• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This Update was Staged by Melee

DeChTu

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I was a little sad I got my hopes up thinking we'd start the new year off with a new character, but honestly... this wasn't that bad at all of an update, we got 5 confirmed stages, sure they were old, but it is the stage equivalent of getting an update announcing Luigi, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, and Falco are returning all in one update, which I guarantee absolutely no one would complain about (unless people use the argument, if (blah) is in then there is no way that (bleh) is in).

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule Castle and Saffron City please sakurai!!!
i want the original Mushroom kingdom...the one with working pipes (^^)v
YES plz.
Wait...Wasn't Ridley seen in the background of Brinstar in Melee...? D:
Or was that the original Smash Bros?
That was Kraid.

I think FD is a given, considering Battlefield is in, and where else would you fight final bosses?

If there's any more "Returning" updates left, I sure hope they show EVERY item/stage/song/char/etc in the entire game that will be reused instead of making teeny little multi-updates.

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
ya know....brinstar and rainbow cruise are kinda lame .....and frankly mute city and peach's castle would be better but i AM glad about onnet!

reason being: once when i was playing melee and my friend's zelda was standing on the center of telephone wires above the blue roof on the right....*oblivious*

i was on the lower red roof on the left.....with a *super scope*

I charged that thing completely up....the ball of light flies down the stage...hits the blue roof....ANGLES UPWARD and goes RIGHT into zelda's @$$ for the kill!

one of my proudest moments

we need mroe diagnol surfaces and projectiles that act in that way in brawl

:)

btw corneria and yoshi are totally worth having :)

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
The more the better, but I might turn off the old stages for a while so I can get all new, because playing with a GC controller on any old stage will feel werid, esp if it's all veteran characters. "Melee? Brawl? I'm so confused!"

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
Woot. He brought two of my favorite counterpick stages, Brinstar and Rainbow Ride. Yes, I actually liked those two stages. Corneria is alright, but I never liked Yoshi's Island too much.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
yay @ rainbow cruise/ride/whatever returning

corneria was expected, it seemed to be a popular stage the same way hyrule was

brinstar and yoshi's island, not so much

onett just makes more annoying ness speculation >_>

espio87

Smash Ace
I wasn't expecting Corneria to be honest. I thought Sakurai would remake it in another planet.
also, I think these stages got a bit more detailed:

I don't remember the Great Fox being this detailed, and the arwings look like they got a retexture too.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
Ehh...it's a mildly good update to start off the week.

I happen to like Corneria and Onett. I actually played on Onett a lot, I really liked the stage.

I'm just iffy on Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise. I mean...another Metroid stage with lava? Don't we already have one? I see no point in having two in the same exact game. And I pretty much never played Rainbow Cruise.

Sakurai, where is Mute City? Seriously. Where is it?

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Too lazy to rewrite to I'll paste from the other Melee Stage topic.

I'm suprised he didn't reveal Pokemon Stadium 1, considering we've got #2. It was practically a given yet he reveals these other 5 instead. Just found it odd. Also Corneria and Brinstar are back, again, heh. They're like Smash Staples I guess, except now Metroid gets 2 lava stages... whoopee. :p

Fountain of Dreams better be back, too. >.>
FoD needs to be redone, with the water graphics that LoZ: TP had. (Best water graphics on a nintendo console, ever)

Sorry if this has been posted. PKMN trainer, In the brinstar pic. in the back, behind the stage.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
FoD needs to be redone, with the water graphics that LoZ: TP had. (Best water graphics on a nintendo console, ever)

Sorry if this has been posted. PKMN trainer, In the brinstar pic. in the back, behind the stage.
it wouldnt look right with the LoZ water graphics on FoD....maybe ripples yes but it should still be reflective like in Melee...and this time it should be rainbow colored to keep its originality

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
It's good seeing more Melee stages making a return. Good thing they brought Rainbow Cruise back since it's one of my favorite stages to play on. Yes, I realize on the update, its name is Rainbow Ride but I'll stick with Cruise since it was the name used in Melee.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
It's good seeing more Melee stages making a return. Good thing they brought Rainbow Cruise back since it's one of my favorite stages to play on. Yes, I realize on the update, its name is Rainbow Ride but I'll stick with Cruise since it was the name used in Melee.
just to make sure though...did it say Ride on DOJO again? i cant check now because of firewalls XP

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
There better not be another "Pokemon from Previous Installments" update -.- Pray for Scizor as playable. Trust me.

"So here are some more stages that can also be played in Super Smash Bros. Brawl!" - Sakurai
I interpret this to mean, there will still be more stages returning. I'd like to see:
-Final Destination
-Great Bay
-Peach's Castle
-Fourside
-Big Blue
-Saffron City (N64)

There are so many more stages than the ones picked, that would've been better. I love Corneria and Brinstar. I don't really like or dislike Yoshi's Island or Onnet, but Rainbow Ride. I liked Icicle Mountain better. Yes I said it... Try fighting Team Mario on Rainbow Ride on Very Hard.

I won't complain though. We already have a total of almost 30 stages (Plus, say, 4-5 more past stages) and then a bit more new ones. We'll have 40-50 stages which is incredible.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
I say it increases the chance of Ness returning again. Also, is Pokemon Trainer standing on Mother Brain or a pillar?

stepmaniers13

Smash Cadet
I went through 4 pages and only a very few were actually happy about this update.

Just because this update doesn't show something doesn't mean it isn't in the game. It doesn't mean its in the game either, so don't go saying that certain stages will return when, considering the randomness of things included, the stages could not return for no apparent reason.

And besides, you don't treat these updates as if they have to be extraordinary everyday. Take a look at how other games reveal their information. If they do reveal anything, you get a burst of info, then absolutely no information until a while later with a small burst of new info and rehashed news, then back to being unknown until release. This was done with Halo 3, is being done with the new Advance Wars DS game, and, technically, Brawl is doing the same thing except spacing out how it delivers its info on an everyday basis. If anything you should be glad you get daily info like this that goes into so much detail as to say "Hey, Wario has an alternate costume that has his fat hanging out" and "Here are some past stages, unchanged so veteran players remember them and new players can enjoy what they missed." These minor details may not seem important, but the detail shows that the people making the game really care about it and want to ensure Brawl is good for everyone.

As for this update, I'm very glad about it. I still play these stages and will continue to do so in Brawl. Only minor issue I have is with Brinstar, as in Melee the AI always liked the top platform if the lava even began to rise slightly.
Grand update. 5 more stages for fighting pleasure. 5 more stages for new music.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I went through 4 pages and only a very few were actually happy about this update.

Just because this update doesn't show something doesn't mean it isn't in the game. It doesn't mean its in the game either, so don't go saying that certain stages will return when, considering the randomness of things included, the stages could not return for no apparent reason.

And besides, you don't treat these updates as if they have to be extraordinary everyday. Take a look at how other games reveal their information. If they do reveal anything, you get a burst of info, then absolutely no information until a while later with a small burst of new info and rehashed news, then back to being unknown until release. This was done with Halo 3, is being done with the new Advance Wars DS game, and, technically, Brawl is doing the same thing except spacing out how it delivers its info on an everyday basis. If anything you should be glad you get daily info like this that goes into so much detail as to say "Hey, Wario has an alternate costume that has his fat hanging out" and "Here are some past stages, unchanged so veteran players remember them and new players can enjoy what they missed." These minor details may not seem important, but the detail shows that the people making the game really care about it and want to ensure Brawl is good for everyone.

As for this update, I'm very glad about it. I still play these stages and will continue to do so in Brawl. Only minor issue I have is with Brinstar, as in Melee the AI always liked the top platform if the lava even began to rise slightly.
Grand update. 5 more stages for fighting pleasure. 5 more stages for new music.
techniaclly its acid not lava XD (^^)v

Zycor

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to play on hardly any of these stages... This is the first time I can actually merit a complaint for the update I think, (maybe besides widescreen and normal.) I hate most of these stages, doesn't Norfair make up for Brinstar? I just hope they don't put in the Ice Climbers stage from Melee.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I'm not going to play on hardly any of these stages... This is the first time I can actually merit a complaint for the update I think, (maybe besides widescreen and normal.) I hate most of these stages, doesn't Norfair make up for Brinstar? I just hope they don't put in the Ice Climbers stage from Melee.
u want some cheese with that Whine?

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
Uuughhh....
Firs, please excuse the minor typo made in my previous post.

MetaKnightsSword, this isn't AIM, Myspace, gameFAQS or any other ***gy scene kid site. This is a proper forum, and as such, proper style is important. Lay off the smilies, shortenings, and lack of capitalization/spelling.

To anyone who saw anger in my previous post, please make a note that if I were angry, the text would be RED, AND EVERY WORD WOULD BE IN ALL CAPS, NOT JUST MY KEY POINTS.

I myself am very happy with this update; I was hoping we'd get a lot more stages from melee, and it seems there are still a few more to come.
Thank you, good night.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Uuughhh....
Firs, please excuse the minor typo made in my previous post.

MetaKnightsSword, this isn't AIM, Myspace, gameFAQS or any other ***gy scene kid site. This is a proper forum, and as such, proper style is important. Lay off the smilies, shortenings, and lack of capitalization/spelling.

To anyone who saw anger in my previous post, please make a note that if I were angry, the text would be RED, AND EVERY WORD WOULD BE IN ALL CAPS, NOT JUST MY KEY POINTS.

Thank you, good night.
dude........wtf are u talking about?
and u know what else this site isnt? a convention for Jerks like u who think that anyone who shortens , uses smiles, and has improper spelling are inferior to them, so back the f**k off buddy!

Rash

Smash Ace
I'm just iffy on Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise. I mean...another Metroid stage with lava? Don't we already have one? I see no point in having two in the same exact game. And I pretty much never played Rainbow Cruise.

Sakurai, where is Mute City? Seriously. Where is it?
If you don't want Brinstar and Norfair because they're too similar, then why would you want Mute City and Delfino Plaza?

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
If you don't want Brinstar and Norfair because they're too similar, then why would you want Mute City and Delfino Plaza?
the only difference is that Delfino Plaza isnt ruled over by speeding obstacles XDD......i wonder what it would be like if there were LOL XD

Flipinogamer

Smash Cadet

In Melee...

In Brawl...

Strange... In Melee, the black van says "RUNAWAY", but in Brawl it says "TONZUR"...

werid...

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord

In Melee...

In Brawl...

Strange... In Melee, the black van says "RUNAWAY", but in Brawl it says "TONZUR"...

werid...
it was cut off (^^)v it actually says "Tonzura" which belongs to the Blues Brothers based band from MOTHER 2 known as "the Tonzura Bros." ...in EarthBound they were called " the Runaway Five" and wore colored clothes instead of all just black (^^)v

Flipinogamer

Smash Cadet
it was cut off (^^)v it actually says "Tonzura" which belongs to the Blues Brothers based band from MOTHER 2 known as "the Tonzura Bros." ...in EarthBound they were called " the Runaway Five" and wore colored clothes instead of all just black (^^)v
oh ok, thanks for tellin me. i don't play earthbound btw. =P

but still, why use the japanese name?

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Wow, reading through all your comments, bunch of people want Final Destination and Fountain of Dreams. Why these two particular stages? FD was a great stage but why do you want it to return that badly, when you can recreate it in no time at all in the stage builder?

As for the update, I wonder if any other N64 stages will be returning, if so Saffron City and Hyrule Temple would be great.

Puffs

Smash Ace
This Actually Is Melee 2.0

Ness Confirmed
Wavedashing Confirmed
Shinespike Confirmed
Ike Deconfirmed
Meta Knight Deconfirmed
Mario Circuit Deconfirmed
Subspace Emissary Deconfirmed
Online Play Deconfirmed

apparently all caps is a no-no >_>

Flipinogamer

Smash Cadet
Wow, reading through all your comments, bunch of people want Final Destination and Fountain of Dreams. Why these two particular stages? FD was a great stage but why do you want it to return that badly, when you can recreate it in no time at all in the stage builder?

As for the update, I wonder if any other N64 stages will be returning, if so Saffron City and Hyrule Temple would be great.
true, final destination and fountain of dreams don't need to be returned because they can be easily re-created by stage builder, they are simple stages

but, final destination and fountain of dreams were kewl satges and i can see why they should return

and also N64 stages NEED to return!!!

Top Bottom