• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you feel are wrong in SSB4?

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Most of the custom moves are terrible and uninspired. 99% of them are just slower-but-stronger-and-vice-versa versions of the normal special moves. Look at Mario; they could have put in the iceballs from NSMBW and, hell, even the throwable hammers from Mario 3, but no. And why couldn't they give Link the Pegasus Boots? The Fire Rod? Bomb arrows? And what, no ice missiles for Samus? And don't get me started on Sonic.

I don't get why they treated Mega Man like a king in this regard.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Since this is SSB4 in general, I'll leave some Wii U stuff in too:

-FG is only Final Destination, which is a really unbalance stage in my opinion, I'd prefer 1v1ing on Palutena's Temple with 99 stocks
-Little Mac shouldn't have this much power, if this is a "party game," most casual players aren't going to know "gimping" and whatnot
-For Fun doesn't have FG
-3DS connecting to Wii U is laggy
-Lucario with Aura kills with Usmash with 50% damage, and this isn't even on light characters
-Crazy Orders final battle needs to understand the fine line between challenging and impossible
-No story mode (Why)
-The 1.0.4 patch making things worse
-Not directly related to SSB4, but: Gamecube Adapters and Amiibos being really hard to find
-3DS Smash having just toned down modes from the Wii U version, it seems like a waste of potential
-Smash Tour's missed potential

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
To add onto my last post, there's too little lag when rollling or dodging. Even the newest of players can spam them and suddenly you have this tiny window to read and punish them. Even moreso, some characters have so little lag on their dodges that your normal punishes just aren't fast enough anymore. (I'm looking at you, Mac and Shiek)

It's an irritating mechanic and I can't say I enjoy this aspect of the game. I honestly find myself asking if I would prefer having ocassional tripping nonsense in Brawl to this. It's a tough call.

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
To add onto my last post, there's too little lag when rollling or dodging. Even the newest of players can spam them and suddenly you have this tiny window ito read and punish them. Even moreso, some characters have so little lag on their dodges that your normal punishes just aren't fast enough anymore. (I'm looking at you, Mac and Shiek)

It's an irritating mechanic and I can't say I enjoy this aspect of the game. I honestly find myself asking if I would prefer having ocassional tripping nonsense in Brawl to this. It's a tough call.
Exactly. In my opinion, this game is far from balance from what I'm seeing. Sheik and Diddy are all stupid threats that take little to no effort to pound you in a second. And compared to their dodges? Impossible.

It's sad how when I played Sheik for my first time, I proceeded to win 10 times in FG in a row by doing nothing skillful.

These are some GLARING issues that need to be taken care of, and it's sad how Sakurai is stopping patches for this.

I spent a lot of time with smash, and I'm not gaining any satisfaction at all now. Brawl has more value than this, tripping and all, and I would say that Brawl's character BALANCE is far more enjoyable than what I'm seeing here

I would expect at least two more patches that require people to think to finally balance this game.

The problem isn't the balance patch, but rather than that it has stopped balancing.

Anyways, this has been my mini-rant.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
People want more reps from Metroid. I love the series to death, but honestly tell me, WHO exactly would you add from Metroid? Anthony? Dark Samus? MB? The hunters maybe, but they are pretty much Samuses with different aesthetic features (all of them can morph ball for example). I don't think we need yet another Samus, Anthony is a regular human with a cannon, MB can go die in a hole and the bosses are out of the question for obvious reasons.
Rundas.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ghirahim is not playable. I am still furious, outraged, and sick with anger.

Rolls and shields are too easy to use.
Oh, note to anyone who's going to inevitably tell me to learn how to play the game or to "git gud", without actually providing advice and being generally passive aggressive to me: Don't. I've been playing Smash for over ten years, I don't need to be told that ****. If you don't have anything helpful to say, don't say anything. It's really annoying because I see this crap behavior all of the time.

Now that that's out of the way:
Rolls and shields are too easy to use. Constantly rolling will result in you rarely ever getting hit, and shields absorb way, way too much damage. A shield that's at half-strength at best, should not be able to take a fully-charge Aura Sphere from a Lucario at over 100%. That's broken. Adding on to the fact is that grabbing is extremely ineffective, because there's no lag from taking a shield hit and rolls, once again, have so many i-frames that if you try to grab you end up with a Smash attack in your back.

In short, it seems backwards that shielding and rolling constantly leaves me wide open to attack, rather than the player who's spamming those actions. I mean, obviously, the way to challenge these kind of players is to constantly roll and guard yourself, which turns every match into two players dancing all over the stage ignoring every stray attack that emerges, and that's ****ing stupid and not fun.

Also, forget dancing around the topic: Where the hell is Ghirahim?

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
3ds version should have been called 'Pocket Smash' X3

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
What feels wrong with Smash 4? Nothing in the game really, just some little nitpicks, like the stages, they suck, but the way people reacts to it is the things are wrong. I am tired of this whole clone hate. Yeah they kinda suck but they didn't took anyone's place. Lucas and Wolf are not in the game because they didn't want to include them, not because Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are in. Is obvious they ditched them the second they started the game. Why complaining about three characters that were done in 2 weeks in a roster of 51+M2 characters? Aren't you happy they added LittleMac, Pacman, Megaman, Palutena, Rosalina, Bowser Jr, MEWTWO, Killager, Greninja, and Shulk? OH! JUST BECAUSE RIDLEY IS NOT PLAYABLE THE GAME SUCKS RIGHT?! NO! Not at all. And all of you people love to punch DHD and Miis of your worst enemy. Mewtwo, I'm sure they wanted to put the newcomers first, but the point is that Sakurai THOUGHT about it and told us in advance, and boom, Mewtwo is on the way. Finally Lucario haters can shut the hell up, they are not clones anyway, the only thing they have in common is NB and SSmash. I am also sick of Chrom ****. He was not added, period. And Lucina was added way later after they ditched Chrom. And Chrom is very boring in the fist place. Sick of Roy **** too. If you want to play him so hard play P:M, period. The Smash team doesn't care about him because he was advertising. I am also tired of this whole Diddy bias going around. DIDDY THIS, DIDDY THE OTHER! If he is good, just ignore it. Play whoever the hell you want to play and show the tier-whunners that your charcter DOESN'T suck. For Glory DO sucks, I agree with that. FD only is a ridiculous concept, but then again Japan plays like that and Sakurai thinks we like to play NO ITEMS! FOX ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION! thanks to that stupid stereotype the casuals did. If Ganon and Wario are misrepresented, yeah it sucks, but is better than not having them.

You know what I think people are getting ******** about?
ZOMG KID ICARUS HAZ 3 CHARACTERZ FE HAS 4 CHARACTERZ BAAAAH DATS TOOOO MAAAAAANY!!!!!1!1!
And they are somehow perfectly fine wtih 8 Mario characters and 4 Zelda characters, suddenly 3 characters in a series is "TOOO MAAAAAANY BAAAAAH SAKURAI IZ BIAS BLAH BLAH"
People who complain about that are ********.
Finally someone who can open his eyes and see the stupid bias going around.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Ghirahim is not playable. I am still furious, outraged, and sick with anger.

Rolls and shields are too easy to use.
Oh, note to anyone who's going to inevitably tell me to learn how to play the game or to "git gud", without actually providing advice and being generally passive aggressive to me: Don't. I've been playing Smash for over ten years, I don't need to be told that ****. If you don't have anything helpful to say, don't say anything. It's really annoying because I see this crap behavior all of the time.

Now that that's out of the way:
Rolls and shields are too easy to use. Constantly rolling will result in you rarely ever getting hit, and shields absorb way, way too much damage. A shield that's at half-strength at best, should not be able to take a fully-charge Aura Sphere from a Lucario at over 100%. That's broken. Adding on to the fact is that grabbing is extremely ineffective, because there's no lag from taking a shield hit and rolls, once again, have so many i-frames that if you try to grab you end up with a Smash attack in your back.

In short, it seems backwards that shielding and rolling constantly leaves me wide open to attack, rather than the player who's spamming those actions. I mean, obviously, the way to challenge these kind of players is to constantly roll and guard yourself, which turns every match into two players dancing all over the stage ignoring every stray attack that emerges, and that's ****ing stupid and not fun.

Also, forget dancing around the topic: Where the hell is Ghirahim?
It's not like they can somersault across the entire ****ing stage. They have to pause sometime, and that's when they're open to attack. Rolling constantly is actually a horrible tactic, and against a decent opponent is gonna get you killed. The more they roll, the more predictable they become. And Ghirahim is in the game. As an Assist Trophy.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's not like they can somersault across the entire ****ing stage. They have to pause sometime, and that's when they're open to attack. Rolling constantly is actually a horrible tactic, and against a decent opponent is gonna get you killed. The more they roll, the more predictable they become.
Thank you, sir, for saying the exact same thing I specifically said not to say at the beginning of my post.
And Ghirahim is in the game. As an Assist Trophy.
What? No! Why did nobody tell me about this?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Thank you, sir, for saying the exact same thing I specifically said not to say at the beginning of my post.

Well fine then. Keep getting high blood pressure. You'd think someone giving you advice would be appreciated, but no, you gotta go and be a **** about it. People these days.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

Well fine then. Keep getting high blood pressure. You'd think someone giving you advice would be appreciated, but no, you gotta go and be a **** about it. People these days.
Edit: What the hell? My post is Gemini Man.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
I hate how Pyrosphere and Wily Castle's have such neutral layouts but then the hazards burn the chances of the two stages ever becoming legal.

Most of the custom moves are terrible and uninspired. 99% of them are just slower-but-stronger-and-vice-versa versions of the normal special moves. Look at Mario; they could have put in the iceballs from NSMBW and, hell, even the throwable hammers from Mario 3, but no. And why couldn't they give Link the Pegasus Boots? The Fire Rod? Bomb arrows? And what, no ice missiles for Samus? And don't get me started on Sonic.

I don't get why they treated Mega Man like a king in this regard.
Because he is a king.

The source material gives Sakurai a lot to work with, to the point where something like "Fast Metal Blade" or "Slow Crash Bomb" would be unacceptable.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
My only real complaints at this point are the C-stick problems, and the shortages of Gamecube Adapters and Amiibos (Marth went out of stock before it was announced they'd be discontinued... why?!)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
There's a difference between giving advice and telling me exactly what I already know. That's what you're doing. And I'm perfectly calm, so why don't you stop being overtly presumptuous.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
There's a difference between giving advice and telling me exactly what I already know. That's what you're doing. And I'm perfectly calm, so why don't you stop being overtly presumptuous.
And there wasn't a better way to tell me that than to be a smart ass about it?

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
Biggest problem with SSB4 is a lack of really good mobility, especially going from the air to the ground.

CoolBoyCorporate

Smash Cadet
It's not like they can somersault across the entire ****ing stage. They have to pause sometime, and that's when they're open to attack. Rolling constantly is actually a horrible tactic, and against a decent opponent is gonna get you killed. The more they roll, the more predictable they become. And Ghirahim is in the game. As an Assist Trophy.
Yes this is true when it comes to predictability but the game was designed for the fun users rather than accustomed for players who take it competitively. I do believe the amount of shield you lose continues to drop while rolling to punish that behavior. The mechanic already exists with certain moves functioning differently during air combos or grounded.

On a side note, one of my own personal nit picks about the game is how slippery some characters are. This was never the case before Brawl.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Smash Tour: To random and you can just make the cpu fight for you... waste of time.
Balancing: Sheik can be a little annoying at times,
Stages: Many have lots of hazards and can be unfun.
Ridley: What the **** Sakurai, Ridley doesn't look to out of place when I played on Pyrosphere in giant mode.
Character roster: Needs more Wolf
DLC: Mewtwo, Tourney mode, and Miiverse stage aren't good enough, especially when you cut 3 good characters. Needs more Wolf
Music: Where the **** are my Wario land,World and Master of Disguise tracks?
Representation: Give Advance Wars and Eternal Darkness some more love Sakurai.
Stage Builder: Needs more parts!
How many of these can be fixed, Balancing,stages,character roster,DLC,Music, stage builder and representation.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Now that you mentioned Ridley,

I do wish there was a single mode where you can just face the bosses in a traditional SNES platform. Rather than have them only as stage events.
Apparently the Announcer dude in Sound Test has a sound clip that says "Boss Battle" hilariously enough. I dunno where it is used though.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Oh I forgot... STAGE HAZARDS: That ******* Yellow Devil, Nabbit kidnapping players to their doom, and of course the ******* FLYING MAN. Man do those guys really ruin the match as well as All Star Mode and Classic Mode.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Well Ridley and the little hazards ruin a perfectly good competitive stage. Thanks for that Sakurai.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
The source material gives Sakurai a lot to work with, to the point where something like "Fast Metal Blade" or "Slow Crash Bomb" would be unacceptable.
I mean that the source materials of the characters I listed gave Sakurai a lot to work with as well, yet all, for example, Mario got were faster/weaker and slower/stronger fireballs instead of somethings else from his own games (like the snowballs I mentioned) while Mega Man got all his own cool ****. I find that unacceptable.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
I mean that the source materials of the characters I listed gave Sakurai a lot to work with as well, yet all, for example, Mario got were faster/weaker and slower/stronger fireballs instead of somethings else from his own games (like the snowballs I mentioned) while Mega Man got all his own cool ****. I find that unacceptable.
Luigi has ice balls if that means anything to you.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
Fix Mario's bull**** Utilt combo. I don't feel like having to play run away from a Mario whose main goal is to juggle me to 60% then spike me.
Take out Packman. He's just a nuisance in this game that doesn't seem like he really fits in, or was wanted in here in the first place.
Take out Little Mac. Good idea on paper, horribly played off.
Put back L-Cancelling. *Insert comment here about Melee v2* No I just would like to see some combos come back.
Nerf Zamus. She can do rediculous damage quick, very fast, and has a large arsenal of kill moves.
Nerf Roll spamming. I don't like playing in FG and facing 99% of roller spammers as well as Sonic spammers. Why not make it so rolling takes away a little bit of your shield each time?
Lucina *One of my mains* feels like a bad Marth sometimes. Why not give her the same properties Roy had? That way you get rid of the Roy fanboys.
Less characters with counters. 12 characters with counters is kind of rediculous.
Make Miis usable online. If they're offensive, ban the person from using Miis online.
Fix the god damn match making services. Having laggy matches 7/10 times on the 3DS is really fusterating sometimes
In FG have a match making system were you face against someone with the same W/L ratio as you.
Nerf projectiles a lot. A match were you sit in a corner shielding till sudden death because of projectile spam isn't too fun. An Idea is to make the projectile do 1% less each time it's used in repition. Let's use Link as an example, if he uses Boomerang -> Arrow ->bomb, the next time he uses any of those moves, it would do 1% less dammage.
Buff Palutena's tilts. They're slow and do little dammage.
Take out Diddy. No matter what you do he will always be overpowered, or useless.
Nerf Lucario's Aura system. Players are rewarded for playing bad.

That's all I can think of for now.

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
Really? I haven't notice since everyone I use has good mobility on the ground and some in the air.
There's not much you can do as you land other than attack, since air dodging is so unsafe, so you always risk things like a dash attack or dash grab. As far as mobility on the ground it'd be nice to have some better options than just dashing or rolling, like maybe a faster walk for all characters. Also, wavedashing is great in SSBM since it lets you stay mobile even out of shield and you can do anything out of it.

Top Bottom