• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thought's on Kirby's current tier postion?

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Kirby's combo power and great strength for his size/weight and great recovery helped keep him in his spot, which he rightfully deserves. He has so many move strings (cant really call them combos) its ridiculous. His lightness, lack of range, and other obvious drawbacks are what keep him from moving farther up. The matchups are just too iffy.

Lucario is only this high IMO cuz of his crazy RANGEEEE. All his attacks are lengthened by the blue aura crap that comes out of his hands/feet to reach everywhere, and his Aura Sphere is great for camping. Think about it, his hitboxes reach waaaay farther than his actual body parts cuz of that blue stuff. Craziness. But yea, he's got drawbacks too. He's light, slow-moving, and weak (at low%).

Everyone has their pros and cons..............................................................................except MK. He's a *****. =D

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
i have a great idea.
everyone do bad with kirby to lower his position until the next teir list, where we make our comeback and learn to wavedash. then i will rule the universe!!

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kirby's combo power and great strength for his size/weight and great recovery helped keep him in his spot, which he rightfully deserves. He has so many move strings (cant really call them combos) its ridiculous. His lightness, lack of range, and other obvious drawbacks are what keep him from moving farther up. The matchups are just too iffy.
Kirby's range can be worked around, he can sirvive a lot (a bit less than MK) if you DI+momentum cancel the opponent's kill moves, and what other drawbacks? Kirby is like an underpowered MK, in my opinion, and yes, I'm biased as ****! But I still prefer him above all other characters! :laugh:

i have a great idea.
everyone do bad with kirby to lower his position until the next teir list, where we make our comeback and learn to wavedash. then i will rule the universe!!
I want to rule the universe.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
kirby has great manuverable recovery. he wicked strong for a light character. combos from grabs. range and a lot of good moves. kirby is a great character in all.
but kirby is just kirby.
he has nothing special. no gamechanging techniques
the only way for him to progress is through character specifics. i.e. using copy abilitys to the full.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
kirby has great manuverable recovery. he wicked strong for a light character. combos from grabs. range and a lot of good moves. kirby is a great character in all.
but kirby is just kirby.
he has nothing special. no gamechanging techniques
the only way for him to progress is through character specifics. i.e. using copy abilitys to the full.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

He can inhale>footstool like half the cast, killing at 0% if they're dumb enough to get inhaled near the ledge (even dumber ON the ledge)... Imagine when you're edgeguarding (far offstage, obviously), you inhale, and prepare to footstool when they break out... You survive, they die no matter where they end up! That's a special Kirby trait no other character has.

Plus his grab combo at 0% on almost the whole cast if they don't know what to expect, easy ~30%.

And like you said, his copy ability is pretty good versus some characters, like Olimar for example. Kirby's pikmins are more spammable and destroy Olimar's pikmins.

He's an awesome character with STILL some juice to squeeze out!

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
kirbicide does own face.

i mean if you get falcos lasers(kirby craps on falco anyway)
warios bite
snakes grendades. you know these make kirby better. they up his game.
i like kirby because sometimes his game will change based on who he is playing.
i dont mean olny using the b button. but i do think it is necesary. no nooobish stuff

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
kirbicide does own face.

i mean if you get falcos lasers(kirby craps on falco anyway)
warios bite
snakes grendades. you know these make kirby better. they up his game.
i like kirby because sometimes his game will change based on who he is playing.
i dont mean olny using the b button. but i do think it is necesary. no nooobish stuff
I understand what you mean, and I can only state that it depends on the oplayer. I know kirby's copy is amazing at some matchups... but people like me just prefer to jump in and combo, and forget kirby can copy 'em.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
I understand what you mean, and I can only state that it depends on the oplayer. I know kirby's copy is amazing at some matchups... but people like me just prefer to jump in and combo, and forget kirby can copy 'em.
mostly i do this. i dont focus on copy.
but if i can work it in i will do it.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll revive this thread due to a lot of threads on the Kirby boards disappearing.

i have a great idea.
That is a great idea, it worked for Ice Climbers, it can work for Kirby as well. =P

Lovely

Smash Lord
That is a great idea, it worked for Ice Climbers, it can work for Kirby as well. =P
♣ The real reason why Ice Climber rose higher is that a certain someone made a lot of twisted discoveries for them, not only that, a certain someone has been placing high with them as well. ;p ♥

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
♣ The real reason why Ice Climber rose higher is that a certain someone made a lot of twisted discoveries for them, not only that, a certain someone has been placing high with them as well. ;p ♥
So, you're saying that the Kirby mains representing us aren't as capable?

... Well, they're good players, but not GREAT &^*&@ players, so i wouldn't expect anything amazing happening with Kirby... We'll stay like all the other non-top tier characters who don't have top-level representation.

... Which is my goal!!! Rep Kirby as a TOP LEVEL PLAYER.

:colorful::colorful: Pound 4 :colorful::colorful:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Well honestly, ICs have LOTS of potential. They went up because we found really broken stuff.

Kirby...? Not so much. He's just a good base character. What you see is what you get.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well honestly, ICs have LOTS of potential. They went up because we found really broken stuff.

Kirby...? Not so much. He's just a good base character. What you see is what you get.
Sometimes, the tools characters give you make your character better than others who keep finding stuff... How is Olimar any different from Kirby in this aspect? How has ZSS not gone over Kirby yet, even after all the crazy stuff found before Tier List v3.0?

And, personally, I think that ICs went up, because... If you compare the results you get from learning to ICs to the results you get from getting used to many other characters by spending the same amount of time learning them, you'll see that ICs bring you better results. Findings are cool and all, but tier positions are also an effect of what a character can do for you when you learn them well enough... If you really learn Kirby, and you learn him VERY well, you would come to the conclusion that Kirby is definitely high tier material (he does very good in too many situations to warrant himself a spot anywhere lower than the top 1/3 of the cast).

Lovely

Smash Lord
So, you're saying that the Kirby mains representing us aren't as capable?

... Well, they're good players, but not GREAT &^*&@ players, so i wouldn't expect anything amazing happening with Kirby... We'll stay like all the other non-top tier characters who don't have top-level representation.

... Which is my goal!!! Rep Kirby as a TOP LEVEL PLAYER.

:colorful::colorful: Pound 4 :colorful::colorful:
♣ Oh no no no no no, I didn't mean that. I was just saying the reason why Ice Climber is currently doing so well. I do hope your Kirby performs well in Pound 4 as well, make him proud. ^_^ ♥

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Like everything would be found within a year of this game coming out, amirite? =P

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ True, it does take time to make or find out new stuff in any game around the time length. So which color Kirby you will use next tourney Viper? ♥

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Most likely GB or Ice color Kirby depending on who I fight. That's if I'm going all Kirby, most tourney's I like to switch it up.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Sadly, I think I might see Kirby drop this time, but not by much, maybe at least one spot right now. Unless your Kirby get's back in the public offline tournaments. XD ♥

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Kirby should drop. I don't know how much but he should at least be below ZSS and Lucario. He is a solid, user-friendly character but he has some big time problems that certainly restrain him from being A-rank material. He can be very predictible, and people are figuring out how to fight him. Nearly his entire moveset is shield grabbed if not spaced perfectly. Because of this, he does not have any safe approaches. Camping hurts him. Also, he has some awful matchups against some common tourny characters such as Snake, G&W, Marth and ICs.

btw when is the next tier list coming out?

LaIotun

Smash Apprentice
Kirby should drop. I don't know how much but he should at least be below ZSS and Lucario. He is a solid, user-friendly character but he has some big time problems that certainly restrain him from being A-rank material. He can be very predictible, and people are figuring out how to fight him. Nearly his entire moveset is shield grabbed if not spaced perfectly. Because of this, he does not have any safe approaches. Camping hurts him. Also, he has some awful matchups against some common tourny characters such as Snake, G&W, Marth and ICs.

btw when is the next tier list coming out?
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8432234&postcount=9092
Yeahyuhz

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I would only say Lucario if he raises, but being under ZSS is very debatable on most parts. She mostly get's wrecked by most A and S tier characters, where Kirby is mostly around even with most of them.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I would only say Lucario if he raises, but being under ZSS is very debatable on most parts. She mostly get's wrecked by most A and S tier characters, where Kirby is mostly around even with most of them.
really? I need to look at her matchups again because they were real decent unless it was outdated...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
It might be outdated, only characters I'll say she has an advantage on would be R.O.B. and Kirby, (I still object to this, but I have no proof because I don't feel like traveling to beat someone that lives too far becuase there's very little good Zero Suit Samus but they don't count if they are good or not when I use their name on match up threads). Anyone else on the A and B tier she doesn't do too well against.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Zero Suit Samus is overrated, I really want to see her drop badly, she make Samus users look bad. ;_; ♥

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
♣ Zero Suit Samus is overrated, I really want to see her drop badly, she make Samus users look bad. ;_; ♥
ZSS is tons better than Samus... Believe me, I've used both (actually mained both... My first failed main was Samus+ZSS, then my first successful main was plain ZSS).

§leepy God

Smash Master
Lovely pretty much hate's Zero Suit Samus, that's why she want's her to drop, lol. I'm going to start using Kirby now since I grew more attached to him, and he's getting no love from the people that make the tier list, (I guess it's a shame since I mostly use Jigglypuff). D:

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Your better off using Jigglypuff, you never use Kirby right, lol. Anyways, ZSS case there are some that say she should rise at least two spots, but there are many that think she should rise three or five spots, I don't know how many spots she should move, but I don't see her above Ice Climers current spot.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Your better off using Jigglypuff, you never use Kirby right, lol.
I can say the same with you and Ness, but that would be a lie since you play Ness very good. I wanted to try out Kirby since you try out just about half my mains and I haven't tried none of yours. D:

Lol at ZSS making Samus look bad.

Brawl makes Samus look bad :p
That's an even better answer, I think I can add you to the list of epic members. ;3

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Samus to a certain extent, but it's much like Ganon, CF, Link etc. Ganon is probably my fav character in this game. However, he sucks due to the game's nature.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Shooting and graphing beam in the air is the most fun. ); ♥

♣ That reminds me, how many Kirby mains on the Kirby boards go to tourney's currently to rep Kirby? That kind of helps the reason why people want Kirby to drop. ♥

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
... You raise a good question, there's not many I would know that perform well in tourney's. I do wonder if Falln goes to offline tourney's, he's been heard from a good amount of sites, but I haven't seen his Kirby in action before. Also most Kirby mains on the Kirby boards either haven't perform well in tourney's, or unable to go at the moment.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I rep Kirby very well in Puerto Rico's tourneys, but I've yet to go to a large USA one.

You could ask any Puerto Rico SWF member how I do with Kirby, if you want a second-person (opponent's) or third-person (spectator's) point of view... But come Pound4, I won't need to repeat that, because I'm going to play as much as possible, against as many different people as possible! :mad:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I sadly can't go to tournies right now, as I have had financial troubles and am currently barely making ends meet, and have a $550 fine to pay off as well.

That being said, I haven't done too well either. I dunno, I do all right against tough opponents, but against easier ones, I seem to falter.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I rep Kirby very well in Puerto Rico's tourneys, but I've yet to go to a large USA one.

You could ask any Puerto Rico SWF member how I do with Kirby, if you want a second-person (opponent's) or third-person (spectator's) point of view... But come Pound4, I won't need to repeat that, because I'm going to play as much as possible, against as many different people as possible! :mad:
Oh sorry. I hope you do well your next tourney, as for me I'm going to sharpen my skills a bit before going to big tourney's since I have to relearn because of Puyo Puyo 7.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I want Pound 4 to happen already... I bought my plane ticket and already registered, now all I gotta do is buy winter clothes and I'm SET!

Let's see if I can win some extra $$$ in random tourneys, from here until January... MM money!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I want Pound 4 to happen already... I bought my plane ticket and already registered, now all I gotta do is buy winter clothes and I'm SET!

Let's see if I can win some extra $$$ in random tourneys, from here until January... MM money!
I plan on being there. If so, friendlies? (Or, if I have enough money that I can afford giving you almost free money, MM?)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I plan on being there. If so, friendlies? (Or, if I have enough money that I can afford giving you almost free money, MM?)
Of course, man! You'll have to remind me, though... I have a very small problem, see: whatever I'm told, if I don't apply it daily or repeat it every day to myself, I forget. My horrible attention span makes it hard for me to remember things if I don't make sure I implant it into my memory.

And, I also want you to play against my friend NOT because I want to test you, but because I want to see how you would play against them, and see if I could learn anything new from another person... In turn, I'll play anyone you want me to play! ;D

Top Bottom