• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. Did calebyte go to MLG, cus i thought I saw him playing but didnt get a chance to play or talk to him.

2. up throw at 140 to spring down air back onto spring to rising back is fkn legit. consider that mess EXTRA stolen.

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
1. Did calebyte go to MLG, cus i thought I saw him playing but didnt get a chance to play or talk to him.

2. up throw at 140 to spring down air back onto spring to rising back is fkn legit. consider that mess EXTRA stolen.
1. yes, he was there and he's a really neat guy. we go, scratch that, went to the same college in indiana but he graduated this year. sadface. chat him up at the next national you are both at.

2. then consider that move twice stolen, cuz i believe i stole it from mohsoce. I try to model my style after him in ways. Propz to my mexican broseph.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
2. then consider that move twice stolen, cuz i believe i stole it from muhsoce. I try to model my style after him in ways. Propz to my mexican broseph.
This.
The guy is extreme, i'm trying to get to his status every day.
Also, looking to make some more replays, but it doesn't seem to be going well for me.
Let's see what comes along.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRl9q5fMEWo

Kinzer(Sonic) Vs. Z(Fox) Match 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ViNU1qLajQ

Kinzer(Sonic) Vs. Z(Pikachu match 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqr5RpxK8A

Kinzer(Sonic) Vs. Z(Pikachu) match 3

Somebody tell me some of the less obvious things I need to work on. Please and thank you.
Downsmash much?

Personally I use uair like you use nair. Uair's disjointed hitbox and hitbox in general is much more of an offensive move than nair.

I think you're forgetting about Espy's patented "i'm going to grab you again-oh no what... I'm just gonna run past you and while you spot dodge or start to drop your shield I'm gonna pull a reverse sawnick punch!
^Would have worked great on that last stock when you missed the grab and he did a dsmash.

OH... also short hop right above them and bair instead of grabbing:
Grab (duh)
Stop short > ftilt,dtilt,jab
Short hop > bair
Run past >fsmash
Usmash (remember it has invincy frames on startup)

You don't start mixing up your approaches till the final stock. The first stock where I think you stop somewhere between the distances of... really far away... and attempt to grab/ASC. Especially against characters with much better priority/responses to a standard sonic pummel approach.

I watched just the first one, I'll edit this post after the rest.

You mixed up your approaches more in the pikachu matches. Still though, it's really obvious that you're trying grab and it's even more obvious that you've gotten into his head that you're doing that.... so now just throw in some of those spin charges or even usmash since it lasts longer and you can even hold it to help with the timing as they come out of their dodge.

When you have them recovering, don't get it in your head that you have to connect with a bair every single time... especially when it's not going to kill them.
His superior ground speed means you can run to where they are landing.
Instead make like your chasing with a short hop or something but then sit tight on the ground and wait for them to land into either your shield>grab or a smash or something. I counted maybe two dsmashes in those three games.... that's like one of sonic's top 3 kill moves..... bair, fsmash, dsmash.... you need them all to stop yourself from getting up to ASC KO % range, lol.

Uthrow is the highest damaging throw.... dthrow is the obvious best tech choice if they don't know how to DI/Tech it, but don't deny them the pleasure of Sonic's 12% throw... especially at low percents.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That's how I avoid getting CG'd by Pikachu. :(
If the Pikachu is competent at his fthrow chaingrab, you aren't getting out until 40%.
Just sit back and wait. Don't let that 40% slow you down. That's only four uthrows from us.

Mashing UpB during the chaingrab (or jab, I think. I dunno which is faster), is probably the best way to escape if they make a mistake during the chaingrab.

Be wary though, if the Pikachu sees the UpB coming, they might punish with thunder.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If the Pikachu is competent at his fthrow chaingrab, you aren't getting out until 40%.
Just sit back and wait. Don't let that 40% slow you down. That's only four uthrows from us.

Mashing UpB during the chaingrab (or jab, I think. I dunno which is faster), is probably the best way to escape if they make a mistake during the chaingrab.

Be wary though, if the Pikachu sees the UpB coming, they might punish with thunder.
Hmm? Well that's something to keep in mind when I'm being grabbed, but I was referring to avoiding being grabbed all-together.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh.

Then no. Don't do it.

You'll eat a nair.
Okay. I'll try to find something else. But since it works somewhat well for now I'll stick with that.

Downsmash much?

Personally I use uair like you use nair. Uair's disjointed hitbox and hitbox in general is much more of an offensive move than nair.

I think you're forgetting about Espy's patented "i'm going to grab you again-oh no what... I'm just gonna run past you and while you spot dodge or start to drop your shield I'm gonna pull a reverse sawnick punch!
^Would have worked great on that last stock when you missed the grab and he did a dsmash.

OH... also short hop right above them and bair instead of grabbing:
Grab (duh)
Stop short > ftilt,dtilt,jab
Short hop > bair
Run past >fsmash
Usmash (remember it has invincy frames on startup)

You don't start mixing up your approaches till the final stock. The first stock where I think you stop somewhere between the distances of... really far away... and attempt to grab/ASC. Especially against characters with much better priority/responses to a standard sonic pummel approach.

You mixed up your approaches more in the pikachu matches. Still though, it's really obvious that you're trying grab and it's even more obvious that you've gotten into his head that you're doing that.... so now just throw in some of those spin charges or even usmash since it lasts longer and you can even hold it to help with the timing as they come out of their dodge.

When you have them recovering, don't get it in your head that you have to connect with a bair every single time... especially when it's not going to kill them.
His superior ground speed means you can run to where they are landing.
Instead make like your chasing with a short hop or something but then sit tight on the ground and wait for them to land into either your shield>grab or a smash or something. I counted maybe two dsmashes in those three games.... that's like one of sonic's top 3 kill moves..... bair, fsmash, dsmash.... you need them all to stop yourself from getting up to ASC KO % range, lol.

Uthrow is the highest damaging throw.... dthrow is the obvious best tech choice if they don't know how to DI/Tech it, but don't deny them the pleasure of Sonic's 12% throw... especially at low percents.
You mean Sonic's, or Pikachus? If you mean the latter and you're implying that I got hit by it a lot and failed to DI out of it, yes you're right on that. I don't know why, I don't usually have any trouble...

I really should get into the habit of Uairing more. What is this, the 4th time somebody has told me how much Uair helps them? I lost track.

I really don't like the way that feels. Sonic's Forward smash is not guaranteed by itself, does simply running behind them really work? I can't believe it would but I suppose I need to experiment with that more if it does. Maybe in perfect play which is what I am thinking of but I need to remember I'm playing against humans. Doesn't help that I know Pikachu is practically a walking hitbox, it's so hard to get inside of him FGS nusrithuerithe8oeydry. I would like to know more about this though, I am really uncomfortable...

I'm bad at timing USmash. No excuses though, I'll have to work on that.

Everybody tells me this. :/ Noted.

Are you suggesting I approach him directly with a Spin Dash Roll? That has not worked too well for me in the past, and it's because it's so inconsistent with me. Let me just mention SDR Vs. TJolt; sometimes I managed to clank or go past it, other times it knocks me out and I eat a good 5-8%. God what an annoying projectile to get hit by, avoiding it is one thing but it does so much freaking damage if it hits. DX

I see what you mean with this. My edgeguarding game is really lacking. Bair just feels like it reaches far, keeps me safe, and lingers for a little bit so that's why I spam it so much when they're on the edge. I would like to think I have been using more DSmash, or at the least I am aware of it's potential on the edge and the power it possesses in its own right.

Unfortunately, Z knows how to tech it, no that's a no-go. Everybody else pretty much should but since they don't... meh. And I don't know why I wasn't using as much U-Throw in this set; I'm usually the one advocating to spam, this throw over everything else. :dizzy:

Thank you. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you, my computer was uploading some videos and everything else performs slowly while it's getting that out of the way.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
With the exception of the parts where I die, (since most of the time I die due to either doing stuff I know I shouldnt be doing or challenging stuff I REALLY shouldnt be challenging [thunder is gay]) I think this is a perfect illustration of how to go about the pikachu matchup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx3W8MYpIbI

after rewatching it 2-3 times (god, I love watch my self **** peeps) I retract my previous statement.

replace "die" in the first sentance and parentheses with "get hit"

Tenki

Smash Hero
I like how you're like "i'm gonna get hit-- nah loljk 2slow" all the time.
tiiiiight

even if he like, daired out of every uthrow lol [does he know the matchup?]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx3W8MYpIbI#t=4m54 <-- ? video edit, ragequit, wat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx3W8MYpIbI#t=6m55s <-- counterpick fail :3

anyway, gs :D

iono if you meant for the U-throw > DI chase, but sometimes you can DI trap their U-air if you do it with your back facing away from the center of the stage :>

It sets them up for spring shenanigans much better since they tend to hold towards the stage (weaker DI)

nice bairs

:093:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I told everyone like 2 weeks before the tourney that I was going to beat him in a MM, just based on the pure fact that hes never seen a sonic before, and Ive been playing with a dude whos only slightly less skilled than him with the character pretty much every other week since june 08

Tenki

Smash Hero
I told everyone like 2 weeks before the tourney that I was going to beat him in a MM, just based on the pure fact that hes never seen a sonic before, and Ive been playing with a dude whos only slightly less skilled than him with the character pretty much every other week since june 08
loll

was that the MM or did you play him in brackets?
either way, gj

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if he was in my bracket, he wouldnt have gotten 7th and I wouldnt have gotten 49th.

that was a mm in the hotel room saturday night.

for what its worth, me and san were also doing work on people in doubles that night. ESAM even said that we should have dropped who ever we were teaming with and partnered up for that tourney.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic and Pikachu are pretty fun on a team. Me and Prime have decent success whenever we go for it.

Their combined edgeguarding on opponents is insane.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I would rather team with san than pikapika.

when we were at mlg, we played some doubles games, and san was hitting people with up airs after my up throws at 100. it was SOOOOOO gross. who needs edgeguarding when you can do that?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
At least Pikachu can handle being edge guarded by two people at once.
*shrugs*

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
not if the two people are good and know something about pikachu. although apparently, having knowledge about pikachu is rare these days.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If the two people are good and know something about Ike, he wouldn't be working in a team at all.
He'd be too busy getting gimped.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Thats what the sonic is for. to keep ike from getting 2 v1 gimped. also to sit in the back and charge spindash while the partner 2 v1s and than we he gets an opening, its a free 20%.

thats how X plays doubles...

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Only in kill power. Pika will be able to stock tank and set Sonic up for gimps more easily.

Actually not only in kill power. Pika's jolt and thunder can be a pain to run into and is far more likely than accidentally getting betrayed by Ike. I'd rather team with a Pika personally cause I know his options better than Ikes.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
In all the tournaments I've teamed with K Prime, I think I've only been killed by an accidental thunder maybe ONCE.

Pikachu plays a very similar role to the role a Sonic plays on a team. Just stay out of their hair when they're doing their thing.

That's all there is to it.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I still think it's MORE likely. >:C

You make it sound like when I teamed with my friend in Melee. I'd be Falcon and we'd get in each others way all the time. Once he learned to back up and let me do as I pleased while he supported(he played Falco) we were nuts. :D

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
With the exception of the parts where I die, (since most of the time I die due to either doing stuff I know I shouldnt be doing or challenging stuff I REALLY shouldnt be challenging [thunder is gay]) I think this is a perfect illustration of how to go about the pikachu matchup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx3W8MYpIbI

after rewatching it 2-3 times (god, I love watch my self **** peeps) I retract my previous statement.

replace "die" in the first sentance and parentheses with "get hit"
You got hit by more thunders than I expected otherwise you pretty much just baited smashes and killed him with fsmash or random bairs

-PikaPika!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you forgot about the grab game.

The grab game was on point that match.

KID CGs all day.

and the only reason I got hit by those thunders was because I got cocky and was trying to challenge stuff with out giving him credit as a really good player. Like when I daired into that T2

Tenki

Smash Hero

and the only reason I got hit by those thunders was because I got cocky and was trying to challenge stuff with out giving him credit as a really good player. Like when I daired into that T2
lol, it woulda been great if that worked, considering how Sonic's D-air falls faster than Thunder does.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Every time ESAM was above you, he daired.
C'mon KID. I wanted to see bair punishes all day.

Otherwise, good stuff.

Top Bottom