• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

ShadoFiend

Smash Lord
btw cam and shado i've played gimr's ness on several occasions, we always do when he comes over and i have fun so maybe he thought he was good enough with that specific matchup to win.
Yea i played his Ness in tourney. He kinda sat there.(alot of people do that out here in MD/VA now. Just sit and wait) And just. Jumped for no reason. And tried to dair jablock me everytime. I just gave up chasing and chilled. lol. When he had to approach it was game over.

I was over HAT's place for a smashfest and Atomsk said Kai was the best Sonic because he timed people out. I laughed at first. Then shook my head and said. "Am i playing this character wrong?"

He said Speed and me don't play gay enough. Which is most likely true. I like to fight. Not run away a whole match. But *shrug* run to fight another day..or another round in winners brackets.

Page 1 of Shado's Diary - Turning Gay 101 *brawl edition-

ShadoFiend

Smash Lord
Shut the **** up TROWLLL TROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWL.

Even though you gave me that back rub at Genesis doesnt mean I'm gay for you my dude. Stop harassing me! NO MEANS NO!

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
sometimes just ignore your kill moves and just pressure them speed. or work on your offstage game so that you dont have to rely on a f smash trick all the time. stop fishing for kill moves sometimes and just settle for dealing damage or getting them off stage and pressure them there, an important part of sonic's game, as well as several other characters ( marth, metaknight, jiggs, etc) if you are going to say that sonic has a decent edge game but dont fully utilize it you put more pressure on sonic's subpar killing ability on stage, and will take more unessessary damage as a result.
yeah...im kinda scared to sometimes go off of the cliff, but i've been working on baiting airdodges and getting them caught up in aerials. I started to not fish for kill moves and focus on just racking for a kill.

Also, lol time outs. I should work on that, but its so freakin hard. Besides, why time people out if you can win( that's a BIG if)? At pound 4, i'll show everyone who the best Sonic is. (hint hint. im not talking about myself :dizzy: mindgames)
whoa wait a minute. I thought someone was retiring? I knew you wouldnt. >.>

as for the matches...im not too good at critiquing, but i'll try.

Kinzer #1
It seems that you did pretty well first match holding out. Just be careful to not take too much damage early on. Even though you did, you held out, which was good. Be careful on the dairs, though, o=

Ouch...you went for bairs alot. Not that its a bad thing at all, its just that they werent connecting that much. also, be careful on the spindash usage. At the end, thats what ultimately killed you. Maybe it was reflexes. o_o yes ASC is very good Kinzer, but if used too much, they will catch on without some kind of mix-up and punish. Maybe use fair to compensate for ASC? o=

Overall just watch your moves and how your opponents react. Once you spindashed at the end it was game over. :( You'll get em next time.

Kojin
It seems that you are getting more active offstage. Just be careful for counterattacks. o=
Another thing, kinzer is right. PT is giving you a bit of trouble. Char's Rock Smash is **** vs Sonic. :(

ShadoFiend

Smash Lord
This was awhile ago Speed. I haven't touched brawl since my last tourney.

Kojin i notice you run around your opponent alot. You look like you're about to do something but you just stop and either stand there or hide in your sheild and get grabbed.

Also that Halberd match brings me back to what Atomsk said. I know its just a friendly and all so dont take this all seriously. But why approach when you had such a solid lead? His ivysuar was just waiting for you to run into his moves.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I was playing pretty freely in those freindlies. And I was testing stuff out, like nair usage, and using my run but not doing anything, etc... I don't play to time out in friendlies, especially against my closest freinds. however, that said you know when pound comes, I'll show what I can do.

seriously, when you see Kojin running around the opponent twice doing nothing, know that he is just fooling around with more ****. it did work at mythic though LOL

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Updated the video threads. Be sure to review, rate, and discuss.

I'll be cleaning up this thread hopefully during the holidays, which start for me after this week.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
Here's me vs. me1ee (a white falco player. Lol there are white falcos?). The last vids I posted before this were hella scrubby :l I didn't get amazing since then or anything but i got much better than I was before. I'm going to post the ones when I wasn't sandbagging lol. This guy's Falco really isn't anything amazing, but it shows how I'm doing recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfZJt_gurss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN7VhX-TPHc

infomon

Smash Scientist
Oreo, my good man. I watched your second vid.

1. stop roll-dodging.... ever!

2. stop approaching with spindash

3. stop approaching at all! wth man, you're fighting a D3, you DO NOT APPROACH. He wants you to come close cuz he'll grab you and chain you across the stage. He can't outcamp you with waddle-doodles, he has enough lag to punish him for throwing them, or PS them if you're in a bad spot. Make D3 come to you, so that he has no room to chaingrab you, and you have the tools to annoy the crap out of D3.

just IMO

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I was over HAT's place for a smashfest and Atomsk said Kai was the best Sonic because he timed people out. I laughed at first. Then shook my head and said. "Am i playing this character wrong?"

I timed out a ROB in a money match at my tourney over the weekend, technically I did it twice. Does that make me good now?

The first time he was pressured cus he was down like 40% and ran into a kill move with like 15 secs. left, and the second time i had a 15 % lead with 30 seconds left and ALL he had been doing was camping the ledge the entire time, so I just got so frustrated, I just did enough pressuring to keep him feeling that he could only be safe on the ledge until it got down to five seconds, at which point i double jump springd and pulled my self, as far over to the side stage boundaries as I could, with out expoding, and just fell for the last couple seconds.

cool thing to note, rob is so slow aerially, that while hes camping the ledge, you can quite honestly run to the other side of the stage to avoid all of his ledge attacking options, (aside from a 4% easy to see laser) and still run back to rob before he feels safe enough to get back on stage. its hard to describe but its really cool thing to do, that helps in the process of timing rob out.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
KID, glad your tourney went well man. If you have the vids for your ROB match, could you upload em, i realllly need help with ROBs. And if you can outcamp and time out a ROB, you must be doing something that works.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
like, its not even out camping....

Its just not running into stupid ish while hes camping the ledge.

if rob is holding on to the edge, hes going to
ledge hop (dropping off the ledge and immediately double jumping) fair
ledgejump (hitting the jump button while hanging on the ledge)
drop off then double jump nair back to the edge.
drop off and double jump nair onto the stage.
ledge hop laser
ledge hop gyro
drop down really far and up b up air to the ledge.

now that SEEMS Like he has a lot of options, but all it is is the same thing, fall off the ledge when invincibility wears off, throw out a hitbox, at the person on the stage, and grab the ledge again for more invincibility. all of these options are beaten by shield. everyonce in a while you can time your shield to powershield the attack and tack on some damage before he gets to the ledge. other than that, its just forcing him to stay on the ledge and shield all of his attacks so you dont take any extra damage. the ROB I played against didnt know how to do anything else, so he camped the hell out of me even when he was down in %.so instead of trying to hit him all I had to do was keep him from hitting me, which is the vastly easier of the two. eventually time got low, and I won.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
at the oreo video,

i think the excessive spindash was great and thepoint where you just bounced on the spring for like 5 seconds was maddd smart, i think im going to start fighting D3s like that.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.

I timed out a ROB in a money match at my tourney over the weekend, technically I did it twice. Does that make me good now?

Also, I ***** a R.O.B. by timing him out.
You been good.
Honestly, i dont know how to play this character. :dizzy:
I've gotten mixed reviews. "Dont be so aggro" "oh, you can go aggro here" "stop running into stuff". And when i try this "stall/wait out" thing, i just end up getting hurt more. @_@ man...so many ways to play Sonic.

Umby

Smash Master
You been good.
Honestly, i dont know how to play this character. :dizzy:
I've gotten mixed reviews. "Dont be so aggro" "oh, you can go aggro here" "stop running into stuff". And when i try this "stall/wait out" thing, i just end up getting hurt more. @_@ man...so many ways to play Sonic.
Haven't I expressed this before to you? There's no one way to play Sonic. People have different styles from each other, but a cool thing you can do at times is mix and match play styles. Also don't forget that your way of playing the match can be character specific.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I was playing my friends wario at my tournament.

i got to the point where there was only like 40 seconds left, we were both on our last stock over 140%. I was so desperate, I started doing kojin stuff, and foxtroting and dash dancing and pivoting as much as possible for like 5 seconds, and than i ran up and RARd a bair on him for the kill.

moral of the story? Do what it takes to get the hits in. it doesnt matter how stupid or lame it is, if it works.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Man, that was amazing. I loved that intro and those footstool gimps were pretty comical. xD

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I was playing my friends wario at my tournament.

i got to the point where there was only like 40 seconds left, we were both on our last stock over 140%. I was so desperate, I started doing kojin stuff, and foxtroting and dash dancing and pivoting as much as possible for like 5 seconds, and than i ran up and RARd a bair on him for the kill.

Quoted for sheer brilliance. You guys should all follow the example of Kid, who follows the example of ME. :sonic:

+50 Steak points for you my friend.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
brilliant. that was brilliant. just when you though sonics couldn't do more stuff, we see we still have more to utilize. Sonic's recovery is endless. I'm already analyzing the video and adding it to my game. a must watch. I'll admit that when i saw it I was like, " what the... he' doing the same stuff I was gonna do now..." then some was like, wow, i never thought of that.
+100 steak points.

we need to get these mexican sonics up here. too goodz.

infomon

Smash Scientist
like, there I was lol'ing in some thread about "spring > dair > footstool (to KO as well as recover), lol noone will ever do that it'll never work"

and this guy uses it twice within like 1minute of his video which includes a billion other crazy trixxies without even blinking

I'd never seen a double-footstool actually used ever (I mean footstool > footstool > recover)

and his tech'ing skillz are the best I've seen from someone not called Ally

Edit: also note how ready he is with the jab-locks as well as ways to follow them up

and the glide-tossing crazy tricks and his ability to dodge/use Snake's nonsense

and his spacing; on Bairs and Uairs, which is part of how he gets away with his spring tricks madness

and his meatriding, oh wai--

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think it's all possible with a mixture of reading and knowing his potential...

What we need to do, in friendlies or tourney matches, is not be afraid to try new things. It's how we learn and do things we thought impossible.

MaverickZ

Smash Cadet
I saw this video on the Combo videos boards and I was wondering when it would be posted here. I loved the jab locks, crazy footstools, offstage combos... well this combo video is just too good:laugh:
I was trying to add jab locks on my gameplay recently so I'm going to try some of the stuff on this video:)

4nace

Smash Ace
Yea, I watched this video... Honestly, it kind of makes me want to stop playing Brawl. I know I will never be as good as that at reading, teching and spacing haha.

This Sonic is incredible and executes everything perfectly that I wish I could execute. So why bother playing when I can just watch him do it?

Also, from what I have seen no other Sonic on these boards is even close to this guy other than maybe Espy. I know this is just a combo vid, but still, even if this was against computers it would still be impressive.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Yea, I watched this video... Honestly, it kind of makes me want to stop playing Brawl. I know I will never be as good as that at reading, teching and spacing haha.

This Sonic is incredible and executes everything perfectly that I wish I could execute. So why bother playing when I can just watch him do it?

Also, from what I have seen no other Sonic on these boards is even close to this guy other than maybe Espy. I know this is just a combo vid, but still, even if this was against computers it would still be impressive.
Don't sweat it. Keep going. And don't be afraid to try new things. That's how you get better and discover the impossible.

I'm still going to become the best Sonic user in the world. Nothing's gonna stop me. Don't let someone who could be better then you, stop you. Don't stop fighting.

4nace

Smash Ace
@Kuraudo

I'm partly joking but still... I realize that I will never have the time to put into this game or the resources to play good people regularly enough to be THAT good haha.

But I do love playing Sonic against my opponents and I can learn alot from this Sonic's off-game stuff, but most of his ground game is what I do try to do every game, and of course mess up =P

His fingers are ridiculous.

But yeah, if you have the time and energy to devote to Brawl man, then in a year we'll be like, "remember when we thought that the Art of Speed was impressive, Kuraudo can do that stuff with his eyes closed" haha...

Nonetheless, that kill on the Lucas by Up-airing his UP B could be the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
8:23 to 8:30, the mindgaming throws on Marth was one of my favorites. All we can do is try though, right?

Just don't give up, if you really do believe in getting better.

Top Bottom