• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Zero Suit/Samus in Shorts Social

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
His specials are all pretty amazing, his recovery is quite good (Shoryuken even hits onstage when it sweet spots) and his power in general is stupid. The hitboxes aren't nearly as bad as you think, especially dash attack and Bair. Ftilt breaks shields - even his downthrow onto a shielded opponent breaks shields - and we can't camp him out.

Telling you, he's pretty effing good.
I agree he is good, but I think he will have a hard time in the neutral against someone with good spacing.

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Would say ZSS grab is unchanged as well. Played for about an hour on FG, the only difference I noticed was that the nubs are back out in full force and the level of salt is unusually high. Lots of rolling, and lots of kids changing their names to insult me. Can't wait for the rush to die down. Until it does, I'll probably only play on the ladder since people are more civil there. Hate feeling like everyone I encounter online is trying to pick a fight.

Edit: I also think it's too early to call on Ryu. He's powerful and combo's well but his recovery is awful and he's not particularly fast. Seems like he can be spaced out very easily since just about everything beats his projectile. Maybe I just didn't encounter any good ones though.

Roy though... I fell like all of his moves are kill moves.

Last edited:

Peahnuts

Smash Cadet
Made an account to say thanks to people like @ Tobi_Whatever Tobi_Whatever , @ Dr. Tuen Dr. Tuen , and many more of you who frequent the zss boards because you helped me to place 3rd at a recent local (40 people). Before that I came 13th of 85 people, and 25th of 40 people lol so there's definite improvement going on!

Tobi's combo vid thread opened my eyes to zss's potential after I was in a super bad mindset. I hated her 300 frame grab, was getting bopped by pika and sheiks, and had all kinds of johns about zss's neutral lmao. But now I'm much more satisfied and even excited to be maining zss.

Also dsmash to flip kick spike is legit the best thing in this game jesus.

Hope to stay active & nice meeting y'all :laugh:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Surprisingly that's where my avatar is from lol.
Someone for the love of god tell me we can up B Ryu's down b and knock him out of it.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Hype kick works~ I got my third single-frame hit today in an online tournament.

I'm also going to check the spacing for moves that I have pictures for in the spacing visualization thread.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Hype kick works~ I got my third single-frame hit today in an online tournament.

I'm also going to check the spacing for moves that I have pictures for in the spacing visualization thread.
How did you end up doing it? was it that method I talked about months ago from down smash at certain %s? With the somewhat annoying falling out of boost kick from certain chars and high %s I ended up making that downsmash foxtrot boost kick because I was salty from getting punished those random times people got out of it. Although that salt helped me learn downsmash's.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
How did you end up doing it? was it that method I talked about months ago from down smash at certain %s? With the somewhat annoying falling out of boost kick from certain chars and high %s I ended up making that downsmash foxtrot boost kick because I was salty from getting punished those random times people got out of it. Although that salt helped me learn downsmash's.
I use the reverse kick method. It's in our boards... over [here]. I think choco started using it first, but I'm having a lot of fun running with it. When timed right, it can cover the one frame vulnerability thing while also covering side recovery options like the space animals, Diddy, and ZSS (if our flip kicks are timed very differently).

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
That's pretty cool, probably the best way to abuse the snap vulnerability, because we don't exactly have many lingering hitboxes. The only issue I have with it is its consistency, if the opponent sees it coming they can often alter their timing which makes it harder to punish 'em.
I much prefer the thing Nairo does where he runs off and instantly sideBs the ledge, pulls up, and forces a ledge trump if the opponent doesn't immediately pick an option. I discovered that if they do, you can (instead of pulling up after sideBing) cancel with a downB and hit their roll or normal getup (attack) with it. Alternatively if you predict jump, you can just down to cancel the tether and jump and punish it, hell, even going for the downB on the stage puts you in a good position at that point, so reading the jump isn't even necessary. Pretty strong mixup against people who are on the ledge and I love the pressure/pacing it sets.

On another note, have people started using Zair from the ledge? between that and upB reaching like 5 miles into the stage we have a pretty easy time getting off the ledge.

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
So, I might be the slowest on Earth...
Am I the last ZSS to realize that if you Flip Jump, and input the kick behind with very slight input behind you still get the full forwards momentum while kicking inwards?

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
Am I the last ZSS to realize that if you Flip Jump, and input the kick behind with very slight input behind you still get the full forwards momentum while kicking inwards?
I kind of felt that too, but I never actually tested it much, most of the forward momentum is gained from like the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the flip jump animation, so if you kick inward after that time I think you're only loosing a very small/negligible amount of momentum .

Edit: Tested real quick on the Sonic omega stage (because of the blocks to help measure distances), and it seems that slightly shifting inwards with the control stick for kicking, doesn't seem to even affect the momentum during the end of the flip kick. Not sure if that also works fine mid-momentum, since Samus is too high up for accurate block measuring. Testing should be done on this.

Nvm, thats just because pressing ''A'' without using the control stick means an inward kick, I'm freaking dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Wait a minute... I'm literally ********...
I forgot that Flip Kick defaulted to an inward kick.. I'm so used to holding forward for the momentum that I always hard-press inwards and I thought it always stopped momentum...
Anyway... carry on.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
It's ok Nick I'm literally ******** every day xD. I noticed this but never really paid it any mind because alot of the time this was an input error and I will generally use the kick for distance to reset when I want to breath.
Hmmm so does anyone know if it's worth while to switch to magnetic net in the g&w mu? I surprisingly won a g1 on LyLat because I was abusing the curve for ground level lasers but on other stages...

CatStache

Smash Cadet
NNID
CatStache
Im not sure if this is widely known, but you can grab ness and throw him off stage. If he has more than like ~40%, you can then footstool him with the end of your down b and he can't recover at all. In my experience it works 100% of the time, and it's hilarious.

Edit: If I have time/remember to do it, I'll try to make a video showing how to do it as proof.

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
1. If he has his jump he can still live.
2. If Ness inputs air-dodge, you will bounce on his head and he still still be dodging.

Peahnuts

Smash Cadet
ZSS has more representation than Sheik/Diddy in CEO top 8 in a weird (but awesome) turn of events! Personally hope Nairo or Nick Riddle manage to take it. Smash 4 top 8 is super diverse.

David Viran

Smash Lord
ZSS has more representation than Sheik/Diddy in CEO top 8 in a weird (but awesome) turn of events! Personally hope Nairo or Nick Riddle manage to take it. Smash 4 top 8 is super diverse.
Yeah no sheiks in top 8 unless you count zero and there are two diddys including zero.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
what are zero suits bad match ups? also how does sonic do against zss? how does pit do?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Man GFs where amazing, Nairo really did great against ZeRo's Sheik.
Imo he should have dodged that goddamn Sheik uAir with dSpecial more often though.

Argh ZeRo's just too good! :(

We'll see what happens at EVO...
He honestly did better than I expected, especially since he stuck to ZSS.
Really inspiring.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Imo he should have dodged that goddamn Sheik uAir with dSpecial more often though.

Really inspiring.
Yeah zero seemed to have got to him at the end there.

Take 5

Smash Apprentice

Really inspiring.
Yep, hope he keeps ZSS as his main main.

If only there wasn't a way to DI the u-air u-air boost kick combo--would have netted Nairo a couple critical kills. This match has also shown me paralyzer is so slow as to be almost useless against a good Sheik.

Edit: added "almost" to that last sentence to avoid controversy...

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Yep, hope he keeps ZSS as his main main.

If only there wasn't a way to DI the u-air u-air boost kick combo--would have netted Nairo a couple critical kills. This match has also shown me paralyzer is so slow as to be almost useless against a good Sheik.

Edit: added "almost" to that last sentence to avoid controversy...
I think every uSpecial miss after uAir > uAir Nairo had was because the uSpecial was too low, not (only) because ZeRo DI'd correctly

And yeah, paralizer is pretty bad against Sheik, I know this first hand.

I really loved the matches though. So dynamic.
And Nairo's grab game was beyond beautiful.

Last edited:

Peahnuts

Smash Cadet
ZeRo's DI on the actual boost kick as well were really reaaaaally good. Nairo VS ZeRo really made me want to see more of his ZSS but it kind of also showed how evident her flaws are in high level (and even mid level) play. Her grab is just so shoddy. Literally got so hyped every time Nairo landed a grab. Kind of feel like Sheik just frame datas all over ZSS ahah. Mad props to Nairo though (and ZeRo).

Also for the sheik uairs that led to death, was ZSS still in hitstun? Or could Nairo have flip jumped out of there? I felt like there was a reason he wasn't air dodging.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
ZeRo's DI on the actual boost kick were really reaaaaally good. Nairo VS ZeRo really makes me want to see more of Nairo's ZSS but it kind of also showed how evident her flaws are in high level (and even mid level) play. Her grab is just so shoddy. Literally got so hyped every time Nairo landed a grab.

Also was Nairo still in hitstun when he got caught by the uairs? Or could he really have flip jumped / regular jumped out of there?
No, he made big mistakes there. He airdodged and ZeRo just waited for it.
He should have used dSpecial to get away instead.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
ZeRo's DI on the actual boost kick were really reaaaaally good. Nairo VS ZeRo really makes me want to see more of Nairo's ZSS but it kind of also showed how evident her flaws are in high level (and even mid level) play. Her grab is just so shoddy. Literally got so hyped every time Nairo landed a grab.

Also was Nairo still in hitstun when he got caught by the uairs? Or could he really have flip jumped / regular jumped out of there?
He prolly could have flip jumped but maybe not. He seemed to have forgotton about flip jump at the end. You could tell when his grab reads were off he got destroyed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom