• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I hope Espy has this amazing doubles friendly we had saved on his Wii :X

0-death team combos that don't involve grab releasing are too good.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ugh McDonald's.

Screw that, it's Burger King or Sonic, nothing else.

Sonic has some da** fine Chili Dogs... ironic.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I hope Espy has this amazing doubles friendly we had saved on his Wii :X

0-death team combos that don't involve grab releasing are too good.
Phantom, I told you it was on Hylian's Wii.

-----

And I'm right. It's not on my Wii at all.

I'll be updating this thread with videos from my tournament last Saturday. Videos include:

Espy vs. Sethlon 1
Espy vs. Sethlon 2
Espy vs. Sethlon 4
-All Winner's Finals

Espy vs. Infinity 2
Espy vs. Infinity 3
Espy vs. Infinity 4
-All Grand Finals First Set

Espy vs. Infinity 1-4 in last set of Grand Finals.

Whatever wasn't recorded was because I accidently forgot to hit the save replay button on the results screen >_<
As said, they should be up by tonight, or tomorrow night. It'll take awhile to capture and convert them all for youtube...

infomon

Smash Scientist
omg INFRACTION YOU HAVE TO COME TO MASS MADNESS! and i dunno if any other TS members are coming...ill IM then.
I'm gonna srsly try to get to this, but it's looking grim since I'll prolly be between houses and stuff. But I'll try! If I don't make it to MM, then my chances of going to Apex are much more likely. I'm still sad I'm missing OiN-pi :(

Espy: I'm looking forward to those vids! And I only just now noticed that the OP is all fixed and stuff. Yay!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
First things first:

I apologize for my connections on the internet to upload videos. For some reason, loading anything else is fine, but when it comes to uploading youtube videos, my connection at college is horrendous. It took an entire day and a half to upload all of my videos, except one, which I had to cancel because I had to take said computer to class.

So anywhos, the archive is updated with the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6D5BOeq8s&fmt=18 - Anther (Sonic) vs. Hateoni (Wario) New!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5kh6Zz_ZhA&fmt=18 - Espy (Sonic) vs. Sethlon (Sheik) 1 New!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgYjA2cu_JM&fmt=18 - Espy (Sonic) vs. Sethlon (Sheik) 2 New!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51sgi2TwITY&fmt=18 - Espy (Sonic) vs. Sethlon (Sheik) 4 New!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4eeixbbjn4&fmt=18 - Espy (Sonic) vs. Infinity (Meta Knight) 2 New!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_7hVEiPlpE&fmt=18 - Espy (Sonic) vs. Infinity (Meta Knight) 3 New!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C65-OBUKcpY&fmt=18 - Espy (Sonic) vs. Infinity (Meta Knight) 4 New!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWxcRWDybt4&fmt=18 - Espy (Sonic) vs. Infinity (Meta Knight) 5 New!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlB2EETfjcY&fmt=18 - Espy (Sonic) vs. Infinity (Meta Knight) 6 New!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhBPBHSC-bM&fmt=18 - Espy (Sonic) vs. Infinity (Meta Knight) 7 New!!!

---

My third video with Infinity isn't fully processed for some reason, so give that one time.

The last video of me vs. Infinity should hopefully be up sometime tonight or tomorrow morning, depending on my slow-arsed connection.

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
@ FightAdamantEevee: I'm glad you deceided to work on Sonic, he's a fun character, and not a bad one once you understand him. If you'd like techinacal based critique, just let me know in my thread or here i guess.

this goes for anyone who has a problem with a matchup or wants to be crituqed on specific matches, not just their overall style. I can do it, though you need to give me more time if you want a "how do i beat character/player X" kind of thing, especially if you are just learning sonic, okay?

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
@ FightAdamantEevee: I'm glad you deceided to work on Sonic, he's a fun character, and not a bad one once you understand him. If you'd like techinacal based critique, just let me know in my thread or here i guess.

this goes for anyone who has a problem with a matchup or wants to be crituqed on specific matches, not just their overall style. I can do it, though you need to give me more time if you want a "how do i beat character/player X" kind of thing, especially if you are just learning sonic, okay?
Okay, thanks. The only characters that's given me trouble was Lucario and Olimar.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Anther has improved his Sonic A LOT! I gotta give props for going at it with one of Sonic's harder if not one of his most hardest matchups too.

And not a single SDR SD either! I'm just happy he got that taken care of too! XD

Althoguh it made me sadface that he got killed for SDR back onto the stage by the FSmash :(

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Kojin, think you have any comments on my videos?

Even if it's stuff I've probably heard during the Xat chat. I need every little bit of help I can get if I want to improve.

I feel that I just need one last push to be able to stand up to people like Infinity and pick them off during the brackets.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Dang, All i see are Vids of amazing things happening. Espy going super sonic. Anther steppin it up (Red) Sonic and making Steak happen, i could cry. Anther verily did improve, he incorporates the spin cancel mindgames now! ASC cancel, SDC, i just loved that incredible display.

Espy, whoo! feeling good! (did you get that from unleashed?) You just keep on improving everytime I see you play, man. Good work on going against Seth's Sheik, tose setups are too good. But Infinity...dang, what the heck has he been doing? Well, you still got a fully charged Sonic pawnch on him, and thats good.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Espy, when I watched those vids, I started thinking "oh no Espy, I know what you're going to do, and it's a trap he's going to win! gaaaaah!"

Then you started to catch on and drift away from him now and then, rather than always pressing forward in ways that were predetermined.

I'm going to have to rewatch them and do a write-up more carefully

Your sonic is srsly beast tho; but I don't think you were quite playing your best here. idk what was discussed in xat tho.

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
Nice job Espy, you rocked those matches. No worries against Infinity, you know you can beat him, and you will next time.

Okay, thanks. The only characters that's given me trouble was Lucario and Olimar.
If you can, I wanna see a vid of you vs. an Olimar. =o

I know this isn't a match up thread, but against Oli, remember bair is your friend. At least it works for me.
If he's spamming pikman toss... keep an eye on the pikman. If he has already thrown his purple pikman at you, run in for a shield grab and maybe dash attack.
If his next pikman is blue, bait his grabs so that he wastes them. Then approach...
Also, watch out for upsmash.

That's all the help I can really give. I haven't bested this match up yet, but I'm getting better now. =D

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
Nice job Espy, you rocked those matches. No worries against Infinity, you know you can beat him, and you will next time.

If you can, I wanna see a vid of you vs. an Olimar. =o

I know this isn't a match up thread, but against Oli, remember bair is your friend. At least it works for me.
If he's spamming pikman toss... keep an eye on the pikman. If he has already thrown his purple pikman at you, run in for a shield grab and maybe dash attack.
If his next pikman is blue, bait his grabs so that he wastes them. Then approach...
Also, watch out for upsmash.

That's all the help I can really give. I haven't bested this match up yet, but I'm getting better now. =D
i'm still getting used to the basics of competitive brawls altogether, but I usually fight Olimars that only grab/pivot grab. Also I usually get shieldgrabbed if i attacked from the air, and idunno what to do lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Spinshot far enough where if they tried to do a grab once you land, you'll instead end up behind him and the worst that could happen is you end up being too slow to react to whatever he does.

It takes a while to turn, yes.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I had the same problem with Lucario if I tried to do any aerial approaches.

Luckily people are way too stupid to take initiative. Instead of knocking Sonic right back out, they let him buzz around like a mosquito, hiding in their shield thinking they will be safe and counterattack Sonic right out of it when in fact you just go past their front and their open again for another assault.

Olimar might be able to DSmash you, so just keep that in mind. Just because you're behind an opponent doesn't mean they can't do something about a backstab.

I think it works well on Lucario just 'cause of the shield pushback on the Bair, he sends him far enough away where he can't do an Utilt OoS on reaction, but yeah with Olimar who has broken range, it should be a concern.

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
I run behind people sometimes, and it usually works. Then when they catch on, I switch to something different. But I have lots of trouble with Lucario, since it's really hard for me to get close to him without being knocked away. I usually like stay away and HA to see what they'd do. There is no way to cancel HA, right?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The way to shorten the lag is to hit the B button again in the middle of the start up.

Sorry for Espy for taking over your thread >_>

Next time take any questions to the official rFAQ please.

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Lookin' forward to it Jman.

And why is Kojin so slow with your analysis? lol

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
No.

You can't shorten the ending lag of the homing attack at all.

Unless you hit a spring and "spring cancel" it.

;o

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Im curious myself, xD

Its sad, my smash here in SC is falling apart, we tossed out the weeklies, :(

And I THINK Kojin said he had a thesis paper/finals or something the following week (which was two weeks ago... xD)

"C'mon (Kojin), step it up" listen close, i swear you'll hear Kojin every time, ;)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
that sucks..and you hit the spring when?
Whenever you get out of the dead-time from HA.

And as for being able to cancel HA landing lag, the only possible way for you to do that is to land close to a ledge or platform, and slide off of it, there's no other way.

I knew about this already, but I think Tenki was the one to mention it.

I hope Espy isn't too mad that some of this discussion isn't on vidjas.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
K, just gettin back

1st in teams, Sonic/Falcoln

3rd in Singles. Lost in Winners to D3, and loser's finals as well to the same d3.

His Marth was my bane b4, but played right, do able. But his intamate matchup experience coupled with the excellent (perfect) cg D3 is ridiculous. Its nearly made me stop smash tbh.

It was recorded both sets, but i pull pure steak to keep pace, and a 110% utilt kills me, and he generally lives to near 200. Cg to offstage camp to regrab on land to repeat is ******** and broken.

When uploaded, take a close look at his spot dodge shield games and cg. Tell me what to do here.... :(

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I'm back guys...

so, yeah, done with finals, and went to BTYF, sorry to hear about what happened Malcolm.
in anycase,.. (reads comments)

okay, WOW. i should go get to doing Jman's style again. But, do you have any new vids, that's gonna help me a lot. honestly i was working on it but then i saw vids where you played different, so instead of finishing it quick i decided to wait a while and see what new stuff you will show.

@ espy: if you want me to comment on certain matches you gotta let me know which ones. i'll be as mean as i can.

A bunch of sonics showed up to BTYF, so i'll have a nice little combo vid to show. look forward to it. BUT, its on replay, and the names didn't get saved, so its gonna be wierd. i'll give credit though...

cya later...

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Yea, matches were recorded from this past saturday. I'll post when their uploaded, but honestly, i'd suggest just picking some matches from my stuff around the boards. I play ppl who main a broad range, one guy practically maining random except sonic (lol). So i do play completly different depending on the matchup. I mindgame like that.

Personally, i go for grabs to pummel dmg/dthrow, and follow ups. Shieldgrab/running shdgrb is my staple. I hate the air unless following up/ spacing Bair. I spin game and dash dance as mindgames....

When uploaded, take a look

Suspect

Smash Hero
i just wanna say that the vids of me(suspect) vs espy in the kirby section (october) are FAR from recent.

kthbai

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Ok, here it is

JMan (Sonic) vs Dev (D3) R1-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miiop3denYA

JMan (Sonic) vs Kuja (Diddy)R1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_QEtST0LEw&feature=channel
JMan (Sonic) vs Kuja (Pikachu) R2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hHei5Lpt1U&feature=channel

JMan (Sonic) vs Crio (Olimar/Falco) R1-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpOg3vlXFxs&feature=channel

Looser's Finals
JMan (Sonic) vs Dev (D3)R1-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ignYjdlQ0&feature=channel
JMan (Sonic) vs Dev (D3) R3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGie1bYMK3o&feature=channel

So... obvliously the cg on D3 is a bane, and if your watching carefully, his spot dodge, perfect shield, landing perfect shield shennanigans seem hax tbh, lol.

And for the sake of being thourough, my doubles partner (ARS, C Falc main, Snake secondary)
Grand Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVukQLg7O1I&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV_WgaoXZKs&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSOfcekKgzA&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVOqo0c1o9U&feature=channel

Comment, hope this helps you Kojin, and im out for the night.
Resistance 2 tomorrow, and i'll check in the afternoon, peace :)

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Malcolm wants to help YOU win against DDD and heres how!!!

1) ITS A TRAP!
If DDD is "edgeguarding" you with his backair do not try to fall infront of him with an airdodge. You will land infront of him to get chaingrabbed ACROSS THE ENTIRE STAGE FOR 35+%. To avoid this just airdodge normally and either land slighty behind him or on the ledge. If for some straaaaaange reason these options arent availible and u arent @ kill %s u can afford to take a 10% bair instead of the CG to reset ur options. Regardless....airdodging past the lagless bair infront of DDD is a horrible idea. If you ARE @ kill %s hes just going to do bair to uptilt and kill u regardless.

2) PLAY THE EDGES!
You know he has a gay chaingrab so why give him the best spots to use it? Play with ur back on the ledge or 1 dthrow away from the ledge. This means instead of an outrageous % u will take 14 or so. So all of this fighting ur doing against this guy's DDD in the middle of the stage is an absolute NO. Now I know it maaaaaaaaay sound impossible to play with ur back facing the ledge the entire match, but its really not all that difficult. U start off on the opposite side of the stage.

DDD can...

a) just wait for u (which doesnt effect u @ all)

b) be ******** and play an insanely aggressive DDD aka approach u (which falls right into your plan of safe near the ledge)

c) throw waddle dees and "camp" u (which thankfully does not work against sonic and will give u a guaranteed opening to attack him)

So with those 3 options considered the whole match basically comes down to how patient you are willing to be and how conscious you are of where u are on the stage.

3) HEY LET ME RUN FULL THROTTLE OR SPINDASH INTO DDD WHILE IM @ 110%+!!!
Why? Why are you doing this? You know he has an uptilt. You know it kills you. Do you often spindash into snake @ 110%? If so, please read the parenthetic text (THAT IS A HORRIBLE IDEA. YOU ARE THROWING YOUR STOCKS AWAY WITH IT. IF YOU REALLY WANNA JUST GIVE WINS AWAY DONT EVEN BOTHER PLAYING OUT THE MATCHES.) So im sure your saying "what approach then Malcolm?" and the answer is quite simple. No approach. You are in kill %s against a character who lacks any sort of guaranteed setup and one who has simply no approach what-so-ever so why would u do him the favor of running into him? Play safe...dashdance do some shield cancelled spin dashes to penetrate his mind and see if you can force him to make a mistake but please please please DO NOT RUN @ THE UPTILT OF DOOM!

4) I CAN USE ALL KILL MOVES, YES?!?!?
No, you can't. Your playing a monstrous beast who loves to grab everything so, no, you cannot go around throwing out the "GO!" punch and downsmashing your way to victory. You have two legitimate ways to kill the beast. Either u edgeguard him or you b-air him. This isn't to say I have never killed a DDD with the other two attacks....because I most certainly have. This is for when you are in those "OMGINEEDAKILLMOVEANDMYOPPONENTKNOWSIT" zones. Because assuredly you can catch DDD out of a fastfall airdodge with a "GO!" punch, but that kill only comes maybe once or twice in an entire set. I am referring to when DDD is @ 160 and his shield is up or hes going spotdodge crazy. HOW OH HOW do u finish this annoying tank off? U play safe. U wear him down. U put him in bad positions over and over again (D-throw off the stage, b-throw off the stage or up-throw) and you force him to make a mistake. BUT WHAT YOU DO NOT DO IS GET ANNOYED AND START MAKING IT SOUND LIKE LAUNCH BASE ALL OVER AGAIN! ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZH1o8N9PXU )

5) READING RAINBOW!!
DDD players are often like books. They have certain moments that they roll 90% of the time. Force these rolls. Punish these rolls (He's not lucario). DDD players also have a love for the spotdodge. WELL OMG HAX WE HAS D-SMASH?!? Thats right, we do. DDD movement wise is very limited so throughout the whole set you should be watching and learning what your opponents preferred types are. Surely, a good player will have mixups but EVERYONE HAS SOME SORT OF PATTERN. And with a character so limited, these patterns are far easier to read. If we were to compare literature, your opponent is sitting down trying to read A Tale of Two Cities and you are trying to discern the words of Oh, All the Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss. SO YOU MUST READ! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDD!
[This last tip basically means if i see that DDD get within "Roll range", roll behind you and CG you across the stage or the advanced technique aka DOUBLE SPOTDODGE into CHAINGRAB one more time I am just not watching the vids anymore]

This helpful guide has been brought to you by, Malcolm

darkNES386

Smash Lord
"OMGINEEDAKILLMOVEANDMYOPPONENTKNOWSIT" zones. Because assuredly you can catch DDD out of a fastfall airdodge with a "GO!" punch, but that kill only comes maybe once or twice in an entire set. I am referring to when DDD is @ 160 and his shield is up or hes going spotdodge crazy. HOW OH HOW do u finish this annoying tank off? U play safe. U wear him down. U put him in bad positions over and over again (D-throw off the stage, b-throw off the stage or up-throw) and you force him to make a mistake. BUT WHAT YOU DO NOT DO IS GET ANNOYED AND START MAKING IT SOUND LIKE LAUNCH BASE ALL OVER AGAIN! ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZH1o8N9PXU )
LoL awesomeness. I think that's the new Sonic noob mistake. It used to be abusing spin moves, now we have to add to the list sitting back on fsmash waiting for your opponent to walk right into it.

Top Bottom