• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things that you hate to deal with on For Glory?

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
Disconnecting or quitting during a match.

That's it. I don't find anything else people do in a match disrespectful.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Playing laggy Lucarios is quite annoying. Why the hell is rolling to the other side of the stage and charging Aura Sphere more effective than what I'm doing?

vypex

Smash Cadet
Disconnecting or quitting during a match.

That's it. I don't find anything else people do in a match disrespectful.
I personally quit if i have input lag, normal lag is something i can handle but input lag nothing worse for me than trying to hit someone and missing by a mile because controls didn't work properly, to save both me and the other person i time i just quickly double kill myself and drop pairing so maybe both of use could get someone with a better connection match up

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Turtling is without a doubt the most annoying playstyle ever. Never approaching, never using projectiles... just literally waiting for you to approach so they can try to hit you away. I usually do well against people who do this... but again... Why would you get online JUST to play that way?
Oh man, this. I found one player doing this to me and I switched to Villager just to put up trees. The guy had to think what to do as I'd spam some moves like Lloid or Slingshot. Tree on face most of the time too. :D

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Take a guess...
Sarcasm? At least tell me if I guessed right.

Something tells me you don't know much about Falcon players...Just so you know, Falcon players literally taunt at the start of a match for the exact OPPOSITE reason of trying to disrespect.
Oh, I think I understand. So they taunt saying "Come on", to bring up a good match? If that's the case, then I've been wrong this whole time. I guess I need to pay more attention to what the characters say when they taunt.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Sarcasm? At least tell me if I guessed right.

Oh, I think I understand. So they taunt saying "Come on", to bring up a good match? If that's the case, then I've been wrong this whole time. I guess I need to pay more attention to what the characters say when they taunt.
If its the "come on" taunt, its up for interpretation. If its the "show me your moves!" taunt, its meant as a salute or bow of sorts.

HYP

Smash Rookie
NNID
hypster0628
Switch FC
SW-1631-9283-6619
I have about an hour of forced log-off time because of rage quitting. Usually it's because of lag (getting a LAN adapter soon), but the taunting gets to me. I am a mature person most of the time, it's just one of those things that drives me insane.

Teyo

Smash Rookie
Changing your names to "DontSpam" and "GitGud" while taunting/teabagging when you're just trying to have fun with your friend in 2v2s ._.

Yes, I'm still salty.
Just when I start liking the community. And I know that's the minority, but it's these kinds of folks that tend to leave a lasting impression moreso than those you find that are normal/respectful.

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Playing laggy Lucarios is quite annoying. Why the hell is rolling to the other side of the stage and charging Aura Sphere more effective than what I'm doing?
I know the feeling aND it hurts losing to a Lucario who just spams aura spheres. I hate them more then spamus.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
There are a lot of things that annoy me, but in my eyes the only thing in Smash that is truly "disrespectful" is someone not trying their best.

It can be interpreted as them not taking me seriously, or just apathy. Either way, I consider it disrespectful.

Majora MIM

Smash Rookie
The most horrible and disrespectful I encounter online is when the match is hella laggy (like the "3-2-1-go!" is a freaking slideshow) so you SD right at the start and Jean-Kevin taunts you because he's so happy you're scared of him.

Seriously do this people really enjoy playing all day long with that much lag? (And I know the lag is on their end [or Nintendo's] cause I have really high speed internet)

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
Probably the most infuriating thing was the " Free for All " games in which actual 3v1s were legit happening ( moreso in during Brawl's era, but I've still noticed a bit in the new one ). Just trying to play for the sake of enjoying the game > being targeted by 3 " Team Members " > them all taunting you at once when you finally die kinda ruins the online play experience :s

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
Changing your names to "DontSpam" and "GitGud" while taunting/teabagging when you're just trying to have fun with your friend in 2v2s ._.
I encountered someone in For Glory that changed his name to USUCK. I beat the crap out of him and then disconnected. It was satisfying.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I encountered someone in For Glory that changed his name to USUCK. I beat the crap out of him and then disconnected. It was satisfying.
Yesterday I played against some player who was using Sonic. After they killed me one time they started mocking me by running away and taunting. The third time they tried to run away and mock me I hit them with Marth's tipper f smash and killed them. When they respawned they stood on the platform until it disappeared, like they were thinking "Wow, I am an idiot for trying to do that". After that they stopped mocking me and when I beat them they left.

Arilou

Smash Rookie
Evaders. Not simple evading tactics but simply staying completely away while dowsing projectiles across the stage. Never intersecting, never making contact (unless you get too close), never interacting with their opponent. Just. Simply. Being. A. ******.

That and rage quiters. If you can't take a loss, don't play a game.
You must hate Megaman then.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
You must hate Megaman then.
I don't main Megaman,but I know how to use him pretty well. If you see a Megaman player who is spamming their projectiles and rolling all over the place they probably have no idea what they are doing with him. It is also kind of the same with Link.

missla

Smash Rookie
NNID
missla
3DS FC
5472-8401-1251
I hate taunt matches when they never get serious, especially in FG. In one 1v1 match, a Sonic player and I had a ton of fun just taunting and being goofy, but eventually we did start fighting in earnest. When it comes to FFA, a bunch of taunters ganging up on only me because I actually want to play is upsetting.

Also, people SDing and refusing to fight because they're losing. I've been known to grab sore losers that are purposely trying to plummet off the edge and throw them back into the ring so they have more time to consider fighting me.

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
Also, people SDing and refusing to fight because they're losing. I've been known to grab sore losers that are purposely trying to plummet off the edge and throw them back into the ring so they have more time to consider fighting me.
I understand where your coming from considering it's the " serious / give it all you got / show what your made of ! " mode, but I can also see the other player's perspective too ( not the salty ones who DC/SD just cuz they refuse to show respect ). Maybe they have been having a bad day... , idk :s

I've never SD'd in any FG, but I actually just get plain... well sad sometimes... ;-;
I'm a casul @ heart and honestly wish that there was an " in-between " of For Fun and For Glory with items off, non-obscenely game ruining Stage Gimmicks cuz man.. they are so often and SOOO disruptive in SSB4 and even worse in the 3DS version imo. I really hope that a 1v1 / Items OFF / the Stages being limited to Tourny's accepted Stage Meta like Yoshi's island / Delfino / Battlefield / etc. to For Fun mode is patched in @ one point and am surprised that there wasn't one even considered for release as I doubt I was the only one who thought it was wanting it.
( idk, maybe I'm just talking nonsense here ><; )

Last edited:

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
it all depends...honestly you can never truely judge the for glory mode because who knows ,that guy that you were beating and had no chance maybe had to go do something so you never really know

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
I don't find it disrespectful... more like annoying. When you beat someone 10 games in a row... you lose one time because of like a lag spike/lost jump or something like that and then they leave. I get that no one is obligated to continue playing more than one match, but still... really guys? Especially when you're enjoying the matches and the other guy is putting up a respectable effort.

missla

Smash Rookie
NNID
missla
3DS FC
5472-8401-1251
I understand where your coming from considering it's the " serious / give it all you got / show what your made of ! " mode, but I can also see the other player's perspective too ( not the salty ones who DC/SD just cuz they refuse to show respect ). Maybe they have been having a bad day... , idk :s

I've never SD'd in any FG, but I actually just get plain... well sad sometimes... ;-;
I'm a casul @ heart and honestly wish that there was an " in-between " of For Fun and For Glory with items off, non-obscenely game ruining Stage Gimmicks cuz man.. they are so often and SOOO disruptive in SSB4 and even worse in the 3DS version imo. I really hope that a 1v1 / Items OFF / the Stages being limited to Tourny's accepted Stage Meta like Yoshi's island / Delfino / Battlefield / etc. to For Fun mode is patched in @ one point and am surprised that there wasn't one even considered for release as I doubt I was the only one who thought it was wanting it.
( idk, maybe I'm just talking nonsense here ><; )
First of all, I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't stand stage gimmicks that actively try to kill you. I hate it when it happens to me and I want to comfort-hug any Smasher that I watch just get demolished by the stage rather than by the skill of another player.

I also understand feeling really disheartened in 1v1 FG matches - I'm at about a 50% win rate and while I like to be competitive, I've never learned the techniques and the details so anyone who knows that stuff will likely beat me every time. It sucks when you lose over and over when you're used to beating all your friends in real life. But if you just give up, you'll never learn. I actually heightened my grabbing and defensive game because I was losing so much and that changed a lot for the better.

I fully understand why Nintendo didn't include it, but part of me wishes you could turn on the mic and communicate with other Smashers on online mode. If somebody asked me, "Hey, I'm overwhelmed and frustrated and I need a couple seconds to regroup myself," I'd probably comply. I want to fight players at their best and help and learn along with them.

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
Your friend has every right to play the game however he wants to play it.
That's simply... That's not how group functions work. You're thinking of singleplayer.

use tournament rules
Or just sit and wait for the time to run out, and avoid playing him in the future because you don't enjoy matches where you'd rather wait than chase him down.
Woah now. This is not a tournament and I am not training for a tournament, there's no need to arbitrarily default to that ruleset. I might be looking for something else in a particular match and a custom ruleset might work for me. For instance, I don't usually put time on or ban stages by default. I usually do 3 stock instead of 2. I enjoy using equipment sometimes and especially custom moves.

That's between me and the person I'm playing, because there is no regulating body in private matches.

But if you get offended by how another player chooses to play in the game, that's your own fault, not his.
This is not relevant outside of matchmaking, where your opponent is an actual stranger and you cannot reasonably expect to enforce any rules. Even in tournament play you are more than welcome to have your own feelings about mechanics and playstyles; you are also more than welcome to pursue like minded people in search of a change. Being offended by how another person plays the game was technically the first step that led up to items and some stages being banned in the first place, followed by a great deal of consideration of course.

So y'know, maybe it's not appropriate to talk down to people playing the game privately for being 'offended' by something. Not everyone needs to adhere to your ideals, after all.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
When overused characters taunt after they take a stock. (Little mac, Sonic, Fox, etc.) I know it sounds a little immature but it just bugs me.
or when people play your main out of nowhere and beat you with them (in my case I just about died in the inside after some guy switched from Samus to Olimar and wrecked me)

I'm chill with people who taunt with DK or Pac-Man or any other character you don't see much on For glory as your just like "lol ok, its whatever".

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
That's simply... That's not how group functions work. You're thinking of singleplayer.

Woah now. This is not a tournament and I am not training for a tournament, there's no need to arbitrarily default to that ruleset. I might be looking for something else in a particular match and a custom ruleset might work for me. For instance, I don't usually put time on or ban stages by default. I usually do 3 stock instead of 2. I enjoy using equipment sometimes and especially custom moves.

That's between me and the person I'm playing, because there is no regulating body in private matches.

This is not relevant outside of matchmaking, where your opponent is an actual stranger and you cannot reasonably expect to enforce any rules. Even in tournament play you are more than welcome to have your own feelings about mechanics and playstyles; you are also more than welcome to pursue like minded people in search of a change. Being offended by how another person plays the game was technically the first step that led up to items and some stages being banned in the first place, followed by a great deal of consideration of course.

So y'know, maybe it's not appropriate to talk down to people playing the game privately for being 'offended' by something. Not everyone needs to adhere to your ideals, after all.
What I'm talking about is coming to an agreement ahead of time with the people you're playing with about what you enjoy in your matches and coming to a fair compromise, which is what all my suggestions are about. Your friend has the right to play however he wants, and for you to be offended when you didn't like the camping playstyle he wanted to use is not his fault at all, it's YOUR fault for not letting him know ahead of time. Like you said, not everyone needs to adhere to YOUR ideals, so why not stop talking down to your friend and quit acting like you have some sort of noble sense of what constitutes fair gameplay, because it just reads like salt. People play to win, and unless they're cheating or using some game-breaking glitch, how they play is their own business.

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
When overused characters taunt after they take a stock. (Little mac, Sonic, Fox, etc.) I know it sounds a little immature but it just bugs me.
or when people play your main out of nowhere and beat you with them (in my case I just about died in the inside after some guy switched from Samus to Olimar and wrecked me)

I'm chill with people who taunt with DK or Pac-Man or any other character you don't see much on For glory as your just like "lol ok, its whatever".
Getting mad just because someone taunts is dumb.... only getting mad when they taunt with a common character is just... I don't think a word exists for that yet. I can't even...

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Rolling projectile-spammers when I'm playing heavies

People taunting when I SD, especially if the match is laggy

I don't really find it disrespectful, just stupid

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
I have a new one now actually. This only started happening recently but has become a massive nuisance since.

If I have roughly 500 games on For Glory now, I'd say 490 of those are with Wii Fit Trainer. Other people like to play multiple characters, which is totally fine by me. The thing that I find annoying is people who opt to switch around characters UNTIL they find one who they can beat me with and then stop changing. This isn't a goddamn 50 grand tournament, there's no need to play the "who can counter the other person's character harder" game. It's particularly frustrating given that Final Destination is a pretty polarizing stage to begin with, so against characters that WFT MIGHT have bad MUs against to begin with are just worsened by the lack of movement. Just... stop.

Arle Nadja

NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
Like you said, not everyone needs to adhere to YOUR ideals, so why not stop talking down to your friend and quit acting like you have some sort of noble sense of what constitutes fair gameplay, because it just reads like salt. People play to win, and unless they're cheating or using some game-breaking glitch, how they play is their own business.
I don't know where you get off telling me how to act in private with my friend. That's rather presumptuous. You don't know what constitutes normal between us, what the nature of our relationship is. The difference between me telling you we don't need to adhere to your ideals and you telling me my friend doesn't have to adhere to mine is that I have a right to speak for myself; you have no right to speak for him.

He has already spoken for himself by giving me his approval.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
People who beat me - VERY disrespectful.

People I beat - very respectful lovely people. Don't all of you want to be respectful and loving? I bet you do.

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
I hate taunt matches when they never get serious, especially in FG. In one 1v1 match, a Sonic player and I had a ton of fun just taunting and being goofy, but eventually we did start fighting in earnest.
Haha that sounds exactly like me, and I play Sonic! I always begin a match by taunting as a sort of handshake. Sometimes it results into goofing off where things just get ridiculous and it's loads of fun.

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
I don't know where you get off telling me how to act in private with my friend. That's rather presumptuous. You don't know what constitutes normal between us, what the nature of our relationship is. The difference between me telling you we don't need to adhere to your ideals and you telling me my friend doesn't have to adhere to mine is that I have a right to speak for myself; you have no right to speak for him.

He has already spoken for himself by giving me his approval.
You're avoiding my points. It doesn't matter what the nature of your relationship between you and your friend is, if you're going to groan that camping in part of the stage is 'grossly disrespectful', I'm going to let you know that I think you're being salty. If it's "a private matter butt out", then don't talk about your friend on public forums in the first place. Either way the point still stands, people play the way they want in order to win, and the fact you're offended by it to the point of calling it "grossly disrespectful" just goes to show how salty you are, and how little you respect other people's right to play their own way.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
This whole thread is kinda about not respecting the way other people play, so...

missla

Smash Rookie
NNID
missla
3DS FC
5472-8401-1251
Haha that sounds exactly like me, and I play Sonic! I always begin a match by taunting as a sort of handshake. Sometimes it results into goofing off where things just get ridiculous and it's loads of fun.
I don't remember the name of the person I played that day, but they also played a Captain Falcon (we had a few matches together). Again, when it's one on one, I don't mind goofing around a little, but eventually I'd like to start playing.

Oh, another thing I hate: if you SD over and over again to be goofy or because you're losing and you're upset, take yourself off the Spectator Mode list. It's aggravating to bet gold on someone only to have them lose, not because they were outskilled and I just happened to choose poorly, but because they threw a temper tantrum and didn't even try to get back into the game and just gave up.

Arle Nadja

NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
It doesn't matter what the nature of your relationship between you and your friend is
It's actually the one and only thing that does matter. Your points are trite and can only result in circular discussion. For example: You are now aggressively ignoring the fact that you are defending a fictional victim, a situation I can only describe as mind numbing.

That being said, I will unfortunately have to find a way to brave this cold winter without your approval.

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
It's actually the one and only thing that does matter. Your points are trite and can only result in circular discussion. For example: You are now aggressively ignoring the fact that you are defending a fictional victim, a situation I can only describe as mind numbing.

That being said, I will unfortunately have to find a way to brave this cold winter without your approval.
Now you're just running away from the actual discussion about whether camping is a "grossly disrespectful" tactic, throwing up strawmen amounting to "so long as my friend puts up with me that's all that matters". Your attitude and ideology exists whether your friend puts up with it or not, and it's still salty, and it's still wrong.

I'm sure all the salt in your system is enough to protect you through all the winter. :rolleyes:

Arle Nadja

NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
Now you're just running away from the actual discussion
A discussion implies an exchange has been made. You have contributed nothing new since your first reply and have burried your head in the sand in response to all the holes being poked in your hypocritical moral guardian tirade.

throwing up strawmen amounting to "so long as my friend puts up with me that's all that matters".
Straw"man" is not a magical word that shields you from facts.

Your attitude and ideology exists whether your friend puts up with it or not, and it's still salty, and it's still wrong.

I'm sure all the salt in your system is enough to protect you through all the winter. :rolleyes:
Nah. I didn't have enough salt to stay annoyed for more than a couple of minutes. You seem like you're more than willing to unload hours worth of your own onto people you don't know; could I get a loan?

Top Bottom