
You guys overrate FLUDD in an attempt to make it seem like its not almost completely useless.

Dtilt pops people up in the air for an easy followup, good for combos and it has better reach than jab, although it is slower.
GTFO NOW

10peeps who shouldn't be on mario boards

Judge Judy

Smash Lord

Wow, I didn't know there were still people like this on SWF, I thought we were all past the "FLUDD sucks" phase. Oh well...http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196174

Anyway, Dtilt is awful and at best is a medicore juggling tilt at very specific percents.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
My list:

top:

(N)Barack Obama - Instant win :D
bair - Bair's too good ^^
fireball - I'm a camping-type player, so fireball's useful.
(+)uair - Comboable and can even ko/gimp if used correctly.
(-)utilt - I moved this below uair because all it can really do is combo compared to uair.

high:

(+)cape - One of the most feared move in the game, in my opinion, Mario's metagame is based around the cape.
(-)dthrow - Cape is just too versatile, tis why I moved this below cape
(+)dsmash - Can ko if you don't diminish it, FAST, but the way I use it, it's more of a "get out of my face" move.
(-)fsmash - Only reason I put this below dsmash is cause dsmash is too fast :] But fsmash is a reliable kill move.

mid

jab - 2 frames. Enough said :D
(+)nair - Has insane priority that can cut through most of Metaknight's specials. And can even ko.
(-) dair - Good shield pressure move, last move has good priority, what I like to do with this is end this(if the last hit don't knock too far away) with an utilt or grab, Melee style.
usmash - I was about to put this below fludd, but I use this more then fludd, this move can kill :D
fludd - Just like the cape, this is very versatile, but if you miss the initial skeet of the super soaker, you're pretty much a sitting duck...

low

ftilt - This is me being biased, as I'm like the only Mario that <3's the ftilt, I like to end combos with it if I don't want to diminish dsmash, and it's a good "get out of my face" move. Also has IASA frames.
(-)bthrow - I use this to set up edge guarding.. bout it.
(+)fthrow - same as bthrow.
(-)upb - Me being biased again.. I don't really like using his upb outside of recovering, I'd put this below fair and dash attack, but I know it has it's uses.

bottom

(+)dash attack - I probably use dash attack more than most Mario's, I know I shouldn't, but I like the sliding effect :D Can also combo into uptilt at low percent/bair at high percent.
(-)fair - I'd use it more often if some people didn't survive my spikes when they were at high percentages =/ Too slow ><
(-)uthrow - I moved this down, despite someone saying it kills at 180%.. because if you get someone to 180%, pretty much any move can kill them =/

7th layer of hell

dtilt - ugh...
(N)Sarah Palin - Just to make dtilt look good ^^

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario can't gimp alot of characters without Fludd. His defensive game is weaker without it. Characters like G&W and Peach would run right over him without it.

And if you've ever played BigB, you'd know why it's that high. He's the most annoying sob to play because he uses it so well.

Following up anything with a Dtilt is like following up a jab with an Fsmash. It won't work unless you're insanely lucky (which you shouldn't count on), your opponent is stupid (in which case you have much flashier things to catch them with), or you're on wifi. It also has bad ending lag.

Where would you place this?

Teh Future

Smash Master
I wouldn't place dtilt high, Im just saying it does have some uses. I would place it about where its at to be truthful lol mario doesn't really have many bad moves...

I also never said FLUDD isn't useful, I said its not very good, which its not... personally I think the lower part of the list would be-

upB
fair
bthrow
fthrow
FLUDD

dash attack
ftilt
dtilt
upthrow

personal preference. you guys will know the character better because you main him, but I don't think FLUDD is that good at all.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I thought this was already covered in HeroMystic's metagame analysis.

The Real Mario Moveset Tier List

by Skyler Ocon

Top Tier

Cape
Cape
Cape

High Tier

Cape
Cape
Cape
Cape
Cape

Middle Tier

Cape
Cape
Cape
Cape

Low Tier

Cape
Cape
Cape

Does-not-exist Tier

Dtilt
See?

Matt07

Smash Master
ROFL everytime I used a dtilt in Melee I always followed up with a Fsmash for a K.O.

SkylerOcon, down tilt begs to Differ.

Orignally Posted by Down Tilt.

The Real Mario Moveset Tier List

by Down Tilt

Top Tier

Dtilt
Dtilt
Dtilt

High Tier

Dtilt
Dtilt
Dtilt
Dtilt
Dtilt

Middle Tier

Dtilt
Dtilt
Dtilt
Dtilt

Low Tier

Dtilt
Dtilt
Dtilt
SkyerOcon you just got D-tilted.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt is for friendlies.

I'd place it in the ? category. No telling what might happen if you connect with it. :psycho:

Matt07

Smash Master
Lol we should have a Mario FFA, with All Items On, and only use down tilt. Items are on, because how else are we going to K.O?

Top Bottom