• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you feel are wrong in SSB4?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I think they meant that a clone of another character might have been a better choice.
Maybe so, but it's not like Dark Pit's lack of presence would have prevented another character.

And I don't think any other clone would have been a better choice. Before Dark Pit was revealed people were already up in arms against the idea due to Lucina's inclusion.

Zoa

Smash Ace
-Gravity. Needs to be around 30% higher.

-Hitstun is too low still.

-Add more shield stun, and push back from stronger moves. Let moves drain shield faster. Add some more shield drop frames.

Humanity

Smash Cadet
Maybe so, but it's not like Dark Pit's lack of presence would have prevented another character.

And I don't think any other clone would have been a better choice. Before Dark Pit was revealed people were already up in arms against the idea due to Lucina's inclusion.
Personally, I think the perfect fill for that slot would have been Wolf. But then, he's much less cloney than Dark Pit, so that wasn't really to be. I suppose you make a good point.

Morbi

Scavenger
The stage builder. Overall, I really enjoy the changes and the feature is better than ever, but with more freedom comes even more derpy AI.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Their ability to patch out any AT at will. If you discover a tech that makes a character good (but not op), then it might get patched out

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
You realize that's not how it works, right?

And yes, clones are just created because they are quick and easy. No potential newcomer was shafted because of them. You are asking to give you a new character? Well, we got 12 new ones this time around.
Also, Toon Link as a clone makes sense. Ganondorf has his own moveset, he was decloned in Brawl.

As for one of the things I feel is wrong, it's basically the ignorance of our community in regards to the character roster and then making stupid statements such as the one above. It's adorable how people think that adding characters is an exchange process where one fighter takes a slot in the roster, thus somehow the presence of this fighter prevents a new one from happening. This is not the way how it works because characters that are selected for the roster are planned in advance at the beginning of development, even more so for clones who are mostly promoted alts. They take little time and resources to implement that their inclusion has little impact on anything else you might want to add to the game.

Speaking of clones, I think the complaints about them are incredibly stupid and overblown. We got 12 unique newcomers this time around; there are only three clones out of a 51 character roster so having them around is not harmful in any way. Is not that the game forces them upon you either. The character selection screen is called like that because you choose whoever you like to play as, like a menu at a restaurant. If you go to an ice cream store and they have a 30 flavor menu, and you see one flavor you don't like, do you make ****storm for that rather than just sticking to the ones you like?

So see, I'm not crazy about clones either (even though I like Lucina) but I know that nothing is lost in having them. They are not harmful in any way, even though the hatedom will try their damnest to have us believe that, it's simply not true.
They padded the roster with clones to make the roster bigger, when they could have just given us another unique character, but then again it's all opinion, I'd rather have 1 new character over 3 clones but its nice to have the variety.

This is not me complaining about the final roster btw, we got amazing newcomers and I'm happy with the roster, just wish they would fix TLink and Ganondorf lol.

Last edited:

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, and Snake were cut (IC and snake are understood, but even so....). That's pretty much it. Other than that I have no problems with the game.

Busmanpwns

Smash Rookie
NNID
itsdevinw
3DS FC
2320-6139-7791
I hate computers in this game cx I honestly have an easier online then playing CPU's with their dumbass perfect shielding always counter bull**** like inhuman things that they do but I guess they are computers but it's not fun :(

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
They padded the roster with clones to make the roster bigger, when they could have just given us another unique character, but then again it's all opinion, I'd rather have 1 new character over 3 clones but its nice to have the variety.
That's not how it works.

Characters that are chosen to appear in Smash are decided at the beginning of development, way before they are implemented in the game. Clones in this game on the other hand, are simply characters that were meant to be alts of existing fighters but were ultimately included as their own. It takes very little time to do so; even more so in cases like Dark Pit where he is simply a recolor of Pit, and he probably took less work than one of the koopalings which use a different model than the original.

Since they were just extra stuff added later in development they didn't got in the way of any potential newcomers. So the little effort it took to implement those clones couldn't have been used to add another character; those were planned even before Lucina, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were conceived as their own characters. Opinion or not, that is just not how it works.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
That's not how it works.

Characters that are chosen to appear in Smash are decided at the beginning of development, way before they are implemented in the game. Clones in this game on the other hand, are simply characters that were meant to be alts of existing fighters but were ultimately included as their own. It takes very little time to do so; even more so in cases like Dark Pit where he is simply a recolor of Pit, and he probably took less work than one of the koopalings which use a different model than the original.

Since they were just extra stuff added later in development they didn't got in the way of any potential newcomers. So the little effort it took to implement those clones couldn't have been used to add another character; those were planned even before Lucina, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were conceived as their own characters. Opinion or not, that is just not how it works.
The only exception to this is Mewtwo who was considered in the beginning until ultimately being accepted way later which meant little to no time to actually develop it.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The only exception to this is Mewtwo who was considered in the beginning until ultimately being accepted way later which meant little to no time to actually develop it.
True, he wasn't seen as a priority at the time.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
So much trophies and yet the Yūyūki series still haven't been mentioned had it?
From the Nintendo wiki
Yūyūki has been referenced in several other Nintendo video games. In the Japanese version of Kirby's Dream Land 2, Chaofrom this game appears and offers Kirby an extra life. The sound test scene in the game also references Yūyūki. Yūyūki is once again referenced in the Kirby series, in the SNES video game Kirby's Dream Land 3, where both Chao and Gokuappear. In Daigasso! Band Brothers DX, a theme from the game is played when the player chooses the Synth Bell.
It has been in Kirby's games, the same series that the Creator/Director of Super Smash Bros worked on and yet it still failed to appear in Super Smash Bros. There is over 1,000 trophies and no sign of Yūyūki. Even Cubivore's gotten a trophy. This is depressing. :(

No Rayman.

At least he gotten a trophy rather than omitting him entirely like the Yūyūki series.

Last edited:

UpBforVictory

Smash Cadet
NNID
EthanTheOgre
nuh cahmbuhs lyk maylay!!!111!!11!!

No, but seriously, something is off about Smash 3DS and I can't seem to find out what it is..

UpBforVictory

Smash Cadet
NNID
EthanTheOgre
:4duckhunt:: I can understand characters who can camp, but a character that is base around camping is a different story. This character isn't fun to play as and annoying to fight. Its a bad gimmicky playstyle that shouldn't be encouraged.

:rosalina:: I just think her luma needs a 20 sec respawn time and be a bad character without luma. I mean she shouldn't be the main damage dealer she should have weak knock back moves and be almost helpless without luma.

:4lucario:: just take rage away from this character and he will be fair.

:4littlemac::I used to hate him but I just don't find him fun to fight. I say he's perfect were he is just that it's annoying that u lost a game because of a K.O Punch. But he really shouldn't be getting all the hate hes has been getting up to now.

To me this would have been the best smash if these characters wheren't part of the game. Now for a small list that should have made it in the game

Any D.K rep I mean theres like 4 other characters from that they can pick from.

Ridley being playable or just a metroid rep. People have been asking for Ridley for 14 years now. I'm impressed that nintendo is a bit to stubborn to put him in. Smash bros isn't canon.

And maybe more megaman reps but I'm just a fan asking for more. Since megaman battle network is my favorite game of all time.
The only problem I really have with Little Mac is that he has WAAAAAAAYYYYYY too much super armor. .

K-45

Smash Journeyman
The only problem I really have with Little Mac is that he has WAAAAAAAYYYYYY too much super armor. .
i don't main little mac and i don't find him fun to fight but after awhile hes just super easy to gimp. not to mention they nerf his recovery in the 1.04 patch. true i hate his super armor as much as the next guy and true thats hes easy to pick up and spam smash attacks but hes fine where he is i feel. hes to easy to gimp and just spam grabs when u are near him throw him in the air and land some Fairs or Bairs.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Samus is still the only playable Metroid character
It's okay, she's got a friend!

:troll:
Roy is in as a playable character.

If you were referring to a different Roy then you gotta be more specific as there at least three characters named Roy that appeared in the Super Smash Bros series. Roy (Fire Emblem: Binding Blade), Roy Koopa (Super Mario Bros. 3) and Roy Campbell (Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake) just to prevent confusion and just assume people will somehow know which Roy you're referring to. :p

UpBforVictory

Smash Cadet
NNID
EthanTheOgre
i don't main little mac and i don't find him fun to fight but after awhile hes just super easy to gimp. not to mention they nerf his recovery in the 1.04 patch. true i hate his super armor as much as the next guy and true thats hes easy to pick up and spam smash attacks but hes fine where he is i feel. hes to easy to gimp and just spam grabs when u are near him throw him in the air and land some Fairs or Bairs.
That's another thing, Mac is awful in the air, so if you keep him in the air he's pretty much screwed, just combo him off the ledge.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's okay, she's got a friend!

:troll:

Roy is in as a playable character.

If you were referring to a different Roy then you gotta be more specific as there at least three characters named Roy that appeared in the Super Smash Bros series. Roy (Fire Emblem: Binding Blade), Roy Koopa (Super Mario Bros. 3) and Roy Campbell (Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake) just to prevent confusion and just assume people will somehow know which Roy you're referring to. :p
I think, judging by my list of mains, that people can figure out which Roy I'm talking about without much effort. Besides, it would be very odd if Roy Campbell was in without Snake being playable.

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
Believe it or not, my complaint isn't about characters or gameplay mechanics:

The only thing I really dislike about this game is that, even if you only want to erase... Say, your fighter records for example, you have to delete your entire save data. At least the characters are relatively easy to unlock this time around... I don't know if this also applies to the Wii U version or not, since I only have the 3DS version. But it still bugged me... It's quite unlike the past titles I've played, if I remember correctly.

And even the process of deletion is bothersome, since it isn't very obvious; you have to press and hold A, B, X, and Y after the 3DS logo disappears but before the title screen shows up. You know, as apposed to something to select in the options menu. I guess it'll prevent younger kids from carelessly deleting their saves, and it does say how to erase your data in the manual. But still, it took me quite a few tries to get it right.

One good thing, though, is the messages that appear when you're trying to erase data. "Save data doesn't grow on trees, you know!" Or something along those lines. It made me laugh a bit.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
So much trophies and yet the Yūyūki series still haven't been mentioned had it?
From the Nintendo wiki

It has been in Kirby's games, the same series that the Creator/Director of Super Smash Bros worked on and yet it still failed to appear in Super Smash Bros. There is over 1,000 trophies and no sign of Yūyūki. Even Cubivore's gotten a trophy. This is depressing. :(

At least he gotten a trophy rather than omitting him entirely like the Yūyūki series.
THEN THERE WASN'T ENOUGH RAYMAN!

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
...Dark Pit's lack of other Kid Icarus weapons- thus rendering him a weak clone of Pit.
Come on...he could have used the Viridi Claws, the Violet Palm and the EZ Cannon! Not to mention his Dark Pit Staff should of been more than a Final Smash gimmick. *sigh*

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
If you unlock a custom move, you can get the ALREADY UNLOCKED CUSTOM MOVE as a prize.

I'm all like, "NEW GANON TECH F*** YA!" Then I die inside because I've already got it.

Also, getting 2 of the same, new custom moves in one set.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The only thing that feels wrong about SSB4 is people whining and complaining about the character choices on the roster, mainly the clones. Really, what a bunch of spoiled immature brats.

PrincessLucina

Smash Rookie
And the representation of the current Nintendo is even wrong: for example Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus got a lot of content, but they are minor-to-average series... bigger series like Metroid and Donkey Kong got very few content instead. Most people blame Sakurai's bias, and I'm starting to think that they're right.
I think it's very untrue to lump together Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus together as "minor-to-average" considering Fire Emblem has had 13 installments (soon to be 14) and Kid Icarus has had a grand total of 3. I do think it's unfair for KI to have so many and is definately biased since Sakurai made Uprising, FE having four reps is totally fine in my mind.

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
People complaining about Roy not returning from Melee is what's wrong with Smash.

I've got little to no gripes about the game. I don't like the removal of Wolf, that's about it.

Darkwing

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-1864-0196
The only thing I hate is that they included Smashville when there is already Town & City.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I have 2 complaints I can think of off the top of my head

1. Hades

OH COME ON SAKURAI! I'll always be irritated that they didn't add him in at all. He was the best part of Uprising, BAR NONE! I like Palutena but Hades man ;_;

2. 1.0.4's replay problems

I had some really good moments saved from a double battle in which the host accidentally had Smash Balls on and I finished my opponent with the SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT!, to free for all friendlies where I finished 2 people with the Falcon Punch, 1 of which was the finisher and the other being a particularly good moment because that was the first time I ever beat that guy. It's like 1 to 300 now. He's just... to gud. Then there was this series of battles against a shulk player. Every one of those saved battles was very good and I never got the chance to watch them over to learn from them. And so many more after that. All of those fantastic moments in my smash 4 life...... erased ;_;

Edit: This isn't really a complaint of Smash 4 but:

3. My 3ds

I haven't been able to play my 3DS sense the R button broke on me. ;_; I've used the R button as a shield sense my N64 days. I've tried so hard to try something new but I JUST CANT! I cant smash at all on my 3ds anymore. I'm getting a Wii U which makes things better anyway.... when I get it on Christmas..... and it's not coming with Smash 4 so I gotta get it on my own..... and I also have to get a pro controller and probably the Gamecube adapter which comes up to a staggering 150$...... which will most likely be worth it.

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
I think there have personally been more improvements than flaws with the game. A lot of people are happy with things. Recovery is now easier than every with the new ledge mechanic. And while I agree with some that it's rather obnoxious to no longer be able to ledge hog as a win condition, it opens up the opportunity to ledge guard as opposed to ledge hogging. Sometimes this is easy, sometimes not, but my only beef with this game is the bomb physics for Link/T. Link. They don't seem logical.

Top Bottom