• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The way-too-long-for-anybody-to-actually-read Ness Guide!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I just lately decided to implement more tilts in my Ness game.

I'm guessing A-A-A would have the same use as fair in some occasions, simply to get your opponent off your face.

Speaking of A-A-A, does anyone have any bright ideas about that? [/anticipates "no"]

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Well...i just use it to create space, kinda like down tilt (except i dont use dtilt which is a bad habit). Also individual jabs are always a good idea to do now and hten as a reflex as you use them to counter strings of attacks your opponent does. When your opponents at a high percentage i think you can jab to DJC nair, or fair.
*EDIT*
Mistakenly thought you said ftilt instad of fair annoying. My bad

*End Edit*

Also the nice thing about the nuetral A combo is sometimes you can end it with a bat...especially against people who are sorta newbish.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
N. OW! You are SIIIIIIIICK. I love your movement especially. Tell me, do you throw in wavedashes into your dash dances cause it sometimes looks like you do a combination of hte two. Excellent excellent player. Although im surprised you didn't dair edgeguard as much against ganon.

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
Yes, i usually always combine the two. I usually don't stand still if i want to stay in the same place i will just dash forward, wavedash back over and over.
Personally, i don't dair edgeguard much at all. I prefer to just bair everything instead, as it is faster and easier to hit with. Sometimes i will bat but mostly i just spam bair :)

The_NZA

Smash Lord
aaah, i see. I need to practice the dash dance to the wavedash. I usually dash dance and right out of it just dahs attack, JC grab, and sometimes fair.

IF you can, please post more videos of you using ness. Your ness is really refined. Do you main ness or CF?

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
I very much main ness, I just cant play against sheik so i use different chars for shieks usually. All my videos i have of ness are on page 10.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
N.OW, from watching your fox Vid, just a suggestion that you prob already know in corneria...CC the guns, dont try to tech it. CC will almost always save you (it doesn't get you killed 99.999% of the time) and you dont run the risk of missing the tech.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You actually can be using psi magnet and hold down on the control sitck. It gives the same effect as cc'ing and prevents pikachu, pichu, and the ships from bothering you.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I might make a short series of clips (15 secs. or so) about the gay things Ness can do on certain stages.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
It's been two days now so I think I can post. I updated my section again. That is definetely not the final version and I'll make it flow better in my next update (mabye this friday). If I haven't put in some vids that you think I should post/ pm them NOW. I'm open to all vids right now, but I'll cut back to 2/3 per matchup, depending on the matchup/ quality of videos.

KrulNess

Smash Apprentice
i suppose an apology is needed.....i have been gone for quite some time....

and yet, fantastic progress is always made....

tell me sage.....what section do you have part in.....and what is needed....because about a month ago i decided to chip in again and that lasted about a week...

so, whats new....how can more improvement be made??

(by the way *thesage*, i remember when you made your first post....yes, its been that long)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
You could help me with the move descriptions. They aren't very complete.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The first one dummy. You could also write some character matchups. Any matchup I don't care.

Krul: You're in good habits. I really need to stop coming here. I need more practice.

I'm working on the matchups, general info, and the things a Ness noob should learn...

KrulNess

Smash Apprentice
ive basically just been practicing like crazy....for the last couple of months

hense the reason that i havent been here

btw...sorry for stealing your post
and i'm starting on a luigi matchup description

and a good idea would be a section for noobs....

KrulNess

Smash Apprentice
i've been working on a luigi matchup for ya...

i'll try and give it to you by the weekend...i just don't want it to be too long XD

EDIT: Alright, i got the matchup done.

Here's a draft of it:

luigi

Alright, so luigi is a real crazy one for all nesses of the world. First of all, notice the way that luigi walks, attacks, and even taunts. Its extremely fluid, and he has some very quick actions that take a while to get back into to position. It's interesting to pair such a floaty character like ness with luigi, because they are extremely contrasting.

I'll first consentrate on the attacks of luigi. I've noticed that the real ness killer is luigi's fair, the chop. Luigi's arm and hit box shoot out amazingly fast, which is what makes it difficult. The only attack while ness is in the air that can cope with that is nesses nair, but its hitbox is way more condensed then luigi's hitbox. Luigi almost always hits with this attack. Luigis second attack that is weird to get used to is his usmash. It seems simple enough, but it is difficult because luigi has the ability to continue sliding while he is attacking. This makes the timing to counter the attack very difficult. The majority of luigi's other attacks are simple to avoid when you need to. You should never be hit with luigi's dash attack with ness, its amazingly simple to avoid.

With any disadvantages against luigi, there are also some advantages. The easiest one to see is luigi's funky recovery. With pk thunder to pull them down and then the a jump off the edge to a neutral air or even a spike can help. Once he is out far enough, there is almost no way for him to het back. Of course, you can absorb luigi's fireballs when ever you have the chance.

For free for all battles with a luigi involved, not too much focus needs to be on the luigi, but perhaps on finding where he will be at any time. You see, luigi's playing style varies largely on how the luigi is playing, wheather he is offensive or defensive at the time. In a free for all, luigi's style dramaticly increases to just a melee to anyone near him. This can give a simple but large advantage to a ness, who can focus easily on luigi.

EDIT: I'll just stick to this post, so i dont waste any...read it really quick and tell me what i need to change.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'll put it up. Toasty wrote some stuff on the Samus matchup as well.

Matchup descriptions I need:

Sheik
Peach
Marth
Jigglypuff
Fox
Falco
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game and Watch
Link
Mario
Pikachu
Captain Falcon
Doctor Mario
Young Link
Pichu
Zelda
Ganondorf
DK
Kirby
Yoshi
Bowser
Roy

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Not Luigi and Samus. I want other people's opinions and my own. That way it'll be a better guide. I wish more people helped me since this is really important.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I wish more people helped me since move descriptions (could be more) important.

KrulNess

Smash Apprentice
i'll write you one on peach tonight

and maybe fox and falco....

i'm having some friends over to play smash....and normally thats who they main...i might be able to write more

_clinton

Smash Master
Sweet! my 2 very small guides were put into this huge guide made by many people (yes this is the first time I ever looked at this).

Well that makes me happy (I think)... so does anyone want to see a pic. of my Cat? Because she is so sweet!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
LOL your cat kinda looks like my cat. _clinton, if you didn't notice, i kinda added a little note in the PSI Magnet guide. <3 corneria cannons.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
I do!..........
@ OYM, you need to come to jose's this week, and i need to see your advanced pkt jutsu in action, if you have any under your belt that is.
i might be able to go, but after 8pm. they'll be there from 6-11. lemme know, you and i are prolly the only serious nessers in state. my ness is so neglected lately BOOOOO i'm feeling uninspired by not winning with him :urg:

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
BOOOOO i'm feeling uninspired by not winning with him :urg:
That's what get for maining Ness... *feels sudden urge of Ness pride* Come forth Ness mains and show the world the power of Ness!

*gets beaten by noob sheik then four-stocks noob sheik with his own noob shieik* ****nit!

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
@ OYM, you need to come to jose's this week, and i need to see your advanced pkt jutsu in action, if you have any under your belt that is.
i might be able to go, but after 8pm. they'll be there from 6-11. lemme know, you and i are prolly the only serious nessers in state. my ness is so neglected lately BOOOOO i'm feeling uninspired by not winning with him :urg:
We'll see... I've always wanted to go, but it's just never happened =(

indie_dave

Smash Ace
if you rly wanna go, lemme know. finals for this smstr are done next week for me, and i plan on going rglrly over summer and i wouldn't mind giving you a ride over and back. "5 times at jose's and you'll be suuuper good", to quote shoyo, one of the best foxes i've ever seen. ask gimpyfish, he used to play jose a lot ^_^

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Speaking of A-A-A, does anyone have any bright ideas about that? [/anticipates "no"]
Like NZA said, you can AAA-->Bat if 1) they're noobish and/or 2) the spacing is right...strangely, I've been able to pull this off on low-medium damage Marths. Do NOT try this on heavy characters who can recover from stun quickly...actually, in those cases dont even bother with the AAA combo. Ooh Samus, Marth, Fox, Sheik, Peach [and I'm going to guess Falco] at low damages will crouch-cancel into a grab/dtilt/dsmash...so it's best that if you want to try this, do it when they're slightly in the air. One neutral A can stop Sheik's dash attack as well =D

Oh man...on just about everyone else though? I say you master L-cancelling all of Ness's aerials and, as if it were a shine, do the AAA combo every time they block your aerial...it kills block grabbing and can set you up for nasty combos as well...this is godly in Ness dittos.
Follow up an AAA combo with a dash attack because, if they techroll backward, which they almost always do, [and if they don't have a very long roll], the last spark of your dash attack will catch them right as they come up. If for nothing else, use this in Ness dittos.

as for ftilt. Get really good at doing full wavedashes and learn to dash into them too...it'll make Ness beyond fast and it'll make it really hard for people to predict what you'll do [it's like when Luigi slides all over the place and then seemingly out of nowhere he's in your face with a f/u/dsmash or AAA combo of his own]...but yeah, get good at this and the second you get near them, ftilt, upward-ftilt is great too...esp against Falco's fat a$$

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I guess A-A-A could be useful if you happen to be right next to your opponent and want to get them first with an fast attack.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Are the uses for d-tilt and AAA different? The seem the same to me. I can't seem to combo at all with d-tilt despite the low ending lag and quick startup and lack of knockback. I guess it just doesn't have enough stun...

Top Bottom