• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Its so fun watching other ppl who dont main sonic give it a go. Dazwa was fun to watch. Im just gonna give all props to memphis since he had the first comment on YT and say that Dazwa is memphis's apprentice similar to the situation with shado and i.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Interesting stuff

I took 3rd in a small tourney sunday. About 13 ppl? Likley less.

It was round Robin. So i lost my first set to a Snake player (both off shield poked UTilt....) so i was 2nd in my pool.

But i played for third with a peach. That guy pretty much wrecked my ****..... he Pshielded everything (I kid you not, 4 times he Pshielded my jab combo, every hit, punishing after.)

Curiously... I found the matchup quite tough, compared to Snake. I won by offstage agression, but onstage... he effectivley had a lockdown. Thank Sakurai for sideB invulnerability frames. xD Does anyone else find it difficult? I never checked her matchup ratio, but seem to remember that the general discussion was the she is a pain.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'll be updating this thread later today.

Also have some stuff from a small 14-man round robin I had participated in last Wednesday, so I'll throw that crap up too, I suppose.

I really wish I was recorded at SWAT. I felt like I was doing very, very good.

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
Sonic and the Invisible Platforms

This video concerns an interesting event that Phoenix Dark suffered as a result of his ASC landing on a vanishing platform on Rainbow Cruise.

. . .

Sonic is too good. Look out for him on June 5.

(The real conclusion is that RC platforms can still be used for a second or so after vanishing)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
****. Malcolm had that last match after you missed that Waft.

Very fun set though, lots of silly things happening, and plenty of missed KO opportunities from both sides.

I was trying to look for a word to describe the set while watching it, and I think I found it.
The set was cute.

-----

I'm updating the archive at the moment, I'll edit in once I'm done.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, it was more of a silly set because PhantomX was going to move on no matter what. Malcolm was leaving immediatley after the set so even if he did win, he was letting Phantom go to the next round.

:093:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yeah, I'm aware of that. :p

Anyways, the archive has been updated. Also added a video of myself getting ***** by a lolMarth.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Dang, that was a nice set.
I'm upset Malcolm lost at the end, lol.
I thought that D-smash had it.
And Idk, but did Malcolm accidentally usmash when he was trying to uair sometimes?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
We were both a little less safe than optimal, but I certainly didn't want to lose XD

And yeah, watching the third round had me at the edge of my seat b/c I didn't remember almost dying so many times XD

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well Espy, I'll admit I looked but getting "*****" wasn't the right way to say it.

As always, good @#$% man, always managing to inspire your little ******** bro to follow in his bigger bros. footsteps. :)

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
No... its an uncanny amount of Sonic ****.

Marth really need only juggle sonic... airddge an attack, eat the next....:/

Fight grounded, DB and DTilt wreck our shiz... not to mention Fair shenanigans..

Marth lost ti mistakes offstage, and NOT enough DB/NO onstage DS punishing at all.... :/

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I still enjoy watching Sonic's win, no matter how unrealistic it would've been.

Besides that, Espy beat Roy_R sometime prior right? I think he's got this kind of stuff down.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Iirc, Roy_R was sick, not to diminish the achievements of Espy.
And Phantom_X, lol, I was on the edge of my seat too. I was like, DAAAAAAAAAANNNG HE JUST WON'T DIE!

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Oh no, it was played WELL, but, imo. MArth is Sonic's worst matchup...

And the first thing i ever "conversated" w/ Espy way back last Oct was about how its good to see a Sonic in GF, but that my Sonic was slow....

To which i replied something like "You don't play a good AND matchup experienced Marth... you HAVE to play more safe thdn usual, he'll wreck yo shiz sumthin fierce..." He agreed

And this vid looks earilly familiar to mine, xD

Ah, almost a year later vindication

I still <33333 you Puff :)

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0TMjkrnZGo&fmt=18 - JMan (Sonic) vs. Devin (Marth) 1 II
God... so slow, xD. But pressure offstage to SideB suicide, he dictated much lf the match.

We frown on Mk here, he's soft-banned, but i'd rather play a Mk than good Martha

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Marth? He's hard, but DEFINITLEY not Sonic's worse matchup.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Marth? He's hard, but DEFINITLEY not Sonic's worse matchup.

I have to disagree...

A good Martha can and will zone you out... it really helps to Pshield, but still...

DB wrecks SD or roll.... and since Sonic's best up close option is usually grab, he gets busted...

Then chased, which Martha has the advantage....

We only win out on our offstaage

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Dancing blade isn't that bad, since usually it can be DIed and punished. You'll have to be quick somewhat yes, but still, it's not hard to accomplish.

Marth is unsafe on some/most of his hits, the tricks is to know how to avoid/bait those attacks.

Marth is going to have one Hell of a time spacing against you, considering you play the fastest thing alive, with (some) moblity/unpredictqablity to boot.

I need to fight more Marths or Dannykat (or just top tiers/play more Barlw all together), he seems to have a lot of knowledge playing as most of the top tiers, and he would be very good practice.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I have to disagree...

A good Martha can and will zone you out... it really helps to Pshield, but still...
Any character has the ability to zone you out, Marth just excels there because of his tippers. But guess what, Marth doesn't have a projectile. He can't force you to approach, so just run around the whole time. The only thing Marth can really do is SH Fair. I like to DDP outside of their range for a while, and when the Fair comes, PS that ****, and OoS Fair. Sonic's forget that they can do more than just grab OoS. Sonic's Fair will come out before Marth's second Fair.

DB wrecks SD or roll.... and since Sonic's best up close option is usually grab, he gets busted...
You shouldn't be spindashing into DB. DB is used at close range, so you should just be shielding those and grabbing him afterword. Also, you shouldn't be rolling against Marth.

Then chased, which Martha has the advantage....
How? I'm a bit confused by this. How can Marth chase you if you're faster? I guess you could say how he can wreck with walls of Fairs and Dtilt, but remember, Sonic can PS the first Fair, and Fair OoS. There goes that problem.

We only win out on our offstage
IMHO, a good Link is harder to gimp than a good Marth. What's Marth going to do? If he's above the stage, he can do the neutral B to fly over, but that leaves him totally vulnerable to Bair or any other attack cause it has no hitbox. Then Marths always recover at that low angle for the UpB. If you predict WHEN they're going to UpB (which is really easy because his UpB only has so much height) you drop a spring and he literally flys into it and dies. Even if you don't spring, you can ledgehog. His UpB has ONE hit, if you grab the ledge in time, he'll just linger at the edge for a bit, and fall. It's just a matter of timing. At least Link can throw **** and has multiple hits to his UpB, lol

Dancing blade isn't that bad, since usually it can be DIed and punished. You'll have to be quick somewhat yes, but still, it's not hard to accomplish.

Marth is unsafe on some/most of his hits, the tricks is to know how to avoid/bait those attacks.

Marth is going to have one Hell of a time spacing against you, considering you play the fastest thing alive, with (some) moblity/unpredictablity to boot.
This is all very true.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Spot Dodge*

When hit, one is usually hit up (by DB, its smart to hit you up-) where marth CAN fair after you and legit chase you well.

Again, its just my opinion, but NO other brawl character gives me as much trouble as Marth, and good marths rarley make mistakes in a Soni matchup

If there Fair retreating and say you Pshield and grab or fair to punish...Dolphin slash....

Reset*

He has tools to lock you down. ASC too much in his face, eat a tipper. Spot dodge and be read, eat a DB...

He isn't unbeatable, he has a gimpable recovery and is light, but he does control what you do quite a bit. You can argue what you want for a counterpoint, but when he lands hits, he harasses and punishes really well. And if you mess up, ur in a tight spot.

Watch Espy's vid. Vindication. Great Sonic play... but Martha's tools work excedingly well for beating ours in range, speed, and priority. He's pretty win in our Matchup.... jus sayin'

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Oh, I'm not disagreeing at all that Marth ISN'T a HARD matchup, but I'd much rather play a Marth than say an Olimar or a TLink. It's just my opinion that I don't think Marth is Sonic's HARDEST matchup. It's like any Sonic matchup. Not in his favor, but has the tools to win.

Let's just agree that Martha is gay XD

Sorry Espy for sorta turning this into a matchup discussion.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Agreed and seconded entirley, xD

I just dont have problem with the other two at all personally... range is worse and seemingly much more punishable

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
They really don't have enough time to try and Dolphin slash you, especially since you got nothing to force them to do it that couldn't already hit them before they tried it.

The thing is used to just break out of Combos... Sonic has strings.... It's also very unsafe to use if they miss because unlike us, we can at least defend ourselves somewhat... Marth on the other hand has nothing but moving to either side and fastfalling (or not), even then it doesn't help. As I've said before Marth has some lag between some of his attacks, if you're doing ASC approaches to the point he's punishing you for it then maybe it's time to switch it up, preferably with a running approach (least then you can shield, and as Camal said you have many other things to do.

It's not as bad as it seems, but it certainly isn't an easy MU either (since when was Sonic easy anyway?). I won't say anymore than this because I suppose it just takes timing to get used to, you should (I hope) find soon enough Martha is just a linear, downgraded version of MK... who happens to somehow do better against you than MK arguably can...

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I win the majority of my Martha matches actually.

DS as a GTFO move can be used well. My point is, in High level play, Marth can just as easily **** us, but his tools and general play force us to play a slower, more methodic punish game.
And fact: Were quite punishable too. Example:
BF, both on the center, actual stage. Close, just out of jab distance. You can DTilt, if shielded, you'd get grabbed. Ftilt you get shielded, DB (and if you DI it, they won't finish/ might. Thats a good chance for them to punish our punish with DS), grab, SDodge to DB/ Grab to Fair.

On paper, he just owns us. Im not saying he's unbeatable. My local Marth switched to D3, who is easy save the **** CG. But its the fact that Martha removes so much of what we generally do to the rest of the cast that makes him tough.

Heck, the matchup thread gas Marth and G&W as the worst on paper. He is quite good at countering the playstyles Sonics generally use to win (except gimping, xD). Mk is tough, but Sonic can win vs Nado, UpB> Shuttle loop, and Fair beats glide attack/ drill rush. Our tools counteract Mk's to a good degree. Marths counteract ours, giving him good leverage to dicate our actions.... meaning a better chance to apply aformentioned tools. M' rite?

Browny

Smash Hater
Finally got some new, GOOD offline matches

DJBrowny (Sonic) vs. Ant (MK/DK/Wolf) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_WRyKS-D6w

probably some of the best ive ever played as Sonic :)

Feel free to critique me or whatever (please do lol) as its not very often I can get my Sonic videos up. btw my brother doesnt really main MK (hence the lack of camping and upb oos) but we still play as him a decent amount so obviously its not entirely how an MK should play haha. the matches we didnt record had him using dtilt A LOT more, so i changed my style up and used a lot more aerials approaches, hence the lack of dtilt there.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Just a friendly set I had at my last tournament :p
I could've won the set, but we were being rushed off the TV for tournament matches and stuff so I kinda rushed the last matches. First match is too legit.

Camalange (Sonic) vs. Allied (Kirby) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gid0FZYxwZ0&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpiO9H3AmYk&feature=channel
^lulzy final stock on my part XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_KaEdRJm4A&feature=channel
^Usmash failure

He has a really nice Kirby. Never played someone who could grab as much as myself >_>

Also, jab > Fsmash is quite possibly one of the lulziest ways to kill with Sonic. Almost as good as charging Dsmash.

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
Oh man, Allied has his Wii modded for Japanese sounds. He's a pretty cool guy !!

Now all he needs to figure out is how to sync his sound on YouTube videos. (Edit: I guess it isn't bad on #2 and 3, but 1 was NO GOOD for a while)

. . .

Good stuff as usual, Cam. You really do have an ASC-heavy style, don't you? It seems to be your approach a good portion of the time. Just an observation.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Lol nice videos, its cool to see how u use the spin dash lots of times :3
Thank yeas.

Oh man, Allied has his Wii modded for Japanese sounds. He's a pretty cool guy !! Now all he needs to figure out is how to sync his sound on YouTube videos. (Edit: I guess it isn't bad on #2 and 3, but 1 was NO GOOD for a while)
lol, it actually isn't hacked that way. It's a legit Japanese copy of Brawl.

Yeah...that was kinda rough >_> I just muted them all and listened to some Daly's Gone Wrong, lmao

Good stuff as usual, Cam. You really do have an ASC-heavy style, don't you? It seems to be your approach a good portion of the time. Just an observation.
ASC is a habit from playing against ROB's so often :/ ASC is a beastly move, so I spam it as much as possible. I tone it down though when my opponents are smart enough to aerial OoS consistently once I jump out. ASC is more of a punisher though. For whatever reason, whenever Sonic's charging a spindash, people are like "ZOMG THAT MIGHT MAYBE HIT ME" and spotdodge and do all other kinds of weird **** to avoid it, lol. Even top players, so I figure I'd abuse that reaction, so it kinda ends up BECOMING an approach XD

Top Bottom