• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This world... - The Subspace Emissary

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
Threw the Japanese page into a Google translation to see if anything additional was included:

As for this world, “the figure” fights.

Only fighting those which are not known.
Them who can exist by the fact that it fights.

As for the notion that where, it returns to the figure, for the very thing
“Aggressive failure” is meant.

That with that, was the world where there is a rule.

But,

Those which when tear “discipline” appear suddenly there .......

And nothing really stands out. I like to compare the different regional sites to see if there's ever anything we're missing out on. Unfortuneatly nothing regarding the "This World" update. I do notice, whats with the translation of "gold" "wood" "water" "fire" "month" next to any date on the Japanese page?

Check the Google translation here.
And the original Japanese page here.

K_to_the_Z

Smash Cadet
I'm bumping my own post cause it semt to go unnoticed and I need more feedback.

Sorry, but i haven't have a clue of ya'll talking about the clouds in the sky yet but its been ravin' round on the IGN forums but this is the only place i can post at, but what ya'll think of this pic I, yes I, made out

Shot at 2007-07-21

Who I think from left to right

Ocelot (probably not but just a guess, please dont hate on it)

Have no clue but seems like something out of Zelda

Zant or Ganadorf/ganon? or looked at from another angle looks like master hand

Obviouslt Bowser

Riddley

Edit:
Tell me your thoughts please

my belief is that that picture represents the approach of the huge franchise villains. Metaknight, villain of the Kirby games, arrives in the halberd, while Bowser is in the clouds, and Ridley one of the biggest villains of Metroid is there too. I'm guessing one of those clouds is Ganon or Ganondorf, and yes there is a difference. The whole "Faces in the clouds" has been used so much that it's hard not to believe it. Dark Clouds are actually symbolic for villains.

NukeA6

Smash Master
The purple fog guy is probably a corrupt trophy. Maybe trophies being corrupted is one of the effects of one who breaks the rules. The rule-breaker probably stole Metaknight's ship and rules in Bowser's Castle (if it is in the game).

EDIT:I do think the cloud thing is just speculation but I can clearly see Bowser's and Ridley's head. I'm sure many do already.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
The purple fog guy is probably a corrupt trophy. Maybe trophies being corrupted is one of the effects of one who breaks the rules. The rule-breaker probably stole Metaknight's ship and rules in Bowser's Castle (if it is in the game).

EDIT:I do think the cloud thing is just speculation but I can clearly see Bowser's and Ridley's head. I'm sure many do already.
Interesting theory. And when you earn a trophy or character what you're doing is 'purifying' it?

Fawriel

Smash Master
If we really want to make the story deep, why not make it deep NINTENDO style.

Seriously, a Nintendo character breaking the rules for freedom to benefit everyone, while putting this very world at stake, really isn't Nintendo.

No, what's more likely is this.

What if those purple dudes are robots. I mean, real robots. More specifically, robots which not only resemble our favourite characters, but were made to replace these characters, to take their places in this world, Terminator style? To do that they need to capture every character and turn them into trophies. Of course, you can take each character's trophy back (e.g. save them), thus unlocking them for the story mode.

Think of it. What if breaking the rules means no more trophies to battle with? Our own world's rule is this. There are people who live, talk, breathe, eat, sleep. These are the rules of our world. But when something breaks this rule, something terrible would happen. What if that terrible thing means the disappearance of the world? According to some philosophers our world is created by us being here. Without something to percieve this world, this world would not exist.
I think this theory has quite some potential, but it... confuses me a little.
How is that rule broken?
You mean the robots that suddenly appear break the rule of the world of brawling by disposing of the Brawlers or.. what?
Try to explain it again, please, I'm intrigued.

Also, why would that make it more "Nintendo"?
I admit, I'm not an expert on the subject of Nintendo games... but I do know that it's a Japanese and relatively traditional company. And a lot of Japanese stories contain at least traces of Zen somewhere. Which also explains why the dolls in Smash64 strive to destroy their creator and return to lifelessness, which could be equated to the nothingness of the Nirvana in some way.
Your philosophy sounds somewhat more Western.

EDIT: Oh, and your idea reminded me of someone who suggested that other Brawlers were turned into those puppets.
That way, you'd fight characters you unlock as puppets without knowing what fighter to expect until they are defeated and "purified".
Whoever had that idea, I don't remember, deserves credit.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I've posted this on Pixeltendo:

One post just hit me:

yea the purple guy could be his new toy and this is his world.
Basically when making your own fantasy world you're making rules for it, like, cars can fly or building blocks are houses. They always do what you tell them to do. They won't rebel, they won't fight you.

But once you're done with that fantasy, you'll start playing with other fantasies. Sometimes however old fantasies come in conflict with your new ones, somehow you want to incorporate the old with the new. Sometimes old fantasies will fight back for their rights, to not be forgotten.

The kid once played with the trophies. These trophies fought each other, he set several rules for each character. However, once he got new and real toys from his parents, he started neglecting his old toys, the trophies. However, doing so he has broken his own rules. He incorporated a toy into it, a doll. This doll also wants to fight, but his original rules were where trophies fight. So now the trophies need to take back their rights, so that they won't be neglected.

What I mean is that the robots are the new toys of the boy. They go by different rules. But the rules of this world still applies.

Also from that site:

You are all missing one sentence:

"They know nothing but fighting. Fighting is the sole reason for their existence."

They exist to fight. They live to fight. It's not the other way around. They were made to fight.

We people were made to live and reproduce. That's basically all we do.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord

Is this Kirby standing on his trophy platform is is it a warp star? It almost seems like the images in the update aren't exaclty in the right sequence.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
I've posted this on Pixeltendo:

One post just hit me:

Basically when making your own fantasy world you're making rules for it, like, cars can fly or building blocks are houses. They always do what you tell them to do. They won't rebel, they won't fight you.

But once you're done with that fantasy, you'll start playing with other fantasies. Sometimes however old fantasies come in conflict with your new ones, somehow you want to incorporate the old with the new. Sometimes old fantasies will fight back for their rights, to not be forgotten.

The kid once played with the trophies. These trophies fought each other, he set several rules for each character. However, once he got new and real toys from his parents, he started neglecting his old toys, the trophies. However, doing so he has broken his own rules. He incorporated a toy into it, a doll. This doll also wants to fight, but his original rules were where trophies fight. So now the trophies need to take back their rights, so that they won't be neglected.

What I mean is that the robots are the new toys of the boy. They go by different rules. But the rules of this world still applies.
ZOMG Super Toy Story Bros.?

And on the subject of the clouds: I can definitly see bowser and ridley, sorta master hand, and sorta Ganon. Of course ALL of these could easily be wild speculation and/or coincidence, but for the sake of exploring what little is known, I'm ok with looking at clouds in the sky. I mean, I like some of the ideas of the story, but the only thing they have to go on are the picture and the words. I'd like to play around with pictures for speculation, because even if something is coincidence, you still have some hard proof that something is there, or....whatever, I'm just saying I want online play.

Now, as for the sky, when people talk about the clouds being the whole body of Bowser, I don't quite see it. I only see his face.

I would also like to know who that audience is. Is it some fake thing? Is this place a real stage, like the next FD, except shiny happy? GAWD HOW LONG DOES 11 HOURS TAKE!?

Fawriel

Smash Master

Also from that site:

You are all missing one sentence:

"They know nothing but fighting. Fighting is the sole reason for their existence."

They exist to fight. They live to fight. It's not the other way around. They were made to fight.

We people were made to live and reproduce. That's basically all we do.
Intriguing...

But it still seems rather unlikely... I mean, there is not such a large difference between these "trophies" and dolls. The trophies are basically dolls as well, and they literally were in the first Smash Bros.
Also, there's the detail that those dolls.. don't really look like something a kid would enjoy playing with...
Still a viable theory..

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Maybe the dolls don't look like that, maybe they look exactly like the trophies, but...

The trophies see them as monsters. To emphasize this, they are represented as actual monsters. The stadium may not actually be a stadium, but just a cardboard box.

Zomg, Snake's the kid!

goodkid

Smash Lord
It's silly, nearly everyone is just looking too deeply into this, there's nobody in the clouds.

If you've ever looked up at the sky and saw some clouds that were shaped just like something, that wasn't anything, neither is this, they're just red clouds to make the game that much darker.
That's because you just don't have imagination. There are faces in those clouds. You can see Falco's head and beak, Bowser, Ridley.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
I think it's a new single player (story) mode,which seems like it will be pretty cool.Hopefully a few CG scenees to boot!

Fawriel

Smash Master
Maybe the dolls don't look like that, maybe they look exactly like the trophies, but...

The trophies see them as monsters. To emphasize this, they are represented as actual monsters. The stadium may not actually be a stadium, but just a cardboard box.

Zomg, Snake's the kid!
As awesome as that, there's still one major problem...
You're thinking too deep, I think.
I'm pretty sure that, even though Sakurai intends to give the game a plot, it will be a "subtle" one that gives the game a driving force, but does not lead through it like a thread, as it is in RPGs these days where there's a cutscene every three minutes.
Those circumstances you describe... would have to be explained. Good stories can be told by just hinting at things, but explaining your story in simple terms could be tough...

But if I ever create a fighting game with an awesome story, I'll drop you a line. :p

@The Mac:
Possibly!

...well, that's all I can say.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
That's because you just don't have imagination. There are faces in those clouds. You can see Falco's head and beak, Bowser, Ridley.
Meh
1) I don't see Falco in there anywhere. The only thing I see that might resemble him is the area that looks slightly like ganon/ a face. Also, this would be most unlikely, because why would Falco congregate with Bowser, Ridley, MetaKnight...Falco is a good guy, I don't see him hanging out with them. Again, everything (from both of us) is speculation, so we could both easily be wrong.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Interesting theory. And when you earn a trophy or character what you're doing is 'purifying' it?
Maybe. They could also be dark trophies which resemble the originals.

Someone in this thread said that Crazy Hand could be the one causing trouble. It makes sense with him being the one that destroys things.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Maybe. They could also be dark trophies which resemble the originals.

Someone in this thread said that Crazy Hand could be the one causing trouble. It makes sense with him being the one that destroys things.
Uhh...and Master Hand was peaceful and helped you out everywhere? Still, remember, the hands are from a boy playing with his toys, not just random floating hands. Though I must admit, random hands sounds sweet.

The Mac04

Smash Journeyman
Meh
1) I don't see Falco in there anywhere. The only thing I see that might resemble him is the area that looks slightly like ganon/ a face. Also, this would be most unlikely, because why would Falco congregate with Bowser, Ridley, MetaKnight...Falco is a good guy, I don't see him hanging out with them. Again, everything (from both of us) is speculation, so we could both easily be wrong.
Yeah, but we thought Krystal was good, too. . .

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
I'm bumping my own post cause it semt to go unnoticed and I need more feedback.
My feedback is that that they're all clouds and Nintendo or Sakurai wouldn't put so much emphasis on symbolism in a game that focuses on a bunch of cartoon characters beating each other up. The only clouds I see that MIGHT be characters are Bowser and Ridley.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
As awesome as that, there's still one major problem...
You're thinking too deep, I think.
I'm pretty sure that, even though Sakurai intends to give the game a plot, it will be a "subtle" one that gives the game a driving force, but does not lead through it like a thread, as it is in RPGs these days where there's a cutscene every three minutes.
Well, what I just described is the backstory.

If you look at the first Smash intro, you can see that some books and a pencil holder can be something else for the Smashers, like pipes and castles.

Sweetness

Smash Rookie
A place where the wii has been out for years and w
... A few new theories. A lot of re-hashed crap. But all of it is too deep for a Smash Bros game.

Think of this.

The unknown enemy is a challenger that wants to test the smashers skills. So he and his friends challenge the smashers to fight eachother and the best will go against them and then their leader. And if the smashers break the rules then the new guy and his crew are going to screw the place up.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
That... actually sounds even more Nintendo.

EDIT:

Also, are we really sure this purple dude is a someone... or a something?

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but we thought Krystal was good, too. . .
What was she in, one game? (no really, I didn't play them, I don't know >>)

Falco has been with us since the begining. I don't think he will ever become a permenant bad guy, and even so, it hasn't happened yet. What make you think smash would spoiler the next starfox game?

Darkterror

Smash Rookie
The Clouds!

Hello,,

This is my first day here on the smash site and i like it already..
But I don't know if anyone seen it ( If watched the pictures over and over again) But when i was watching at the second last picture i saw something strange in the clouds.. It was bowser.. And bit next to him Ganon and someone else from zelfda twiligh princess. And someone I donno but It looks like this is something with evil forces.. What you guys think aye..

Greetz

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Hello,,

But I don't know if anyone seen it ( If watched the pictures over and over again) But when i was watching at the second last picture i saw something strange in the clouds.. It was bowser.. And bit next to him Ganon and someone else from zelfda twiligh princess. And someone I donno but It looks like this is something with evil forces.. What you guys think aye..

Greetz
Hello, Darkterror. Welcome to Smash World Forums! Hope you have a good time here. Anyway, forget the cloud theory. It's all due to coincidence. That was just a snapshot of a trailer. Let's just move on.

Darkterror

Smash Rookie
Never mind.. When i started this page and watched the first few pages it seems noone saw it .. Now i noticed the newest replys are put in tha back .. sorry still need to learn as u see im smash noob :p
goodbye

Sweetness

Smash Rookie
A place where the wii has been out for years and w
Hello,,

Greetz
If they were going to put anything significant into the clouds it would be much more obvious.

Darkterror

Smash Rookie
I can agree it looks like a monster from the game kingdom hearts..
BUT the evil force at kingdom heart are heartless. And they all have a Black heart Somewere shown what isnt findable on this picture..

Dezrax2

Smash Rookie
Apparently, Mario and Kirby broke the "Rules of the world" by shaking hands, and not fighting. The update states "When someone...or something...breaks those rules, the world will pay a terrible price...". So, since Mario and Kirby broke the rules, they are going to pay the price.

Darkterror

Smash Rookie
Sounds like a good point to me,,
Mario Touch the Trophy and kirby came out after that they shake hands..
Looks like mario wanna build a army to fight the evil?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think this is just some stupid story thrown together for one player mode. It's not going to be an in depth storyline, and ultimately it's not going to effect the game in any way.

The story is basically, "All the characters have to fight eachother until one is left, that one fights the boss of the game, the end."

Wow, that's worth 56 pages of discussion...

Zian

Smash Cadet
This update just made me further upset with the updates of this week. Of course i should be grateful according to some people that i get a weekday update at all. All of the updates have left me with two or three pieces of info i found enjoyable learning about. And since Sakurai had a complete absence of any new material at E3....I'm saying screw the updates, people should just check into the dojo once a month and be rewarded that they get to ignore all the crap like "This world" updates etc. and learn exciting news like donkey is returning. And yet I still check daily, hopefully monday's will be another character not in any previous trailers..*cough* Zero suit samus *cough*...

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
This update just made me further upset with the updates of this week. Of course i should be grateful according to some people that i get a weekday update at all. All of the updates have left me with two or three pieces of info i found enjoyable learning about. And since Sakurai had a complete absence of any new material at E3....I'm saying screw the updates, people should just check into the dojo once a month and be rewarded that they get to ignore all the crap like "This world" updates etc. and learn exciting news like donkey is returning. And yet I still check daily, hopefully monday's will be another character not in any previous trailers..*cough* Zero suit samus *cough*...

umm, what? Zero Suit Samus has been an update already

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
1) The cloud theory, though it is likely to be just coincidence, has not been debunked, so please do not shoot it down immediately. You may be tired of it, but it has to do with this thread, and it doesn't matter how unlikely it is that the clouds are different characters, it is still a common theory that we can discuss. (@ takeshi)

2) The head honcho (can't ever remember his name ;_;) of the team creating SSBB has said that he has wanted to make a very developed single player mode, and that he wanted to focus a lot more of their efforts into it this time around. I think we might have a robust single player, and this might actually have a good story. The update leaves a lot to be speculated on, but I can agree with almost everyone that this, if it is the single player mode, will not be the same as adventure mode was. Otherwise, if this isn't story mode, it could be similar to the training mode we had, or something like that. Seriously, this update left a ton open to the imagination, don't just poo poo it off as another series of eliminations. (@ freeman)

I just want them to announce online play and sonic. Then I will be pleased untill release. I just hope we can unlock enough of the characters fast enough, but then again, I don't want to beat the game in 5 days. Not that I did with melee...[/ramble]

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling that this new story mode will replace one of the single player modes from Melee, if not all of them. Because a robust single player mode with lots of cut scenes and a different story for each character would take alot of time to do combined with the other 3 modes. So my gut tells me this is the new Adventure mode.

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
It's true, unfortunately. I think we're getting too worked up about this update. But hey, someone has to do it!

Top Bottom