• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

Muhsoce

Smash Cadet
Well every match doesnt have to be that serious like a tourney, I enjoy playing like this, cause its more entertaining to play like this, there is no use to show someone grabbing the edge that can be done at a tourney, friendlies are for fu, in tourney I wont save them maybe not even edge grab thats only for people who do it or people that I dont like or in a very problematic fight, ja.

Anyway, Glad you enjoyed!!

Take care

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldWe2Rg7dCs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GobEnsoCaB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDXWnljbgDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdgh4SReDKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s08SzQ9-LhY

The first two matches are for Trela's TOMB wifi tourney, against xxwolfwoodxx; the third is a friendly we had afterward.

The last two are also wifi.

The last two, I had tried to experiment with VSDJs and see where that got me. The former three, were me playing as I usually would.

I'm trying to figure out how to approach and use other damage racking options, how to evade, whole bunch of other stuff. Point being, I still need some things to work on.

Any ideas from these five videos?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Sonic Storm: I watched the first couple minutes of that first match against a Kirby.

My advice: :( stop playing WiFi. The lag was visibly bad enough that it had a real impact on the way you both played the game; like the sorts of strategies you employed, the zones which you felt were safe and the timing of when you threw out attacks. It looked like a WiFi match and not an actual fight. He left a lot of openings that you weren't able to exploit because of it; you'd be too busy doing some attack from too far away.

If Kirby turns into a rock, you should be able to punish him for it... that's just an experience thing with the timing. I find Fair works well because the little hop he gets (if the rock lands on the ground) goes above our grab level if you're a bit too far behind. Also if Kirby does something like his Suck on the ground, hop/spinshot over and punish (or fake it out when you know you don't quite have time to get there).

Also, you're too slow. For example, 2:23: Kirby was trying to recover and did a risky up-B way early. You're Sonic the hedgehog, you had time to run to the edge and do an instant-ledgehog which would have resulted in his death. (Do you know how to do that? Practice it... just run to the edge and flick down+right up+left (assuming it's the right ledge).)

Sorry if that sounded harsh or smthg, that's just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Yeah, I understand what you mean. I can physically feel that I have to change my zoning and tactics when I play wifi as opposed to offline - when I was in SMU in Dallas last year, I had a Kirby main to practice with, and it felt like a whole new game because it was simply offline. Now that I'm in rural country, I don't have the privilege of having someone literally right next door to practice with every day. I do plan to go to some upcoming tournies in OK, and maybe some HOBOs and Phases, but as for now, Wifi's practically all I have :( It's a shame really.

I do know how to insta-ledgesnap, and can do it somewhat consistently offline lol somewhat isn't good enough, but online, Murphy's Law always seem to be around the corner (or maybe my fingers are just moving too slow to snap the ledge). So I choose to not risk it.

Nah, it wasn't harsh, it was factual. Hopefully come next semester I'll be nearby some Smashers in Norman or Edmond so I can play. :meh:

Trent

Smash Champion
Two vids of me vs. Jerm back in early April:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlqbm9lfWF4 - Espy (Sonic) vs. Jerm (Toon Link) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc0_MYKS6Ao - Espy (Sonic) vs. Jerm (Toon Link) 2

Third match should hopefully be up soon.

Good **** Espy, here's some notes:

First Round

@0:35 This is just my theory on this part. When you have to read him, and when it comes down to the wire, guess where he's gonna go, I always go for the edge hog.
If he goes for the edge and you go to the left, nothing happens.
If he goes to the left and you go to the left, you get a great punish off.
If he goes to the left and you go for the edge, you can get back on and possibly do a quick punish, or at the worst, nothing happens.
If he goes to the edge and you go to the edge, he dies

Just my thinking process.

@1:21 DI Left, you might have survived that.

@1:26 Nice read.

@1:37-1:45 You're just spinning into his attacks, stop it!

@2:27 No DI or Momentum Canceling, I feel like you just gave up that death here.

@2:56 "**** you, Dair!" Nice.

@3:32 Again with the spinning into the attacks. After this point you were super agro and I could tell you were frustrated.

Second Round

God I love Pictochat.

@0:56 It was pretty obvious you wanted that B-Throw and you bombed,

@2:00-2:15 Don't be afraid to camp against TL, especially on this stage.

@3:57 Ha, Spring Camping..

@4:55 ..He kinda just got hit by those explosions? Good job at being there ready for him.

@5:24 He's not very good at avoiding traps is he?

You did much better this match. I think you just need a refresher in the TL match-up and started to learn it in this round.

Hope that helped at all.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yeah, pretty much went over everything with Jerm after the games, so I got as in depth as you can imagine.

Those times were I just didn't momentum cancel? I either just didn't bother, or I incorrectly buffered. Pick your poison.

Also, as for your guessing game with the ledge on Smashville.
You must not understand Toon Link's agility in the air.

Trent

Smash Champion
Yeah, pretty much went over everything with Jerm after the games, so I got as in depth as you can imagine.

Those times were I just didn't momentum cancel? I either just didn't bother, or I incorrectly buffered. Pick your poison.

Also, as for your guessing game with the ledge on Smashville.
You must not understand Toon Link's agility in the air.
Yeah, I still try to go for the edge at the last second though. If they mess up that's a free kill, risk vs reward or something.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If I had grabbed the edge, and he landed on level, I'd be at a heavy disadvantage.

You NEED to avoid that ledge scenario.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The question is what can't he do?

His pressure game ON the level is unreal. Then he gets you cornered.
Then he has a disjointed, fast retreating, fast moving hitbox to keep you away with.

There's no reason whatsoever for you to ever go near the edge vs. Toon Link, unless he's off of it and asking for an edge guard.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Espy, you never usmash

also, lol pictochat.

bomb-bomb -> spring B-air.
x]

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I actually do.

I just wouldn't dream of usmash'ing a Toon Link.
The stupid Keebler isn't even on the ground half of the time.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Oh.

his SH retreating aerials (and/or SH retreating airdodge) may or may not be U-smash (invincy/regular) counterable.

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
Espy, your second match on picto was pretty lolzy and a good watch! Abuse that ISDR son haha. Also that read on the bombs was too good. I saw him airdodge into the first one and I had a feeling something like that would happen.

Somewhat unrelated... something you do that i'd like to do more of is empty SH to smash on ground. Do you find that that works alot for you?

Edit: So im ******* around with the notion of a combo video, and want to know what you guys think. Its just a trailer that has no real editing to speak of and it ends abruptly so try to look past that. Also i put this out a few weeks ago and there are some combos that I look at now and think, "wtf thats not anything special" so brace for one or two of those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x1YrNOTYrM&feature=email

Hope its not terrible :dizzy:

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
I want some critiques on these two videos from a tournament I went to this last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvm72RwkwDQ Arikie (Sonic) vs. JMac (Fox) 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNcUXQv8NfQ Arikie (Sonic) vs. JMac (Falco) 2

I won the set, but the other round wasn't uploaded because it wasn't sonic.

also did anyone happen to look at my videos on page 159? I was asking for critiques but their old now...

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
I watched the second match (will watch the other one tomorrow) but I noticed a lot of things. It kind of helped me realize some of the things I've been doing wrong too, so thanks i guess lol.

First off there seems to be this thing that all "getting there" sonic mains do (myself included): There is this certain space about 1/3 to 1/2 of the stage away from the opponant where most sonics think "hey ya know what im gonna do..... spin baby..... he will never see it coming". But they do see it coming.

Every. single. time.

Basically that means mixing up approaches and getting creative. He really started to punish your spin game about half way in. He shielded almost every one and started to do the whole full hop bair thing that everyone does to sonics who abuse the rolls. Also idk if anyone talks about this anymore, and I dont even know what the current state of these are, but I REALLY like the spin>footstool>spin combo on ppl who are dumb and roll up. So maybe look into that. Also, you missed a few earlier kill options by neglecting the spindash>roll just a bit past them> then jump to bair. Really solid kill option if bair is fresh. If you dont know what I mean, look up like any Shugo, Espy, or X vid and you are sure to see one. Shugo really loved that combo.

Good phantasm read for the gimp. You really like those springs in this MU.... I guess its not the worst option though there are other avenues.

Other BIG THING. work on DI . espcially at your second death. No Dairs, you probably could have lived through that.

Pretty good overall. Watch that "spin zone" I talked about. And just think about not spinning up from so far away. explore other approach options.

Hope this helped :)

0mega 75

Smash Cadet

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I feel like that video proves that sonic beats dk.

also, you dont gimp DK with spring, you beat his up b (after the invincibility wears off) with fair and bair.

Or you can use my super secret method for gimping DK that has about 80% effectiveness and kills at 120-130
Too bad Im not giving that kind of info out lol.

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
Dk is just one of those guys you have to play a few times to get. After you catch his drift you can start doing work. MU is basically stay in the air, play smart, dont get cornered, and stay in the air.......

well played though. You did better than me the first time I played ook.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
At least there's a vidjo of it now, but yeah I'm pretty sure a lot of us have already at least heard of it.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Yeah, CiTH found that out around a year ago iirc. However the video is still nice though.

Man, that texture hack on battlefield is amazing,

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Hm... I do remember seeing it being discussed somewhere, but saw no vids at all.

Oh well... there's one now =P

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hm... I do remember seeing it being discussed somewhere, but saw no vids at all.

Oh well... there's one now =P
:D welcome back!

I glanced at the vid for a bit.

Instead of tapping down, you can also do a B-reversal:

[Back]+[ B]-quickly- [Forward]

Less chance of accidentally fastfalling ;p

Top Bottom