• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This is my power... but what is my purpose? ~ Mewtwo Social Thread

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Well it looks like you missed almost all of your l cancels.

A little slow but whatever.

The dtilt has interruptable frames, so that means you can do it faster or cancel the ending frames into another move.

You have to teleport offensively not just to recover.

fair isnt an edgeguard. try bair and uair or baby shadowballs and dairs if they are low.

time your nairs better.

If you are going to back throw from the platform its in your best interest to put up more of a fight to keep them from getting back. try dropping thru with a reverse baby shadowball and fire it to stall falco. then edgeguard more if they fall to low and need to up b

At lower percents its much better to dthrow tech chase and learn to instant djc fairs and nairs with l cancels.

dont use the running grab so much. jump cancel it

Steelia

Smash Champion
While I'm farrrrrrr from a pro, just a few things I see when compared to other M2 footage I've witnessed.

I noticed you used your b-throw a lot. Not much complaints about that; I love spamming that particular grab myself. :p (That, or the d-throw, so I can Shadow Claw or tail the opponent once or twice.) However... you never seemed to attempt to, hurt? the opponent when you had them in your clutches. Maybe you do this in other matches, I dunno. But I'd recommend getting in AT LEAST 1 zap when you've got 'em. Every bit of percent counts, especially for Mewtwo.

As for throwing, if you want to wreck up the opponent a little more %-wise and you love to toss, try using your Up-throw. Not only does it send the opponent soaring to give you some leg room to semi-juggle/escape, but it is also the most powerful %age wise, if I'm correct. Again, that little every-%-of-damage-against-your-opponent thing again. :3 (Naturally, stay very, VERY far away from the f-throw. Looks cool, but... not very good.)

That's really the only BIG thing I see. Perhaps a little excessive shield-guarding, but hey, I know I do that when I'm trying to find an opening in my opponent as well as they try to find an opening.
Then Falco's forward-Bs. You seem to have gotten hit by a lot of those, even after they started to become kind of predictable... Give yourself a little space from the edge of the stage and the opponent; try to predict where they COULD land. Forward-B? It's fast, you're a little far away, hey, you won't get hit. But if he decides to use an Up-B, it's slow to activate, and by the time he executes it, you'll be all over him, so no ground will be lost.

~Also, something I MUST ask, why do all the M2 players never attempt to charge their Shadow Balls? I know the smaller ones are better so to pause your opponent for a second... but what's wrong with having fully-charged, hard-hitting ones that run all over the place? Sure, it may not be good against a reflector, but still...

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Steelia forgot to mention-

Prediction of where they are going to land comes from proper technique. If you stand where you stood you will never catch a falcos side b even if they are predictable.

The reason, you never edgeguarded, that falco should have sweet spotted the edge every time because you:

-didnt grab it to make them have to land on the stage
-didnt attempt to block their path with a back air, uair, or baby sb
-added 0 pressure to their recovery and left them at ease to safely recover.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It's risky to go offstage to edgeguard Falco. You can easily get daired or phantasmed; plus, if Falco has time to sweetspot the edge, and you're not back on stage in time, you can often be the one who ends up being edgeguarded.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
It's risky to go offstage to edgeguard Falco. You can easily get daired or phantasmed; plus, if Falco has time to sweetspot the edge, and you're not back on stage in time, you can often be the one who ends up being edgeguarded.
Im sorry dude, but ur hella wrong.

Its NECESSARY to go offstage guarding as m2. PERIOD.

You only get higher percentage fair kills, 100+ upthrow kills, and you must learn to edgeguard.

m2s recovery is suppper ****, and there is no reason to stay on the stage. If this was marth id say well it is riskier but id still go off cuz hes extremely capable.

You can teleport and shouldnt have much trouble gettin back using ur rising jump(even if u get meteor spiked) and very lowno landing lag.

bairs **** falco, cause him to fall and force him to have to up B. At this point u can bair again or edge hog.

scenario 2. Hes at higher percent and you get the nice double bair and he has no chance of recovering.

Scenario 3 you givem that good ol back air and he DIs and jumps to go for a side B-you can either just rise with another backair or mindgame him into thinking ur not gonna get em and hit with the sweet spot of the uair.

GO OFF STAGE!!!!!!!!!! thats one of m2s only luxury. he can go under FD, DREamland and more without to much trouble. he can do the reverse highrule jump. He has recovery, just learn to use it.

If you want tips to recover like a god then pm me or ask somewhere else, id be glad to help

Boxob.

Smash Lord
M2's sooooooo fun lol. He's my third strongest secondary, which is nice. Fullcharge shadow ball to Dsmash/fsmash/grab mindgames is the funnest thing in the world.

:093:

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
M2's sooooooo fun lol. He's my third strongest secondary, which is nice. Fullcharge shadow ball to Dsmash/fsmash/grab mindgames is the funnest thing in the world.

I understand what you mean, just 3rd strongest secondary sounds kinda funny.

Also, Im glad hes not that good, I wouldnt like it if hella ppl played him.

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ That's actually a good point, KAOSTAR. Being too good, he'd suffer a bashed fate as MK. But it's a shame he has to be labeled so negatively; that doesn't exactly help him out much, either. Such sad irony.

@Shadowball2: Hear, hear. ;)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I even like the negative label. If you see a good m2 you see a good m2. Otherwise its just a sad thing of carnage.

Im just saying that ppl say m2s a bad character not because they dislike him but, well, he is. I just appreciate the hardwork and dedication it takes to be good with him. (above the avg m2) You know a m2 main when you see it.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Actually, what I meant was that in my line up of characters, he's my third strongest.

Third strongest secondary implies he would be my fourth strongest. Which isn't the case.

Falco, marth, M2, Doc, falcon, link, young link, puff, kirby, everone else, IC's.

lul.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Im sorry dude, but ur hella wrong.

Its NECESSARY to go offstage guarding as m2. PERIOD.

You only get higher percentage fair kills, 100+ upthrow kills, and you must learn to edgeguard.

m2s recovery is suppper ****, and there is no reason to stay on the stage. If this was marth id say well it is riskier but id still go off cuz hes extremely capable.

You can teleport and shouldnt have much trouble gettin back using ur rising jump(even if u get meteor spiked) and very lowno landing lag.

bairs **** falco, cause him to fall and force him to have to up B. At this point u can bair again or edge hog.

scenario 2. Hes at higher percent and you get the nice double bair and he has no chance of recovering.

Scenario 3 you givem that good ol back air and he DIs and jumps to go for a side B-you can either just rise with another backair or mindgame him into thinking ur not gonna get em and hit with the sweet spot of the uair.

GO OFF STAGE!!!!!!!!!! thats one of m2s only luxury. he can go under FD, DREamland and more without to much trouble. he can do the reverse highrule jump. He has recovery, just learn to use it.

If you want tips to recover like a god then pm me or ask somewhere else, id be glad to help
Yea I agree with you. What I meant by not going off-stage was to not blatantly run off every time Falco is in a recovering position. 90% of the time he'll just side-b and sweetspot the ledge anyway. It's stupid to go out and try to hit him with a bair when the timing has no chance of working. If Falco is ever up-bing, he's probably already dead, in which case it behooves you to just grab edge. If Falco stupidly charges his up-b above the stage, then by all means bair him for the love of anything.

In general, though, I think it's more effective to just wait and either edgehog, dsmash, throw a shadowball into his phantasm, and occasionally ftilt/dtilt.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Umm, looking at that vid, that guy did nothing.

If Im going to back throw from the edge, I kinda know already that falco is goin to be a certain distance from the stage.

In those cases those backthrows should have been dthrow tech chases to rack up damage.

All Im saying is that if you are sending falco off the stage, there should be very few occasions where you wouldnt be running off the stage to finish the job.

Id have to wonder if I didnt send him off the stage, howd he get there in the first place?

M2 is a percision killer. You win by doing things right. You dont have the luxury of low percent kills and and playing sloppy.

If he wasnt planning on killing falco then he shouldnt have backthrew. Falco wasnt going to die by himself.[I think he actually did but w/e lol]

Steelia

Smash Champion
Well, being the Mewtwo social thread, I figured I'd come here to ask you guys opinion on this.

If it hasn't already spread, Melee's been undergoing a hacking facelift via texture hacks. HOWEVER, quite recently it was learned we could do some character voice replacements *at last!*. What I'm here to ask you guys is, what do you all think of having a Mewtwo edit so that he uses his Red/Blue/Yellow cry in the game, with slight modifications for hurt, sleep, etc.? I thought it was a fancy idea... but I just wanted to hear the opinion of you all first. (:

AprilShaw

aka Logan
If you could make it fit, go for it. No point in not giving it a try.

Where'd you find the Melee textures though?

Edit: nvm, I found them. Still requires .iso hacking though haha

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
To be honest I like m2s sounds alot in melee. They sound like him from the movie.

Id take some movie lines and change them.

BUt if you set the game to japanese m2 has two victory poses in which he talks. I would switch one of those for the taunt laugh.

I just thought it would be more badass if he spoke when he taunted.

Steelia

Smash Champion
How about hacking Confusion to make it REFLECT projectiles instead of the way it is now lol...
Having a moveset modifier (similarly as they do for Brawl now) would be epic. I'd love to have it so Mewtwo's forward-B reflected objects appropriately, or even worked as some kind of "shine".
Though, of course, I'm also dig his play style as of now. The whole reflect-but-doesn't-hurt aspect only makes him that much more challenging, and that much more worth boasting about if you can manage him. ;)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Reflecting projectiles does have its uses in teams. Because the object is considered its owners it will still hit anyone else on the screen(including you if it doubles back).

You can hit your teammate or the teammate of the one who fired the projectile.

Also note, its an unexpected tech chase since its unblockable and is a very high priority{if Im not mistaken} attack, should counter anything if use correctly.

LSDX

Wah!
Well, being the Mewtwo social thread, I figured I'd come here to ask you guys opinion on this.

If it hasn't already spread, Melee's been undergoing a hacking facelift via texture hacks. HOWEVER, quite recently it was learned we could do some character voice replacements *at last!*. What I'm here to ask you guys is, what do you all think of having a Mewtwo edit so that he uses his Red/Blue/Yellow cry in the game, with slight modifications for hurt, sleep, etc.? I thought it was a fancy idea... but I just wanted to hear the opinion of you all first. (:
I never even heard of these sound modifications before for Melee. I am all for the R/B/Y battle cry. Link to your source pl0x?

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Losing to Pichu is embarassing.

Good thing Mewtwo ***** Pichu. HARD.

Haven't played a good Kirby yet either, but...

Thoughts from an expert on the Kirby/M2 match-up.

Mewtwo
All this **** holds true, but there's something really unpleasant that needs to be said about this match up. Mewtwo beats Kirby, 100% of the time. I know, it seems odd that such a terrible character is that much better than Kirby, but it's true. Playing Taj at Mango Juice opened my eyes to this one, rather unfortunate fact: Kirby can't hit M2. And I don't mean that in the "It's hard to hit him/get inside/whatever" that happens with alot of other characters, I mean if your opponent has perfect control over mewtwo(i.e Taj) you will never be able to hit him. M2's Short hop teleport allows him to pass right through you with almost no lag, giving him a tremendous advantage against Kirby. Add in shadow balls and if you're playing on a stage like FD then it's GG, you lose. In a normal, head to head close quarters match, you're almost even, but as long as m2 stays away and spams, you will ALWAYS lose.

This is now, and forever will be the only match that I suggest CPing Yoshi Story on. The small stage gives you a chance to actually fight against Mewtwo close up rather than get spammed to death. Yes the low ceiling is terrible and will make you die, but you should be good enough to avoid a grab, and lets be honest, if M2 is getting close enough to try and grab you, that's better for you than it is for him. Dreamland 64 and FD are instant bans, you wont be able to do **** on either of those stages. Any stage really that isn't small beyond belief(You can CP Rainbow Cruise :D) will have you getting *****. Final Verdict: Don't Play Taj :(

Stage Picks: FoD, Yoshi Story, Rainbow Cruise
Stage Bans: FD, Dreamland 64
Stages to Avoid: Everything else
Victory Percentages: 85/15(Mewtwo's Favor)[/B]

and Pichu.

Mewtwo ***** Pichu. ALL DAY, son. ChuDat's Pikachu couldn't beat my M2 either. :p

Elven, those are the obvious range advantages that Mewtwo has while on the ground. You're not including superior grab range (can grab Pichu out of the air), upward angle tilts, a projectile, and now Mewtwo's F-air actually out ranges something. Not to mention a scary back air edge guard and early forward air KOs.

Pichu really has just a linear SHFFL game, an ok one, but only because it HAS to be. If Mewtwo can read that, then Pichu loses. If Pichu can get inside of Mewtwo and mix up his cross up SHFFL game and sneak in more up smashes then Pichu can be a winner. Otherwise, Mewtwo just won't die easily from Pichu, there just aren't any guaranteed KOs that are reasonably viable to land against a good Mewtwo.

Though I won't rule out that my perceptions of this match are distorted from my own experiences playing as Mewtwo, but for any other Mewtwo player against Pichu players, I'm sure it would probably balance itself out since there aren't many M2 players with the appropriate level of spacing that's necessary to even do what I'm talking about. :(

Pichu's Dash dance won't work very well against Mewtwo's WD down tilts, IMO. If Mewtwo just calls the retreating dash away, it's worthless since it isn't long enough to really escape M2's WD which is the 3rd longest in the game. Then you can even do that following hopped shadow balls...

I have a feeling that in an average M2 vs Pichu match, Wavedash back Shield grab will probably be what ***** Pichu's SHFFL game.
Now Bowser should be below Mewtwo, or they should at least be tied...

LSDX

Wah!
Losing to Pichu is embarassing.

Good thing Mewtwo ***** Pichu. HARD.

Haven't played a good Kirby yet either, but...

Thoughts from an expert on the Kirby/M2 match-up.
I'm no Mewtwo expert, but all I know for sure is there is no chance in hell of Kirby beating out a pro, or even average for that matter, Mewtwo. M2 covers all rage of aerials that Kirby cannot, along with better SHFFLing added with a WD that can wreck all Kirby's approach.

Mewtwo >> + > Kirby; End of discussion...

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
There is no excuse to lose to a kirby

M2 outranges kirby and has more speed. His throw, kills at low percent and fair is decent.

pretty much space kirby out and watchout for aerial contention. Kirby does often outprioritize the nair[like every thing else lol] with all aerial attacks and most b moves.

You should be able to recover from any of kirbys gay kill **** as well.

move for move m2's:
dashattack(less cooldown,comboability, bigger hitbox)>
fair(stronger but less range)<
nair(same vs everymove, still use tho)<
uair(more range, and higher percent kills)>
bair(range and edgeguarding)>
neutral B(application wise, but kirby can copy)>=
down B(rock makes for easy grabs but disable has less priorty and knockback)<
Up B(no attack but *****)>=
Side B(more situational but more priority)>=

all tilts have more range and if timed right you shouldnt trade. Forward and downsmash will prob clank but the hitboxes are out in front of m2 which should counter kirbys smashattacks. Upsmash is just aight

Steelia

Smash Champion
I HATE Zelda's crouching attack. While the tail's a nice counter to it... blargh... I BLARGH.
(Also, due to Mewtwo's size, her aerial forward-/back-a are extremely painful as well.)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
eh, on zelda cuz she has long attacks with multiple hitboxes

you really just need to be quick enough to mash/DI out and use the sidestep even tho its bad against like every other character who attacks in succession. punish hard with grabs to fairs to uairs.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I learned the Zelda matchup sorta.

/beat a guys Falcon, beat his Falco, almost 3 stocked his Sheik, then lost to his Zelda.... -_- barely....

I got 6th/9 in teams, teamed with some random who needed a partner and payed for me. (SuSa: Always to broke for tourneys)

Duct Tape is my symbol, team name shouldn't be hard to find. I don't even remember my partners name, he only told it to me once. xD

http://allisbrawl.com/event.aspx?id=6646

I also did horribly in Brawl that day (well, I did good but got bracket ****ed because I entered late...)

Also, I don't think I'll ever juggle Brawl+Melee on the same day. Ever.... It was so hard to adjust from playing Mewtwo to playing Snake. T_T

EDIT:
My partner also did Brawl+Melee, but can't seperate them well enough.. he tried to recover using Sheik's chain... -_- SD'd at least 2 times in like.. all of our games.... :/ it was bad.. that + facing good people = we're ****ed..

SDC

Smash Lord
Lol There is a really dam good kirby main in MN (RRR, or triple r). An abnormally good kirby main lol. He sometimes beats even the best people. Last time I played several matches I didn't do so well, but that was a while ago, I haven't played him in a while (I've gotten better lol), but when I do I'm just gonna camp his *** and see how it goes.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
just run up and **** his ***. I m2 does decently well against the low tiers. He is always my low tier counter except for maybe against zelda only because of the effort level I want to put in to dodge attacks. Id rather camp her with falco sometimes.

Top Bottom