• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The worst Snowday ever and the Best snowday that never happened.

Grunt

Smash Master
Ok, so first a little background. Vancouver WA rarely gets snow. it's usually a lot of rain all year round. and if we get anything close to snow, it's 3 inches of ****ing ice. So granted no one prepares for large winter storms or anything, the slightest amounts of snow will somehow slick up the roads enough to cause pileups on freeways.

Now as everybody knows, the school district administrators call whether or not the school district is closed because of snow. Yesterday (Wednesday) the forecast was calling for large amounts of snow at about 7-8 am and all melting by about noon. now, Portland, just south of us, and camas just east of us, had about 10x as much snow as we did, so I'm sure the district was worried about the roads freezing over and stuff, so they decided to call school off before it had even started snowing here.

Boy was the forecast wrong.

I don't think a 1/2 inch of snow accumulated for more than a few hours, then melted away slightly afterward. OK, so now I'm stuck in my house with no school and no snow to play in. WTF man. WTF? So I had a small smashfest with some dudes and they left, and the rest of the day sucked.
D:
Well, it was about 6 pm and I decided to see what the scene for tomorrow was going to look like. It was obvious that the forecasters got in trouble for extremely precise forecasting that ended up being wrong. There was no snow and the forecast was 35 degrees and going to rise to about 38 midday and never reach freezing. They were playing it on the safe side and not telling you where it might or might not snow, and just doing a million "weather update!" with someone reporting snow in their area.

Ok, so our area had the least amount of snow of anybody ever in the history of snow days, and we wanted at least some snow to fall and hopefully stick so we could get a REAL snow day. school remained open, and there was no snow. it seemed the forecasters playing on the safe side were right.

I couldn't let that happen. The news HAD to be wrong.

only a few minutes into 1st period I got a rather cunning idea. I grabbed a piece of paper that i ripped out of my "Death Note" and stuffed into my backpack. I then wrote "clear skies" and "above 32 degree temperatures" in it's content. I then sat there with a half smirk on my face, feeling pretty smart. Shortly after the class started their loud remarks. "Oh look, it's snowing!" It was true, the sky had turned a dull grey, and it was obviously cold enough to snow...HARD.

Now This had happened years earlier, freshman year to be exact, and they ended up sending people home right away after school started. So all I had to do was wait. I had done it.

Or had I?

1st period had gone by without so much as a doubt that school was going to close, it was just a matter of when the buses could get back. 2nd period had come along, the snow was falling harder and accumulating more. But...school was still in session. What had gone wrong?

Well this is where the Superintendent of the district comes in. He has a name, but he shall be known as "D" for now. This man whom I have never even seen before was ruining my plan. D was determined to let school be in session for as long as possible, and he would not lose. D even slipped off the road and ended up in a ditch trying to reach the district office, but did he cancel school? No, it's just what he'd expect me to expect him to do. So now D is running on pure hope that the snow melts by the end of the day, and that they didn't ruin their reputation by calling school off when it didn't need to be, again.

3rd period rolled around and snow continue to pile up. people were slipping outside, and a few good inches of snow covered the roads and everything else. I sat there watching cute baby polar bears slide down arctic slopes and baby deer getting it's spine ripped out by a wolf, wondering if D would ever crack, and send us home. As I watched out the window, something happened.

The snow stopped.

HOW? The warm temperatures and clear skies should have died when I wrote them down, and the timing of the first snow fall seemed too coincidental to be a natural phenomenon. The only explanation was that D had overwritten my death request of warm weather with his own! I had absolutely no control over the weather like I had thought. That means that D had this planned all along...If so, then when would warm weather really die? probably not in this lifetime even, I know he would love to see me fail. that means that he has been planning our districts weather since he started in office, this year. The snow melted by the time school got out.

I had been defeated.
I had lost the game.

tl;dr:
day off with no snow, school with lots of snow.

anyone else have stupid snow days?

M.K

Level 55
One or two years ago, the schools decided half-way through the day that they should just release every god **** student in North Carolina because of the snow.

It took kids SEVEN HOURS to get half-an-hour to their house because there was so much traffic congestion.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I'm having a now day right now ^_^

Our break doesn't start till tomorrow but, due to snow day, we got an extra day. Yes, I know most of your breaks start earlier but they also end around Jan 5th. Mine is longer then that :D

-:bowser:Bowser King

Darkslash

Smash Master
I'm having a now day right now ^_^

Our break doesn't start till tomorrow but, due to snow day, we got an extra day. Yes, I know most of your breaks start earlier but they also end around Jan 5th. Mine is longer then that :D

-:bowser:Bowser King
**** YOU TORONTO AND YOUR POSITION IN THE MIDDLE OF A LARGE LANDMASS!!!!

So yea West coast had horrible snow on Wednesday. Think Lake Acuity. It was snowing in a pattern. when i figured it out i was like WTF!!! Then the busses took forever. What was a 4 minute wait and a 5 minute bus ride became a 2 hour wait and a 15 minute bus ride, becuase i went in a circle. So when i did the bus i was waiting for 5 of them come up in a row, and i was ****. So yea it was bad.

Grunt

Smash Master
as an update, the little snow from yesterday stuck around and froze so now it's another snow day!
:D

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
9 days ago I actually had a snowday, which we raraly get considering were near the border.

Anyway, it was my first time that I actually threw a snowball and I must say it was a weird experience but memorable one.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It snowed last week (Thursday). A week later it was 80 degrees. ****ING LOUISIANA!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I have a snowday today as well. It started snowing early in the morning and it's still snowing now...a lot of snow, but I hate it so I'm not going outside. =P

The worst snowday ever was when my friend asked me to go over to his house, and we couldn't even get out of the drive way the snow was so high. I had to shovel the drive way for like 2 hours just so I could go to a friends house.

The best snowday was about 6 years ago, and my brother and I were eating snow and pushing eachother off the big 6 foot high piles of snow. We also jumped on our trampoline, which is so much fun. You keep slipping and falling and the snow breaks off in big chunks, allowing for some intense trampoline fights. =P

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Spokane, WA is pretty much shut down right now. It was snowing so much that the snow plows had to continually take care of the four or so major arterials in the city instead of branching off doing secondary routes, emergency routes and side streets. If you drive a car, it's pretty much pointless to try to go anywhere. You'll get stuck. We've got 37 inches of snow at my house, and it's not going to be melting any time soon with the arctic temperatures we're having.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
It was a snow day around here too.....If I were still in grades K-12. Freezing Rain and 1-2 inches of snow in NW Ohio

Didn't matter my winter break for college started anyways. Got into a Donkey Kong Off Constest with my friend on SNES (Which I won; DK3) and then Smashed Online with a few friends. Great Day and I don't have to work for 3 hours. :bluejump:

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
It was a snow day around here too.....If I were still in grades K-12. Freezing Rain and 1-2 inches of snow in NW Ohio

Didn't matter my winter break for college started anyways. Got into a Donkey Kong Off Constest with my friend on SNES (Which I won; DK3) and then Smashed Online with a few friends. Great Day and I don't have to work for 3 hours. :bluejump:
Donkey Kong Off? What's a Donkey Kong Off? Will it raise my taxes?

Agi

Smash Lord

Like Grunt, my school was closed on Wednesday to no new snow accumulation, then was announced to be open on Thursday. I'm sitting in the bus, halfway to school, when suddenly the girl in the seat next to me freaks out. Apparently, she got a text message saying that school had been canceled. Five minutes later, the bus driver turns around and takes everybody back home. Over the following 12 hours a foot of snow fell. So, due to incompetent school management, I had a two-day school week!

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
I'm up in Seattle, we didn't have a regular school day all week
it snowed last saturday, and froze over on sunday, so we were two hours late arrival on monday and tuesday
Then, because the weathermen predicted snow at 10:00am, we had no school on wednesday, turns out it didn't snow, and the snow and ice we had thawed and melted :laugh:
Yesterday, was thursday, we got about 4-5 inches of snow overnight, so no school, temps didn't reach freezing, so no school again today, early winter break :)

Spire

III
BRoomer
It snowed last week (Thursday). A week later it was 80 degrees. ****ING LOUISIANA!
Hehehe. Snowed last weekend for several hours, coating the city. Today, we cooked in 80 degree weather again. Winter does not exist in Texas.

D

Deleted member

I remember in Junior year we went back to school after Christmas for one day. There was a huge blizzard for the rest of January. Best of all, the governor called it a state emergency and we didn't have to make up the days!

Worst snow day was when I wrecked my car because some dandy guy decided to try to pass in a no passing zone.

slave1

Smash Lord
we actually had our first snow day this year. but school was only delayed. i have never ever ever had a snow day. i have lived in Utah for ten years and nothing, even when ten inches drops over night. i still have to go to school. so you people that get these snow days for three inches. count your self as lucky.

but it was cool because we got to go at 10 instead of seven

Regam

Smash Rookie
Same thing happened to me. A few years ago, they canceled school a day early, and it NEVER snowed. To make up for it, every year since then they've been the only school open (I go to a private school in Michigan). Once, they sent us home an hour early, but I still got home at the same time as usual. :(
Technically they cancelled Friday, but only a couple of people were supposed to be in for their last exams. I hope this doesn't count as a strike on the days alloted for expected snowdays, and make us stay later in June if we get three more.

Top Bottom