• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The WBR presents: "Can't let you do that Starfox!" - A new Wolf guide

§witch

Smash Lord
The entire point of this guide is to give people just picking up Wolf information about the moveset, not give them some sort of style that none of us have gone pro with. Except for maybe Castorpollux, however his "style" is to be smart and read people correctly.

Meh, the entire concept of the Bair Wall (to me) is full hop Bair and then a mixup. Among an abused mixup is just FF Bair after that. It may be something different to other people, and this is simply a game mechanic, it's like airdodging. I don't want to explain tactics with airdodging involved and every other game mechanic there is, except the ones Wolf users might not know at first - such as the ATs.
Which just reinforces what I've been saying forever, which is that to be good with wolf, you have to be a good player to begin with.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
The entire point of this guide is to give people just picking up Wolf information about the moveset, not give them some sort of style that none of us have gone pro with. Except for maybe Castorpollux, however his "style" is to be smart and read people correctly.
lol

Meh, the entire concept of the Bair Wall (to me) is full hop Bair and then a mixup. Among an abused mixup is just FF Bair after that. It may be something different to other people, and this is simply a game mechanic, it's like airdodging. I don't want to explain tactics with airdodging involved and every other game mechanic there is, except the ones Wolf users might not know at first - such as the ATs.
Basically right, WoW is a series of FH Bairs->FF Bair, DI'ing towards the opponent when rising and DI'ing away from them when falling. Some opponents are fast enough to get around it and therefore needs other attacks mixed in. MK/Diddy/ZSS can run underneath and SH Uair so mixing it up with SHFF Bairs is good. Other characters can Bair after the FH Rising Bair such as DDD/DK to a much lesser extent. Projectile users are an issue, so mixing it up with Jump Shine->Bair is necessary. The opponent can mess up the spacing by walking forward and shield grab the FF Bair, but it is much easier said then done. Some characters get owned by FH/FF Bairs such as DK, while it is less effective against shorter characters (MK). Throw in Turn Around Blaster to throw off opponents when retreating the WoW. The WoW is very versatile and is used as a mixup tactic and not as a overall playstyle since there are ways to counter it (Except against DK, he can't do anything about it, so if you play a DK, spam FH/Bairs->FFBairs).

Basically the second jump is conserved in case you get knocked of the stage, in which it would be used to recover with. If you don't use you second jump except in cases where you get/avoid getting punished, you will find recovering with Wolf is much easier. An example of avoiding getting punished is if your opponent moves forward and shields, you can use your second jump to Jump Shine->Bair, DI away to reset your distance, or DI behind them->AirDodge->AAA/Dsmash. Like the guide says, don't advance the WoW once your spacing is set because you will just be shield grabbed.

Btw, if you want to help Wolf users enter the competitive scene, this stuff should be the sole discussion in the guide since anyone can figure out that Fsmash is meant for only punishing since it is easily punished other wise. Things like how to safely approach, deal damage while conserving KO moves, how to land kill moves (easier said than done), and character specific strategies.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Duh it's the real reason, I created it and named it after myself!! lol Now every single one of you can destroy me in this game though. What a shame.

Vista

Smash Journeyman
Duh it's the real reason, I created it and named it after myself!! lol Now every single one of you can destroy me in this game though. What a shame.
That doesn't mean much, I mean, it's barwl haha

Come up to WA sometime Scar :O

tekkie

Smash Master
"Notes: The Usmash is good for punishing people when they're close enough, and it sets them up to be juggled. It can also stagespike people who are hanging onto the ledge."

seriously? hmmm.

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
^^ I've had it happen before. It's only happened for me on characters with large hands though haha.

TheWolfBackRoom

Smash Rookie
Bump. I mean, made some changes to dair, nothing major. Basically mentioning how to autocancel it and some situations where it can help out.

TheWolfBackRoom

Smash Rookie
People, please update this a bit more often. I made some more minor changes, but this is more of a bump so the guide stays on the first page.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
yeah, I'm trying to figure out how people on swf make their animated siggys look so smooth ><

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Why is a Fox trying these techniques exactly? Just curious. If you have a specific technique question then we can help, but if it's anything then I guess just read and try, you'll get it eventually.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
The reverse Blaster should be called the Blaster Reversal. The momentum-swapping technique for specials is called a B-reversal. Reverse Blaster would be using the turn-around mechanic for specials that was in Smash 64 and Melee.

Also, I find it interesting that Illusion cancel was described as difficult for the short version. I find that one trivial. As long as I keep up my practice, I can do the mid cancel too, but not without.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Can we update with an extra on how powerful charges smashes are? All the way charged? I wanted to know, but thought it even better if it were there for everyone to see under each smash attack.

Emo^Wolf

Smash Journeyman
this guide is too good i have to take time and practice all of thiss. thnks for whoever made this guide man alot of informatinon but i need to know everthingg thanks

Emo^Wolf

Smash Journeyman
i got a quick wuestion though i cant seem to get the edge hod right. i can do it if im standing right next to it and grab the edge. i get that like 4out 5 times but when i have run and grab it like a snake i cant seem to get it. can someone try to help me out? also the against diddy kongs theres a difference betwwen glide toss and that video right?? cuz i can glide toos but it dosnt go even close to the range that wolf got in the video. someone hellp out this wolf! lol

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
I just decided if MK gets banned im going to main wolf sine i have the most with him other then MK. Also Im going to start to MM players in myarea(PA/MD/VA/NY/NJ) with wolf for fun. Good guide and i hope it will lead me to success!

UltiBahamut

Smash Rookie
im a bit sad that you dont have How to Perform from illusion (or flash) canceling to the end but nice guide, defiantly a few things i didnt know about ^^

TheWolfBackRoom

Smash Rookie
Bump for great justice, I encourage you all to thoroughly read through the guide and check to be sure we got everything.

Edit: Wonder how long it'll take for someone to notice...

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Wolf’s pummel is very fast, does 1% per hit when fresh, but only the first one in each grab refreshes your moves.
Actually, each and every single knee will help you refresh your moves if you wait a split second between each input.

I recommend using this tactic in favor of refreshing your moves when the opponent has like 100%+

On lower %'s, though, Rythm-pummel as fast as you can to inflict as much damage as possible.

Top Bottom