• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tibs' diddy, tell me what i can improve on please,matches with shaya, a',amaterasu

tibs7

Smash Champion
i know i roll alot 'specially against a' but hes my brother sooo i knida know what he does and he spams spotdodge =S, anyway some help on how to improve would be a great help. thanks

TIBS (diddy kong) VS SHAYA (marth)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxZVmc0K1Jw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Kxcmi8JZw&feature=channel_page

TIBS (diddy kong) VS a' (snake)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa_zzSovMLw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOsFt_d5Fg8

TIBS (diddy kong) + a' (snake) VS SHAYA (marth) + DJBROWNY (metaknight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66I1pII-hI8&feature=channel_page

TIBS (diddy kong) VS AMATERASU (mk) - BEST MK IN AUS!

SET 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh6J61T5am8&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FazrOzsrnHw&feature=channel_page

SET 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsIYGNHJapQ&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UadT2vpNjic&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTAbBV4BbjI&feature=channel_page

tibs7

Smash Champion
yeah rolling gets punished so hard sometimes, i know its a bad thing to do...

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Stop rolling so much, it really is a bad habit.
On battlefield, stop super plucking, all the bananas land on the top platform and make it harder for you to get to.
I honestly only watched one match, I'll watch the others later when I have time and finish my critique then.

After watching every video

Okay, seriously, switch your shield triggers to "attack" for a couple games so you stop doing it so much or something (over exaggeration, I'm just messing with you). You're good, a lot better than some Diddys or players in general. You DI really well too which I can't say for a lot of people who post videos on the threads.

I also really, really like doubles, a lot more than I like singles. So it surprised me to see you go Diddy and Snake, let alone win. Bananas with all of Snake's junk normally does not work out too well. Also since Snake is always on the ground, nanner play is limited. Then Snake on teams in general is normally kind of sketchy because of how limited Snake is forced to play in doubles. I think Diddy's best partner will always be MK, but some people like ADHD will say D3.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
we verse each other all the time, so im used to working with/around bananas, and hes used to mines/nades. seems to work for us, anyway.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
1. Learn to Glide Toss effectively. Diddy's only positive asset is his nanners. If you don't know how to use them properly, you are better off not using them at all. Most of the time you just randomly threw them without thinking about the consequences. You pretty much handed them to the Snake.

2. Pretty good aerial game against that Marth but Diddy isn't very strong in the air. Against a better Marth, you would have been juggled like there was no tomorrow. You would be better off on the ground throwing your nanners.

3. You won your matches but the people you faced weren't very good. Study some of the matchups that you had the hardest time with. In the second video, that Snake should have won the match. When you were both that high of a percent, Snake should have taken you out first attack he did. I'm not saying that you got lucky, I'm just saying that Snake wasn't good.

EDIT: very good DI. I give you props.

tibs7

Smash Champion
haha werent very good...=(
they're like the best in australia...

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Seriously? That must mean 1 of two things:

1. Australians suck.

2. They didn't know the matchup very well.

jkjkjkjk (kinda :))

EDIT: That MK wasn't bad but I only watched one vid. I think glide-tossing would help you a lot. It just makes your movement so much more fluid. Just trust me on this. Also, as I said before, watch what you do with the nanners. plan out ahead of time where they are going to be. Are you new with Diddy? It seems like you just picked him up.

tibs7

Smash Champion
mmmm yeah i normally do glidetoss like HEAPS but i was sooo nervous, i mean this guy is best in AUS.
haha nah didnt just pick him up, been playing with him properly for about 2-3months

Browny

Smash Hater
lol tibs. Dont worry, people always say everyones opponent sucks in critique vids, and saying australia only makes it worse :p

honestly though when i was watching you it became really noticeable to me how often you gave away your advantageous position. Whenever the enemy wasnt in your face, you should have gotten both bananas out asap and reset the spacing. keep one in your hand and one nearby. Too often you either didnt pull any bananas out while the enemy was away or you pulled out one and just threw it at the enemy. against someone like MK, if you throw 1 banana at him without a second one protecting the ground in front of you, its too easy to catch the banana and simply glidetoss dsmash which really should have happened A LOT more often. I too was thinking to myself that chris didnt know the matchup. he could have dair camped with tornadoes to retreat but he constantly took you head-on, which worked reasonably well since without any multiple bananas in your posession, its too easy.

tibs7

Smash Champion
djb, yeah i know they do

thanks for telling me that ^ ill keep that in mind, chris said confidently that he knew the matchup since he plays vyse heaps..this was the first real metaknight ive versed.

tibs7

Smash Champion
djb, yeah i know they do

thanks for telling me that ^ ill keep that in mind, chris said confidently that he knew the matchup since he plays vyse heaps..this was the first real metaknight ive versed.

Count

Smash Champion
Only watched the first set vs chris! Great Job! "Chris" has an excellent meta knight, it is no wonder he is one of the top players in austrailia. You really read your opponents well, I was impressed with you diddy.

Everyone, keep in mind that everybody looks worse on vids than in person..While I didn't watch any other games yet (I have to go study more :() it was apparent that Chris' meta knight was excellent.

As noted, you roll way too much. All chris had to do was stand and dsmash and you would've been continually dsmashed.

Also, it seemed to me when your opponent had you frustrated that you would just throw a banana, and run in and dash attack. You are a really good reader, but when you get frustrated you go into what we call 'autopilot mode,' where you throw a nana and run in and dash attack. Good players will punish you for that, and that is what chris did.

Your DI was good at times, but I also felt like you could've possibly survived a bit longer a few times. I could've been misjudging though.

OOOH last thing, READ THIS if you get anything. Angle your sheld upward vs MK's tornado. Seems like minor detail, but it REALLY helps.

You have a great diddy, I feel like if you would dribble a bit more and peanut cancel etc more you could be really really great, due to your excellent reading skills. I would give a lot to combine my diddy with yours-I feel like I dribble and what not better but you are a GREAT reader, don't get overwhelmed and not use that to your advantage.

Hope this post is helpful.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
mmmm yeah i normally do glidetoss like HEAPS but i was sooo nervous, i mean this guy is best in AUS.
haha nah didnt just pick him up, been playing with him properly for about 2-3months
I know what you mean, but you can't let that happen. It makes people play so much worse. And 3 months isn't really that long of a time. Diddy is one of the hardest characters to get down. You are destined for great things young grasshopper.

Also to djbrowny, was kidding about the Aussie thing. I still don't see what was so great about those guys.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Probably wasn't my best day, I'm still off color since that tournament.
+ first time I've ever vsed a Diddy in a tournament set.

But Tibs reads brilliantly, and combos magnificently well with nanas. Anyway, people need to stop raging that this is some anti-aussie thread. Aus sucks against Diddy :). But it's ultimately stupid when people are trying to critique something and all that they can talk about is the opponent.

TreK

Is "that guy"
WEEHEE you use the dodge drop
i liked the ending of the norfair match lol, you've done like you were going for the banana, and bam uair lol
*is watching the other ones*

tibs7

Smash Champion
+ first time I've ever vsed a Diddy in a tournament set..
lol shaya your the first marth ive versed in a tourny set...sif you havent versed vyse before....aw well i really want to go to sydney and everywhere other state for smash now =)

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
In your BF match, I noticed you were pretty quick to throw away the bananas.

You don't need to do that -- Marth needs to come to you, just hold a banana and shoot some peanuts. Punish attacks on shield with bananas.

Of course you can't only do that, but I think holding your bananas and waiting for a more opportune moment might help more than throwing them around and chasing them.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
+ first time I've ever vsed a Diddy in a tournament set.

But Tibs reads brilliantly, and combos magnificently well with nanas. Anyway, people need to stop raging that this is some anti-aussie thread. Aus sucks against Diddy :). But it's ultimately stupid when people are trying to critique something and all that they can talk about is the opponent.
Calm down, I was kidding about the Aussie thing. I'm half australian myself. But were those guys really the best in Australia?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Calm down, I was kidding about the Aussie thing. I'm half australian myself. But were those guys really the best in Australia?
the mk was, but there's also a snake who's supposed to be equal/better, but I've never played him or seen him play, there was also others who were really good but they quit brawl and went back to melee

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
the mk was, but there's also a snake who's supposed to be equal/better, but I've never played him or seen him play, there was also others who were really good but they quit brawl and went back to melee
Oh ok, if anyone knows who that Snake is tell me. I would like to know.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
first time I've ever vsed a Diddy in a tournament set.
We played each other in pools at Summer Smash remember :mad:

What you say is true though. You tore through everyone that day and nearly won the whole god**** thing. But I didn't drop a Diddy v Marth match to you all day :laugh:

Anyway, Tibs, I'll watch the vids and critique later (In a lecture atm).
It's funny cause for once I can say I've played against the players you've faced in these videos :laugh:

Attila_

BRoomer
best in aus hasnt appeared in a tourny in a while, says hes too busy with high school. i reckon he just doesnt want to lose. he mains anyone whos awesome, namely mk, snake and falco. goes by the name 'cobalt/suntan luigi''. his snake beat mine in feb, but that was a while ago, and i want a rematch.

tibs7

Smash Champion
tis true he mains only the best, havent seen him use someone below dedede once, but i heard he used to use ice climbers for cg's....he'll pop up soon enough

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Just jumping in briefly here:

• The first thing I noticed was your general lack of conviction in both your movements. You ran around a lot at the beginning of your set with Amaterasu without much of a clue in either how to approach or what your defensive posture should be. You threw out attacks somewhat haphazardly, and they would occasionally hit. Stage zoning and match tempo are two things that everyone should always aim to control, and you lacked both. You got better and more conscious of prepping your setups beforehand as the set wore on, but you need to make sure, that consistent good play is present from beginning to end.

• A lot of your matches feel reactionary, and are generally very thin on punishment. This (mostly) seems like an issue of another Diddy Kong player entirely sidestepping the requirement to learn match-ups by trucking through entire sets in an offensive blitz. That was more or less my style in a nutshell when I picked up competitive Brawl last summer, and then I ran into a wall whenever match-up inexperience caught up with me. Try ratcheting back the offense a bit and test which of your opponent's moves and tactics you can safely punish in and out of shield; y'know, things of that nature.

• As always with most Diddy Kong players, try to cut back on rolling. It may take you awhile to break this habit, since punishment of this habit was surprisingly thin in many of your matches.
As an aside, there does seem to be a skill disparity between the United States and pretty much the rest of the world. That much has always been known and acknowledged, but I just want everyone to know that "go find better opponents" is not a valid suggestion where constructive criticism is concerned.

Attila_

BRoomer
wed be more than happy to play better opponents, but we're the cream of the crop on this lil island, so there doesnt seem to be much more to find... and aus wifi sucks really, really badly...

and he does lack matchup experience, as do i, simply because aus lacks players. there isnt a solid mk user that rocks up to tournys in melbourne (it was the first time that i or tibs had versed an mk), and the one we played happened to be the best, so it makes sense that the start was a struggle. similarly, there arent any good warios/zss/marths in our state either, so all of these important matchups are relatively unknown.

biggest problem is, what can we do about this? i happy with my main, and muck around with a few other characters, but do not plan on using them to the point ive used snake. and neither will any of us. frankly, this might be why tibs is doing so well atm. aus only has one diddy and (correct me if im wrong) but he hasnt ventured outside his state to brawl, so no one knows the matchup. and given how important it is to know how to play diddy (bananas are unlike anything else in the game), its not surprising that aus is struggling to cope with him atm. but wed probs struggle if a solid wario appeared, too.

Browny

Smash Hater
Australian wifi doesnt suck really badly, I really cant believe how few people in aus actually use it. Everyone seems to be under the impression theres like whole seconds of lag. Its called dont download movies at the same time, and wifi works fine! lol

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Actually, I'm now inclined to believe you dj.

It's just that alot of our connections are shiesse.
At least mine is. Playing a local game of Left 4 Dead, it's not uncommon for me to have a ping of 200-300, so it's pretty much out for me.

Browny

Smash Hater
What do you base your experience off? last month i was capped, running at only 330kbps and i was able to irc, msn and wifi someone in melbourne with a very stable, low-lag connection. Im not saying wifi is great, but peoples arguments as to why its crap are often horribly flawed, and make no effort to close background bandwidth-stealing programs. I hope you guys have at least given it a proper shot before dismissing it entirely... Id like to play vs all the best people in aus too without having to spend $200 to go interstate to do it lol

tibs7

Smash Champion
djb ill admit its good against melbourne people but others not so good, maybe if we had like japanese internet speed then i'd consider but playing offline is sooo much smoother =), maybe im just not a wifi person....

Sieg

Smash Champion
Learn to get a really fast internet connection.

Or just wait till KRudd ups the National network.

Oh wait, 7 years.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The national network won't affect wireless usb broadband.
And that's easy for you to say Sieg, your parents are the ones paying for your internet (despite the fact that what you're saying is right).

$40/6 gb/month is more than enough for what I realistically need.
I get in enough Brawl practice at meets anyway.

Browny

Smash Hater
if youre paying $40/month for internet, and you get 50kbps, you're getting MAJORLY ripped off

by wireless usb, do you mean the nintendo wifi USB adapter thing?

Nope

Smash Lord
I have to agree with what Le Thien said here and I would also like to add a few things of my own.

- More grabs! So many times during you matches you downsmash or dash attack into a shield only to get punished and put into a bad position. Especially after you threw and banana and it already hit their shield. Mix it up a bit with grabs and throw them away to reposition yourself to deal with what they try next.

- Keep your bananas out and grouped... They are your protectors! Seriously it makes life 10x easier as Diddy when you have part of the stage controlled and your bananas out and ready to handle any threat they throw at you. There are many times in the matches where you have chances to get them out but you rush in to give your opponent easy chances at racking up percentages and KOs.

- Don't chase after your bananas. A few times during your sets against MK you chase after a single banana without another one out only to get knocked off the map. Play smart, retreat and pull out a new banana and either wait for the other one to time out or approach with the one you have.

-Mix up your banana game. In your matches you primarily throw your banana straight at your opponent or throw it straight down with no glide toss into a smash attack. Make sure to mix it up! Throw them up in the air jump and thrown them forward, dribble or shoot a peanut with a banana in hand. Use these to trick your opponent and make them a little more Conservative when they approach you.

Sieg

Smash Champion
He means the mobile broadband.

He's right to a certain extent. but if Rudd was ****ing smart, he'd scrap the whole project and buy a couple of ****ing sattelites. Less cost, less time, will affect more people.

Until this happens, you'll never see a proper game of Wifi in Australia.

Top Bottom