• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier list of mario's moves

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Lol we should have a Mario FFA, with All Items On, and only use down tilt. Items are on, because how else are we going to K.O?
You don't need items on, Dtilt still kills at like 500%, but if you want people die quicker you could just use a level with a lot of stage hazards...Dtilt FFA, lol.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
REAL Tier list:

Top tier:
any move you feel is good to use in a certain situation.
(dont try to change your playstyle because one of your fav moves is mid or low tier on these lists)

except dtilt..... never use dtilt hahaha

im serious dtilt= :(

lol

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Lol I'm gonna dedicate myself to find a use for d-tilt, I will come back with results...never xD.
We've already found uses for Dtilt it's just that there's a 0.000000000000...1/9.99999999999999... x 10^999999999999999... chance that it'll be the best choice in a situation.

Teh Future

Smash Master
OK so after actually taking a look at dtilt, there is no situation where you should use it.... lol seriously though I was completely wrong. I though it would have more range than ftilt, but I believe it has less if not the same. It has more startup and ending lag than his downsmash, which has the same range in front and range that extends behind. It also does 10% more damage. jab does more damage close up and has less startup and ending lag. for combos, its not going to work because of the significant ending lag.

Basically, never use dtilt ever. Oh and im dumb.

viparagon

Smash Ace
OK so after actually taking a look at dtilt, there is no situation where you should use it.... lol seriously though I was completely wrong. I though it would have more range than ftilt, but I believe it has less if not the same. It has more startup and ending lag than his downsmash, which has the same range in front and range that extends behind. It also does 10% more damage. jab does more damage close up and has less startup and ending lag. for combos, its not going to work because of the significant ending lag.

Basically, never use dtilt ever. Oh and im dumb.
thanks for repenting! thats the first time ive seen anyone do anything like that... kudos;)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I think I may have actually found a use for Dtilt recently. I was playing today and I *think* I hit somebody trying to jump up at me from below a platform with Dtilt. As in, dtilt has a disjointed hitbox below it.

Not sure about this, but would somebody mind confirming?

viparagon

Smash Ace
I think I may have actually found a use for Dtilt recently. I was playing today and I *think* I hit somebody trying to jump up at me from below a platform with Dtilt. As in, dtilt has a disjointed hitbox below it.

Not sure about this, but would somebody mind confirming?
hmm... interesting

its still dtilt tho, so you'll probably end up getting naired

Matt07

Smash Master
Lol I like how we find a use for d tilt, then we just 'shoot' it down by saying there's always a better move to use xD.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Lol I like how we find a use for d tilt, then we just 'shoot' it down by saying there's always a better move to use xD.
Canceling out Olimar's Dsmash with the Dtilt is farily useful since I haven't been able to do it with Ftilt.

Teh Future

Smash Master
I don't think fair is bad, but look at the moves above it. They are even less not bad lol.

I just tested dtilt on platforms, and it doesn't hit. You can hit someone holding on to the edge with it, but dsmash is faster and has more knockback with less ending lag.

viparagon

Smash Ace
I don't think fair is bad, but look at the moves above it. They are even less not bad lol.

I just tested dtilt on platforms, and it doesn't hit. You can hit someone holding on to the edge with it, but dsmash is faster and has more knockback with less ending lag.
I don't know... I conside fair worst in the game after falco and yoshi...

viparagon

Smash Ace
Yoshi's is bad? Doesn't it spike from grab release?
LOL just went over this on top ten moves thread... I consider that a function of yoshi's grab release, not the move itself.

Its really sad:laugh: the opponent has to be inside of yoshi's hurtbox for it to hit.

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
Jo~P's try at a use for dtilt:

at high percentages, due to dtilt's suckage, i found that it pops them up putting them in perfect range for a SH Nair. but then again its like rock paper siscors, if they air dodge, u can grab when they land. if they dont, they can get nair'd (and i think we all know a fresh nair at high percent is always nice).

just tryna utitlize every last bit of mario here lol

and everyone that says Fair sucks...ask matador how many times i land it.

he'll tell ya lol

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
and everyone that says Fair sucks...ask matador how many times i land it.

he'll tell ya lol
That sig is sexy. Bo does nice work :laugh:

*Shows off sig as well*

I think Fair has untapped potential, but compared to the rest of his moves and as of this moment, it's a step below. Especially since all of Mario's moves are pretty close in usage.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
LOL just went over this on top ten moves thread... I consider that a function of yoshi's grab release, not the move itself.

Its really sad:laugh: the opponent has to be inside of yoshi's hurtbox for it to hit.
A function of grab release? That's silly. If the move is vital to his gameplay in some shape or form, then it shouldn't be shortchanged because it requires a setup. Even then, it's not that bad without it. It's not like it's exceptionally laggy or weak; it's just normal.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
F-air is Epic.

And I use it plenty. F-air sucks as a spike, but it does what it's supposed to do.

viparagon

Smash Ace
A function of grab release? That's silly. If the move is vital to his gameplay in some shape or form, then it shouldn't be shortchanged because it requires a setup. Even then, it's not that bad without it. It's not like it's exceptionally laggy or weak; it's just normal.
the fact remains that hed be better off with any other spike in the game, but I see your point. Range and speed: these make a move good, no? yoshi's completely lacks both of those, and the sweetspot is extremely hard to land. average my ***

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
the fact remains that hed be better off with any other spike in the game, but I see your point. Range and speed: these make a move good, no? yoshi's completely lacks both of those, and the sweetspot is extremely hard to land. average my ***
*Sigh*

I see what you're doing now. You're simplifying the list based on what YOU think makes one attack better than the other. You realize that Yoshi's airspeed makes this attack much better than you're suggesting don't you? Add that to the fact that it's NOT slow and doesn't "lack range" or power, and you've got a pretty decent attack. The sweetspot isn't easy to land (at least for me), but that doesn't really change much; just means that you can't rely on spikes with it without practice. There's so much more to take into account when making these lists, I thought you realized this.

I'd understand if it just happened to be the worst compared to everyone else's, sort of like Bowser's Bair placement. His Bair isn't bad, but compared to pretty much everyone else's it's not spectacular. It's simply outshined. That doesn't seem to be the case here. You're implying that it's a bad attack, when there's not much bad about it.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mario's moveset should be judged by how it helps him and what it brings to the battlefield. This is generally why I don't debate about things like these much. Everyone has a different "approach" to this.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario's moveset should be judged by how it helps him and what it brings to the battlefield. This is generally why I don't debate about things like these much. Everyone has a different "approach" to this.
Exactly. It's like if you gave Fox's Dair to Bowser. It's the exact same move, but isn't nearly as effective.

viparagon

Smash Ace
I think up taunt is low tier, side taunt is mid, and down taunt is high. Down taunt looks the best.
utaunt is the best! Nothing says HIT ME! like blowing yourself up to 5 times your size and staying there for lonfer than average

Matt07

Smash Master
Lol that's the problem, so easy to punish when you use that taunt. I only use it when you get a star k.o lol. I'm very interested to see how many frames that move lasts for xD.

viparagon

Smash Ace
Lol that's the problem, so easy to punish when you use that taunt. I only use it when you get a star k.o lol. I'm very interested to see how many frames that move lasts for xD.
lol, taunts are for getting at your opponent, and the shear size of mario's utaunts hitbox is enough to have any character approach you:laugh:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
0.o

it loses out priority (range) wise to i believe every fair and bair in the game...
How'd you test this? Not like it matters very much, Yoshi's aerial speed is too good. It practically makes up for the range, which I still don't believe is THAT bad anyway.

My point, Mario's Dtilt is the worst move in the game imo, because it has no purpose, no use. Everything he can do with Dtilt (so far) can be done better with another attack. Yoshi's Fair has a purpose, a very good one in fact. A spike from grab release, kill potential, and a spot dodge punisher. Falco's doesn't even have a practical use.

bowser>dair>grab> pummel>grab release> grab> pummel >grab release>fair on MK? Thats pretty useful IMO
It wouldn't be nearly as useful. He's too big of a target, and Dair doesn't true combo into grab unless Fox jabs first IIRC.

viparagon

Smash Ace
How'd you test this? Not like it matters very much, Yoshi's aerial speed is too good. It practically makes up for the range, which I still don't believe is THAT bad anyway.

My point, Mario's Dtilt is the worst move in the game imo, because it has no purpose, no use. Everything he can do with Dtilt (so far) can be done better with another attack. Yoshi's Fair has a purpose, a very good one in fact. A spike from grab release, kill potential, and a spot dodge punisher. Falco's doesn't even have a practical use.

yeah, but dtilt isn't a fair:laugh:
I'd say sing is the worst move ever though, since it leaves you widely punishable and its in instead of a nysort of recovery:laugh:

It wouldn't be nearly as useful. He's too big of a target, and Dair doesn't true combo into grab unless Fox jabs first IIRC.
no, if fox's dair combos into usmash it can combo into a grab, and bowser's grab isb't slow, but w/e (bowser doing fox's dair would look awsome, tho
commentz in bold

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
Why is back throw so low? That can KILL at high percentages.

And front-air is a spike... Why is that so low. It's like Donkey Kong's front-air, I spike with it all the time.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
FLUDD should be above Usmash, FLUDD is a great defensive, gimping, spacing, and setup tool.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
FLUDD should be above Usmash, FLUDD is a great defensive, gimping, spacing, and setup tool.
i waaaayyy disagree with that :/
i think fludd so be lower if anything, and i <3 upsmash.
marios second kill move means something.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You guys need to lrn2FLUDD.

>_>

And B-throw kills at 140% without DI, 160% with it. Although, you have to be close to the ledge.

The Trump Card

Smash Cadet
I use F.L.U.D.D. a lot, I find it very useful against people with a lot of disjointed hitboxes like Marth and Lucario. In fact, I was able to beat a good Lucario the other day because of the F.L.U.D.D.

Top Bottom