• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The way-too-long-for-anybody-to-actually-read Ness Guide!

indie_dave

Smash Ace

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
thanks, got those vids.

found some vids by japense Nessby.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
found several with ness played by Captain Jack and Bluchu on youtube as well.
notable youtube mentions include tehsandman03, eMs, theBettaPlaya, emmy, and bubbleman. there's a million mediocre ones, but these guys are pretty good. thanks for noting Rapid Assassin, he's great too! any others?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
yeah, you have too many ivds, Rapid, so i just linke dto your page.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Sorry I was gone for such a long time, my monitor broke down last weekend. I'll probably update next weekend since I'm going to a tournament tomorrow and I have Boy Scouts stuff to do, finishing up my Eagle project and stuffs.

Edit: Fine so I changed my mind and updated today. Now there is a brand new shiny Link section. I also added wall of unfair to the Capt. Falcon section. I think I changed the Sheik section a little. I'm not sure.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
If I didn't know any better, I'd say Simna has stickied this guide.

Annoying, do you still need me to do move descriptions? I heard Simna would help.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Simna can you help me witht the Fox/ Falco matchups in the character specific matchups? I hardly have any (positive) experience from that matchup besides doing pk Thunder backwards to prevent fox eating your thunder. Of all places, why do all the good foxes/ sheiks live in my area!?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
ok, i am OFFICAILLY inviting anybody to give a short (or long ;) ) description of any attack.

OFFICIALLY.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
OOOOOoooooo, my Ness vids are up. They're only half-vids, but you could put those up as "What not to do against a Luigi."

You can use my utilt description. A while ago there was a topic discussing Ness' nair. U probably should mention the infinite using the d-tilt in poke stadium and healing using psi magnet on corneria.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
1st shot only Characters

Mario _ Fireballs (12%)

Dr. Mario _ Megavitamins (16%)

Luigi _ fire ball (12%)

Peach _ toad's spores (4-40%)

Bowser _ Fire Breath (Potential for Unlimited %), one blast (4%)

Zelda _ Din's Fire (14-26%)

Pikachu _ Thunder jolt Ball (20%), Thunder Jolt Trail (14%), Thunder Bolt (20% up to 80%)

Pichu _ Thunder jolt Ball (20%), Thunder Jolt Trail (14%), Thunder Bolt (8% up to 32%)

Mewtwo _ Shadow Ball shot(6%-50%), forward throw shots (0-1%)

Fox _ Blaster (6%), up throw, back throw, Down throw lasers (3% each)

Falco _ Blaster (6%), up throw, back throw, Down throw lasers (3% each)

Ice Climbers _ Ice hammer shot (10%), Blizzard (up to 32%) (2-3%) (only one Ice Climber's Blizzard)

Ness _ PK Flash (22-72%), PK thunder 1 (16%), PK fire bolt (8%)

Samus _ Charge Shot (6%-50%)

Kirby - any hat that copies a move, Final cutter energy beam (10%)

Mr. game and watch _ Sausages from chef (10%)

Characters with absorbing projectiles (16/26= 62%)

1st shot only Stages

Corneria _ Airwing shot(24% each), cannon shot(60% each)

Venom _ Airwing shot(20% each)

Stages with absorbing projectiles (2/29 = 7%)

1st shot only items

Shooting

Lip's Stick _ slow seed shot (16%), fast seed shot (16%)

Star Rod _ slow star shot (16%), fast star shot (24%)

Super Scope _ fire a shot(2-56%)

Ray Gun _ fire a shot (8%)

Fire Flower _ burn the foe (2%+)

Pokeball

Charizard _ flame thrower (4%-24% each)

Cyndaquil _ Fame Thrower (2%+)

Staryu _ swift (2%-50%)

Total types of items with absorbing skills (1/6 =17%)

Total types of items that absorb in shooting (5/5)

Total Pokemon with Healing Skills (3/30=10%)

Total % of items that heal (8/65=12%)

This is all rounded up

Total things (not the number but the things that could do it)that could heal you in this game (26/120=22%)
PSI Magnet: The best down B in the game. Except for most of them. It begins absorbing on the 10th frame, and has 20 frames of lag at the end. That being said, there are times when it is useful. Corneria's blaster heals Ness like a charm, provided you tech or just crouch the first hit. Be careful not to duck through the blasters when starting it up! In actual combat, use sparingly, such as if a spammer is far away, or if your teammate is Fox.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
are you sure the frame data is correct? it seems to have a lot more lag than that. and fox's down b is the best you silly goose ._.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
He said "The best down B in the game. Except for most of them."
Unless you are being a silly goose, he is the one who is joking.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Reading this guide made me want to play earthbound. Still never gonna play such a garbs char as Ness though.

I hear you guys consider him third fastest or something equally crazy? LOL

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure arrowhead, double checked on seanson's frame data project, but all it ensures is that there's 20 frames of lag after it stops absorbing. I'm pretty sure that it does that once the button is released. Also, remember, 20 frames is enough for most smashes to come out, let alone combo starters.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Hahahahahaha
I just noticed you have beencredited with this guide in the new collection of character guides in Melee discussion. I took the liberty of rating this thread myself. ;)

For a guy who deosn't main Ness, you sure are loyal to the little guy.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Eb360 never feels the love.

I'll finish my IC's section tommorow. Thanx for watching my vids *cough* *cough* whoops sorry that must be my bronchitis.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
It's allright Eb360. Go find out how to do the syyg and then you'll be my bestest friend.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
yay *metapost* $_$

MAD PROPS to this guide!!

I just noticed you have beencredited with this guide in the new collection of character guides in Melee discussion. I took the liberty of rating this thread myself. ;)

Ness - Bottom Tier - #22

Ness Super Guide: Created by annoying1359. DEPTH! DEPTH! DEPTH! This guide is awesome is what I am trying to say. If you are a Ness main then this guide is worth every bit of your training time. Look at it! - Posted 1/7/07 , Updated 2/3/07

Rating: None

Guide to PK Thunder: Created by Simna ibn Sind, a new moderater and Ness Master. Tells all there is to know about PK Thunder. Worth a look. - Posted 12/11/04 , Updated 6/28/05

Rating:

Nesstastic Guide: Created by NESSBOUNDER. Tis a nice guide with good depth. Not the deepest or newest one at there though. - Posted 6/23/04 , Updated 4/22/05

Rating:

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I actually made a comment about that in my thread. I'll finish the IC's tommorow since I have bronchtis. As I'm typing right now I am constantly coughing. At least it gives me practice time. Sorry I'm not working as fast on this guide as the other sections are going it's just that I'm reading all the other character guides so I'm better prepared in every matchup (esp. after getting four-stock by chinesah Roy... so don't expect me to talk about that matchup)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/not spam]

so....does anyone have anything i should add?

videos?
descriptions?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
A general description of Ness. Y'know, what he can do, why you should use him, etc.

Angrlylobster has some vids. I think Nessby hassome too. I'll see what I can find sometime.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
this guide is fricking awesome. I love it, and it's helped me get aight with ness and PKT

but

some of the moves are out of order (i.e. the flexwhip and tss)

.... well, that's actually the only one that caught my attention, but it was kinda confusing to look at it and try to find TSS

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Mabye in the matchup section I could put up a video of each matchup, like for the fox matchup I could put up one of the ender vs. simna vids or something. I'm not uploading any though, takes way to long to upload vids. Remember everybody, y'all can say something about what I said in the matchup section or add your own opinions.

EDIT:

Hey I was wondering if we could make a section devoted to the differences between ssb ness and ssbm ness. They have way different playstyles and moves. I could do it since I have access to a real game. PK Thunder is way different in that game (tailwhipping is near impossible).

EDIT EDIT:

There should be a combo section too.

turner

Smash Cadet
seriously pkt2 is not hard to learn who ever said it could take day, weeks or months i got it in about a matter of hours p***ing about jumping :p cause he has a seriously awsome jump

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Is that a response to what I said? Pk Thunder is hard to learn. Now to just move the thunder into ness' butt (akward image), but the many uses it could be used for (offensively and defensively).

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
if rep was on, i can tell turner would be at -15 right now.

ouch.

can you do thunder swell surprise, PKTBC, PKTRE? can you even hit yourself with it!?!?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
If it was, I'd be flooded with ones about my guide :chuckle:

I have done TSS, PKTBC, and PKTRE before in battle. I can hardly ever plan the PKTRE, but with luck and the right opponent, I can do the PKTBC and the TSS. I mainly do the PKTBC on edgeguard projectiles.

I really wish I had control over my own guide. i'd be making so many edits. Annoying, maybe when we have colloaborated more, maybe we can start a new thread allowing the people who made the parts of the guide have control over their posts. But the thread would have to be very rserved. Maybe not now, but probably someday?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
What do you guys think of my ideas. I'm still waiting for someone to do the fox n' falco matchups.

Edit: Simna can just turn control of the post to you eb360.

To Annoying: Do you want to put the vids of my matches up in the videos section. There are hardly any videos at all...

Top Bottom